Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adults who don't drive

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭facehugger99

I suspect most adults who don't drive would make very poor drivers, therefore I support their decision to stay off the road - there's enough bad drivers out there already.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Greyfox

McGrath5 wrote: »
    I would even go as far to say I would not date somebody who doesn't drive, it must be a right pain in the ar*e for one person to be stuck driving all the time.

So it's ok for you to assume all non drivers are the same? I'm a 38 year old non driver who will never own a car due to the insurance rip off but I never ask people for a lift. Stop assuming everyone that doesn't drive is the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,740 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Didn't start driving until my early 30s but it was the piss poor public transport and losing so much time waiting for it and then trundling along the wandering routes that finally made me get a car. This was in Dublin too.

Haven't looked back since. Couldn't go back to public transport.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

bear1 wrote: »
    Odd..
    So you take the test, get your licence and then never drive.
    You in turn forget how to drive and lose confidence and therefore need to start again.
    You essentially end up throwing money away.

its like riding a bike and its easier to learn in your teens and early twenties than in your 30's or god forbid your 40's. You could always take a refresher lesson if you need to.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Greyfox

silverharp wrote: »
    I think you need to be a special kind of idiot not to learn to drive, nobody is suggesting you have to have a car after that, but get the fekin test and don't be a leech in the future especially if you end up with a significant other.

This is the silliest post of 2018, why would anybody bother getting a licence if they have no intention of driving? Also there's no need to say such a thing about people who will never need a car, if your living in the city you'll never need a car

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

bear1 wrote: »
    Odd..
    So you take the test, get your licence and then never drive.
    You in turn forget how to drive and lose confidence and therefore need to start again.
    You essentially end up throwing money away.

Hasn't stopped a lot of ppl on the road ;) .
    I eventually learned to drive during an unemployed stint in my 20's. Its a handy skill to have, but I hate being reliant on driving places.
    What I really don't understand is ppl who never learned to ride a bike or swim.

Greyfox wrote: »
    This is the silliest post of 2018, why would anybody bother getting a licence if they have no intention of driving? Also there's no need to say such a thing about people who will never need a car, if your living in the city you'll never need a car

how can you predict the future like that? I think you would risk going on the undatable list. Would you honestly want to have a family with someone who wouldn't learn to drive, leaving the partner to drive everywhere, shopping , kids, nights out.

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

how can you predict the future like that? I think you would risk going on the undatable list. Would you honestly want to have a family with someone who wouldn't learn to drive, leaving the partner to drive everywhere, shopping , kids, nights out.

Then you learn to drive when they have kids or need to. I wouldn't want to date somebody who was so narrow minded.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I think you are so used to having a car, you can't imagine people who don't want or need one.

sugarman wrote: »
    I can but I chose not to. Absolutely no need living in Dublin.

I walk to work as it can take almost as long driving with the school traffic.

Theres several bus routes on my door step and a Luas not that much further if I need them but generally the only time I need to go anywhere, its out for a drink and I wouldnt be driving anyway.

I was insured for a few years as a named driver on the family car, but I must have only used it a dozen times at the cost of a few hundred a year.

Not driving has probably contributed to an extra €2-3k a year into my mortgage savings.

You are obviously an idiot saving so much money like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

its like riding a bike and its easier to learn in your teens and early twenties than in your 30's or god forbid your 40's. You could always take a refresher lesson if you need to.

But it's as I said.
    Getting your licence is a pretty expensive endeavour and if you never intend to drive then it's money wasted.
    To then go out and have to learn how to drive again is yet again more money wasted.
    The more time goes by the more cars change and what you were used to driving 20 years ago just to get your licence will be a totally different experience to driving now.
    Personally I needed and wanted my licence the moment I was able to and always will need it but I wouldn't tarnish everyone with the same brush that they must get a licence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭xi5yvm0owc1s2b

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    No excuses for adults not to learn.

Somebody who is 27 today would have been 17 when the financial crisis hit. Unemployment spiraled up to about 15%, and taxes increased very significantly on anyone who was working. New requirements such as 12 mandatory lessons with a qualified driving instructor were introduced, which also increased the cost of learning to drive. And insurance quotes for learners and novice drivers went through the roof.

Even the cost of sitting a driving test increased significantly, from €38 to €75 in April 2009. The price went up again to €85 in February 2011. The dole was cut to €100 a week for under-25s, meaning that it would have cost nearly a full week's dole to sit the test.

This combination of increased costs, lower household income, and reduced employment prospects mean that many parents at the time could not afford to put their teenagers on the road, and many young people, lacking jobs and incomes, couldn't afford it by themselves. So to say that there are no excuses is wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Birneybau wrote: »
    I don't drive and couldn't give a fcuk what some random internet person thinks of it

I like you.I like you a lot :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Never learned to drive, had the learner licence now twice, cost of starting is prohibitive without a decent income. Min 12 lessons + test then €2500 -€3000 to insure some tin can, maybe sabe a few quid on insurance by spending more on the bloody car. It's pretty much turned absolutely away from Mr Fords vision and become a toy for the (relatively) wealthy.

beauf wrote: »
    I think you are so used to having a car, you can't imagine people who don't want or need one.

Life gets complicated, I drive very little but that goes up and down based on circumstances and commute by bike so I love not driving, my question would still be how can you predict the future, I can guarantee that there is a good chance you would turn off someone of your preferred gender at sometime in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,782 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I'm 50-ish, and used to own a car. Now live in Galway city, bus to work, walk or bus to and from the supermarket. Use on-line shopping when I'm unable to carry my own groceries home. Hire a car when I want or need one. Strong supporter of using shared, professionally driven, transport (bus / train) whenever possible.

But even so I think that driving is something that all young adults should learn to do.

Saying "I'll learn when I need to" doesn't cut it - because often that need arises out of an emergency change to someone's life, and you don't have the luxury of a year or two's notice.

There's also a longer term reason: my mother never learned to drive. When she got old and couldn't walk anymore, she simply wasn't able to get the hang of using an electric wheelchair - the nurses reckoned that it was because she hadn't driven. Right pain in the a** for everyone else who had to push her around all the time, despite the technology existing for her to self-propel.

Life gets complicated, I drive very little but that goes up and down based on circumstances and commute by bike so I love not driving, my question would still be how can you predict the future, I can guarantee that there is a good chance you would turn off someone of your preferred gender at sometime in the future.
    Maybe you wouldn't be interested in somebody of the gender who was so shallow.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,342 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

My wife is an adult who doesn't drive and likely never will.
    She failed her driving test 3 times though and would likely fail another 300 as apparently turning your head when driving is impossible to do...

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,152 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I think you need to be a special kind of idiot not to learn to drive, nobody is suggesting you have to have a car after that, but get the fekin test and don't be a leech in the future especially if you end up with a significant other.

I do agree that everyone in this day and age and especially in this country should have the skill of being able to drive, even if only an automatic.

Now of course it doesn't mean they have to drive, they have to own a car or indeed that it stops one from being a leech on others.
    Being a leech is a character trait and is independent of being able to drive or not

Of course some will say they don't need to, but just look at Grayson's example.
    He is now working in states for period of time and he can't hire a car, even if just for a weekend to explore surroundings.

You never know when it might be very handy, whether for work, for personal reasons or for pleasure to be able to walk into a car hire firm to hire a car.

Even from perspective of holidays it is so limiting not to be able to drive.

Not being able to drive severely limits one's independence.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭Dj Stiggie

I don't drive. I had a provisional and was learning, but moved to Berlin when I was 19 and never needed to drive. I live in Copenhagen city centre now so I cycle everywhere or take amazing public transport when I need to. But yeah, I'm thick or whatever.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Being unable to drive didn’t stop me finding boyfriends and eventually a husband. :confused: I rarely leaned on any of them to drive me places. Open your mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Supercell wrote: »
    My wife is an adult who doesn't drive and likely never will.
    She failed her driving test 3 times though and would likely fail another 300 as apparently turning your head when driving is impossible to do...

Funny, I thought a severe neck-rotation-limiting injury was required to be able to drive, sure seems that way sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

I'm 30odd and don't drive. I did drive from when I was 19 up until this year, insurance renewal came around and I realised I hadn't used my car in 3 months. I work on the edge of the City Centre, work in the City Centre and generally shop daily because I prefer to do that. If I ever need a car for anything I'll just use GoCar.

One of my buddies has a car he paid 14k for, pays insurance/tax of around €1500 and drives to work daily which is about a 10minute walk away and that's pretty much all he uses it for, well the odd booty call too at stupid o'clock (He's a non drinker). That's a shocking waste of money in my eyes

• Registered Users Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

I'm 30odd and don't drive. I did drive from when I was 19 up until this year, insurance renewal came around and I realised I hadn't used my car in 3 months. I work on the edge of the City Centre, work in the City Centre and generally shop daily because I prefer to do that. If I ever need a car for anything I'll just use GoCar.

One of my buddies has a car he paid 14k for, pays insurance/tax of around €1500 and drives to work daily which is about a 10minute walk away and that's pretty much all he uses it for, well the odd booty call too at stupid o'clock (He's a non drinker). That's a shocking waste of money in my eyes
    Well it all depends how good the booty call is surely?

If the predictions of the future of motoring are to be believed, self driving cars will be everywhere and no one will own cars.

They just "whistle up" one using an app and it will come to their door and take them to where they go.

A bit like Taxis do today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭This Fat Girl Runs

I don't drive, never have and never will. I get around by walking or taking a bus. If I absolutely need to be driven I get a taxi. Why my decision to not drive offends you is beyond me.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,624 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

kona wrote: »
    Yeah we really need more teenagers on the road.

Plenty of 17 year olds can afford to run a car alright.

Driving is a life skill and can be beneficial to getting employment.
    Driving is killing our planet.

Those 17 year olds would be better off learning to pilot a boat, if the sea levels keep rising.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

Growing up in Dublin I didn't see the need for it. As an adult in Dublin I only needed one when I moved house. As an adult outside of Dublin it was clearly restrictive and inconvenient not to have one - so I learnt to drive and got a car. Where I live now, you need a car to get anywhere further than the local petrol station and post office.

I never assumed people should drive me places. When people did give me lifts I'd give money for petrol if sharing journeys, or token gifts like a few cans of beer if they were doing me an outright favour like helping me move house.

It was extremely inconvenient and quite expensive learning to drive after leaving home, since you can't use your parents' cars or have them as qualified accompaniers. In retrospect it was a bad idea not to get licence sorted as early as possible. But it was just a bad decision, not being a big baby or a leech or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭McGrath5

Greyfox wrote: »
    So it's ok for you to assume all non drivers are the same? I'm a 38 year old non driver who will never own a car due to the insurance rip off but I never ask people for a lift. Stop assuming everyone that doesn't drive is the same.

If you had read my post properly you would see that I am taking aim at non drivers who are expecting to be carted around by drivers simply because they are too lazy / stingy to learn to drive themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

I don't drive. Don't ask for lifts. Live beside a train station so it rarely bothers me. If anything I am always turning down lifts as drivers think there is no other way. There are taxis and public transport bikes,your feet.
    I walk a lot and am the same Weight as twenty years ago. Maybe if people drovery less there would be less faties around.

Yup this. Most people I know won't walk to the nearby shop, they will drive. In fact they will drive to anything really within walking distance out of pure laziness.

I'm not driving yet, but aim to within the next few years. I'm 31 and have mostly lived in cities.

I really don't understand this stigma towards people who aren't on the road yet so what? I consider myself extremely independent and unless where it is absolutely necessary may ask for a lift. Always offer petrol money. Public transport takes care of the rest.

I keep in decent shape too by walking to the shops!

Advertisement