Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many units of alcohol a week do you drink?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

For some people yes, they would pile on a ton of weight.

For other people no, they wouldn't gain a pound and might even lose weight.

All depends on the metabolism.

I’d say it depends on how much is eaten. A “fast metabolism” can’t hide 1000 kcal a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,619 ✭✭✭erica74

I drink between 6 and 8 times per year, sometimes less. I have no interest in it being a nightly or weekly thing and I really don't care about people who do drink nightly or weekly so long as nobody takes the "OHMYGOD, you don't drink" approach with me. My husband drinks even less than I do, more money for nice things:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

It's that beer drinking low-class riff-raff that is the problem loud and pi*sing everywhere.

sesn40.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I'd say that hop house will be gone soon. Rotten :P:pac:

Again, that's just your opinion. I love the stuff, but I don't always drink Hop House

• Registered Users Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

It's that beer drinking low-class riff-raff that is the problem loud and pi*sing everywhere.

sesn40.jpg

- that Champagne came from Lidl

(I know because I have a bottle in my press at the minute, that I will give as a present next weekend)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

80 units is like 5 or 6 pints Monday-Friday- Friday, 10 pints Saturday.

I know people who drink at least 200 units a week. U notice it a lot more in the country pubs than citiy pubs.

Its not that much.

80 units is quite a lot, the people doing 200 a week are outliers and doing a lot of damage to their body ,undeniably, and shouldnt use them as guideline of what is 'too much'!

If you drink more than 20 units a week its too much and you are putting yourself at higher risk of damahing your body from alcohol and thats just the way it is unfortunately! Its backed up by thousands of studies and theres just no getting around it if you care about your health, no matter how many people you know who drink crazy amounts

El Tarangu wrote: »
    - that Champagne came from Lidl

(I know because I have a bottle in my press at the minute, that I will give as a present next weekend)

Duh that's the joke.

Just about to drink this one and see if I survive.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

On average, maybe 2/3 unit a week, drink maybe 13 times a year.

But the amount of women in their 50's that I know who drink a bottle or 2 of wine a night isn't even funny.

A work colleague will have maybe 12 bottles a wine in a week and maybe a shoulder of vodka too.

And she wonders why her anti-depressants aren't working...genuinely scary:(

wakka12 wrote: »
    80 units are quite a lot, the people doing 200 a week are outliers and doing a lot of damage to their body, undeniably, and shouldn't use them as a guideline of what is 'too much'!

If you drink more than 20 units a week its too much and you are putting yourself at higher risk of damaging your body from alcohol and that's just the way it is, unfortunately! Its backed up by thousands of studies and there's just no getting around it if you care about your health, no matter how many people you know who drink crazy amounts

That's not that much really.

Beavis.jpg?w968h681

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    On average, maybe 2/3 unit a week, drink maybe 13 times a year.

But the amount of women in their 50's that I know who drink a bottle or 2 of wine a night isn't even funny.

A work colleague will have maybe 12 bottles a wine in a week and maybe a shoulder of vodka too.

And she wonders why her anti-depressants aren't working...genuinely scary:(

If she is bad now wait until the MUP comes into effect.:P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭Cockadoodledoo

I go out approx 4 times a year. Apart from that 0 alcohol.

I’d never drink on my own though, that’s just sad

Judging by this I’d guess you’re quite young. Nothing wrong or “sad” about having a drink after a hard days work. You’ll understand when you’re a bit older. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭marketty

Arrah I wouldn't be fond of drinking, but when I do go at it, I do go at it awful and very hard. I'd have about 45 pints in about 2 hours, and I'd have an aul packet a crips then or an aul packet eh eh peanuts, and I'd...ah I'd have 3 more anyway. And I'd get up in the morning then, and Maureen'd have the fry on.

And I'd go at it again. And I tell ya one thing, there'd be no fückin stopping me. I'd drink the shirt off any man's back.

Bastards.

45 pints in 2 hours? Thats impressive speed! And you must have a very deep wallet

45 pints in 2 hours? Thats impressive speed! And you must have a very deep wallet

I think he is lying I bet he barely even downs 35 in that two hours.:p

edit and a big bladder.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Kevin Finnerty

marketty wrote: »
    Arrah I wouldn't be fond of drinking, but when I do go at it, I do go at it awful and very hard. I'd have about 45 pints in about 2 hours, and I'd have an aul packet a crips then or an aul packet eh eh peanuts, and I'd...ah I'd have 3 more anyway. And I'd get up in the morning then, and Maureen'd have the fry on.

And I'd go at it again. And I tell ya one thing, there'd be no fückin stopping me. I'd drink the shirt off any man's back.

Bastards.

"The fry". With or without tomato?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

30 and over. A bit too much, but I ****ng love beer.

0 units for wine or spirits, no interest in anything other than a nice cold beer or 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭weemcd

Some weeks zero
    Some weeks 10-15
    Some weeks 20+

Depends. I did a sober October there with ease. Once it was over I had quite a few drinks over the first week/10 days of November. I've tapered off again though.

I might have some wine tomorrow evening, or I could easily be into December before I have a drink again.

I know plenty of people who can't do this and would struggle to go more than a week without drinking. It's a problem over here. (I'm 30 btw, most of my friends would be inside 25-35 age bracket.)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

12 units so far this week, including the 5 I'm drinking tonight. (2 bottles of Tyskie-why don't we have a Pole? :pac:)

Pherekydes wrote: »
    12 units so far this week, including the 5 I'm drinking tonight. (2 bottles of Tyskie-why don't we have a Pole? :pac:)

I hit a pole once but I had a good excuse I was Russian at the time.:P

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    That's their problem though.

Except unless you live in a bubble this worldview is, of course, arrant balderdash. It's far more than their problem when drunken bastard crashes into some innocent person, or smashes the face off their partner or children or launches a drunken attack on innocent people on the street, or clogs up our health system with their self-inflicted idiocy or contributes to the billions already lost to the economy in drink-related work absences and mistakes or ...

Another idiot. Not everyone who has a drink causes enormous damage to anyone.

Still struggling with the old English comprehension there I see, Pat.
    Fools like that don't mean we're all the same though.

And again. God bless us but you certainly have an affinity for the strawman.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Still struggling with the old English comprehension there I see, Pat.

And again. God bless us but you certainly have an affinity for the strawman.

The strawman word has made an appearance already. Boards arguing by numbers, you're getting lazy.

Like I said, I cause no issues when I drink and that's all I have to worry about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Bobtheman wrote: »
    Will you see old age though?!

Oh I see old age all around me, but if you're talking about me personally well I run at a minimum 30km a week (I throw in a Parkrun.ie or charity event on the weekend), I cycle 40km every day, I'm a Judo black belt with a number of national championship titles and have represented Ireland.

My job involves an annual medical and a requirement to pass a fitness test, I'm also 52 yrs old.. So I'll ask you, what will you be doing at my age?.

I enjoy a beer, a book and a bowl of chicken wings (don't forget the hot sauce and plenty of salt) on occasion, what's your indulgence?.

I have my health issues but none too serious, at 52 and a very active life style most of us will.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Generally have two bottles early in the day, one with breakfast, one at 11am. Often have one with lunch too and generally have about six pints of an evening in the pub. Good bit more on Sat and Sunday, go down after having a bit of food, about twoish, and stay till midnight or so. Maybe up to 120 units a week, but I don’t drive or have many other hobbies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Theres nothing wrong with nightly drinking so long as its 3-4 units, its the amount that is bad not how often or when you drink alcohol!

I thought they are saying now that daily drinking is the highest risk factor for liver disease, even in relatively moderate amounts? The advice is to have 2-3 consecutive alcohol free days a week at least.

I don't drink at all on weeknights usually. A glass of wine with dinner if we go out maybe. Share a bottle or 2 with the husband on one of the weekend nights. I think that's too much though. Think I'll cut it out altogether in the new year for a few months at least.

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I thought they are saying now that daily drinking is the highest risk factor for liver disease, even in relatively moderate amounts? The advice is to have 2-3 consecutive alcohol free days a week at least.

I don't drink at all on weeknights usually. A glass of wine with dinner if we go out maybe. Share a bottle or 2 with the husband on one of the weekend nights. I think that's too much though. Think I'll cut it out altogether in the new year for a few months at least.

Drinking 2 units or less per day has been widely shown to have pretty much no negative health impacts
    What they say seems to change yearly though, used to have some apparent health benefits to drinking very lightly but apparently thats been ruled out now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭henryforde80

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Would buy a fridge pack of a Friday and drink it over the wknd so 16 units most weeks. This is a massive reduction as I used to drink every evening. I got in to fitness and weights in particular a while back and I know the drink is killing my progress so I might try to knock it on the head soon, it’s really only a habit at this stage.

I used to be a wicked binge drinker if I’m out or if there is something on, probably because the gang I grew up with are big drinkers. A big night out wipes my energy for days now so I try to limit these excursions to a few times a year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Montgolfier

I'm t totally pissed

Advertisement