Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many units of alcohol a week do you drink?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

I've knocked drinking on the head dramatically over the last two years or so. Gone from drinking almost nightly to happily going two or three months without a single drink. Just prefer to be clear headed and not hungover these days, tis better for the mind and body, and the wallet too I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

marketty wrote: »
    Arrah I wouldn't be fond of drinking, but when I do go at it, I do go at it awful and very hard. I'd have about 45 pints in about 2 hours, and I'd have an aul packet a crips then or an aul packet eh eh peanuts, and I'd...ah I'd have 3 more anyway. And I'd get up in the morning then, and Maureen'd have the fry on.

And I'd go at it again. And I tell ya one thing, there'd be no fückin stopping me. I'd drink the shirt off any man's back.

Bastards.

Well holy god the pint man Paddy Losty alive and well. Mad for the 45 pints and crips he is. (No not crisps, crips)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Very little. I'm drinking maybe once every 2-3 months at the moment. Averaged out, 2 units per week tops

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

None... not a drop, not an iota...

ceadaoin. wrote: »
    I thought they are saying now that daily drinking is the highest risk factor for liver disease, even in relatively moderate amounts? The advice is to have 2-3 consecutive alcohol free days a week at least.
    wakka12 wrote: »
    Drinking 2 units or less per day has been widely shown to have pretty much no negative health impacts.

Actually, in a well-publicised extensive study in 2018 the advice is that, by a long shot and contrary to the previous view, avoiding alcohol entirely is the healthiest option.

How much alcohol is too much? The science is shifting.
    Researchers are changing how they study the risks of alcohol — and it’s making drinking look worse.... In September, a World Health Organization report found an estimated 3 million people die every year because of alcohol consumption. That’s 5 percent of all deaths. Booze is also a leading risk factor for early death and disability among people aged 15 and 49.

In April, a big meta-study involving 600,000 participants, published in April in the Lancet, suggested that levels of alcohol previously thought to be relatively harmless are linked with an earlier death. What’s more, drinking small amounts of alcohol may not carry all the long-touted protective effects on the cardiovascular system...

'No alcohol safe to drink, global study confirms'
    Bad news for those who enjoy what they think is a healthy glass of wine a day.

A large new global study published in the Lancet has confirmed previous research which has shown that there is no safe level of alcohol consumption.

The researchers admit moderate drinking may protect against heart disease but found that the risk of cancer and other diseases outweighs these protections.

A study author said its findings were the most significant to date because of the range of factors considered...

'A new study says any amount of alcohol is bad for you'
    ... “The evidence is adding up that no amount of drinking is safe,” says study co-author Emmanuela Gakidou, a professor of global health and health metrics sciences at the University of Washington. “I don’t think we’re going out on a limb to say anything that the data do not support.”

The new research was based on a review of nearly 700 existing studies on global drinking prevalence and nearly 600 studies on alcohol and health, and found that alcohol was the seventh leading risk factor for premature death in 2016, contributing to 2.8 million deaths worldwide. That number is equivalent to 2.2% of all female deaths and 6.8% of all male deaths that year, according to the study.

The health risks likely only increase the more you drink, the study found. Compared to non-drinkers, people who had one alcoholic beverage per day had a 0.5% higher risk of developing one of 23 alcohol-related health problems, including cancer, road injuries and tuberculosis, in a given year, the study says...

• Advertisement

I read the above too and think it is accurate. Alcohol is at base a poison.

I have some kind of allergy as even a sip has a terrible effect .

And the effect on one of my neighbours would put anyone off for life.. I literally did not recognise him when he was drunk. Thought we had a new, mentally and physically handicapped resident. When I asked who it was my neighbours were stunned

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

That's a hard one for me to estimate - I might not drink any alcohol for a couple of weeks, then maybe have 2 pints on a night out, or maybe have one at home sharing with the husband.
    If I looked at an average over a year, I'd guess somewhere less than 1 unit a week.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,845 ✭✭✭✭somesoldiers

24 units of Bulmers every month, 1 sitting

25 to 30 units would be pretty much the minimum. Could regularly get up to 60+ though on heavy weeks when there is events on (weddings, bank holidays, birthday days etc etc) and weeks like Christmas etc could see 100.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭oceanman

about 60 units a week on average, more at times like Christmas ect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

0 some weeks
    1-3 other weeks
    once in a while a bit more but i'm not a big drinker. especially compared to most of these posts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

bluewolf wrote: »
    0 some weeks
    1-3 other weeks
    once in a while a bit more but i'm not a big drinker. especially compared to most of these posts...

I'd love to be like that but I genuinely enjoy the taste of beer.

Or I love a whiskey and reading in bed, from the time I wake in the morning my feet barely touch the ground so this is my time to chill and unwind.

One thing I hate is smoking, I think that's far worse than a drink. There's nothing positive about smoking but there's a lot to be said for a decent pint (and a bowl of chicken wings lol).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Well smoking helps some people unwind and people use it as a social crutch as well, theyre both equally unhealthy really if overdone, glass houses and stones and all that!

That you Robert McCall?

I had to Google that and a few Robert McCall's came back in the search, so I'm sorry you've lost me :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Thomyokk

250-300 some weeks binging

Either drink nothing or very moderately seems to be the best way with health concerns and drink driving laws

It depends. Since Friday I've had two bottles of beer. I'll have two tonight. Then a pint Tuesday maybe. Some weekends I'd drink more. I suppose it's an average of 7 to 8 units a week.

There's a bit of judgement in this thread. Drink affects us all in different ways and for many it can be a problem. For others it's an enjoyment without any of the negative behaviours. Also the craft beer industry has turned alcohol in to something that can be experienced in a different way, people being interested in different hops and how the drink is produced.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I used to only drink 2-3 times a month but I'd have a feed of pints once I was out.

I stopped drinking a few years back, one effect I've noticed is my social circle has shrunk to sweet FA because I can't be arsed sitting in a pub stone cold sober while everyone else is getting gargled

It depends. Since Friday I've had two bottles of beer. I'll have two tonight. Then a pint Tuesday maybe. Some weekends I'd drink more. I suppose it's an average of 7 to 8 units a week.

There's a bit of judgement in this thread. Drink affects us all in different ways and for many it can be a problem. For others it's an enjoyment without any of the negative behaviours. Also the craft beer industry has turned alcohol in to something that can be experienced in a different way, people being interested in different hops and how the drink is produced.

See it as caring and caution, not judgment? A fine thing when we cannot express valid caution without being called judgmental :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Graces7 wrote: »
    See it as caring and caution, not judgment? A fine thing when we cannot express valid caution without being called judgmental :eek:

There's been far more than caution expressed in a lot of posts. Non drinkers can be extremely sanctimonious.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I've had 0 units for the last few weeks. I will go on a fierce session in a few weeks though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

Recommended not to exceed 25 isn't it ?
    I'd say on average I'd drink 10-15 units a week, maybe 20-30 over christmas.
    But still, I'd like to cut down.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Obi_Wan_Kenobi

lertsnim wrote: »
    I've had 0 units for the last few weeks. I will go on a fierce session in a few weeks though.

I actually managed to do "Sober October" this year, and I also usually do dry January ... just to make up for the over indulgence in Summer/Christmas...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Patww79 wrote: »
    There's been far more than caution expressed in a lot of posts. Non drinkers can be extremely sanctimonious.

But on the other hand, some drinkers are immediately on the defensive around non-drinkers. I don’t really drink but there’s no judgement here. My husband and nearly all my friends drink. But I’ve witnessed very obvious defensive body language from various people down the years when I say I’m not drinking. And some downright peer pressure: “Ah go on, you’ll have one”. “Ah, go on”. Followed by perplexed expressions. That’s equally as judgemental. It cuts both ways.

But on the other hand, some drinkers are immediately on the defensive around non-drinkers. I don’t really drink but there’s no judgement here. My husband and nearly all my friends drink. But I’ve witnessed very obvious defensive body language from various people down the years when I say I’m not drinking. And some downright peer pressure: “Ah go on, you’ll have one”. “Ah, go on”. Followed by perplexed expressions. That’s equally as judgemental. It cuts both ways.

So far in this thread we've had stuff like "retarded" and a blanket "ugly addiction" amongst others. So while you may not be judgemental, you're not everyone. Definitely cuts both ways but I was replying to someone saying there was nothing but genuine concern from non drinkers.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'd love to be like that but I genuinely enjoy the taste of beer.

Or I love a whiskey and reading in bed, from the time I wake in the morning my feet barely touch the ground so this is my time to chill and unwind.

One thing I hate is smoking, I think that's far worse than a drink. There's nothing positive about smoking but there's a lot to be said for a decent pint (and a bowl of chicken wings lol).

Don't like beer, don't like wine, don't like most spirit& mixer beyond 1 drink. Flavoured cider is lovely but unless it's something like rekorderlig, they're all too heavy for me to have more than one... or even one full koppaberg.
    Sparkling wine is the business and the odd cocktail.
    I do genuinely enjoy a nice prosecco/cava/whatever which is why it's not 0 units more often

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I rarely drink any more, even on a night out. If I do, since it's so rare I like to have something like a good whiskey (Japanese is my favourite) or gin (love gunpowder gin), a good wine or if I'm keeping it simple I'll have Guinness. I don't drink beer or cider ever really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Dalomanakora

Absolutely. I don't drink much or often at all, but I love a nice craft beer. It's not always about getting drunk, I genuinely love the taste, and the taste of a nice red wine.

Lots of people enjoy drinking plenty of units without getting drunk like.

I've been off and gargle and sober a week.. Not this week, I mean a week in total since I started 30 years ago :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Furanach vs Patww79. Enough to drive any misfortunate reader to drink.

• Advertisement

Furanach vs Patww79. Enough to drive any misfortunate reader to drink.

Bit late but your top class input is noted. Have a large slap on the back and the first of the many thanks you seek.

Advertisement