Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goals for 2018?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭Duanington

OOnegative wrote: »
    What about the red meat bit D?

ha ha ha - I'm all over that one B!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

Peterx wrote: »
    3 or 4 runs a week, every week (starting next week :) )

Win an IMRA race - hopefully the College Champs in my last year of night classes

Beat my fecking age to the top at Slieve Donard - that should be getting easier at least!

Sub 17 Parkrun

3/4 runs a week - no
    IMRA win - no, and didn't make startline for College Champs
    Slieve Donard - no, I was well off, missed by about 3 minutes
    Nowhere near a sub 17 parkrun

More positively the summer is back, I am relatively uninjured and will get fitter the longer I stay uninjured and so a sneaky win on a quiet IMRA race is still possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

Realize I missed this last year. Gonna try and approach this as a performance review and something specific enough that it is measurable

Mileage - 3000 (This year to date - 3055)
    Simple fact that this is a target is with a new baby come April maintaining mileage will be sign that I have managed it well

Tracking as 140 miles behind of target

Performance
    - PB's - 10k, HM, Marathon - (current PBs: 34.10/1.16.01/2.43.01)
    Bronze - 1% improvement,
    Silver - 2% improvement,
    Gold - 5% improvement

Silver Target for HM with 1.14.48 PB

Competition
    - 2 Championships gold medals (Dublin/Leinster/All Ireland) - (Currently 1 from 2017)
    - Top 10 Dublin Intermediate XC (Best previous performances - 11th, 13th)

1 team gold Achieved so far and an individual bronze

Coaching
    - 24 PB's achieved (from 11 athletes)
    Achieved - 29 PB's to date

- 3 >5% improvement PB's (largest in 2017 - 17.5%/10 min over 10k)

Currently 2 - 11% and 7% improvements and a 3% as next best

- 2 CountyProvincial/National Championship medals ( 2 achieved in 2017)

Achieved - 1 National medal/1 Provincial

- 1 Outright Podium Finish (1 Race win in 2017)
    3rd Place Outright

Half year update

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RayCun wrote: »
    sub 2:49 in Rotterdam

(which requires doing a fair amount of consistent training before then, which means not getting injured, which means maintaining/improving S&C)

will decide goals for the second half of the year after that one

:o

So, second half of the year goals will be very similar to first half of the year goals -

sub 2:49 in Dublin

along the way...

Track 5k - plan is to stick with the 17:30 pacer until about 500m to go, should scrape under 17:24

Mullingar 10 mile - PB is 61:16, should be much closer to 60 but I doubt I'll get under the hour

Tullamore half - PB is 81:28, again should be closer to 80 but I expect to be on the wrong side of it

Blessington 10k - run all the way :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

healy1835 wrote: »
    Main goal is sub 3 Marathon in Rotterdam. PB 3:15:26

After that I reckon (hope) almost all of my PBs are there for the taking.

5k: Sub 18. Will actually have to run a 5k race for the first time to do this obviously, 18:58 PB from my solitary Parkrun in 2016.

5m: Sub 30. 30:55 PB from Raheny just gone. Reckon this is there for me right now, hopefully going to run Ferrycarraig 5 in the New Year and knock this off the list.

10k: Sub 37. Ran a 37:52 10k split in a 12k race a couple of weeks back. 37 seems the next logical step.

10m: Sub 62. Running Trim in Feb so will have a rattle there first. PB of 65:55 is pretty soft.

Half: Sub 1:24 Would hope to go lower but that's a number that hits a lot of targets for me. PB of 1:25:55 from Tullamore this year when I had an iffy enough day at office.

Looking at reassessing goals for the second half of the year here.....really hungover from a stag in Edinburgh so just putting runners on in the next 24hrs is my first goal, but I might as well decide on a couple more :)

Have ran a 2:59 marathon, 1:22 half, & a couple of sub 30 5milers this year so that's a few ticked off already. So for the rest of the year, in order of importance, i will try to.....

*Run a PB in DCM, by how much I'm not sure, but I know that with a good block I can take another bit off my time from Limerick.

*Sub 1:22 half, probably the race series half will be my crack at it.

I'll probably get a 10 miler and 10k in before Dublin too, but the top two are the main priorities. Running the night of the Irish PBs so will hopefully run a decent time there but I've no lofty expectations for that at this moment in time. But first things first, need to get those runners back on.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Sub 37 10k
    Achieved. 36.05 in Ennis.

Sub 1.30 HM
    Achieved. 1.21.44 in Limerick

Maybe run DCM?
    Decided against running DCM.

Win a parkrun.
    May not bother trying this.

Sub 18 5k
    Achieved. 17.42 and 17.36 in June.

Sub 30 5M.
    May well happen! The club are supporting a 5M in August which I completely forgot about so might have a crack at it there. I've run sub 30 five miles in a 10k so it's a meaningless goal at this stage.

What a great first half to the year. So I guess I need a new set of goals for the second half.

1.20.xx in Charleville HM. Tempted to say sub 1.20 but we'll see.
    Repeat sub 36.30 in Killarney 10k.
    Run XC - no specific goals as I have no clue what to expect.

The 10k goal might seem soft but I want to be consistent as opposed to running pbs all the time.
    Not sure what's gonna happen with the 5k. We'll see with that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

1) Get past the 100 mile mark at Belfast 24hr
    2) Sub 10:00 for 100k (currently 10:37) . Probably Spartans Way in April

That's it for 2018.

I have to try not to get distracted by the shorter races and keep my training mileage up.
    All going well, I might have a crack at my Marathon PB (3:27) in the Autumn.

So, didn't quite make either of my targets.

Finished Spartans Way 100k in 10h:10m, seemed to be a couple of km short though my GPS gave up around 90km. Happy that I felt strong off of minimal training and plugged away on the return leg into the wind, it was worth sub-10 in my head anyway!

Belfast 24 I was well up on target with 108km at 12 hours, but my body gave out. First an adductor muscle seized up which laid me up for the best part of 2 hours. Got in another 30 km before I developed severe shin pain. I figured the extra few km weren't worth the possible damage so called it a day at 144km. (Turned out that was anterior compartment syndrome and is just pain free now after a week's rest)

Not too disappointed, and glad that I got through training without injury for once.
    If time allows I'll be having another crack at these, otherwise it's back to the shorter stuff for next year.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Registered Users Posts: 27 sutrra

sutrra wrote: »
    Limerick, Belfast and Dublin Marathons. 100 Miles of Istria (green route), Mourne Way Marathon, Kerry Ultralite, and at the end of the year hopefully break the 11.05 time from last year Raw Ultra WW.
    Started and Finished Istria with a Fever , and losed almost one hour at the Aid Stations, Limerick and Belfast Marathons did like some kind of long runs, and at the end was very happy with how did the Mourne Way Marathon 50 miler managed to finish, in the last 10k passed 6 people that runned the Ultra so it was a nice feeling that after 10 hours of running there is still energy to push the pace .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

Belfast 24 I was well up on target with 108km at 12 hours, but my body gave out.

Given your 100km time (which to my mind was your tougher target), I reckon your pacing was excellent there, and you would have sailed past your 100 mile target with tons to spare.

Recover well, and with another year's training behind you hopefully the resulting improved resilience will convert that potential into reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

OOnegative wrote: »
    We just have over a week left in 2017, time to see what goals lay ahead for folks in 2018? Will get the ball rolling i suppose:

1. 1.25 Half marathon at CPC Loop Den Haag in March.
    2. Stay injury free once more.
    3. Improve 5k/10k PB's.
    4. And for the season that's in it, a surprise please.

Wishing everyone a very fruitful running year in 2018.

Just update this, ran a marathon PB in Koln 9 days ago, have improved the following PB's this year:

10k: 40.54 to 38.46 - a 2min 8secs improvement.
    Half Marathon: 1.31.39 to 1.26.11 - a 5min 28secs improvement.
    Marathon: 3.20.32 to 3.15.10 - a 5min 22secs improvement.

Time to hang the runners up now till 2019:P:P:P.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

adrian522 wrote: »
    Can we just assume no one wants to get injured and get to the actual goals? :D

I'm being punished for posting this. Karma etc...:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

ReeReeG wrote: »
    1 Mile: 6:45 (current PB 7:07)
    5k: 21:xx (current PB 23:29)
    5 Mile: 37:xx (current PB 43:03)
    10k: Sub 45 but this will be latter part of 2018 I think (Current PB 47:38)
    10 mile: 1:20:xx (Current PB 1:30:xx)
    1/2 marathon: 1:50:xx (Current PB 2:01:xx)
    Marathon: To complete my first :)
    Completely forgot I had put these here... laughing at my absolute notions for 5k and 10k goals. Think I got confused between 2018 and 2020 maybe :p 
    Updates so:
    5k: 21:xx (current PB 23:29)    22:48 in parkrun Oct 2018, haven't done an actual 5k race this year
    5 Mile: 37:xx (current PB 43:03)   37:39 Raheny Jan 2018
    10k: Sub 45 but this will be latter part of 2018 I think (Current PB 47:38) only 10k to date this year was a DNF
    10 mile: 1:20:xx (Current PB 1:30:xx) 1.19.47 Sept 2018
    1/2 marathon: 1:50:xx (Current PB 2:01:xx) 1.46.54 March 2018
    Marathon: To complete my first :) Completed May 2018... and hopefully completing a second in less than 2 weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭TheBigGreen

Update...
    1. 5k - sub 18 (currently 18:10) 17:58
    2. 10k - sub 38 (currently 39:31) Same
    3. 10 miler - sub 1:05 (currently 1:06:14) 1:05:13
    4. Half - sub 1:28 (currently 1:28:56) 1:27:54
    5. Marathon - sub 3:30 (currently 3:42:30) DCM next
    6. Run 1800 miles Currently at 1784 miles

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

Goals for 2018.

5k: beat 17:38
    Park Run: Run (at least)1 Park Run under 18 mins

10k: Sub 36 (PB 36:09)

10m: 60.xxmins (PB 62:xx)

HM: 79:xx

Mara - TBD (....Don't cramp??)

My 5m race last year in Dunboyne was one of my favourite personal performances of last year - 28:5x - matching that or beating it would be a bonus.

oh yes, maybe get a job at some stage after Jan 31st! :)

Set a 5k PB - 17.25 & Got a Job.

Disappointed with my HM performance (Bohermeen) - A 10m PB in Trim but at a slower time than target - while weather conditions (Too warm) hindered the 5m & 10k ambitions.

Lets see what DCM brings for the Marathon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,583 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

1) Carryover from last year, break 60 minutes for 10 miles.
    2) Cork half marathon. Have done it a few times before but never as a target race. Current pb is 1.21.00.
    3) Marathon in Eindhoven in October.
    4) One race every month

Also get married.

As I have my feet up at the moment after the marathon, I will update my Goals.

1) still not achieved. Pb this year at the kilcock 10 from 10 in August by 2 seconds but still work to do.

2) cork half was grand. A head cold around the race weekend didn't help.

3) marathon was in Frankfurt instead of Eindhoven. Pb was 2.53.06 it's now 2.47.22. Frankfurt was the same day as Dublin so great to be on the same training/ race schedule as the lads I train with.

4) not achieved. March/April were missed.

Got married in February so achieved that goal. I will leave it up to your own discretion as to where that was on the goal list. ðŸ˜႒

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭MisterDrak

MisterDrak wrote: »
    1M - National Road relays. Need to get picked for this, and if I do run drag this old body to a sub 5:35.
    5K - Sub 19:30. Probably Fr Collins Parkrun
    5M - Always give the Raheny 5 a good blast, Aim for sub 33
    10K - Only really the Fingal and Dunsaughlin for this. Anything sub 40
    10M - Battle of Clontarf in April, Sub 68 or Race series (Aug) sub 67
    Half - Sub 1:30 R&R or Race Series. Sub 1:32 in Strawberry (Hilly F*er)

General -
    2-3 XC's masters - Just finish strong...
    Top 3 (Division 2 - Winter League).
    2 Races in the sun somewhere.
    6-7 different Parkrun's around the country.

Lost out to injury for the majority of 2018 unfortunately, and what a summer not to be running :mad:

Of the above Goals:-

Road Relays, managed to get picked for the M50 A team, and bag a team National Silver. The mile split was around 5:42 for just over the mile.

5K - Again the injury sustained on the road relays put pay to any PB aspirations. But best Parkrun of the year was last Saturday and a 20:48. A 20:30 by Xmas ?

10K - Missed the few over the summer.

10M - Battle of Clontarf, - 69:29, and got a Dublin M50 Team silver. Mainly earned by a great run by Martin.

Half - None. Doing the Clontarf half this Saturday 17th . Again the lack of running will hamper any fast time here. Anything sub 1:40 will be great.

Generally a poor year with the sustained Achilles problems. Looking forward to a solid training block over the winter, to come back strong next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,782 ✭✭✭squinn2912

squinn2912 wrote: »
    2:55 marathon ultimate goal. Will try in may and again in dcm if unsuccessful.
    2017 yielded a sum total of zero races dude to inward growing verruca, no running for 4 months.
    2018 will be different. In spring I want to do 3 HM and the 2:55 then reassess for autumn.
    10k sub 37
    10m sub 60
    HM sub 1:23
    Would be delighted to get pbs

2018 ended up a much better year.
    10k - 38 something. In March haven’t done one since.
    10m - didn’t race the distance
    HM - 1:23:13 on a climby Dublin Rock n Roll course pb
    Marathon - 2:54:59. Huge performance but more in me

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Classic21

Classic21 wrote: »
    Distance|Current PB|Target
    Marathon| 3:16:56|3:09:59
    Half|1:26:46|1:24:59
    10 Miles|68:45|66:00
    10k|39:35|38:00
    5K|18:46|18:00

Marathon - 3:08:32, achieved goal but can do better
    Half - 1:23:40, best performance of the year
    10 mile - 65:15 in a race but covered the distance quicker in the half marathon
    10k - 38:45, a PB but the only distance I raced where I didn’t achieve my goal for the year
    5K - didn’t race this distance

I realised that 5k & 10k are the hardest goal times to meet, maybe 2019 and a realistic attempt at sub 3!

Marathon - 3:08:32, achieved goal but can do better
    Half - 1:23:40, best performance of the year
    10 mile - 65:15 in a race but covered the distance quicker in the half marathon
    10k - 38:45, a PB but the only distance I raced where I didn’t achieve my goal for the year
    5K - didn’t race this distance

I realised that 5k & 10k are the hardest goal times to meet, maybe 2019 and a realistic attempt at sub 3!

Great running. Marathon and 10m stick out a bit I’d be interested to know if there was anything up like a head cold or niggle? Your half and 10k show there’s more than enough there for a sub3

Great running. Marathon and 10m stick out a bit I’d be interested to know if there was anything up like a head cold or niggle? Your half and 10k show there’s more than enough there for a sub3

Thanks squinn, I followed your marathon build up with great interest and I was delighted to see you get your time.
    My 10m was at the start of the year so I’m ok with that time from then but there is scope to improve.
    For the marathon I have no proper reason, I got to 21 miles on 3hr pace but faded badly. Looking back at training cycle maybe not enough long runs or hilly training but I can’t put my finger on it yet. I pulled up 10 days out during my last hard run with a pain in my hip/glute. I had a 2 mile walk home but I was ok by race day.
    My half was in charleville so maybe this is a skewed time as it is such a quick course

• Advertisement

Thanks squinn, I followed your marathon build up with great interest and I was delighted to see you get your time.
    My 10m was at the start of the year so I’m ok with that time from then but there is scope to improve.
    For the marathon I have no proper reason, I got to 21 miles on 3hr pace but faded badly. Looking back at training cycle maybe not enough long runs or hilly training but I can’t put my finger on it yet. I pulled up 10 days out during my last hard run with a pain in my hip/glute. I had a 2 mile walk home but I was ok by race day.
    My half was in charleville so maybe this is a skewed time as it is such a quick course

Thanks very much glad you found it useful. I would blog but I don’t know how and think people hear enough of my bs!! Regardless of that course your time suggests it’s in you no bother. Did you stay with the pacers? I thought they flew during the section 6-10 miles.

Thanks very much glad you found it useful. I would blog but I don’t know how and think people hear enough of my bs!! Regardless of that course your time suggests it’s in you no bother. Did you stay with the pacers? I thought they flew during the section 6-10 miles.

Don’t rule out the blog, a lot of people are interested in training schedules and would be hoping to pick up a nugget or two.
    I stayed with the pacers until mile 21 and then there was a sharp drop in pace. There were a few quick miles around 6 - 10 but I was happy with the pacers on the day. I think I need to work on stamina and get more used to running hard when it hurts, more races might help

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Kellygirl wrote: »
    1) Parkrun sub 25 mins
    2) HM sub 2 hours (pb 2:03:55)
    3) Full Marathon - 4:05. May not be realistic as pb is 4:20:05 and I’m not even sure if I’ll get to do a marathon in 2018 - I would be very happy with 4:10 or even 4:15 as long as I get to actually do one.

1) 5km pb of 24:45 achieved last night - can’t remember why I wrote Parkrun as opposed to 5km though I’ll try do it at Parkrun before the year is out too if I can get there.

2) HM sub 2 - achieved in Killarney on 28th July. 1:58:44

3) 4:05 Marathon - didn’t get as much as a pb in either of the two marathons I did (Cork and Dublin) but happy I got the first two goals at least. Two out of three ain’t bad ...

Anyway, hoping to annihilate those pbs next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

RayCun wrote: »
    sub 2:49 in Dublin

along the way...

Track 5k - plan is to stick with the 17:30 pacer until about 500m to go, should scrape under 17:24

Mullingar 10 mile - PB is 61:16, should be much closer to 60 but I doubt I'll get under the hour

Tullamore half - PB is 81:28, again should be closer to 80 but I expect to be on the wrong side of it

Blessington 10k - run all the way :pac:

jaysus :pac:

marathon - sub 2:50 was ruled out well before the marathon. Changed to a goal of 2:52, didn't get that either. Ten second PB!

5k - DNF on the track, haven't raced one since

10 mile - a minute slower than PB

Half - a minute slower than PB

10k - ran the whole thing! :D
    (slowly :o )

there's always next year...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

skyblue46 wrote: »
    1. Sub 20 5k even if I have to wait until Jingle Bells
    2. Hopefully get through S&C in one piece, stay injury free and notice the benefits
    3. 1.35 for a half
    4. 1:09:59 for 10 miles
    5. Keep enjoying running as much as I have been.

Happy Christmas to all, hope ye have a ball :)

1. Got it twice in May. 19:28 and 19:12. BHAA Bristol Myers Squibb and the Bob Heffernan. Haven't run one since. I'll have another lash at Jingle Bells.

2. Couldn't do it...boredom and DOMS melted my head.

3. Again 2 from 2. Delighted with 1:34:12 in Bohermeen. Disgusted with 1:33:20 in Ratoath half.

4. 68:02 in Kilcock 10 from 10.

Don’t rule out the blog, a lot of people are interested in training schedules and would be hoping to pick up a nugget or two.
    I stayed with the pacers until mile 21 and then there was a sharp drop in pace. There were a few quick miles around 6 - 10 but I was happy with the pacers on the day. I think I need to work on stamina and get more used to running hard when it hurts, more races might help

Haha I'll have to figure out how to do one. Sounds a bit too organised for me, I seem to prefer an odd contribution here and there. It's good to talk though!
    I was worried I didn't have enough races in me but I found I had loads for Dublin. What sort of miles were you doing each week?

I was worried I didn't have enough races in me but I found I had loads for Dublin. What sort of miles were you doing each week?

I averaged high 50s, maxed out at about 75miles. I started proper training in late August and had one or two low mileage (about 40) weeks due to work trips

• Registered Users Posts: 4,292 ✭✭✭ariana`

ariana` wrote: »

5k: Current 24:36, goal 23:59
    10k: Current 52:12, goal 50:xx
    10m: Current 1:30:50, goal 1:29:xx
    HM: Current 2:09:25, goal 1:59:59
    Marathon, Current 4:37:06, goal - no plans to run another in 2018 (famous last words :P)

And of course all the other less quantifiable but equally as important goals such as keeping the enjoyment factor.

Achieved all of them - some of them might have been a bit soft in hindsight but i genuinely didn't think so when i set them :cool:

5k (sub 24) - new pb 23:33 in May (another 23:3x in June and at least one sub 24 park run in the first half of the year)
    10k (sub 51) - ran 49:48 in June in my only 10k race this year
    10m (sub 90) - 86:xx in March and 87:xx in July
    HM (sub 2) - 1:56:xx in June & 1:52:31 in Sept
    Marathon: a pb (4:27:09) despite a fairly shocking performance but this wasn't really a goal :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭martyboy48

I averaged high 50s, maxed out at about 75miles. I started proper training in late August and had one or two low mileage (about 40) weeks due to work trips

Yourself and squinn2912 should start logging, would be good to see what ye are at in the lead up to the marathon....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

martyboy48 wrote: »
    Yourself and squinn2912 should start logging, would be good to see what ye are at in the lead up to the marathon....

Cough* where’s you log gone cough*......

Advertisement