Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Near misses - mod warning 22/04 - see OP/post 822

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭check_six

amcalester wrote: »
    Some day your law abiding behaviour might be awarded a €20K payout ;)

Yeah, but where would I find a pannier that could fit a neck brace and a single crutch? :confused:

I've been having some uncomfortable car trips through M50 interchange roads recently. Turns out the speed limit signs are universally ignored, so gradually gently slowing to whatever the limit is is more hair-raising than I would like. Who knew?! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Ray Bloody Purchase

check_six wrote: »
    Yeah, but where would I find a pannier that could fit a neck brace and a single crutch? :confused:

I've been having some uncomfortable car trips through M50 interchange roads recently. Turns out the speed limit signs are universally ignored, so gradually gently slowing to whatever the limit is is more hair-raising than I would like. Who knew?! :eek:

The M50 is generally a sh1t show. I frequently see some exceptionally bad and downright dangerous driving on it. I think some people think they're on the fcuking autobahn when they get onto it. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

The M50 is generally a sh1t show. I frequently see some exceptionally bad and downright dangerous driving on it. I think some people think they're on the fcuking autobahn when they get onto it. :cool:
    To be fair we are not allowed on a motorway to learn, we do a test that has nothing to do with motorways and then we are allowed to drive on them. Completely illogical.

Yes, every driver should know the rules of the road but I think education is sorely lacking.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

most of the bad driving i see on the M50 i'd put down to arrogance, not ignorance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I think there is more then enough of both to go around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

Very, very few people don't know how to drive on a motorway. Almost everyone knows you keep left unless overtaking, ditto with leaving gaps for merging traffic and not tailgating etc. People avoid doing those things because it's easier for them and they perceive an advantage in getting where they're going. It's pure arrogance and inability to see that they're the problem on the roads, in fairness mixed with the usually rightful assumption that if they drive to the rules someone else will take advantage and screw them over/cut them off/do something stupid to affect them. Driving on a motorway isn't rocket science.

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭Bull76

Don't do much cycling, about a 20km round trip. But had a truck and large trailer pull out on me even though he seen me. Had to break so as not to end up under the trailer. Then he pulled in 200m down the road. I know he seen me as he looked my way 3 times before pulling out. Usually cycle back roads and are narrow so lots of vehicles passing close.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,620 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    That’s pretty normal behavior now. Every junction in my way to work from Carpenterstown to the city centre, at least one car per junction will break a red light. Some more. Every single junction almost without fail. So Myos pub, coming down the hill, 2 or 3 not unusual - across a green man as well where there’s school kids crossing. Auburn Avenue in Castleknock, 2 or 3 on a red pretty normal. At the end of the park at park gate street, it’s almost comical the cars from chapelizod breaking reds - you can count to 5 plus and still have 2 or 3 coming at you well after a red. They even put in a new set of lights at the bus stataion, presumably to address this. But without enforcement and consequences it’s a waste of money.

It is chronic at this stage. When Im not cycling Im on a motorbike usually at the top of the lights. Coming out of the Phoenix Park at the Conyham gate always a good few cars break the red light. Before I even move off when my light goes green the first thing I do is crane my neck right to see how many red light breakers there are. Its just become instinct to check now because I know if I dont its likely I will get taken out of it.

Coming down the South Quays by Tara Station yesterday, going through the lights. Some guy came from the left on a bike (breaking the red light) and nearly ran into me, i swerved a little and was came close to being taken out by a taxi. He nearly knocked down a few pedestrians walking across the road too.

I gave him a little piece of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,658 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Howth Road - 8:35am this morning.

I'm cycling in the bus lane. Bus comes up in RHS lane and proceeds to push left quickly literally "kerbing" me (i.e. steers left when front door of bus is to my right)

The bus then pulls up to a bus stop. I overtake and pull up in front the driver to take note of the registration plate. The driver sticks up his middle finger at me. I point out the fact that I got his plate. He shouts "I don't care".

Surely he should care... I have his plate, his bus number, and I'm sure there is footage of him kerbing me, plus internal camera footage of him sticking up his finger?

"31B" - "07-D-30017"

• Advertisement

mrcheez wrote: »

I'm cycling in the bus lane. Bus comes up in RHS lane and proceeds to push left quickly literally "kerbing" me (i.e. steers left when front door of bus is to my right)

The bus then pulls up to a bus stop. I overtake and pull up in front the driver to take note of the registration plate. The driver sticks up his middle finger at me. I point out the fact that I got his plate. He shouts "I don't care".

Surely he should care... I have his plate, his bus number, and I'm sure there is footage of him kerbing me, plus internal camera footage of him sticking up his finger?

"31B" - "07-D-30017"

There's information in a thread somewhere here about requesting the footage under FOI. You could report him to the gardai with that perhaps? He might care then.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

"31B" - "07-D-30017"

Whats the worst that can happen to him?

There's information in a thread somewhere here about requesting the footage under FOI. You could report him to the gardai with that perhaps? He might care then.

yeah

I'll send it to Dublin Bus and ask them to send me on evidence that he was disciplined or I'll have to take it up with the Gardai

• Registered Users Posts: 8,065 ✭✭✭buffalo

The GDPR subject access request appears to be a great way to get footage. I've a test case in progress at the moment:

https://www.dublinbus.ie/Privacy/Making-a-Subject-Access-Request/

Tombo2001 wrote: »
    Whats the worst that can happen to him?

Take an idiot like this off the roads hopefully (or at least scare him into driving more carefully)

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭site_owner

they wont take him off the road, look at that bus driver who got a 4 year ban for killing a cyclist.
    he is still driving a bus today, and they are keeping his ban on hold until after christmas

best outcome is you post your footage on this thread or twitter, get a few likes, and we continue to highlight the crap that people driving pull every day, until eventually something gets done a policy level

• Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭VW 1

yeah

I'll send it to Dublin Bus and ask them to send me on evidence that he was disciplined or I'll have to take it up with the Gardai

From my own experience, and seeing the same for numerous others on the thread, you will get nothing other than a stock letter from Dublin Bus to say they will look into it.

Go down the reporting to Trafficwatch and accompany it by a FOI request for the camera footage.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tibor_imo

Saw what looked like a nasty incident cycling home yesterday from Sandyford back to town.

Just past The Goat there was a cyclist lying prone, being attended to with bike about 10 metres down the road. Guards were at the scene, saw an ambulance heading that direction a few minutes later. Hope all was ok.

Couple of minutes down the road heading towards Ranelagh and I got cut off by a jeep turning left onto Milltown Road when the lights were red for her (filter to turn for left).

Depressing how often this stuff happens, when all you're trying to do is get home safe.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

tibor_imo wrote: »
    Couple of minutes down the road heading towards Ranelagh and I got cut off by a jeep turning left onto Milltown Road when the lights were red for her (filter to turn for left).

Another thing that is becoming more usual in the mornings, several times over the last month, i see drivers move on after waiting on red when the pedestrian light goes green. It is like they are not fully focused on what is going on. One or two copped what they had done and at least slowed, the rest just boot on through.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭benjamin d

I regularly see filter lights ignored when they're red. The n11 outbound heading down Mt Merrion avenue is a classic one. Cars barely slow down when booting through the red there. I'm glad to see that policy has apparently shifted to removing left filters altogether when junctions are being redesigned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

It's like people don't know how traffic lights work.
    I'm often at a junction, waiting for a green filter to turn left, and you get beeped from behind for not turning on the red, across a green for a pedestrian crossing.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Saw a nice situation at Castleknock this morning. There’s a new Lidl store being built opposite myos pub. It’s traffic gridlock ground zero around there. Absolute chaos.

Anyway, lights go red and two motorists elect to ignore the lights in front of me. They get stuck behind the queue in front of them. The lights coming from the right go green, there’s usually a massive queue to Castleknock college. So we now have a Mexican stand off - four cars stuck on the yellow box, all beeping at each other. Eventually the traffic heading towards the city moves, so the four of them can move on. Across the green man junction, now being used by parents and kids to the local schools. Car one, followed by two then three and four. All across a green man crossing as if it’s perfectly normal. No one bats an eyelid.

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Saw a nice situation at Castleknock this morning. There’s a new Lidl store being built opposite myos pub. It’s traffic gridlock ground zero around there. Absolute chaos.

Anyway, lights go red and two motorists elect to ignore the lights in front of me. They get stuck behind the queue in front of them. The lights coming from the right go green, there’s usually a massive queue to Castleknock college. So we now have a Mexican stand off - four cars stuck on the yellow box, all beeping at each other. Eventually the traffic heading towards the city moves, so the four of them can move on. Across the green man junction, now being used by parents and kids to the local schools. Car one, followed by two then three and four. All across a green man crossing as if it’s perfectly normal. No one bats an eyelid.

Seems to be a view that - well if I'm in the yellow box; well I have to get out of the yellow box or else I'll block the traffic, so I'll just nip through these pedestrian lights, because the pedestrians can get out of the way, but heaven forbid that the motorists are blocked.....

Because as we all know......motorists own the road.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,859 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's proper bananas lunacy that lidl got the go-ahead to be built in what was already an excessively congested village.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,460 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

it's proper bananas lunacy that lidl got the go-ahead to be built in what was already an excessively congested village.

Another questionable one is Terenure Aldi. It's right across the road from the nation's school, and a pedestrian crossing. The very wide access to the car park doesn't have zebra crossing or any signs for drivers to be mindful of pedestrians. The mind boggles that this was not considered as mandatory for the grant of planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Danjamin1

Danjamin1 wrote: »

As far as I'm concerned, the fact that the Broadcasting Authority of Ireland said it could find no issue and nothing wrong with the infamous LLS piece on cyclists - the BAI are basically saying cyclists are fair game for any media organisation to go after; they can say what they want and there wont be any repercussions.

i know i shouldn't, but i responded to one of boylan's sub-tweets.

Don't feed the troll:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭What Username Guidelines

https://twitter.com/Niall_Boylan/status/1063133482057170947

Can we actually do this for one day and see what the traffic is like when the 95,000 cyclists in dublin take to other forms of transport, mostly cars?

I'm sick of being close passed or beeped for "slowing someone down" when in reality I'm one less car on the road causing traffic. Had a taxi driver lay on the horn for a good 5 seconds behind me yesterday and subsequently get stuck in traffic. Window down "you should be on the cycle track" etc. When I said "Oh sorry, did I delay you somehow" he said he was 'forced' to dangerously overtake. When I then asked why he wasnt leaning on the horn to get all the other traffic to move out of his way, he hit me with a clever comeback of "You're all f**king c**ts". Bravo, Taxi man. Bravo.

Same :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement