Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

Wow - thats remarkable eeloe.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,719 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

it's gone a slight bit redder over the weekend, i must admit....looks a little like sunburn now.

But i'm gonna try and stop looking at it daily...gonna take weekly shots to see if it's improving! :) which is should, hopefully anyway.

Going on Holiday this weekend, anyone have any idea if i should stay out of the sun while on stelara or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭brevity

eeloe wrote: »
    it's gone a slight bit redder over the weekend, i must admit....looks a little like sunburn now.

But i'm gonna try and stop looking at it daily...gonna take weekly shots to see if it's improving! :) which is should, hopefully anyway.

Going on Holiday this weekend, anyone have any idea if i should stay out of the sun while on stelara or not?

Use factor 50 and you should be fine.

I'll come back whiter than i went over :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

eeloe wrote: »

You need to protect yourself but I never do any more than normal. Maybe Stelara is different. I use factor 20/30 on my body and 50 on my face

• Advertisement

factor 50 it'll be i'd say, the wife won't let me outside of the hotel unless i look like Casper the friendly ghost!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Hello, I've had psoriasis for c.20 years. I was originally called guttate psoriasis and apart from a few flare up years ago it's been ever present on my elbows etc. but not that much more.
    However, recently, I've gotten a good few more spots all over and in particular I'm finding my face is red alot more. This is a the worst bit really as it's the most visible. I did do the light treatment c.5 years ago and helped for a few months but just came back as normal then.
    I'm asking really for my face - what would people recommend trying? 
    I'm generally had lots of creams but can be hard to keep doing that when you've just got lots of spots. I'm trying to stay away from steriod creams as I always feel it gets worse when I try to reduce off them.

your only options really, without seeing a dermatologist, is topical steroids in varying strengths.

Any other moisturizer is just going to reduce the flaking skin, but it wont get rid of the redness.

Dietary changes can help, stopping smoking, drinking alcohol, and trying an elimination diet(this will let you know which foods are actually flaring the psoriasis for you)

Starting Humira today - fingers crossed!!

The very best of luck!!!!

Keep us updated!

• Advertisement

Will do eeloe

NEDDURC - see a consultant. There are lots of options. The light treatment only worked for a few months for me also.
    It's tough to deal with when its on your face. Since mine has come back - it's visible on my hairline and also my eyelid.
    I have guttate psoriasis with hundreds of little dots allover my body and trying to put cream on them all is a nightmare.

A consultant can at least talk about alternative treatment options and then you can decide what is best for you. It's amazing how long we put up with something. I had psoriatic arthritis for years and got repeat prescriptions for anti-inflammatory medication and steroidal creams. It was only when a locum GP asked why I wanted repeat anti-inflammatories that she sent me straight to a consultant asking "are you waiting for it to get bad before you get treatment?" I suppose I was!

Anyway - enough of my ramblings.

Second set of monthly bloods came back all clear, WBC count is what it’s always been over the years, zero signs of dehydration or anything else.

Thankfully no side effects from the second injection. Skin still clearing too, next shot on Jan 9th!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Need a bit of advice in regards to your experience with methotrexate. I’ve never suffered with anxiety, and I probably was a bit depressed on and off but nothing severe and certainly never bad enough to need medication. It would have been a reaction to a difficult time in my life and to be honest “stress” may be more accurate than depression.

I’ve had a few tough months lately than has required valium and while I am stressed and at times been anxious, I don’t feel anxious now. I feel relaxed and at peace because for the first time in a long time I feel like I should, no brain fog, just feeling well.

Since I started on methotrexate I’ve had a continuous cold. I’m on my 2nd week of 4th month. 25mg once a week.

Skin is perfect, joints are improved. No illness except for this cold.
    Last week I started feeling very out of breath. Wheezing at the top of the stairs, can hear myself breathing in videos, talking makes me feel winded. Woke up feeling like I can’t catch my breath. Breathing through my mouth to try get enough air down into my lungs.

Have gotten a few nose bleeds the past week. But haven’t been unwell and figured it’s from the cold. Slight pain in my face with my sinus too for a few days but that passed. Took a course of actifed, made no real difference.

My blood pressure is normally on the low side. Usually between 80 and 90 over 75 ish. That’s just normal for me.

Today my breathing has been woeful, to the point where I feel like I actually can’t get enough air into me. I can hear myself breathing.

Tonight it freaked me out because so much as breathing slower made my head feel dizzy, so I paid €60 to see the dr on call.

He took my bp
    148/98
    He checked my oxygen which was 97
    He listened to my chest and said there was no wheeze

He said my bp and oxygen was perfect so I was getting enough air and it was most likely anxiety and to go on lexipro, speak to my dr about it.
    He sent me home with a xanax. Said I’d sleep ok with it.

I’ve no problem seeing my gp and taking the lexipro if I needed it, but I genuinely can’t breathe and I am skeptical of a xanax remeding that. It’s only come on me. And it’s clearly audible in videos. It’s quite embarrassing. I sound like a paedo at a playground.

I suppose I’m wondering if this is to be expected with methotrexate? Can it leave you feeling like you can’t breathe .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I suppose I’m wondering if this is to be expected with methotrexate? Can it leave you feeling like you can’t breathe .

I would definitely get on to the rheumatology nurse with that Grace Thoughtless Mortal.
    I know that it can get to your lungs alright, it can do kind of like pleurisy (inflammation of outside of lungs) I think ?

I had a dry cough at the start as part of side effects, the link between it and Mtx was really obvious : shortly after the weekly dose, the cough would come on "suddenly", and stay a day or two. It'd be like being asthmatic but not quite, a dry cough you simply couldn't ignore, not really barking, just constant, shallow, unrelentless.

Rheumy took it very seriously and that was part of the reason for changing the folic acid regime at the time. He didn't panic like, didn't cancel the whole Mtx or anything, just took it seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I would definitely get on to the rheumatology nurse with that Shoesdayschild.
    I know that it can get to your lungs alright, it can do kind of like pleurisy (inflammation of outside of lungs) I think ?

I had a dry cough at the start as part of side effects, the link between it and Mtx was really obvious : shortly after the weekly dose, the cough would come on "suddenly", and stay a day or two. It'd be like being asthmatic but not quite, a dry cough you simply couldn't ignore, not really barking, just constant, shallow, unrelentless.

Rheumy took it very seriously and that was part of the reason for changing the folic acid regime at the time. He didn't panic like, didn't cancel the whole Mtx or anything, just took it seriously.

I was recently told by an ENT consultant that sinusitis is common in people who take Mtx, which can cause you to get reall blocked up. its unfortunatate part of life on MtX that you are more likely to get other ailments.

However, they are all treatable , usually not serious and and not a reason to stop taking your medication.

The advice above is good.
    The on call doctor doesnt know your full medical history and their job is to treat anything really urgent.

Go to your GP or your consultant and discuss your symptoms and see if they can recommend treatment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

( I'm on Humira & MTX - initially 25mg/week oral but reduced to 15mg/week oral due to inside kicking up - for RA.)
    ....Since I started on methotrexate I’ve had a continuous cold.
    I found that too
    ....Woke up feeling like I can’t catch my breath. Breathing through my mouth to try get enough air down into my lungs..
    About 2 months ago I started doing this. Gasping for breath esp. in the first 3 - 4 hrs of waking.
    At clinic 5 weeks ago I mentioned this. Told to leave off the MTX totally ( i.e Humira alone ). After 2 weeks gasping started to clear. Fully cleared after 3 weeks and constant cold gone :) .

Do you think your GP is up to dealing with this ? - Where I go the GPs seem feel its way above their paygrade to get involved & much prefer that clinic deal with (via the rheum nurse contact).

WRT MTX : the usefulness of oral doses of over 15mg/week has been questioned https://ard.bmj.com/content/73/8/1549

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Turns out it was sinus infection not anxiety wtf
    Oh here’s a xanax, no it won’t help you breathe but you won’t care that you’re suffocating

Turns out it was sinus infection not anxiety wtf
    Oh here’s a xanax, no it won’t help you breathe but you won’t care that you’re suffocating

Doctors in Ireland don't really listen to their patients I find. I used to think the God complex was an exaggeration, but I've changed my mind.

dxdhofelray11.jpg
    xd9viweoray11.jpg

So tomorrow is two months since i started Stelara, these results are 100% Stelara, i completely stopped using topical steroids the day before i got my first injection.

All i'm left with is some scarring on my lower legs, everything else is pretty much 100% clear, scalp, eyebrows, face, chest back and other areas are all clear.

I thought i was having a mini break out on my face last week, but it turns out it was just the change in the weather really drying out my face.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Great improvement, I'd say you feel like a new person. Long may it last.

• Advertisement

rizzee wrote: »
    Great improvement, I'd say you feel like a new person. Long may it last.

Have a cold that i can't shake at the moment, but apart from that, yes i'm delighted! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Was it caused by your tatoos or just happens to be there? Unbelievable improvement though!

Just happens to be there.

I had it in places I never ever had a tattoo also...just not quite as bad!

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mighty magpie

Hi folks.

My psoriasis has been pretty bad around my ears and eyes recently. No amount of moisturising was helping. Switched from e45 to aveeno helped a bit.

Booked myself in with GP, didn't know what to prescribe straight away and wanted to look through my history before doing so. I told him protopic worked well before.

He called the next day and said he couldn't prescribe protopic on his license as only a dermatologist could. He has prescribed hydrocortisone 1% for my eyes but only for 5 days. Betnovate 0.025% for my ears and other areas around my face where stubble is. Again 5 days but can apply twice a day.

I'm worried I've done damage to my eyes using stronger stuff on them during teenage years so I'm just on here to ask for some advice on the 2 creams mentioned above. I'm 3 days in and I can see some improve but are these creams ok over 5 days? What about long term use?

Thanks
    MM

• Registered Users Posts: 12,095 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Hi folks.

My psoriasis has been pretty bad around my ears and eyes recently. No amount of moisturising was helping. Switched from e45 to aveeno helped a bit.

Booked myself in with GP, didn't know what to prescribe straight away and wanted to look through my history before doing so. I told him protopic worked well before.

He called the next day and said he couldn't prescribe protopic on his license as only a dermatologist could. He has prescribed hydrocortisone 1% for my eyes but only for 5 days. Betnovate 0.025% for my ears and other areas around my face where stubble is. Again 5 days but can apply twice a day.

I'm worried I've done damage to my eyes using stronger stuff on them during teenage years so I'm just on here to ask for some advice on the 2 creams mentioned above. I'm 3 days in and I can see some improve but are these creams ok over 5 days? What about long term use?

Thanks
    MM
    I think what your GP has said is fine. Betnovate is very strong but 5 days is only short so I don’t see it doing much harm
    After that I would apply once or twice a week as needed for maintenance. I personally swear by Protopic, it’s one of those things I always have to hand. I might use so little that the tube will go out of date. I can’t say I’ve heard that it needs to be prescribed by a consultant but I’m on it a few years now so it
    might be the case.

I think Betnovate must be pretty safe to use on an occasional basis. I know I was prescribed it as a child to apply on the eyelids as I was allergic to certain types of water.
    It was something to use sporadically, in response to the allergy, not a regular use type of cream, but I'm sure they wouldn't have prescribed it for a child if there was a serious chance of irreparable damage to the eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,790 ✭✭✭rizzee

Had a heavy session in Manchester the weekend. Woke up this morning very dry on scalp, eyebrows, ears. Did the weekly Nizoral in the shower followed by Daktacort or the eyebrows and ears. Dryness gone instantly with only some light red marks left over. Now to get hydrated and stay good til Christmas...

Hopefully it's only a slight flare up you got Rizzee.

Stay hydrated buddy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,443 ✭✭✭wonga77

Does anyone here suffer from Rosacea? Are the two connected in any way i wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,332 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

wonga77 wrote: »
    Does anyone here suffer from Rosacea? Are the two connected in any way i wonder?

I get small patches of psoriasis on my scalp and I started getting mild rosacea a couple of years ago.

Advertisement