Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psoriasis

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I'm pretty happy about it now to be honest, still feel a little bit dodgy from side effects(just a little bit run down/fluey, last week was much much worse) but if the skin keeps clearing....i might be able to go back to training jiu jitsu next week, which i'm SUUUUPER excited about! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭Misguided1

eeloe wrote: »
    I'm pretty happy about it now to be honest, still feel a little bit dodgy from side effects(just a little bit run down/fluey, last week was much much worse) but if the skin keeps clearing....i might be able to go back to training jiu jitsu next week, which i'm SUUUUPER excited about! :)

That's great news eeloe. Delighted for you. Makes me finally realise that Stelara is not working for me. I'm about 5 weeks shy of my third injection and have had some improvement but my arthritis is really bad and I have psoriasis outbreaks on about 35% of my body. Back to my Consultant in a couple of weeks so hopefully he will work some magic.

It does sound like it’s not working for you at all. :(

Is this your first biologic?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

I don't understand.
    I'm on my 3rd heavier dose of Mtx (gone up to 20 mg), and for the second time I'm having a flare the day right after the dose.

Last week it was fingers in one hand.
    This time it's some joint on the top/side of the foot, the one halfway between ankle and toes, completely out of the blue.

Maybe it's just coincidence I don't know...

Sounds strange that it’s only happening after you take the meds alright.

Would deffo mention it to your doctor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,091 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Just been prescribed Humira. Works the same way as Enbrel so hopefully shouldn’t have any issues

It does sound like it’s not working for you at all. :(

Is this your first biologic?

No - I was on Enbrel but my psoriasis started to come back so we switched to Stelara. I might see if I can try Humira as I've heard good things about it also

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

Misguided1 wrote: »
    That's great news eeloe. Delighted for you. Makes me finally realise that Stelara is not working for me. I'm about 5 weeks shy of my third injection and have had some improvement but my arthritis is really bad and I have psoriasis outbreaks on about 35% of my body. Back to my Consultant in a couple of weeks so hopefully he will work some magic.

They might need to adjust your dose.

The nurse said to me that if the psoriasis comes back after the second injection it could be a dosing issue. Your consultant will obviously know more.

Gael23 wrote: »
    Just been prescribed Humira. Works the same way as Enbrel so hopefully shouldn’t have any issues

When do you get your first one? Fingers crossed buddy!

No - I was on Enbrel but my psoriasis started to come back so we switched to Stelara. I might see if I can try Humira as I've heard good things about it also

As brevity said, the dose can be adjusted.

I was told I can be moved back to 8 weeks instead of 12 if the psoriasis doesn’t clear, and there’s also a 90mg dose available!

• Advertisement

brevity wrote: »
    They might need to adjust your dose.

The nurse said to me that if the psoriasis comes back after the second injection it could be a dosing issue. Your consultant will obviously know more.
    As brevity said, the dose can be adjusted.

I was told I can be moved back to 8 weeks instead of 12 if the psoriasis doesn’t clear, and there’s also a 90mg dose available!

Didn't realise that folks - thanks a million. I'm feeling much more optimistic now. Cheers!!

When do you get your first one? Fingers crossed buddy!

I have to wait for the home nurse to come out. Not too long hopefully

Didn't realise that folks - thanks a million. I'm feeling much more optimistic now. Cheers!!

I’m surprised they have left it this long without adjusting it for you to be honest, especially considering it’s not clearing.

Hopefully you get sorted soon!!! When it starts clearing, it’s amazing!

I have to wait for the home nurse to come out. Not too long hopefully

Hopefully you’re not waiting too long buddy, and some relief comes your way!

Is anyone else on Humira?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭brevity

I was. Nothing major to report. The pens give a bit of a whack when you are injecting yourself. Take them out of the fridge for a few minutes beforehand.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Shoneen

I've been on Humira for just over a year after previously being on Methotrexate. The methotrexate was only moderately successful but I felt ill all the time on it and had completely lost my appetite. The Humira on the other hand has been excellent for me with my psoriasis completely clearing up within about 4 months of starting on it. Since then I've been consistently clear but did start seeing some very minor patches appearing on my arms last month. Hopefully that's not a sign of gradual escalation but as things stand I'm still effectively clear.

Side effects wise - nothing I can directly attribute to the Humira. I picked up a bad chest infection last Winter which took me nearly 2 months to get rid of completely - that was unusual for me but I can't say for a fact that the Humira was a contributory factor. The Dermatologist did say I should make sure to get the flu and pnuemonia vaccines this year though. Overall very happy with it so far.

Shoneen wrote: »
    I've been on Humira for just over a year after previously being on Methotrexate .

Did you get referred to the Nurse service by your consultant or do you need to do anything yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Shoneen

Did you get referred to the Nurse service by your consultant or do you need to do anything yourself?

My recollection is that it was referred by the Consultant with the Nurse service then contacting me to arrange a home visit at a time that suited me. I don't think I had to do anything other than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

I still have my cold, very out of breath and snuffly. Cannot shake it off. Have started a new treatment plan with my hairdresser to try improve the state of my hair.

• Advertisement

How long has the cold been going for?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭MagicThree18

I've got psoriasis for the best part of 10 years now. Side and rear scalp, around my ears and in my ear canals, in my belly-button and on the outer edge of each shin. I've been diagnosed by a consultant in St James' Hospital and my doctor has prescribed the likes of Dovabet at different times. However I mostly just apply moisturiser and try to keep myself free of unsightly flakes.

However I'd like to 'step up' my approach, just to see how much I can push it back. My initial problem is I don't even know if mine is bad. I hear people talking about flare-ups. I don't know if mine is currently, constantly flared-up, or if it's constantly mild and as good as it's gonna get.

I've tried Google for some images but invariably I get what I would consider very extreme cases. Can someone point me toward some sort of info that I can get solid advice and visual guidance from?

Many thanks.

Hi MagicThree18, how inflamed it is is a little bit subjective I suppose.

I would consider this picture "not inflamed" : it's paler, pretty flat, flaking off but not a thick plaque.

http://www.parsnaz.com/images/2016/07/457410710.jpg

When it starts splitting a little bit, with bloody little cuts, it feels uncomfortable and tingly all the time, possibly sore with the redness/open sores, redder than the first pic, that's when it's a bit inflamed, kind of on the way.http://www.ailesburyclinic.ie/files/UserFiles/psoriasis_elbow_800x600.jpghttps://cached.imagescaler.hbpl.co.uk/resize/scaleWidth/620/cached.offlinehbpl.hbpl.co.uk/news/PGH/arm-20171025112624155.jpg

When it's really red, possibly really thick, spreading, with open sores where the skin splits, and it generally feels hot and sore in a way that you can't ignore, then you're full on inflamed. It would probably be more raised and the area is likely to be swollen from the trauma to the skin. You'd definitely know you're inflamed, and feel like it. (these are the worst pictures you see with a google search)

How long has the cold been going for?
    July, isn’t bad at all just snuffly and sound like a pervert with my deep breathing

July, isn’t bad at all just snuffly and sound like a pervert with my deep breathing

Wow, and here I was feeling sorry for myself that the vomiting bug lasted 3/4 days instead of 24/48 hrs. :)

You'd wonder is it a cold or a chronic/allergic type of reaction to something wouldn't you ?

I’m not really sick with it like it’s not affecting my day to day. It’s that horrible loose mucus on my chest and constant runny nose, sore throat more irritated than sore to be honest. Dizzy head. Just feels like the start or a tale end of a cold

What meds are you on? Bios? MTX?

Has your GP said anything about the cold lasting this long?

What meds are in you? Bios? MTX?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 84 ✭✭MagicThree18

Hi MagicThree18, how inflamed it is is a little bit subjective I suppose.

I would consider this picture "not inflamed" : it's paler, pretty flat, flaking off but not a thick plaque.

http://www.parsnaz.com/images/2016/07/457410710.jpg

When it starts splitting a little bit, with bloody little cuts, it feels uncomfortable and tingly all the time, possibly sore with the redness/open sores, redder than the first pic, that's when it's a bit inflamed, kind of on the way.http://www.ailesburyclinic.ie/files/UserFiles/psoriasis_elbow_800x600.jpghttps://cached.imagescaler.hbpl.co.uk/resize/scaleWidth/620/cached.offlinehbpl.hbpl.co.uk/news/PGH/arm-20171025112624155.jpg

When it's really red, possibly really thick, spreading, with open sores where the skin splits, and it generally feels hot and sore in a way that you can't ignore, then you're full on inflamed. It would probably be more raised and the area is likely to be swollen from the trauma to the skin. You'd definitely know you're inflamed, and feel like it. (these are the worst pictures you see with a google search)

Thanks for that!

The mild picture you posted is reminiscent of my worst patch, on my right leg, otherwise mine must be very mild indeed.

I got my hair cut very short today. Number 1 around the back and sides. There's a very noticeable red 'band' around my head, it almost looks raised higher than the remainder of the scalp. In that regard it looks inflammed, but based on those pictures it's a long way from being a flare up.

Again, another subjective question, but is it unusual for it to disappear? The patch on my left shin just cleared up, but at the exact same time that patch on the right got worse, almost in perfect unison. The whole thing was very strange as they were already almost perfectly symmetrical in their location, almost like they were reacting to each other.

• Advertisement

What meds are in you? Bios? MTX?

Haven’t been to gp, forgot to get bloods done last month too
    Have app with consultant on 16th and will mention it then
    On 25mg of mexothrexate

Advertisement