Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Christy42

devnull wrote: »
    Trump's conduct around this whole remembrance weekend has been deplorable, making excuses about weather, turning up late for events, this morning turning up late shortly followed by Putin (I wonder why)

He shows no respect whatsoever towards the people who fought in the war.
    I am shocked that a man who insulted veterans who were captured fighting for their country showed disrespect to the military.

This is not a shock. Par for the course. The pro military right wing will happily over look this as he is not a Democrat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

A few months back it was Porto Rico, now it's California: no one can claim surprise at Trumps outbursts towards the victims of natural disaster, when the pattern repeats so specifically. It's a remarkable testament to the man's nature that what ostensibly should be slam dunk, easy wins for any President - leadership in a time of environmental disaster - turns into a PR self-inflicted wound of embittered victim-blaming. It's a situation where a little common decency and humanity goes a long way to comforting those suffering - and yet Trump cannot even manage this small token gesture. I suppose California hasn't yet graduated to the bizarre images of Trump tossing paper towels to ruined locals, while claiming a Democrat conspiracy and that the deaths in Porto Rico were fiction.

Support or hate Republican politics, but to claim President Trump has a grasp of basic human empathy is to wilfully ignore the avalanche of contrary evidence. And that it is an avalanche means his critics are just exhausted. How can you not come across as obsessed when Trump continues to score open goals? Even in a single week his crude behaviour against California wasn't the only example of this critical lack of humanity. To repeat, being present at the 100 year anniversary of WW1 should be an easy win for the PR department - look how calm, composed and decent the President was around his EU allies - and a basic tick box in any US Presidents itinerary of events.

Nope.

Petulant, immature, sulking behaviour not becoming of anyone in political office; throw in an amateur-hour confusion over comments from Macron and you get a man ostensibly the leader of the Free World acting like a spoilt child scorned.

And yet there are those around here that would accuse the likes of myself of obsession and hyperbole. Were Trumps failings easily reduced to a small bullet point list of foibles - like, oh I dunno, wearing a tan suit or preferring poupon mustard - then maybe we could be legitimately accused of mania. But this is every week. The man's moral failings are almost endless. I've seen sulking teenagers compose themselves with more dignity.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

This says it all really when Putin walks past:
    https://twitter.com/ASLuhn/status/1061599117196124160

Honestly It wouldn't surprise me if there was a reason both of Trump and Putin turned up late.

He has no compassion whatsoever and is a disgrace and however bad the UK society is now, which is probably at it's lowest point for a long time, it's even worse in the States where such person is in charge.

I've saw a little bit of the Fox News coverage now and it really is shocking how they twist things to suit their agenda and how they write some of their articles up.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,045 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Danzy wrote: »
    Things may never have been so bad, tis fierce bad. Woe unto all of us.

Care to post something substantive on his outrageous comment on the fires, the disrespect shown to veterans, or would you just rather take lame pot shots?

Thought not

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

everlast75 wrote: »
    Care to post something substantive on his outrageous comment on the fires, the disrespect shown to veterans, or would you just rather take lame pot shots?

Thought not

Whatever Trump does doesn't matter to them, as long as they have a job and they get to stick it to the "libtards".
    Will they still cling onto him like a piece of driftwood after a shipwreck when the next recession hits and there are no federal reserves to stimulate the economy, because it's all been pissed away on tax breaks for the super-rich?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

devnull wrote: »
    This says it all really when Putin walks past:

Nah, this says it all:

giphy.gif

pixelburp wrote: »
    no one can claim surprise at Trumps outbursts towards the victims of natural disaster

Yes, this outburst towards them in particular was really awful.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1061382890100002817

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Nah, this says it all:

giphy.gif

Conveniently ignore what is viewed as a pretty suspect relationship with the Russians including publicly asking them to commit a hacking against the candidate their running against. Not exactly comparable to Obama....

Congrats on finding the tweet that occurred directly before his uninformed remarks on the Californian fires..... The remarks that were entirely unhelpful and were just him fulfilling his standard role of controversial idiotic remarks.....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Oh, so he didn't say

"Billions of dollars are given each year, with so many lives lost, all because of gross mismanagement of the forests,” Trump tweeted. “Remedy now, or no more Fed payments!”

You're doing exactly what was predicted.
    Trump will say black and white in the same sentence. Trumpsters will then simply pick whichever one suits them, so it's great arguing for him, since he says contradictory things in the same sentence

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Nah, this says it all:

giphy.gif

You dion't seem to have a point, rather than 'you're being unfair to the donald'

So assume you're correct then and he's all heart.

Can you explain the motive/rationale and benefit from sending the second tweet?

thanks

*Drops in*

*Leaves critical and non-sensical post*

*Does a runner before anyone can engage*

Its the M.O. of either his supporters here.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I mean I think you've missed the point, but you're obviously trying for some 'drop the mic' post to prove ... what? That the myriad of shouting, exclamation-point tweets are negated by an obviously prepared Tweet? That his stubborn campaign against Porto Rico - to the point where he declared the deaths therein were a Democrat hoax - didn't happen? Or that his outburst over mis-interpreting Macron's comments didn't happen either? Give me a break, it doesn't even read like half the other material on his feed.

His tweets, his interviews, his behaviour with Macron during that meeting in Paris, countless testimonials and reports from anonymous aides within the White House, all point towards an insecure man who has fits of rages and sulks, and someone who will literally contradict himself in the space of a 24 hour period. Like I said, if you want to support his policies, fine, I have no skin in the game but don't seriously suggest his behaviour is either becoming of a President, or particularly outstanding as an empathic individual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 658 ✭✭✭jjpep

pixelburp wrote: »
    I mean I think you've missed the point, but you're obviously trying for some 'drop the mic' post to prove ... what? That the myriad of shouting, exclamation-point tweets are negated by an obviously prepared Tweet? That his stubborn campaign against Porto Rico - to the point where he declared the deaths therein were a Democrat hoax - didn't happen? Or that his outburst over mis-interpreting Macron's comments didn't happen either? Give me a break, it doesn't even read like half the other material on his feed.

His tweets, his interviews, his behaviour with Macron during that meeting in Paris, countless testimonials and reports from anonymous aides within the White House, all point towards an insecure man who has fits of rages and sulks, and someone who will literally contradict himself in the space of a 24 hour period. Like I said, if you want to support his policies, fine, I have no skin in the game but don't seriously suggest his behaviour is either becoming of a President, or particularly outstanding as an empathic individual.

I agree with your stance but I disagree with one statement - that you don't have skin in the game. Unfortunately we all have skin in this particular game. This individual has access to the largest nuclear arsenal on the planet. He's reversing any progress made in fighting man made climate change. Two things which the potential to affect everyone on the planet. The rest of the world needs to start putting pressure on the USA to sort out their shambles of a political system that has lead to this individual holding this much power.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,161 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

*Drops in*

*Leaves critical and non-sensical post*

*Does a runner before anyone can engage*

Its the M.O. of either his supporters here.
    If a tree falls in the forest and nobody hears it. Has it fallen? Paraphrasing a bit, but you know what I mean.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,020 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

jjpep wrote: »
    This individual has access to the largest nuclear arsenal on the planet.

Which he's planning on expanding and scrapped the most effective treaty the US had with the country with the second largest arsenal.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,269 ✭✭✭✭Penn

The line from the White House now is that Trump didn't attend the WWI event on Saturday not because of rain, but so as not to disrupt traffic in Paris.

Well good thing the whole event wasn't planned with all of that in mind and that Trump hadn't flown out to France prior to the event with the intention of attending and then changing his mind, presumably after hearing the French equivalent of AA Roadwatch Traffic Update (in French) before deciding it'd be best to stay in.

Penn wrote: »
    The line from the White House now is that Trump didn't attend the WWI event on Saturday not because of rain, but so as not to disrupt traffic in Paris.

Well good thing the whole event wasn't planned with all of that in mind and that Trump hadn't flown out to France prior to the event with the intention of attending and then changing his mind, presumably after hearing the French equivalent of AA Roadwatch Traffic Update (in French) before deciding it'd be best to stay in.
    They also said that he had lunch with Macron, and iirc Macron was there. How did that happen?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

It's as if the secret service don't have 10 different pre planned routes to get him out of anywhere to anywhere else with a seconds notice and regardless of what weather may be about to stop the various modes of air transport from taking off. I think they just used Google Maps like the rest of us and it probably said that the roads to the event were closed due to an ongoing incident so they figured they wouldn't get there, not realising that he was the ongoing incident.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

He could have gone by river, would have made a great headline, "Donald Trump In Seine."

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭breatheme

Apparently, he also can't seem to remember that the Balkans and the Baltic states are not the same thing.
    But Le Monde perhaps risked provoking a presidential tweet on the latter subject when it reported that at the private meeting, “Trump opened by attributing to [the Baltic leaders] the responsibility for the war in Yugoslavia”.

Dalia Grybauskaitė of Lithuania, Kersti Kaljulaid of Estonia and Raimonds Vējonis of Latvia, the paper said, took “a moment to realise that ‘Baltics’ and ‘Balkan’ were getting mixed up in the mind of the American president”.

KAC now saying that the Acosta video was not altered... it was sped up!

Alternative facts indeed

• Advertisement

The speed with which the migrants were dropped from the conversation really shows the naked political games that was at play in the run up to the midterms (and I'd include the Democrats in that, though let's be honest, rightly or wrongly they're basking in their Wave). Hard to fathom that the hysteria was so loud there were insinuations of terrorists - ISIS even - hiding among the MS13 members. Yet now the issue is apparently forgotten.

Well, according to the New York Times, the 5,600 troops already sent to the border are under-equipped, living out of tents with little electricity, will very likely miss Thanksgiving - and won't even receive combat pay for their presence there. They can't even enforce Immigration Law either, as that's the specific legal purview of ICE - so presumably were they to catch someone crossing the border they can't do anything. ..

Porkbarrel, bread and circus style gestures are hardly a new concept in Political Theatre, but this particular one feels particularly under-baked and ill thought out; a grand gesture - troops sent to the border, watch out migrants! - but with almost no followthrough.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

How did Kelly et al get to the ceremony on Sat, taxi? Bet you they got traffic clearance.

KAC now saying that the Acosta video was not altered... it was sped up!

Alternative facts indeed
    A number of experts have said that frames were inserted and then it was speeded up after the insertion point to line up with the original, but the slow-down/speed up was done to make Acosta's hand gesture look more violent. So technically she's correct. But as always, the truth is being obfuscated.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

Is Matt Whitaker the first Trump appointee to be thrown under the bus before he's even started his job? Errr...Matt who?

Or is Whitaker being sent on a deliberate kamikaze mission - screw with the Mueller investigation and resign when everyone goes nuts, his work already done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Trailerr

prawnsambo wrote: »
    A number of experts have said that frames were inserted and then it was speeded up after the insertion point to line up with the original, but the slow-down/speed up was done to make Acosta's hand gesture look more violent. So technically she's correct. But as always, the truth is being obfuscated.

Acosta is a nusiance and any reason to get him out was worth it imo.
    Trump isn't anti-press, he took 68 questions at that particular session, when Acosta put his hands on the intern, a disgrace, surely CNN have someone better

I'm not 100% that it was arseholery on his part.

Can't help but think it was vanity. The wind and rain made him stay in. He mentioned recently that he went outside despite the weather to talk to the press.

Imagine being a world leader and having to stay indoors because of rain. Tough man!

Trailerr wrote: »
    Acosta is a nusiance and any reason to get him out was worth it imo.
    Trump isn't anti-press, he took 68 questions at that particular session, when Acosta put his hands on the intern, a disgrace, surely CNN have someone better

If he was that bad, surely the WH could have just shown the footage, rather than interfere with it.

And Trump you say isn't anti-press? Have you been living under a rock???

I'm not 100% that it was arseholery on his part.

Can't help but think it was vanity. The wind and rain made him stay in. He mentioned recently that he went outside despite the weather to talk to the press.

Imagine being a world leader and having to stay indoors because of rain. Tough man!

It was for security reasons

If he was that bad, surely the WH could have just shown the footage, rather than interfere with it.

And Trump you say isn't anti-press? Have you been living under a rock???
    What difference does it make, he treated the intern appalingly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭UsedToWait

Ther was a planned asaainsation against trump or macron,
    Putin told Trump, that's why he didn't show up
    It was for security reasons

Your assassination theory is intriguing - are you
    sure you weren't watching The Day of The Jackal instead of the news?

If not, care to elaborate on your sources?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement