Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people feel about being called love?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

Meh I’ve been called worse. It amuses me though when in shops and the cashier will say “good girl” when I’m either paying or taking my change. I’m 30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

BBFAN wrote: »

I've posted there already because I realised that AH was a stupid place to ask for a realistic response.

Translation: I desperately want people to agree with me and I reckon that there's a far better chance of that happening if I transfer my whinge to a different forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

One of my lecturers always calls me love or pet. I find it endearing as she's old enough and it's just in her vocabulary.

Also there's a woman in my local shop that calls everyone love. Never entered my mind as being offensive. Maybe it's different for women to be called it.

I don't find it offensive at all if it's someone in the local shop. That's a different scenario altogether than a work scenario.

Surprised but not shocked that people don't understand that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

I don't find it offensive at all if it's someone in the local shop. That's a different scenario altogether than a work scenario.

Surprised but not shocked that people don't understand that.

Ah ok. I assumed given the thread title we were open discussing every scenario. What about college like I also mentioned? Also the shop worker is working, so why is it more acceptable when speaking to customers?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

I used to be called 'babe' in an all male environment. I didn't take much notice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭BohsCeltic

Do people on here genuinely refer to people in the workplace as love? Tell the truth now?

I mean someone who is in a senior position.

The only person I called love was my GF. Hi love e.t.c.
    Sometimes I didn't mean to say it but it just came naturally.
    Some people take it out of context though too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭pauliebdub

It's patronising and disrespectful. It's fine to use such terms ( mate, lad, boyo, Hun, love) etc with friends and family but not at work. Call a person by their name in a professional setting. I've rarely come across this anywhere I've worked

I used to be called 'babe' in an all male environment. I didn't take much notice.

Sounds like you were a bit of walkover so. You let people call you babe in a work environment?

pauliebdub wrote: »
    It's patronising and disrespectful. It's fine to use such terms ( mate, lad, boyo, Hun, love) etc with friends and family but not at work. Call a person by their name in a professional setting. I've rarely come across this anywhere I've worked

Thank god I'm not on my own.

Thank god I'm not on my own.

You said it's fine in a shop environment but not in work. Curious as to why you don't class working in a local shop as work?

• Advertisement

Sounds like you were a bit of walkover so. You let people call you babe in a work environment?

How am I a walkover? It didn't offend me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

If you were in Cork you'd be called "girl", no matter what your age.
    How would you like that ?

And what's wrong with that boy?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭The Legend Of Kira

In a previous job the manager would often fellows darling or love, it never bothered me. I think what the OP is getting at she might feel he,s a bit overfamilair, she said she " told him not to call me love and he continues to do so " . He should have some tact if something he says is making a co worker uncomfortable to stop saying it.

I have heard it used regularly - and not near Dublin. Women use it as much as men and it's a harmless expression. One woman I worked with always said 'love' to men and another, a man, had a habit of saying it to women. It's a friendly term of endearment, like 'pet' 'dear' 'mate' 'chuck'. Any annoyance at it is being pretty petty in my book. It's a habit with people; go with it.

Do you call your boss love?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,732 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Jesus relax sweetheart.

I’m kidding. You have a point. You also have a name and it should be used.

magentis wrote: »
    And what's wrong with that boy?

It's only in a work environment that it's offensive. Not every work environment mind, just the OP's work environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

If you talk to your staff the way you do to posters here I reckon you've bigger issues than someone calling you love.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

grindle wrote: »
    . Bringing about a new stage of intellectual development where we all become the most boring bastards ever back-and-forthing inane "doesn't-really-matter" horseshít on a niche website populated by drunk/drugged/lonely/pathetic/bored/fidgety Irish citizens.

).

Which one are you?

I'm going for fidgety - had a cocoa watching a fast paced film and now I'm wired.

It's hilarious how people here can't distinguish between a work environment and a social environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

You said it's fine in a shop environment but not in work. Curious as to why you don't class working in a local shop as work?
    Because presumably the customer doesnt work for the shop.

Think its a particularly naff noun to use for a co-worker and it would give me the heeby jeebies from a work colleague. If not your partner only really non cringe coming from old doting dears.

• Advertisement

It's hilarious how people here can't distinguish between a work environment and a social environment.

I offered an example of college lecturer and a shop owner and you dismissed these as not work, but these people were working.... is it just office work you mean? Or is it only an issue when it's between colleagues?

Maybe people find it easier to get through a tough day by having a bit of banter. You could do with loosening the fck up tbh.

I offered an example of college lecturer and a shop owner and you dismissed these as not work, but these people were working.... is it just office work you mean? Or is it only an issue when it's between colleagues?

Of course it's only an issue when it's between colleagues, don't know why you don't understand that son?

Of course it's only an issue when it's between colleagues, don't know why you don't understand that son?

So not an issue between a teacher and student? Or between a professional and a customer? What about a doctor and a patient?

Why the distinction out of interest?

Maybe people find it easier to get through a tough day by having a bit of banter. You could do with loosening the fck up tbh.

From someone who doesn't think it's any problem that people refer to them as babe I'm not a bit worried about your opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

don't know why you don't understand that son?

If you can't beat em...

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭angel eyes 2012

My boss (female) says good girl when I complete a significant task. At first I was appalled but didn't want to say anything as she is due to retire soon enough and we get on grand most of the time. Now I almost listen out for it and smile to myself - it's not worth getting annoyed about. Her boss (male) and in charge of the overall place calls me "darling". Again, I let it go over my head. I'm in a senior management role by the way.

As long as they are happy, then I'm happy. I've learnt one or two things in the workplace along the way, and "choose your battles" is a big one. "Actions speak louder than words" is another. This mightn't make sense to others but it works for me and I'm happy enough going into work most days.

I remember doing a group project placement in a place where we had to share the toilets with men, there were only two of us females there. On a Monday morning you'd be subject to a feed of farts and scutter and grunts. They had page three gals stuck to the walls there covered in sperm and what about it? People are too PC these days.

My boss (female) says good girl when I complete a significant task. At first I was appalled but didn't want to say anything as she is due to retire soon enough and we get on grand most of the time. Now I almost listen out for it and smile to myself - it's not worth getting annoyed about. Her boss (male) and in charge of the overall place calls me "darling". Again, I let it go over my head. I'm in a senior management role by the way.

As long as they are happy, then I'm happy. I've learnt one or two things in the workplace along the way, and "choose your battles" is a big one. "Actions speak louder than words" is another. This mightn't make sense to others but it works for me and I'm happy enough going into work most days.

I'm so happy that you feel able to be treated like an a slave. However ,I'm not, I'm the boss in this case.

• Advertisement

It's so wonderfully endearing to be addressed as 'love' by a glorified numpty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement