Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people feel about being called love?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Zorya wrote: »
    It looks like you have found your solution. Ribbing and mocking can be helpful......son.

You're completely right, if I started referring to him as son then then there would very quickly be a solution to this problem but I wouldn't get so childish, it's not professional, full stop. Regardless of what the esteemed people of AH think.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

Do you think my lecturer is "disgusting" for calling me love? Or that I'm a "slave" for allowing her to call me that?

Well if we go by the op you are both vile humans...

As I said earlier I found getting called pet a bit off as a bloke too but it's probably more acceptable... you know what with having a willy and all..

From an older person I'd take it as cute and endearing, from someone my age or younger id take it as local lingo or trying to be familiar. Depending on who is saying it I might think it's weird or off but I'd put it down to the human condition of everyone being different, not offensive.

Well if we go by the op you are both vile humans...

As I said earlier I found getting called pet a bit off as a bloke too but it's probably more acceptable... you know what with having a willy and all..

From an older person I'd take it as cute and endearing, from someone my age or younger id take it as local lingo or trying to be familiar. Depending on who is saying it I might think it's weird or off but I'd put it down to the human condition of everyone being different, not offensive.

So how would you take it if your subordinate called you love so? Since you didn't like being called pet?

BBFAN wrote: »
    So how would you take it if your subordinate called you love so? Since you didn't like being called pet?

What's her bra size ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,130 ✭✭✭Surreptitious

Is that how you describe a human being? The stuff you have come out with on here is a lot more offensive than some random 'love' being thrown about.

• Advertisement

What's her bra size ?

You're gas son, bet you get loads of likes. If that's what you're into that's great.

Is that how you describe a human being? The stuff you have come out with on here is a lot more offensive than some random 'love' being thrown about.

The only senior job the op has is longest service on Jobseekers ... I think we've all figured that out bg now

You're gas son, bet you get loads of likes. If that's what you're into that's great.

This isn't Facebook babe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

It's not something I worry my pretty little head about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,471 ✭✭✭con___manx1

I hate being called hun. It annoys the **** out of me can see where your coming from op.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭Zorya

It's not something I worry my pretty little head about.

Brilliant :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

In the end, the love you take...

is equal to the love...

... you make

In the end, the love you take...

is equal to the love...

... you make

Id say all of that put together equals the square root of **** all

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Depends how its said, it can sound very endearing or very patronising

The only senior job the op has is longest service on Jobseekers ... I think we've all figured that out bg now

What are you on about? I've never been on jobseekers so I think you're just making **** up now are you?

What are you on about? I've never been on jobseekers so I think you're just making **** up now are you?

The people who find the need to point out they are "senior" are generally anything but.

My apologies I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume a huge **** up on the part of HR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Relax love, just because someone on the Internet says it doesn't make it true.

Apparently I'm desperate for work anyway so if anyone needs a bit of sweeping done, hit me up.

Relax love, just because someone on the Internet says it doesn't make it true.

You okay son?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

Apparently I'm desperate for work anyway so if anyone needs a bit of sweeping done, hit me up.

I'm a desperate slave too for allowing my disgusting lecturer to call me love. I hope that intelligent and brilliant teacher loses her job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 805 ✭✭✭mrmorgan

i see there are two threads about this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Prominent_Dawg

Recently overheard a man that got on the bus say to a fully grown woman "you don't mind that there darling" as he placed a buggy next to her.. I nearly got sick, thinking did he actually just say that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

I was called “my lover” a few dozen times in England. Around Bristol area.

I have never recovered from that. I wasn’t their lover.

mrmorgan wrote: »
    i see there are two threads about this!!

Because the good people from AH told me to fcuk off to work issues.

Apparently unless you're deadly serious you should fcuk off from AH.

If you're willing to allow people to call you babe in the work place then I think it's quite clear that you're desperate Surreptitous. Seriously? You think that anyone who can defer to anyone who calls them disgusting names is okay is not desperate then I think you may have a problem. :rolleyes:

You're really showing your true colours here. I hope you know that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

At least you can take comfort in the fact that you're a normal functioning human being in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

At least you can take comfort in the fact that you're a normal functioning human being in real life.

I'm taking comfort that I don't have to work with the OP.

Of course I do babe.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Personally I hate it if it’s someone near your age/position. Different if it’s an elderly woman asking ‘what dye want love’ at the deli,

But if it’s someone in work in the same position as me or even higher saying ‘is that alright love’ I find it so condescending and threatening, and actually go about it to pop ‘love’ back into one of my questions at them.

Hate it. You are not being unreasonable

I’d make a point to show you are of higher authority.

• Advertisement

It all depends on how it's used. Love from a person you know and like can be endearing but from someone else you may not like or be friendly with, it can be used in a patronizing way. I gather the OP feels it's the latter, and it's okay to be annoyed at being patronized.

It's not just the word, it's who uses it and in what way. Context and all that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement