Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How do people feel about being called love?

Options
  • 10-11-2018 10:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭

I've recently started a new job in a quite senior position and there's on guy on the management team who has continuously called me love.

The other day I told him not to call me love and he continues to do so and then correct himself with an eyeroll as if to say "oh now I have to be careful". Really pissing me off because I believe in being straight up and telling people if there's something you don't like before going to the owners of the business but this is pissing me of now.

What do AH's think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

It's normal Dublin slang and you're overreacting massively.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

Better than being called a peeping tom by the lady next door.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

Except I don't live in Dublin and we're talking about a work situation?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It's a pretty good sign that society has never been safer and generally lacking in bad stuff and that most people's lives are pretty good when being called "love" winds someone up.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Better than being called a peeping tom by the lady next door.

What relevance has this nonsense?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,685 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

It's more than likely just a colloquialism, don't take it personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Very unprofessional imo. I've no problem with slang but if someone asks you to stop it's good manners to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

No need to get hysterical love

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Do people on here genuinely refer to people in the workplace as love? Tell the truth now?

I mean someone who is in a senior position.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

It's a dub thing that's endearing to half the city and insulting to the other half.

Got called "pet" in Argos a few months back, as a bloke I didnt know what to do with that. Though regardless of gender I think it's pretty off even if if the tone is right and I know it's well intentioned

• Advertisement

BBFAN wrote: »
    What relevance has this nonsense?

This is After hours not personal problem, it open season.
    Bet you are great craic to work with!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I hate it. It is the most patronising, annoying way to address someone unless done by someone in ther eighties or older (clear sign they are loosing it in that case).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Except I don't live in Dublin and we're talking about a work situation?

I have heard it used regularly - and not near Dublin. Women use it as much as men and it's a harmless expression. One woman I worked with always said 'love' to men and another, a man, had a habit of saying it to women. It's a friendly term of endearment, like 'pet' 'dear' 'mate' 'chuck'. Any annoyance at it is being pretty petty in my book. It's a habit with people; go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

If you were in Cork you'd be called "girl", no matter what your age.
    How would you like that ?

Do people on here genuinely refer to people in the workplace as love? Tell the truth now?

I'd call my team all sorts, we get along well and can take a joke. We give as good as we get. Different story with the suits upstairs though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Exactly. Its a manner of speaking in certain geographical areas. Like in the way I say Oh My God when I dont belive in God at all. Yes its that trivial. She is in her rights to ask anyone to refrain from useing the term but Im rather uncomfortable with the reasone one would do so as if it was used to belittle the recepient of it.

This is After hours not personal problem, it open season.
    Bet you are great craic to work with!!

Yeah, probably posted in the wrong forum given the general atmosphere in AH.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,476 ✭✭✭neonsofa

Not as bad as "good girl"

eviltwin wrote: »
    I'd call my team all sorts, we get along well and can take a joke. We give as good as we get. Different story with the suits upstairs though.

Well take I it I'm one of the "suits upstairs", as you call them. Do you still call them love?

Calm your tits.

You are not being called "gorgeous" or something sleezy by this person, its a colloquialism.

If you find it unprofessional, correct him a few more times. It can be difficult to change a habit.

Sounds like you just want him fired tbh.

• Advertisement

Sometimes when you have a problem with everyone and everything, it's you not them.

Relax sweetheart

Well take I it I'm one of the "suits upstairs", as you call them. Do you still call them love?

Absolutely not. My boss is fairly down to earth and would probably not have an issue with it but even so it's not the impression I'd like to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,309 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Its also possible one would use it as a term of respect and validation so I can't see what's so terrible about that.

Doesnt this remind you of the time Chandler from Friends boss used to pat his bum after a meeting? And all the other associates were jealous. I used to have an older superior and she called me "Honey" and we got on grand

• Registered Users Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

I don't think it even matters what position someone has, I would not dream of calling anyone at work love.

General atmosphere?

Relax cupcake.

Chewbacca wrote: »
    Calm your tits.

You are not being called "gorgeous" or something sleezy by this person, its a colloquialism.

If you find it unprofessional, correct him a few more times. It can be difficult to change a habit.

Sounds like you just want him fired tbh.

Absolutely don't want him fired. Why would I?

Absolutely don't want him fired. Why would I?

You ok hun?

Sometimes when you have a problem with everyone and everything, it's you not them.

Relax sweetheart

Where do you get the impression I have a problem with everyone and everything?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

I share your concern about him calling you 'love' ...........

.......... it's pretty clear that he should really be calling you "precious".

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement