Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely tormented by pub noise

Options
  • 10-11-2018 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

I've lived in an apartment block next to a pub for more than 4 years, over the last year the pub has started to have live acts. It must be working for them because now there is live music every Friday and Saturday night until 12.30 and most Sundays until 11am.

Its not exactly loud, if you put a decibel meter in my living room it's not going to show much, but there is still a constant low level bass for several hours each day at the weekend. I should point out that this is a lical neighbourhood pub.

I've complained several times, even called the local garda station when the music runs passed 12.30.

What's the most effective course of action and how do I find out if they're licensed to play music? If they do have a license, are there times and days specified?

I'd appreciate any advice

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

I've lived in an apartment block next to a pub for more than 4 years, over the last year the pub has started to have live acts. It must be working for them because now there is live music every Friday and Saturday night until 12.30 and most Sundays until 11am.

Its not exactly loud, if you put a decibel meter in my living room it's not going to show much, but there is still a constant low level bass for several hours each day at the weekend. I should point out that this is a lical neighbourhood pub.

I've complained several times, even called the local garda station when the music runs passed 12.30.

What's the most effective course of action and how do I find out if they're licensed to play music? If they do have a license, are there times and days specified?

Move

What do you expect living next to a pub

Entitled to do what they like if they have a license

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

I could be wrong but the only way the guards can get involved is if the pub is breaching it's license which in my experience they don't really care about. My local opens at about 10am every Sunday and the cops don't care. With the noise I'd contact the council or I've heard the EPA are taking control of noise complaints a lot more these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

Move

Bit harsh given there has been a change in noise since the OP moved in. Not like finding a new place is a walk in the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

Move

Yeah, helpful, thanks for that. I was here long before they decided to play live music and serve after hours. Also, in case you've been out of the loop for a while, it's not exactly easy to find somewhere to rent at the moment.

What do I expect? I expect a licenced premises to operate without being a nuisance to its neighbours, licensed to do what they like? Bollix, get back under your rock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 181 ✭✭Peter Denham

Yeah, helpful, thanks for that. I was here long before they decided to play live music and serve after hours. Also, in case you've been out of the loop for a while, it's not exactly easy to find somewhere to rent at the moment.

What do I expect? I expect a licenced premises to operate without being a nuisance to its neighbours, licensed to do what they like? Bollix, get back under your rock.

You're not in D20 by any chance? Being driven insane as we speak .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭JigglyMcJabs

You're not in D20 by any chance? Being driven insane as we speak .

No, Harolds Cross Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

I know the other poster worded their response unhelpfully but I think they're right. As a bar, are they doing anything wrong? It sounds like standard fare for weekend nights. I know it's a nuisance - I've been in the exact same boat (well it was worse as it wasn't just weekend nights and the noise lasted til a good bit later) but I really don't think there's anything you can do if you remain living there. It's city living unfortunately.

I moved - best decision ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Those hours are within licensing times (assumong you mean 11pm). Nothing wrong there.

You can check their planning permission to see if there were any special conditions attached. If so, complain to the councils enforcement division.

But really, if it's just a loe level noise, i think you need to build a bridge ....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Find out when they renew their pub licence and object to it
    Prompt closing might be included in the terms of renewal

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Objecting to What, he stated himself that the noise stops at 12.30 on Friday and Saturday which are pub closing times and 11.00 on Sunday which is also correct.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Ask for an appointment with the local Garda licencesing inspector/ sergeant/ superintendent, there's a specific Garda in each area assigned to this duty ( he may cover multiple Garda stations). No point in talking to an ordinary Garda.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

nice_guy80 wrote: »

Or just move out and stop whinging ? After all op did move in before this rental shortage , pub is providing local business and jobs so why try affect that ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Bigus wrote: »
    Ask for an appointment with the local Garda licencesing inspector/ sergeant/ superintendent, there's a specific Garda in each area assigned to this duty ( he may cover multiple Garda stations). No
    point in talking to an ordinary Garda.

An appointment for what exactly ? OP has not identified anything illegal so why would you waste garda time and resources?
    Basically the OP is complaining about a pub being a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,776 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Get a white noise machine for your bedroom?

Have you spoken to your neighbours?

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

It's maddening that some pubs feel they have no responsibility to neighbours.. surely the onus should be on them to properly insulate their premises but it seems that money talks and feck the rest or us. I'd get a kango Hanmer and give it a good blast every day and see how much their clientele appreciated it.. How are your neighbours affected.

An appointment for what exactly ? OP has not identified anything illegal so why would you waste garda time and resources?
    Basically the OP is complaining about a pub being a pub.
    An appointment to discuss the change in use of the pub and it's specific licence and whether live music is allowed under its current license and what time it has to cease same.
    The licensing inspector is there for this very purpose, and will have a handle on all pubs and complaints in the area , he attends all the annual licensing court hearings to voice any objections to the renewal of pub licenses. Therefore he has very very powerful powers of persuasion to publicans in his area, who if they don't listen to him will have a hard time in September renewal time.
    So if the Garda agrees with the resident he will act.

The Garda are not just there for murder cases , in fact Garda Siochana means guardians of the peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If you are a home owner you could invest in better windows in the rooms you sleep in. Triple glazing or sound proofing windows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

southstar wrote: »
    It's maddening that some pubs feel they have no responsibility to neighbours.. surely the onus should be on them to properly insulate their premises but it seems that money talks and feck the rest or us. I'd get a kango Hanmer and give it a good blast every day and see how much their clientele appreciated it.. How are your neighbours affected.
    Gotta love boards.ie, User starts thread about a noise complaint. User suggests wrecking their own gaff with a jackhammer.... That'll show them!

White noise has been great for me in a similar situation, lots of apps for it. Just be wary of dodgey permissions, a white noise app doesn't need access to your photos, contacts etc.

Cyrus wrote: »
    Get a white noise machine for your bedroom?

That's a good suggestion. You can just try 8 hours of white noise on YouTube through your phone. I'm not sure how effective white noise is for masking base tones though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭jasper100

An appointment to discuss the change in use of the pub and it's specific licence and whether live music is allowed under its current license and what time it has to cease same.
    The licensing inspector is there for this very purpose, and will have a handle on all pubs and complaints in the area , he attends all the annual licensing court hearings to voice any objections to the renewal of pub licenses. Therefore he has very very powerful powers of persuasion to publicans in his area, who if they don't listen to him will have a hard time in September renewal time.

The Garda are not just there for murder cases , in fact Garda Siochana means guardians of the peace.

All of the above sounds like pure nonsense.

The op needs to speak to his solicitor and try negotiate a solution with the pub, if that fails then object to the license renewal which is next september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

A pub on Harold’s cross road that is playing music unti 12-30?
    Are you familiar with the area?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    If you are a home owner you could invest in better windows in the rooms you sleep in. Triple glazing or sound proofing windows.

Even an owner would probably not be allowed by the management company to do major works like this

• Registered Users Posts: 16,927 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Even an owner would probably not be allowed by the management company to do major works like this

Major works? It's replacing double glazed window for triple glazing. What do you suppose happens if someone broke a window by mistake? It would be replaced of course.

jasper100 wrote: »
    All of the above sounds like pure nonsense.

The op needs to speak to his solicitor and try negotiate a solution with the pub, if that fails then object to the license renewal which is next september.

A solicitor cost money , meeting the Garda costs nothing and is quicker, the pub will listen to the Garda suggestions immediately if the Garda agrees with the residents (op) objection/ nuisance.

This is far from nonsense and happens every week all over the city. Garda have huge influence on pub behaviour, more so in residential areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,538 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Major works? It's replacing double glazed window for triple glazing. What do you suppose happens if someone broke a window by mistake? It would be replaced of course.
    It depends on the conditions of the lease. The tenant would certainly need to check with the management company, who probably don't want different types of windows in each apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

One of the pubs where I used to live had a sign up saying "Please respect residents" aimed at the patrons' ****ing stampede that would occur afterwards, and the beeping by taxi drivers picking people up. Like that worked!

But in my opinion, if it's bass vibrations until 12.30 Friday/Saturday night, and 11pm Sunday night, and there's no lock-in, and no people having a riot outside afterwards (on week nights too) it's grand tbh. Best you could hope for living near a pub in Dublin city.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Gotta love boards.ie, User starts thread about a noise complaint. User suggests wrecking their own gaff with a jackhammer.... That'll show them!

White noise has been great for me in a similar situation, lots of apps for it. Just be wary of dodgey permissions, a white noise app doesn't need access to your photos, contacts etc.

OK the kango hammer is OTT.. A recorded one perhaps.. Or Barbie Girl on a loop.. Seriously though this noise from pub can be seriously infuriating.. found out that pub below me only had permission to have tables out on street until 8pm.. after months of enduring a godawful racket till 2/3 am in the morning...they have no smoking facilities other than this so owner suddenly became quite approachable when this was pointed out to him. So reasonable all of a sudden.
    By the way what does this white noise gadget do

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Crazyivan 1979

I have quite a bit of experience of this type of issue (acoustic consultant). More often than not these situatuions end up in court, if you have the means to pursue it that is.

If you want to go down this route, judges prefer that you have exhausted all others avenues e.g. Try to resolve the issue by taking to the pub owner, then making a complaint to the environmental section of the council if the former does not resolve it.

The council may help or may do absolutley nothing! Plenty of clients of mine have had this experience.

A noise survey is advisable if you go to court, using the entertaining music breakout method (EMB).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,740 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

southstar wrote: »
    Seriously though this noise from pub can be seriously infuriating..

But as the OP says
    if you put a decibel meter in my living room it's not going to show much, but there is still a constant low level bass for several hours each day

This isn't serious infuriation, it's just snowflakery.

Check the planning. If you don't find anything wrong, then most. Either they were there first, or they got permission to do what they're doing any you didn't object.

Advertisement