Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Absolutely tormented by pub noise

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

Your plucking your "facts" out of your rear end.
    There is no SPECIFIC licence required to host live music within normal opening hours.

The "source" you quoted was also talking rubbish or the full story is not being told. If I was running my pub within the laws and a garda made such a warning to me I d be getting straight on to his sergeant or inspector or superintendent and making an official complaint and so looking for any documentation as to why they could object to me.
    If I'm wildly missing the context of your previous conversation then ignore this, but there is absolutely a specific licence for hosting music in a public premises, whether alcohol is served or not. A music and singing licence. The same applies for dancing, you need a public dance licence.

http://www.courts.ie/rules.nsf/53bd32841fc5bbf280256d2b0045bb5d/da60356593be5de78025763c004fbf04?OpenDocument

OP it might be worth checking that they're abiding by the conditions outlined in either of those licences. They should be on display somewhere by the door of the pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

No, Harolds Cross Road

Haha, was thinking that sounds like our local lately and it is

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Graniteville

southstar wrote: »
    So like I said... feck the neighbours...? Is it any wonder that these situations escalate..
    or why my neighbours and I had considered using the flat directly over the pub to play back equally irritating noise through their roof during lunch service or in competition with their live music acts. Crazy I agree but we had being living peacefully enough before this new owner arrived. And believe me as a city centre dweller my threshold for noise was well above average.. I suspect that onus would be on pub to soundproof if this issue arise in the US foe example

You need to read posts in the context they are written.

My context was that the music is in normal pub hours, hence not possible to object to special licences that pubs need for after normal hours.

Unfortunately for the OP, regular licence renewal is 30th Sept each year, so other ways of getting it resolved are required.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,613 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

You can file a section 108 complaint with the District Court at a cost of 25 euro. Judge listens to the complaint and makes a decision which might order the pub to keep the noise down. However before doing this you need to engage with the publican and try to solve the issue that way. Also if going to the District Court it would be better to go along with a group of neighbours who all file the complaint simultaneously- its very easy for the publican to claim that you are the only person complaining and therefore are being a nag for no good reason. If there are four or five of you then the judge will take it more seriously.

Just as an aside- Ive a sound decibel app on my phone and have run it before in pubs out of interest. Often you find the noise is way higher than what it needs to be. Half the problem is that staff just jack up the sound as loud as it will go when really 60% of its capacity would be more than adequate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would talk to the pub & try experimenting with the bass level reduced. Low frequency sounds are the real problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

TheChizler wrote: »
    If I'm wildly missing the context of your previous conversation then ignore this, but there is absolutely a specific licence for hosting music in a public premises, whether alcohol is served or not. A music and singing licence. The same applies for dancing, you need a public dance licence.

http://www.courts.ie/rules.nsf/53bd32841fc5bbf280256d2b0045bb5d/da60356593be5de78025763c004fbf04?OpenDocument

OP it might be worth checking that they're abiding by the conditions outlined in either of those licences. They should be on display somewhere by the door of the pub.

That refers to events where a cover charge is applied or there s a larger crowd.

As I type this im second guessing myself but it s my understanding that where a publican pays a band to play music or or group of people sit down for a seisuin its the same thing and does not require a licence beyond the normal 7
    day licence

• Registered Users Posts: 9,407 ✭✭✭TheChizler

That refers to events where a cover charge is applied or there s a larger crowd.

As I type this im second guessing myself but it s my understanding that where a publican pays a band to play music or or group of people sit down for a seisuin its the same thing and does not require a licence beyond the normal 7
    day licence
    I've applied for a few of these in the past so I used to be more familiar with it, but I don't remember that being a condition. Any place that is ordinarily used for dancing or music. It's an old act, I think this is it.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1890/act/59/section/51/enacted/en/html?q=Public+music+and+singing+licence&search_type=all

And the public dancing one is relatively modern by comparison.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1935/act/2/section/2/enacted/en/html#sec2

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KessyLima

Those hours are within licensing times (assumong you mean 11pm). Nothing wrong there.

You can check their planning permission to see if there were any special conditions attached. If so, complain to the councils enforcement division.

But really, if it's just a loe level noise, i think you need to build a bridge ....

How can I check a pub's planning permission/license, etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

day licence
    If there is a live performce you need a music licence in addition to a normal pub licence whether you charge entry or not. To allow dancing you also need a dance licence separately as crazy as it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭pauldavis123

KessyLima wrote: »
    How can I check a pub's planning permission/license, etc?

Search here:

http://www.dublincity.ie/swiftlg/apas/run/WPHAPPCRITERIA.display

Any restrictions will be listed under the Decision tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭Cerdito

Have you tried earplugs? There's different types available with the wax ones blocking out nearly everything. You can also get custom made ones where they take an impression of your ear canal, my friend got these when he had a noisy neighbour.

Advertisement