Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I wonder if the Fine Gael government will be putting up banners commemorating those who scorned and stood against any Irish role in WWI, like they did with Redmond banners during the Easter Rising centenary?

Many joined to escape poverty. All the dead should be remembered IMO, however any Irish ceremony should be far removed from the trappings of British nationalism.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

I wonder if the Fine Gael government will be putting up banners commemorating those who scorned and stood against any Irish role in WWI, like they did with Redmond banners during the Easter Rising centenary?

Many joined to escape poverty. All the dead should be remembered IMO, however any Irish ceremony should be far removed from the trappings of British nationalism.

Is it ironic that those who champion Irish nationalism most are also the most critical of British nationalism?

Is it that the glorification of British nationalism only really offends those who glorify other nationalisms?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

blanch152 wrote: »
    Is it ironic that those who champion Irish nationalism most are also the most critical of British nationalism?

Is it that the glorification of British nationalism only really offends those who glorify other nationalisms?

It's the very same train of thought of those who decry the power and structure of the EU while championing the history of the British Empire.

It's like, "Do you even hear what you are saying".

I think it's within the realms of normalcy to be nationalist and not wish to celebrate, with equal gusto, the nationalism of others. It's okay to like your country and it's heritage.
    We can recognise and morn those who died in a war without adding to the narrative of British brand jingoism.

Maybe the Fine Gael government will be putting up banners commemorating those who scorned and stood against any Irish role in WWI, like they did with Redmond banners during the Easter Rising centenary.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭Robert McGrath

I think it's within the realms of normalcy to be nationalist and not wish to celebrate, with equal gusto, the nationalism of others. It's okay to like your country and it's heritage..

On the face of it that seems fair enough, but nationalism as it’s generally understood goes beyond simply liking your country and it’s heritage in isolation. Nationalism tends to assume that there’s something unique about the country and heritage of one’s birth which is worthy of particular attachment and loyalty. Which is obviously wrong. How convenient for nationalists that they all seem to have had the good fortune to have been born into the greatest nation on earth!

I think if you strip away such superficial common reference points as pop culture and local sports teams, an urban middle class college graduate from Ireland probably has more in common with an urban middle class college graduate from England or France or Germany than they do with a fellow Irishman from a different socioeconomic background

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,799 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

blanch152 wrote: »

More ironic that what was intended as a commemorative symbol of the defence of freedom has practically become obligatory for a three to four week period, I'd suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

More ironic that what was intended as a commemorative symbol of the defence of freedom has practically become obligatory for a three to four week period, I'd suggest.

Obligatory for who? Is there someone pressing one into your chest every time you set foot out the door?

Nobody judges anyone in Ireland if they see them on November 11th without a poppy on, in fact it would appear the only judgement passed every year at all is from those who are vehemently opposed to it because of 'the cause' and 'da Brits'.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Obligatory for who?

People in the Uk, especially people in the public eye.

If you look at the BBC, it is obviously policy - they simply don't let people on without a poppy in early November.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The BBC put a poppy on a ****ing muppet (Cookie Monster) a few years ago as they expected to be criticised for not doing it, then got criticised for doing it!

People in the Uk, especially people in the public eye.

If you look at the BBC, it is obviously policy - they simply don't let people on without a poppy in early November.

Well I said Ireland specifically.

But are we really going to start complaining about the British Broadcasting Corporation having the gall to respect Armistice day now too??? It's almost as if this whole conversation is absurd........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,119 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

It's pretty simple really, I'll wear your poppy if you wear my easter lily!

But are we really going to start complaining about the British Broadcasting Corporation having the gall to respect Armistice day now too???

There are plenty of British people who think WW1 was a horrible mistake, that English nationalism has taken over the Poppy commemorations, and who refuse to wear a poppy.

These people do not appear on the BBC, because... it is the Broadcasting Corporation only for a particular Britain - official britain, respectable Britain, public school Britain, establishment Britain.

So J Random Popstar appearing on Graham Norton to plug their new single this week will have a gopher come and fit a radio mike and a poppy which is a bit creepy.

On the face of it that seems fair enough, but nationalism as it’s generally understood goes beyond simply liking your country and it’s heritage in isolation. Nationalism tends to assume that there’s something unique about the country and heritage of one’s birth which is worthy of particular attachment and loyalty. Which is obviously wrong. How convenient for nationalists that they all seem to have had the good fortune to have been born into the greatest nation on earth!

I think if you strip away such superficial common reference points as pop culture and local sports teams, an urban middle class college graduate from Ireland probably has more in common with an urban middle class college graduate from England or France or Germany than they do with a fellow Irishman from a different socioeconomic background

How so?
    Hold on, you're comparing uniqueness with 'greatest nation on Earth'? I think your own hang ups may be skewing your view.
    And now you are citing similarities we all are aware of. I think you've baggage and it's seeping into your idea of nationalism. You can like your country without trying to look down on neighbours. Mind, you've heard of Great Britain? I'd say you get great laugh out of that title?

Again, will we see banners paid for by the tax payer celebrating all those who spoke against any Irish involvement in WWI? Or is that not the done thing all of a sudden?I can see why the topic is diverted to a discussion on what nationalism is, but I was asking will WW1 commemorations receive the same broad re telling as the 1916 Rising did.

There are plenty of British people who think WW1 was a horrible mistake, that English nationalism has taken over the Poppy commemorations, and who refuse to wear a poppy.

These people do not appear on the BBC, because... it is the Broadcasting Corporation only for a particular Britain - official britain, respectable Britain, public school Britain, establishment Britain.

So J Random Popstar appearing on Graham Norton to plug their new single this week will have a gopher come and fit a radio mike and a poppy which is a bit creepy.

Oh, so the answer was yes? We actually have started complaining about a foreign state broadcaster commemorating the fallen, many of them from the state to which it mainly broadcasts. I think we've officially lost the plot, lads.

For your own health I'd avoid their coverage anytime the Trooping of the Colour takes place too if you find a reasonably unassuming symbol such as a flower to be too 'on the nose'.

For your own health I'd avoid their coverage anytime the Trooping of the Colour takes place too if you find a reasonably unassuming symbol such as a flower to be too 'on the nose'.

The creepy thing is not that the state officially commemorates their war dead - I am not interested in such commemorations but whatever.

The creepy thing is that everyone who appears on State television must wear a symbol which is part of an unofficial, voluntary commemoration.

It's as if RTÉ started pinning an Easter Lily badge on every single person who appears on the channel during Easter Week.

So suddenly it looks as if everyon in the UK is on board. Eh, no. It's like the way Republicans in the UK are erased from the official picture, in which everyone loves the Royal family.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,194 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Well I said Ireland specifically.

But are we really going to start complaining about the British Broadcasting Corporation having the gall to respect Armistice day now too??? It's almost as if this whole conversation is absurd........

Wait until they start complaining about people on RTE wearing shamrocks on March 17th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

Congratulations to our elected president on his inauguration, just going on.
    Regardless of all debate, he is our democratically elected, by huge majority, president.
    I wish him well and good health for his presidency and future.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The ceremony is practically a mass.

The pedestal this so-called republic puts religion on is a disgrace.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

SNIP. Serious discussion only please.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

The ceremony is practically a mass.

The pedestal this so-called republic puts religion on is a disgrace.

That was the case in times past but certainly not so anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,931 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That was the case in times past but certainly not so anymore.

Really? Why did we have people blessing themselves at the urging of a clergyman at our president's inauguration this evening?

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Really? Why did we have people blessing themselves at the urging of a clergyman at our president's inauguration this evening?

To many people, religion is important and it is not a problem for many of those that do not consider religion important.

I would have problems with the military trappings.

How many were wearing poppies?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

the amount of religion in that ceremony was terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Well it did include most religions and the Athiest Society, no harm in that.
    The Blue rather than the Green is a nicer colour. Is that a Presidential colour of the original colour of Ireland?
    If anyone comes across the full text of his speech, I'd like to read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

No sign of the driver this evening.
    Must have snuck in the back door...
    The smear campaign didn't work. Get over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

No sign of the driver this evening.
    Must have snuck in the back door...
    The smear campaign didn't work. Get over it.
    Water John wrote: »
    The Blue rather than the Green is a nicer colour. Is that a Presidential colour of the original colour of Ireland?
    http://www.realboyle.com/the-toon-team-presidents-inauguration/

Water John wrote: »

Yes, it appears to be the original Irish coat of arms, green being a relatively recent adoption:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coat_of_arms_of_Ireland#Presidential_Standard

To many people, religion is important and it is not a problem for many of those that do not consider religion important.

I would have problems with the military trappings.

How many were wearing poppies?

Well the President is the Supreme Commander of the Defence Forces. Seems apt they'd be hanging around.

And not sure at all what point you're trying to make Re: Poppies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,119 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Couldn't remember that it was called St Patrick's Blue. could be used if we ever to UI.

Advertisement