Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Edward M wrote: »
    I'm not depressed one bit by it at all.
    I'm concerned for sure, but not much will change because of any of it.
    I'd call it a challenging time, a time where there is change of what's accepted as the norms, norms that have allowed the situations we have to develop to where they are.

What about the changes I highlighted would give you confidence that things are going to get better. Are you aware of the environmental legislation policies which Trump has rowed back on and how Bolsanaro has said they need to utilise their rich natural resources more.

If the change people are looking for is completely inward and short term focused then that is what is so depressing.
    Everything you mentioned is due to failed policies and govts and huge corps heedless of citizens needs.
    Too much sucking on working class people trying to survive and finding it hard and their taxes being ate up by minorities, like travellers, as highlighted by Casey.

These two sentences seem to contradict each other. In one, you say this is partly because of corporations heedless of citizens needs and in the next that minorities (like travellers) are eating up everyone's taxes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Dia1988

Instead of spending 8.1 million on Lear jets, dog grooming, 250k salary, 315k unvouched expenses..........

SNIP. Stop with the nonsense please.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/miggle-d-giggles--3#/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'd call it a challenging time, a time where there is change of what's accepted as the norms, norms that have allowed the situations we have to develop to where they are.
    Everything you mentioned is due to failed policies and govts and huge corps heedless of citizens needs.
    Too much sucking on working class people trying to survive and finding it hard and their taxes being ate up by minoritys, like travellers, as highlighted by Casey.
    People are looking for change.

I would put minorities and Travelers way down the list below sweet deals, bad deals and going easy tax wise on vulture funds, Russian financial concerns and hotel bills. As you pointed out, I would suggest bad policy directly leads to a bigger tax spend on assistance to people, working included.

I see Michael D. wants the inauguration postponed by a few hours because of the remembrance ceremonies. Nice gesture but it's hardly a nationally important thing, (the war remembrance).

• Registered Users Posts: 66,888 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I would put minorities and Travelers way down the list below sweet deals, bad deals and going easy tax wise on vulture funds, Russian financial concerns and hotel bills. As you pointed out, I would suggest bad policy directly leads to a bigger tax spend on assistance to people, working included.

Have to agree Matt. Leo and the rest must be secretly delighted that Casey has become the Pied Piper for the rant generation. A few months of distraction as he leads them on a merry dance and then we will move on to something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,798 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Too much sucking on working class people trying to survive and finding it hard and their taxes being ate up by minoritys, like travellers, as highlighted by Casey.
    People are looking for change.

I see Michael D. wants the inauguration postponed by a few hours because of the remembrance ceremonies. Nice gesture but it's hardly a nationally important thing, (the war remembrance).

In fairness, 200,000 people from both North and South served during WWI, so it would be fitting for the President to mark the anniversary, whether in France or here.

• Advertisement

In fairness, 200,000 people from both North and South served during WWI, so it would be fitting for the President to mark the anniversary, whether in France or here.

It's nice to acknowledge it and I do feel for any soldier who died believing they were serving their fellow country men and women. Unfortunately this event is often hijacked toward British jingoism. It leaves a bad taste with me to honour anything associated with the British army considering their reputation. Such remembrance ceremonies should only consist of politicians and royalty apologising to the general public, IMO. I'm sure Leo will be tripping over in his poppy socks to get some photo ops.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

It's nice to acknowledge it and I do feel for any soldier who died believing they were serving their fellow county men and women. Unfortunately this event is often hijacked toward British jingoism. It leaves a bad taste with me to honour anything associated with the British army considering their reputation. Such remembrance ceremonies should only consist of politicians and royalty apologising to the general public, IMO. I'm sure Leo will be tripping over in his poppy socks to get some photo ops.

From what I've seen (very little in reality), the Irish ceremony is quite dignified and not at all jingoistic. In the UK, however, it seems to be part of an army recruitment drive, looking for more people to visit all over the world and kill the natives.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,469 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

Are you serious?
    It's nice to acknowledge it and I do feel for any soldier who died believing they were serving their fellow country men and women. Unfortunately this event is often hijacked toward British jingoism. It leaves a bad taste with me to honour anything associated with the British army considering their reputation. Such remembrance ceremonies should only consist of politicians and royalty apologising to the general public, IMO. I'm sure Leo will be tripping over in his poppy socks to get some photo ops.

Given this country's chequered past in allowing sitting Presidents to travel even as far as St. Patrick's Cathedral to take part in Armistice day commemorations, I'm sure many more Irish people see the outward rejection of anything to do with the Great War as typical Republican jingoism.

I'm happy Micheal D has taken steps like this to show our country's willingness to take part in sensible commemorations such as this one and move on from the small-mindedness of the past which prevented us from mature reflection.

Much more of it needed in the next 7 years too with what's coming down the line in terms of commemorations and celebration and certainly not something I would've been confident in any of the other 'Presidential' hopefuls being capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,263 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    Are you serious?

Given this country's chequered past in allowing sitting Presidents to travel even as far as St. Patrick's Cathedral to take part in Armistice day commemorations, I'm sure many more Irish people see the outward rejection of anything to do with the Great War as typical Republican jingoism.

I'm happy Micheal D has taken steps like this to show our country's willingness to take part in sensible commemorations such as this one and move on from the small-mindedness of the past which prevented us from mature reflection.

Much more of it needed in the next 7 years too with what's coming down the line in terms of commemorations and celebration and certainly not something I would've been confident in any of the other 'Presidential' hopefuls being capable of.

Most don't care either way about the great war.

In Unionist communities in the North it is but for 80% of the population, it is a non runner for good or bad.

If it wasn't mentioned on the news most would have no idea. It just isn't something that matters to most people.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭Cork Boy 53

Michael D has got his wish on this. The inauguration ceremony will start at 6pm on 11th November after the commemoration at 11 am that morning. Whether he will be in Dublin or in France for the remembrance ceremonies has not been announced yet. For someone like me who had 2 great uncles die in WWI, it will be an important event.

• Advertisement

Danzy wrote: »
    Most don't care either way about the great war.

In Unionist communities in the North it is but for 80% of the population, it is a non runner for good or bad.

If it wasn't mentioned on the news most would have no idea. It just isn't something that matters to most people.

Not true for me personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Michael D has got his wish on this. The inauguration ceremony will start at 6pm on 11th November after the commemoration at 11 am that morning. Whether he will be in Dublin or in France for the remembrance ceremonies has not been announced yet. For someone like me who had 2 great uncles die in WWI, it will be an important event.

Dublin.

Statement said it will give government ministers chance to go to ceremonies abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 21,118 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The numbers that fought and died in WW1 from Ireland was massive. Many not from the Unionist side. All happened was in political discourse it was overshadowed by the War of Ind. Those who gave their lives were largely wiped from public memory but their families remember them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,032 ✭✭✭✭hotmail.com

The 6.1 News on RTE will be affected the most by this move.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭richiepurgas

Will they say the Angelus first at the ceremony ?

Respect for the dead is due but the ceremony is often hijacked by British nationalism. That's my issue with the whole event, not the soldiers who died. It's generally British propaganda. As I say, the Royals and politicians should be begging forgiveness on behalf of the institutions they represent at such events.

Will they say the Angelus first at the ceremony ?

No though it was a facetious question anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

did you know them well?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,920 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

did you know them well?

Would you say the same to a 1916 relative?

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,373 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Would you say the same to a 1916 relative?
    1916 was an Irish war for independence
    Anyone who died that was Irish in WW1 did so while being a mercenary for the queen's shilling and not fighting for their country for honour. You cannot compare the two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

ELM327 wrote: »
    1916 was an Irish war for independence
    Anyone who died that was Irish in WW1 did so while being a mercenary for the queen's shilling and not fighting for their country for honour. You cannot compare the two.

Fúck. You.

My great-uncle ran away from home and joined the british army to get away from a lifetime of trying to scratch a living out of farming in a bog. He died no-one knows where, probably somewhere in Turkey - a little lost 16 year old irish boy, more than 100 years ago.

He deserves to be remembered, they all deserve to be remembered.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

ELM327 wrote:
    1916 was an Irish war for independence Anyone who died that was Irish in WW1 did so while being a mercenary for the queen's shilling and not fighting for their country for honour. You cannot compare the two.

That is an incredibly ignorant point.
    Shameful in fact.

You should be embarrassed to presume you know the motivations of tens of thousands of people fighting in a war 100 years ago.

did you know them well?

Absolutely ignorant comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,200 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Shameful in fact.

You should be embarrassed to presume you know the motivations of tens of thousands of people fighting in a war 100 years ago.

It would be fair to say that a lot of men, particularly Irish men, fought primarily to escape poverty.

Nothing shameful in acknowledging that point

B0jangles wrote: »
    Fúck. You.

My great-uncle ran away from home and joined the british army to get away from a lifetime of trying to scratch a living out of farming in a bog. He died no-one knows where, probably somewhere in Turkey - a little lost 16 year old irish boy, more than 100 years ago.

He deserves to be remembered, they all deserve to be remembered.
    Swear words, would expect better in the politics forum

My grandfather and my grandfather in law both fought in WW1, grandfather survived and grandfather in law died.

We speak about it as a family of staunch republicans quite a bit, fully aware that he died at work and not serving his country. Big difference.

Shameful in fact.

What a mindless comment. How can you appropriate your opinions now to a land where Ireland was under British rule and the seeds of independence were being sown here, yet you want national remembrance and celebration for those that fought under the banner of our oppressors?

I think Mr Musician sums it up nicely

It would be fair to say that a lot of men, particularly Irish men, fought primarily to escape poverty.

Nothing shameful in acknowledging that point

Swear words, would expect better in the politics forum

My grandfather and my grandfather in law both fought in WW1, grandfather survived and grandfather in law died.

We speak about it as a family of staunch republicans quite a bit, fully aware that he died at work and not serving his country. Big difference.

Your opinion hardly merits a more considered rebuttal; it rarely does.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,267 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note
    did you know them well?
    B0jangles wrote: »
    Fúck. You.

It should go without saying that comments such as these have no place on the forum and sanctions have been handed out to all concerned.

If you can't have a civil discussion, don't post here.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

How can you appropriate your opinions now to a land where Ireland was under British rule and the seeds of independence were being sown here, yet you want national remembrance and celebration for those that fought under the banner of our oppressors?

Redmond's Irish Parliamentary Party backed the British war effort to help a promised peaceful transition to Home Rule following WWI. Many who signed up would have been in favour of Home Rule.

Pearse and co. did not believe in a peaceful transition, they believed in watering the tree of liberty with the blood of patriots etc (i.e. they were nuts). They disobeyed orders from their own commanders in the Volunteers to start the always-doomed 1916 rebellion which most Irish people did not support at the time.

You are viewing events from 100 years later based on one sides version of events.

• Advertisement

Not only did my great-uncle die in the Great War, his brother (my grandfather) fought in the War of Independence, the Civil War and helped build the new Irish Army in the decades that followed. He was remembered by his colleagues as one of the great officer trainers and when he died, he was given a 3-volley salute over his grave.

He had zero time for the windbaggery of armchair 'republicans'.

Advertisement