Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's Inner City 'Zombies'

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Same As wrote: »
    Honest question, is it me or are there more and more 'zombies' marauding around Dublin City Centre these days?

I left Dublin in December 2017 having lived in the city centre for the bones of 5 years and it seems to have gotten noticeably worse with each visit over the past year.

I've never seen anything like it in any other city I've ever visited...why Dublin? Not to generalize but the place has a chronic drug problem that doesn't seem to warrant discussion/action.

Except you either missed it or didnt go the places where it was present. Every , every, every city on earth has drug and homeless problems many or most of them with far worse problems than dublin

MarkY91 wrote: »
    It's far worse than most first world cities I've been to.

I take it you havnt been to vancouver, among the cities with the highest quality of lfie on earth, and with drug problems far worse than anything in dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

So which countries/cities have solved this problem by (presumably) ending welfare, budget increases and a far right approach to crime?

Which countries have solved it with the nonsense that goes on here?

Every city in the west has junkies. Most cities rightly sweep it under the carpet.

Nobody wants this in their faces every day. Put them in some abandoned industrial estate and let them zombie around to their heart's content.

Financially we are actually being hit twice - paying for them in the first instance and then suffering the reputational damage the city takes that puts off visitors and potential investment.

I don't mind the former so long as we are not vandalising our own city by having all the treatment centers centralised.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I can't tell you why those security guards let those two people in the Ilac at the weekend. I can tell it wasn't from 'fear of being called racist', as you suggest. Security staff can bar anyone they choose with reason, once that reason isn't the race of the person involved.

Sure. But it is for some weird reason we dont quite understand yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

SHOVELLER wrote: »
    I live in DC and while there are homeless who do take up parks there are no junkies walking around the Mall or downtown. In any case it is irrelevant as the topic is Dublin. Going back and forth comparing other cities is pointless. 
    Dublin has junkies walking around like zombies because the clinics are in the city centre. A solution needs to be found to stop this.

Why on Earth would they hang around on the Mall? There's nothing there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,414 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

The city centre is beyond redemption and I reckon most Dubliners avoid it for the most part.

How come it's full of Dubliners everyday?

Really is some amount of rubbish posted in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,752 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

murpho999 wrote: »
    How come it's full of Dubliners everyday.

Really is some amount of rubbish posted in this thread.

Poster had mistaken Dublin for London in 28 Days Later.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

AllForIt wrote: »
    I can't tell you why those security guards let those two people in the Ilac at the weekend. I can tell it wasn't from 'fear of being called racist', as you suggest. Security staff can bar anyone they choose with reason, once that reason isn't the race of the person involved.

The only weird thing going on here is people making up laws that don't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

The issue of the free travel pass for junkies needs to be looked at. Being a junkie should not give you the entitlement to free travel and should not be seen as a sickness.

Also, the methadone policy in this country is a mess. Giving people extremely high dosage of this drug once or twice a week with no way of ever weaning them off it is simply wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Some delicate constitutions on here. I work on Abbey Street, and regularly walk on Talbot, Parnell, Jervis Street. Alone. At night. And I am a five foot two woman.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Some delicate constitutions on here. I work on Abbey Street, and regularly walk on Talbot, Parnell, Jervis Street. Alone. At night. And I am a five foot two woman.

Bed-wetters who look for the nearest Guard at the sign of someone wearing a tracksuit mostly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

canonball5 wrote: »
    The issue of the free travel pass for junkies needs to be looked at. Being a junkie should not give you the entitlement to free travel and should not be seen as a sickness.

Also, the methadone policy in this country is a mess. Giving people extremely high dosage of this drug once or twice a week with no way of ever weaning them off it is simply wrong.

How do addicts get travel passes ? I work with homeless , some are addicts ,I'd like to get them all free travel passes.
    How do I do it ?

Bed-wetters who look for the nearest Guard at the sign of someone wearing a tracksuit mostly.

Indeed, I said similar yesterday.
    Augeo wrote: »
    Neither Talbot Street or anypart of the Boardwalk is a no go area, at least during the day, evenings from my experience.

As others have mentioned the zombies etc are very much a minority group. I reckon many folk just think anyone in a tracksuit is a junkie tbh and like to appear all worldly wise discussing Dublin's drug issue.

An addict is primarily a human being who is going through hell, if you can accept that or swing your mind around to seeing it to be 10/20% true even then empathy might work wonders.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,468 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

AllForIt wrote: »

The only weird thing going on here is people making up laws that don't exist.
    So which countries/cities have solved this problem by (presumably) ending welfare, budget increases and a far right approach to crime?

Which countries have solved it with the nonsense that goes on here?

Every city in the west has junkies. Most cities rightly sweep it under the carpet.

Nobody wants this in their faces every day. Put them in some abandoned industrial estate and let them zombie around to their heart's content.

Financially we are actually being hit twice - paying for them in the first instance and then suffering the reputational damage the city takes that puts off visitors and potential investment.

I don't mind the former so long as we are not vandalising our own city by having all the treatment centers centralised.
    I don't suppose the possibility of reducing the likelihood of people (and they are PEOPLE) going down this road in the first place would be considered?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,500 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I work on Abbey Street, and regularly walk on Talbot, Parnell, Jervis Street. Alone. At night. And I am a five foot two woman.

Hooker?

;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭sasta le

Not everyone is as tough as you junkies can be intimidating for some people and then some junkies just go for it and use violence regardless of age size gender

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Maybe - doesn't make your point any different.

Lots of cities have problems with drug users and homelessness. Dublin isn't the worst. I do see it as a place where there are a lot of people that just seem to lack direction though and seem to be drifitng through life. This I see more than a lot of other places I've lived in.

I have no idea how that is something one would notice, being an abstract concept.

How do addicts get travel passes ? I work with homeless , some are addicts ,I'd like to get them all free travel passes.
    How do I do it ?

The methadone programme allows addicts to apply for "long term sick benefits" such as the disability allowance. Under this allowance they are entitled to a free travel pass which doesn't even require a photo ID and can be abused by anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

The methadone programme allows addicts to apply for "long term sick benefits" such as the disability allowance. Under this allowance they are entitled to a free travel pass which doesn't even require a photo ID and can be abused by anyone.

While this was true previously any new travel passes (strictly speaking a PSC card) will be a photo id. The old passes are being phased out.

sasta le wrote: »
    Not everyone is as tough as you junkies can be intimidating for some people and then some junkies just go for it and use violence regardless of age size gender

Some as in a minuscule, tiny minority presumably.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

This government and homeless system is a joke, they put clean people in the same room with addicts as a safety measure, incase the addict od's but most of the clean people end up on the gear too, the amount of young lads I have seen turn into one of these so called zombies is unbelievable and it's all because of the homeless system.

Turn most of the hostels into treatment centers get the zombies clean and keep the clean people away from the addicts.

Without a home these people are vulnerable and I don't blame them for taking something to forget their situation.

5 years in this system and getting nowhere myself, God knows how I have stayed clean, apart from the odd slip on alcohol or benzos.

Being on methadone does not qualify you for disability allowance.You can apply for whatever you want , it doesn't mean you'll get it.

Years ago , if your clinic was a bus journey away from where you live , you got an allowance in your welfare payment , the equivalent of bus fares.

They are just being completely over dramatic, some posters talking about hating seeing the sight of junkies, jesus wept get over yourself, anyone is allowed walk around the city

sasta le wrote: »

I am very much a softie, not a hope Id win a fight with almost anybody, Ive never felt even slightly threatened in dublin city centre, certain folk Id avoid if I saw them at the end of a quiet street at night but if you keep your wits about you youll be fine.
    Dublin is SO safe compared to nearly everywhere in the world I nearly feel a bit bad for anyone who thinks its 'dangerous', dont know how the poor chaps will make it in the world if they think that

Being on methadone does not qualify you for disability allowance.You can apply for whatever you want , it doesn't mean you'll get it.

Years ago , if your clinic was a bus journey away from where you live , you got an allowance in your welfare payment , the equivalent of bus fares.

That is completely not true. I have 2 members of my family using these passes and if a doctor signs you off as being disabled and unable to work you can apply for a pass and it most likely will be granted. It was harder for my grandmother to get a disabled pass for her car than it was for two junkies in my family to get their free travel pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Being on methadone on its own wont qualify you for it but long term heroin use is not conducive to good overall health. They usually have something else wrong with them that does qualify them for disability allowance.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,631 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Same As wrote: »
    Honest question, is it me or are there more and more 'zombies' marauding around Dublin City Centre these days?

I left Dublin in December 2017 having lived in the city centre for the bones of 5 years and it seems to have gotten noticeably worse with each visit over the past year.

I've never seen anything like it in any other city I've ever visited...why Dublin? Not to generalize but the place has a chronic drug problem that doesn't seem to warrant discussion/action.

you mean people walking around staring into their phones?

Yeah definite rise in the epidemic :)

That is completely not true. I have 2 members of my family using these passes and if a doctor signs you off as being disabled and unable to work you can apply for a pass and it most likely will be granted. It was harder for my grandmother to get a disabled pass for her car than it was for two junkies in my family to get their free travel pass.

Your examples of your relatives are couldn't be taken as good examples unless you know thier full medical history .A disabled driving pass is not the same as a travel pass .

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Topdolla

The reason they are all walking the streets during the day is something called the freephone, they have to ring for a bed each day and the hostels don't open till 6.30, so after they have a hostel to go to the streets clear up and after 10.30 they are all in. Unless they are on the street or have a 24hr, 6 month bed.

This system has to change its an absolute joke!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Topdolla wrote: »
    The reason they are all walking the streets during the day is something called the freephone, they have to ring for a bed each day and the hostels don't open till 6.30, so after they have a hostel to go to the streets clear up and after 10.30 they are all in. Unless they are on the street or have a 24hr, 6 month bed.

This system has to change its an absolute joke!!!

Not quite.
    In the morning, their high has worn off.
    The morning is about scrambling to get money together to buy gear and selling the goods they have acquired to get money.
    The afternoon is when they meet the dealers.
    Then they scuttle off to wherever they go to get high and then repeat the cycle the next morning.

Advertisement