Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Peter Casey's beliefs of Travellers' ethnicity Part II

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭omega man

Has Casey or any Caseyites got solutions to the obvious problems in the travelling community. Problems nobody is denying exist. Including tavellers representative groups themselves.

Anyone got practical solutions?

Out of curiosity, what are these problems (not of their own making)?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 378 ✭✭Redneck Culchie

Friday night is all the more absurd when you consider our taxes fund Pavee Point, Ryan Tubridy and Jennifer Maguires salaries, and the university fees of the travellers in the audience.

Would really make you hop out of bed on a cold Monday morning.....:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭Edward M

he really isn't the messenger the rural community have been waiting for. he does not speak for the whole of the rural community. he speaks for some of it only and the votes reflect this.

Peter Casey is the messiah we have been waiting for, the gospel is changing in relation to what we are forced to endure from travellers and our rights to tell it like it is to anyone who doesn't understand why our feelings towards them are as they are.
    They may well be a different culture, but a large element of them are thugs, thieves or intolerant hypocrites, that's my genuine opinion of them.
    I've experienced it from them and know many more who have too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

i just answered that. both the state and tenant pay.

in that specific case yes, however it doesn't answer what i asked. perhapse you could answer the original question?

they are obligated to do so, and if they don't the council has the ability to evict them. i'm aware the council will rarely take up the option to evict non-payers but the ability is there. what needs to happen is a deduction at source (wages/benefits) to deal with that issue.

The thing is that people like yourself and Francie are actually totally detached from the reality of what happens on the ground and in reality

It’s so easy to say that they should pay their rent and council should evict - the reality is that they don’t pay and don’t get evicted, on the contrary the council are sent in to renovate the wrecked houses and clean up the filthy halting sites at huge costs

So you can blab on all you want about what “should” happen but the thing is people are sick and tired of what actually happens - in the real world

• Registered Users Posts: 12,789 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

What is Casey's education record because he doesn't strike me as very intellectually bright or articulate

Is that a definition of hate speech?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

And where will the McCarthys and Caseys get their contribution?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

And where will the McCarthys and Caseys get their contribution?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

MOD - Closing this thread as we've gone well north of 10k posts.

A part 2 may or may not be opened tomorrow. Although most likely not as all that's needed to be said was said.

I especially liked the bit about the migration habits of Southern Hemisphere Swallows.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,518 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

Mod: Reopened.

May god have mercy on us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I wonder if this thread would still be here if Casey hadn't made those comments. One can't deny that he has opened up debate.

• Advertisement

Let us fight the good fight and let the best person win.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭dav3

Well done lads, keeping your finger on the pulse of what Irish people want once again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

dav3 wrote:
    Well done lads, keeping your finger on the pulse of what Irish people want once again.

Sounds like you want the thread closed, why?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,157 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Look how that worked out. FF-FG practically merged and a motley crew of independents in a government that is hamstrung with fear of facing the electorate.

Full employment Francis, that’s the main building block in position.

The rest is work in progress, no trace of hamstringing there in my opinion.

Check the surveys Francis, I think those who get up early are, while not entirely happy with the current set up, can see that if Murphy and Coppinger’s lot got a sniff of power they would quickly run the craft up onto the rocks and then walk back to their state jobs in Coppingers case.

Middle Ireland is well clued in Francis,and all the shade you and your lot throw their way don’t amount to a hill of beans.

But shure keep the keyboard banging away, keeps you folk happy I guess, while the rest of us get on with life paying our taxes and contributing.

Hope the leg has fully recovered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭mattser

Creche reopened. Meanwhile the rest of us go to work.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Sounds like you want the thread closed, why?

Oh I believe we can make an educated guess!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,634 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Discodog wrote: »
    I wonder if this thread would still be here if Casey hadn't made those comments. One can't deny that he has opened up debate.

Yes, before Peter Casey we never had threads complaining about travelers, the dole, or what our taxes are spent on. All hail Peter Casey, shining a light on topics no-one had ever considered discussing before.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

<snip, actually thats a bit too much .... (video of a traveller beating another traveller) its all over twitter I assume, nasty stuff...

lovely people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

Do you think its worth emailing our TDS to request that ethic status be removed from travellers. I believe it was unconstitutional to bestow this status in the first place as Bunreacht na HEireann guaranteed equal rights to everyone and this right should mean no ethnic status should be deserving of any special protection.

We had a thread running for weeks and not one person, even Pavee Pointless defenders could give a coherent reason why some of our population should be deemed more important than others, we were asked what we thought before this status was granted so email your TDS now with your views.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

The hatchet job of an interview on the late late was the first issue discussed on 96fm this morning

Consensus from the presenter and the caller was that Tubridy showed his bias, lost control and Tubridy wanted to take Casey down but didn't know how

• Advertisement

tretorn wrote: »
    Do you think its worth emailing our TDS to request that ethic status be removed from travellers. I believe it was unconstitutional to bestow this status in the first place as Bunreacht na HEireann guaranteed equal rights to everyone and this right should mean no ethnic status should be deserving of any special protection.

We had a thread running for weeks and not one person, even Pavee Pointless defenders could give a coherent reason why some of our population should be deemed more important than others, we were asked what we thought before this status was granted so email your TDS now with your views.

I don't think any TD would stick their necks out on that issue only to be called a 'racist' and to be seen to be picking on a 'vulnerable minority'

• Registered Users Posts: 51,652 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Yes, before Peter Casey we never had threads complaining about travelers, the dole, or what our taxes are spent on. All hail Peter Casey, shining a light on topics no-one had ever considered discussing before.

So why all the furore?
    As I see it Casey brought it up and it resonated with people, particularly those who see traveller "culture" in action on a regular basis AND no other politicians raise their concerns.

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    The hatchet job of an interview on the late late was the first issue discussed on 96fm this morning

Consensus from the presenter and the caller was that Tubridy showed his bias, lost control and Tubridy wanted to take Casey down but didn't know how

Has Margaret Cash been interviewed yet? I thought that she’d have been in the LLS audience Friday night along with her legal advisor.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,228 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So why all the furore?
    As I see it Casey brought it up and it resonated with people, particularly those who see traveller "culture" in action on a regular basis AND no other politicians raise their concerns.

Furore, because a toxic tactic is trying to introduce itself into Irish politics at any cost.
    It was overwhelmingly defeated at one election and it's now being ridiculed as a tactic by some media and electorate alike. I notice rant sites like the Liberal.ie seem to be supporting it too.
    Casey himself is doing a fair job at demonstrating it was just an 'elect me' tactic too.

Furore, because a toxic tactic is trying to introduce itself into Irish politics at any cost.
    It was overwhelmingly defeated at one election and it's now being ridiculed as a tactic by some media and electorate alike. I notice rant sites like the Liberal.ie seem to be supporting it too.
    Casey himself is doing a fair job at demonstrating it was just an 'elect me' tactic too.

Funny that you held the opposite view with the 50/50 bread man.
    You called that a rant too.
    Flip flop Francie.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I don't think any TD would stick their necks out on that issue only to be called a 'racist' and to be seen to be picking on a 'vulnerable minority'

They are as much Irish as I am. – Kevin O’Keeffe

I believe we live in a republic where all our citizens should have equal rights and equal responsibilities. – Robert Troy

I wouldn’t see the point in singling them out as any different. They are the same as any human being. – Michael Collins

A case has not been convincingly made for the designation of a distinct ethnic status for the Travelling community. – Mattie McGrath

Exactly.
    Tubs lost his cool live on air for all to see.
    Cringeworthy.

They are as much Irish as I am. – Kevin O’Keeffe

I believe we live in a republic where all our citizens should have equal rights and equal responsibilities. – Robert Troy

I wouldn’t see the point in singling them out as any different. They are the same as any human being. – Michael Collins

A case has not been convincingly made for the designation of a distinct ethnic status for the Travelling community. – Mattie McGrath

I presume those comments were before the travellers got ethnicity though?

Even Charlie Flanagan disagreed on them getting ethnicity before Enda gave it to them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

Even Charlie Flanagan disagreed on them getting ethnicity before Enda gave it to them

I've yet to have anyone give me a satisfactory explanation as to why one white person born in Dublin is somehow a different ethnic background to a different white person born in Dublin.

Travellers are Irish. Workshy, entitled and antisocial with a disproportional criminality issue yeah, but as Irish as you and I.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,334 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.thejournal.ie/traveller-ethnicity-ireland-2801339-Jun2016/%3famp=1

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement