Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

All Stars RTE

• 02-11-2018 8:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭

What a dour affair... What's the point of it? The winners are already known. There isn't even the pretend excitement of picking from three nominations or something .

Just walking the winners out.

The lads are like a lineup at a funeral :/

And three presenters doing their bit in turn

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66,781 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Desperate idea. Everyone just looks uncomfortable.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,729 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Not surprised Clifford is YPOTY.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Howard wins an AI and performs in every game, Clifford doesn’t get out of the Super 8’s!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Who going to win the individual awards?

Fenton and Canning pour moi.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Howard wins an AI and performs in every game, Clifford doesn’t get out of the Super 8’s!!!!!!!

Howard was never gonna win what is essentially a popularity contest with him. The chap has been anointed since he was minor.

FWIW Clifford was brilliant.....Howard was other-worldly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Darragh Fitzgibbon gets an all star but not YPOTY.

Kyle Hayes doesn't get an All Star but wins YPOTR.

Doesn't make any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

ArielAtom wrote: »

He won an All-Star in a position he didn't play in, whats your view on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭cms88

corny wrote: »
    Howard was never gonna win what is essentially a popularity contest with him. The chap has been anointed since he was minor.

FWIW Clifford was brilliant.....Howard was other-worldly.

You of course wouldn't be bias at all with those comments...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

djPSB wrote: »
    Darragh Fitzgibbon gets an all star but not YPOTY.

Kyle Hayes doesn't get an All Star but wins YPOTR.

Doesn't make any sense.

A farce that K Hayes got no all star..Limerick get one forward ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

And the All Star award for saying "looked I suppose" goes to.......

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

Well done to Cian Lynch on POTY, but Padraig Mannion surely hard done by. Hopefully it will inspire him to ever greater heights in 2019.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Cian Lynch getting player of the year shows the all stars once again is not based on form but more on perceived false perceptions he wasn't even Limericks top player and his mid field partner had a greater influence in every game...same crap we see each year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

cms88 wrote: »
    He won an All-Star in a position he didn't play in, whats your view on that?

‘‘Tis a joke, moved him to shoehorn in McHugh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,038 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Micheal Lyster professional right to the end of his broadcasting career.Hope his health stays good and he enjoys a long happy retirement.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

All Stars turning into a popularity contest. There were about 5 fellas more deserving of POTY than Cian Lynch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭leestone

Angliru wrote: »
    All Stars turning into a popularity contest. There were about 5 fellas more deserving of POTY than Cian Lynch.

totally true....he got it because he is the more familiar face of Limerick Hurling, his uncle is a former all star etc...he appears more in the media than his team mates id have picked at least six of his teammates ahead of him for that award...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

leestone wrote: »
    totally true....he got it because he is the more familiar face of Limerick Hurling, his uncle is a former all star etc...he appears more in the media than his team mates id have picked at least six of his teammates ahead of him for that award...
    He is the most naturally gifted player in the squad though... the one thing you can say about the All Stars is that they always throw up surprises, it never goes totally to script.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Looks like I'm in a minority thinking lynch deserved hoty. I also think Hayes deserved yhoty.

I'm not saying they were head and shoulders above the other contendors as it is always going to be very close given the nature of championship hurling.

Mannion was absolutely outstanding all year and I would have been happy to see him win it too.

As for comments about it being a popularity contest. It's the players to that do the voting, so in a sense it is true. However the players are best positioned to make informed votes and I think it's a bit cheap to disregard their collective opinion just because you don't agree with their choices. Love it or hate it, it is an award by the players themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

puzl wrote: »
    Mannion was absolutely outstanding all year and I would have been happy to see him win it too.

Like the Galway team all summer they were outstanding for 30 minutes in every game, but always took their foot off the gas. They got away with it until the All Ireland Final.

I don't think Mannion deserved it. They always want to give it to a player on the All Ireland winning team anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭small town girl

Conas wrote: »
    Like the Galway team all summer they were outstanding for 30 minutes in every game, but always took their foot off the gas. They got away with it until the All Ireland Final.

I don't think Mannion deserved it. They always want to give it to a player on the All Ireland winning team anyway.

Three Waterford men have won it in the past twenty years, bet they'd swap them for three All Ireland's :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

The POTY is picked/voted on by the players. Problem is, only 3 players are put forward for voting. Mannion and Canning suffered because of this as their vote was almost definitely split giving Lynch a free run. Has happened in football previously too with Fenton losing out.
    There should be no shortlist,just let every player vote for who he wants.
    If I was a player with a vote this year, it would be a toss up between Conlon and Mulcahy,with my Limerick bias picking Mulcahy who was simply phenomenal all year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭corny

cms88 wrote: »
    You of course wouldn't be bias at all with those comments...

No more than a Kerry person would be biased the other way. However, i think i could make a more convincing case for the neutral as to why Howard was more deserving of the award.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Cian Lynch wasn't in the top 10 hurlers in the country not to mind hurler of the year.

Imo of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

djPSB wrote: »
    Cian Lynch wasn't in the top 10 hurlers in the country not to mind hurler of the year.

Imo of course.

He was good but I don't think he was even Limerick's best player this year. He was probably going to win it once they put him up against 2 Galway players though as I'm sure their vote was split. Should be an open vote really. Vote for whoever you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Conas

He was good but I don't think he was even Limerick's best player this year. He was probably going to win it once they put him up against 2 Galway players though as I'm sure their vote was split. Should be an open vote really. Vote for whoever you want.

I think it should be an open vote alright, let the public decide. That would put the politics and bias to one side.
    Considering the Sunday game panel were all unanimous in picking Pádraic Mannion as the hurler of the year, I'm sure Cian Lynch himself was not expecting to win it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

Let the public vote? You'd have 15 Dublin hurling allstars. This isn't the xfactor.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,796 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Much like the mythical date when there last wasn't a sofa sale on in DFS, has there ever been a year when people didn't call the all stars a joke and a disgrace? As long as I can remember, people have been saying "the All Stars have become a joke". So if they're so bad now, when weren't they a joke? If the internet existed in 1988 I guarantee you'd have the same debates as today saying x deserved an All Star and y only got in because of his name.

Or more importantly, how could you possibly compare between eras? Like how can you objectively measure how much a "disgrace" any given years All Star selection is?

How could you honestly determine that the All Stars of the 1980s were the clear cut, black and white best players in each position with no leeway or debate. Yet the All Stars of today are just about agendas, egos, bias, popularity, tokenism etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭LMK

I think the levelling off or levelling up as it actually is has made the All-stars more contentious, there are a lot of equally excellent players is both hurling and football.
    There has never been as many skilful participants as there are now, and picking players of the year is doubly difficult because there is so little between players.
    Cian Lynch was outstanding for Limerick all year, himself ,darragh O'Donovan , Tom Morrissey Kyle Hayes, Gearoid Hegarty and Seamus Flanagan overwhelmed opponents with their relentless high tempo competitiveness... He was brilliant in the first 3 games when the show was being put together and he was (IMO) the one player Limerick could not afford to lose he was the one setting the tone...

• Registered Users Posts: 17,291 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

puzl wrote: »
    Let the public vote? You'd have 15 Dublin hurling allstars. This isn't the xfactor.

The players vote for the player of the year awards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

corny wrote: »
    No more than a Kerry person would be biased the other way. However, i think i could make a more convincing case for the neutral as to why Howard was more deserving of the award.

But it was neutrals in the main that voted was it not? The POTY & YPOTY are the only awards I’d put any stock in as they are voted by players rather than journalists.

FWIW I think it was probably a very close one and nobody would be complaining if the young man from Dublin had won the award. Howard came in to an utterly dominant team and performed very well under no real pressure as his team easily controlled every game. Clifford almost single handedly dragged his underperforming team through the Super 8’s with a maturity far beyond his years and I think that’s why he pipped Howard.

Advertisement