Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Deviso

Travelling this afternoon (bank holiday) from Pearse to Clongriffin.

The timetable told me to board the northbound DART to Howth for 2 stops, get off at Connolly then board the 17:20 Drogheda service at platform 6.

I thought this was unusual, as I assumed non-peak diesel services no longer stopped at Clongriffin. I hung around at platform 6, (watched the message board cycle through all the stations with lifts out of order) before realising Drogheda wasn't on the board.

Spotted a diesel train on platform 4 so decided to run downstairs, under the tunnel, up to platform 4. The diesel train showed no information on the side. There are no message boards on platform 4 either - other than 1 which shows the final destination only. I walked down to the Information booth at the bottom of the platform, which of course was closed. I went out to the guy on the turnstiles and was told the Drogheda train doesn't stop at Clongriffin. I headed back in, before looking up at the overhead message boards in the foyer, which told me it in fact did go to Clongriffin. Directly above your man's head too.

So I sheepishly boarded, and here I am, on my way, with no driver's announcement, a broken on-board display, heading to Drogheda with absolutely no idea if I can get off at Clongriffin.

Take a bow Irish Rail.

Wish me luck!

Did you get to Clongrififin alright? Only a small % of Drogheda Commuter trains stop there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

17.20 stopped there like most N Commuter services today.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,039 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

There was a SPAD yesterday which probably resulted in a driver taken down.
    I’d hazard a gues the services cancelled had something to do with this. No proof mind you, just a guess.

That was a signal fault. Driver OK.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    That was a signal fault. Driver OK.

You are incorrect.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

You are incorrect.

I'm not, I'm looking at the email :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Hilly Bill wrote: »
    I'm not, I'm looking at the email :)

If you say so.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Infini wrote: »
    Actually have to wonder if the driver overshot due to poor Rail Adhesion rather than passing it due to other reasons.

The signal bounced back to red as the train was approaching.

The signal bounced back to red as the train was approaching.

So there was a SPAD caused by a signal fault then...

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    So there was a SPAD caused by a signal fault then...
    Yes,

• Registered Users Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Travelling this afternoon (bank holiday) from Pearse to Clongriffin.

The timetable told me to board the northbound DART to Howth for 2 stops, get off at Connolly then board the 17:20 Drogheda service at platform 6.

I thought this was unusual, as I assumed non-peak diesel services no longer stopped at Clongriffin. I hung around at platform 6, (watched the message board cycle through all the stations with lifts out of order) before realising Drogheda wasn't on the board.

Spotted a diesel train on platform 4 so decided to run downstairs, under the tunnel, up to platform 4. The diesel train showed no information on the side. There are no message boards on platform 4 either - other than 1 which shows the final destination only. I walked down to the Information booth at the bottom of the platform, which of course was closed. I went out to the guy on the turnstiles and was told the Drogheda train doesn't stop at Clongriffin. I headed back in, before looking up at the overhead message boards in the foyer, which told me it in fact did go to Clongriffin. Directly above your man's head too.

So I sheepishly boarded, and here I am, on my way, with no driver's announcement, a broken on-board display, heading to Drogheda with absolutely no idea if I can get off at Clongriffin.

Take a bow Irish Rail.

Wish me luck!

what am I missing that you would not just stay on the DART for this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

what am I missing that you would not just stay on the DART for this?

Howth DART does not go to Clongriffin.

Happy to report that I got off at my stop :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,207 ✭✭✭Rashers72

Your experience of complete communication breakdowns for customers during bank holiday weekends is pretty much the norm. Check out Irish Rail twitter from last weekend with customers desperate for basic information. It was made far worse due to engineering works with station signage for alternative transport modes non existent even at bigger stations. Irish Rail desperately need someone with a genuine customer focus in their management team.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭thomasj

Rashers72 wrote: »
    Your experience of complete communication breakdowns for customers during bank holiday weekends is pretty much the norm. Check out Irish Rail twitter from last weekend with customers desperate for basic information. It was made far worse due to engineering works with station signage for alternative transport modes non existent even at bigger stations. Irish Rail desperately need someone with a genuine customer focus in their management team.

Like I said before , it should be a basic requirement in the contract between the NTA and transport providers, that there needs to be someone Manning social media and online throughout the companies operating hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭FitzElla

thomasj wrote: »
    Like I said before , it should be a basic requirement in the contract between the NTA and transport providers, that there needs to be someone Manning social media and online throughout the companies operating hours.

Well if you want a good laugh have a read of the NTA Performance reports for Irish Rail. From the most recent (Q2 2017):-

LCD displays
    • Available in 88% of trains covered.
    • 100% of announcements deemed to be clear.
    • 96% of announcements deemed to be accurate.

PA Announcements
    • 100% perceived as being clear.
    • 100% perceived as being accurate.

So nearly every announcement and LCD display is accurate according to the NTA. No problem here, move on :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

More rush hour DARTs were cancelled this evening due to the mysterious 'operational problems'

At my station anyway nothing on the displays to advise of cancellation, no announcement at the station, nothing was on the app to indicate DART was cancelled, twitter appears to be the only medium this company will communicate cancellations and then it's still too much for them to communicate exactly why trains are being cancelled. They're pathetic

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

14 services cancelled this evening.

What a mess.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

14 services cancelled this evening.

What a mess.

Would love to see totals since new timetable commenced.

LEIN wrote: »
    Would love to see totals since new timetable commenced.

Around 50+ I suspect.

A complete mess over the BH weekend in terms of capacity planning.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is there anyone able to give a reason for all these cancellations? I thought they were training in new drivers to handle the increase in frequency?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

ixoy wrote: »
    Is there anyone able to give a reason for all these cancellations? I thought they were training in new drivers to handle the increase in frequency?

The trouble is drivers are not trained overnight and the issues with mentoring heavily delayed the training up of new members of the driving grade and that isn't fixed overnight as they don't just all magically start a few days later.

The simple fact is that there is no Irish Rail driver who is driving the train that operates those services that are on the timetable and obviously if that is the case then the train cannot operate.

devnull wrote: »
    The trouble is drivers are not trained overnight and the issues with mentoring heavily delayed the training up of new members of the driving grade and that isn't fixed overnight as they don't just all magically start a few days later.

The simple fact is that there is no Irish Rail driver who is driving the train that operates those services that are on the timetable and obviously if that is the case then the train cannot operate.

Will be surprised if all the cancellations are down to drivers.

They got all the trained drivers out so either they miss judged the number required or possible disruption around rosters, we know they were not happen about the new schedule.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,587 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Will be surprised if all the cancellations are down to drivers. They got all the trained drivers out so either they miss judged the number required or possible disruption around rosters, we know they were not happen about the new schedule.

The issue is not really about the total number of DART drivers, but obviously having more spare to cover for higher levels of staff who are not driving as regularly rostered for whatever reason, be it sickness, leave or other issues, would help.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

So is there any sort of idea when the drivers would be ready to go alone? I've no idea how long it takes or how far along they were before the disruption. I assume the mentoring is taking place without any hassle?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,771 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

It hasn't affected me personally but considering there's only a train to Greystones every 30 minutes and trains to Bray every 10, it's extra annoying that they are cancelling Greystones services to cover these issues. It leaves people waiting up to an hour for a train home.

The issue is not really about the total number of DART drivers, but obviously having more spare to cover for higher levels of staff who are not driving as regularly rostered for whatever reason, be it sickness, leave or other issues, would help.

Yeah I agree but I still wouldn't think all the cancellations are purely based on driver shortage.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

There are 3 issues at play for the daily cancellations - driver shortages, roster issues and an unusually high failure rate of late.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Its mainly drivers, when you see trains terminating/starting at Clontarf Rd as part of the plan thats rostering.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,987 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

GM228 wrote: »
    There are 3 issues at play for the daily cancellations - driver shortages, roster issues and an unusually high failure rate of late.

is it a specific unit type experiencing the high failure rate or is it a mix of types?

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

is it a specific unit type experiencing the high failure rate or is it a mix of types?

Mix.

Advertisement