Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Rail September Timetable Changes

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

GM228 wrote: »

No they don't, what gave you that idea? NIR lost their operational access right to Dun Laoghaire in late 1988 shortly after they began operating there (this was brought about by union interference), the 1989 (and later early 1990s) runs of NIR stock to Dun Laoghaire were worked by IE.

The first runs in 1988 were worked by CSD and Portadown drivers and Central guards who learned the road to Dun Laoghaire, after 1988 an NIR crewed train never worked south of Connolly again on a scheduled service. Currently NIR only have a CRR Operational Licence on IE as fat as Connolly and a restricted licence to Inchicore.

Why were NIR running to DL anyway?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,389 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

L1011 wrote: »

Mail boat I would imagine.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Mail boat I would imagine.

1988 was a bit late to start considering boat passengers had been dwindling due to the old IATA fare system beginning to fall apart for various reasons. It might still have been a weeks wages to fly to Heathrow if you needed to fly the next day but there were already special fares, supermarket promotions, flying from Waterford etc etc as options by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

L1011 wrote: »

To provide a connection for passengers to the boat for Holyhead, only the 17.00 ex Belfast did this run.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Keep in mind laws listed on Irishstatutebook.ie include ones that are repealed since. You'll find laws from the 1920s on there referring to flogging as a punishment (seriously). The laws criminalizing being gay are probably still up there.

The 1944 Act is still largely in force (some sections have been restricted, repealed or amended), in the case of the quoted section it is not applicable at all by virtue of subsequent changes to the GNRI as already outlined as opposed to being repealed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,669 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

XPS_Zero wrote: »
    Don't get too hung up on that. The taxpayer here is paying for roads to be built in Estonia and Cyprus under the EU Regional Development fund.

• Irish citizens use the Enterprise.

• It promotes mutual commerce in Dublin and Belfast that help the entire Island which is one economic unit (which is exactly why Brexit is such a big deal as a threat), because business people use it (they even have a special type of ticket they use it so frequently), shoppers from Belfast and Dublin use it, US tourists use it.

• There is an all Ireland free travel agreement in place which places no real distinction between a NI and ROI resident.
    It's exactly this kind of attitude that made the brits step off a cliff with Brexit, thinking they could save money by only looking at their direct contribution to the EU budget and saving it, without thinking of the knock on economic effects and synergies that make that contribution an investment not an expense, where they get way more back than they put in.
    The Enterprise is the same, we get way more out of it than we put in, it's a gem we'd be lost without.

Remember there has to be a DSP subsidy to pay NIR and IE a flat rate for the FT passengers on this service, hence why they have to fill out forms to keep an eye on the levels of usage.

Keep in mind laws listed on Irishstatutebook.ie include ones that are repealed since. You'll find laws from the 1920s on there referring to flogging as a punishment (seriously). The laws criminalizing being gay are probably still up there.

As for Brexit, please give it a rest, clearly another person who dons't respect the people's vote. There was one single motivation for people and nobody listened to the concern. Its regrettable the same is already slowly happening here. Before I opened this I knew you had quoted me.

Its a very unbalanced arrangement considering 70-80% of revenue goes to NIR because the majority use to going to/from NI. At a minimum it should be 50/50 subsidy from NI/ROI. At the same time NIR are not particularly bothered about improving infrastructure so will NTA pick up this cost as well?

70% of capacity is available to NIR.

We get far less out of it than we put in. Belfast needs a Dublin link, Dublin doesn't particularly need a Belfast link.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    As for Brexit, please give it a rest, clearly another person who dons't respect the people's vote. There was one single motivation for people and nobody listened to the concern. Its regrettable the same is already slowly happening here. Before I opened this I knew you had quoted me.

Its a very unbalanced arrangement considering 70-80% of revenue goes to NIR because the majority use to going to/from NI. At a minimum it should be 50/50 subsidy from NI/ROI. At the same time NIR are not particularly bothered about improving infrastructure so will NTA pick up this cost as well?

70% of capacity is available to NIR.

We get far less out of it than we put in. Belfast needs a Dublin link, Dublin doesn't particularly need a Belfast link.
    Sorry Jamie, I have to ask, what is the “one single motivation” you speak of?

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

Sorry Jamie, I have to ask, what is the “one single motivation” you speak of?

If I discuss it here I will get into trouble...meanwhile back to the timetable the amended Maynooth/Bray spends 8-12 minutes stopped in Connolly every morning to allow a delayed N Commuter and DART go ahead. Complete waste of time changing it. People on tbe 05.40 from Sligo arrived and boarded a DART before the service continued behind.

If I discuss it here I will get into trouble...meanwhile back to the timetable the amended Maynooth/Bray spends 8-12 minutes stopped in Connolly every morning to allow a delayed N Commuter and DART go ahead. Complete waste of time changing it. People on tbe 05.40 from Sligo arrived and boarded a DART before the service continued behind.

I see...

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭uxiant

Both DARTs I've used today have been 8 carriages. Good stuff.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

uxiant wrote: »
    Both DARTs I've used today have been 8 carriages. Good stuff.

What time were these at and from where? Once again Twitter showing people at Harmonstown and Killester unable to board at 0830. Once again short trains showing an inability by Irish Rail to plan if eight carriage trains exist.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 64 ✭✭Deviso

Darts are getting better. The 7:37 from Clongriffin is manageable again. No issues with people getting on further up the line.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Deviso wrote: »
    Darts are getting better. The 7:37 from Clongriffin is manageable again. No issues with people getting on further up the line.
    I can get on the 7:57 from Killester. That doesn't change the fact that I should be able to get on the 8:37 from Killester as I was able to before.

In the evenings - from about 18:00 anyway at Tara Street - they seem to be giving more carriages to the Howth trains than the Malahide ones, which I would think doesn't make sense as I thought the Malahide branch was busier, with commuter trains not stopping at Portmarnock. Not that much of their planning makes sense anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,775 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

punctuality has been pretty good the last 2 weeks except where there's been some specific incident like a bridge strike or ill passenger.

It's all desperately slow though - my evening train crawls along and stops for 5 minutes outside Bray every day but still arrives in Greystones on time. It's a great timetable if you enjoy sitting on stationary trains staring into peoples back gardens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

Southbound DARTs and Commuter services have been consistently bad since the new timetable, my DART is minimum 5 minutes late every morning, everyone I know is raging about it making complaints to IE and not receiving any acknowledgements

Appears leaf fall excuse season is really kicking in this morning, major go slows this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

They're going slow for a reason. A DART I was on Saturday before last overshot Raheny station, driver could not stop the train due the slipping on the leaves. Control would not allow him to back into the platform and we had to carry on. Train struggled into Harmonstown and Killester.

They're going slow for a reason. A DART I was on Saturday before last overshot Raheny station, driver could not stop the train due the slipping on the leaves. Control would not allow him to back into the platform and we had to carry on. Train struggled into Harmonstown and Killester.

Probally a newbie driving! Controller making life easier for himself by carrying on.

Its is and always has been overplayed. Delays 20-30 minutes to all Heuston services this morning due to poor rail contitions. Not a hope the lines are in such a state, signal or train failure anyone?

They now allegedly operate special signilling between Dundalk and Drogheda because of it yet its not bad enough to run the cleaning train over it once a week.

The majority of disruption today was not caues by poor conditions. Cold dry morning who are they trying to fool.

‘All Rail Conditions Are Adverse Rail Conditions’ State Irish Rail

http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/2018/10/22/all-rail-conditions-are-adverse-rail-conditions-state-irish-rail/

:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Just for clarity on two points there’s nothing wrong with this post.

If you report posts like this there’s a good chance I come here see nothing wrong with it and look back over the last few pages for some kind of spat that had people reporting satire.

When I’m doing this I will not remember your spat was already moderated and I sanction the posts in the spat that are worth infractions.

I’m sorry but I don’t go around remembering all of your spats.

Also note: ranting about moderating within reported posts is not allowed. It’s a complete and utter distraction from moderating.

Just to add: I’ve gotten into similar arguments with people in the recent past different places online and I’m sure I will again but the best thing I ever can do is sometimes to just forget about it and move on. If you can’t forget about it. Easy to say when not involved but it’s freeing when you go a bit too OTT and you can then stop and say it’s gone too far.

— moderatior

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Warning: Next reported post to be misused just to complain about moderation is liable to get sanctioned. I'm asking nicely: Please no not use the reported post function to complain about moderation, you can PM any moderator if you want to or bring it to the complaints system.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,592 ✭✭✭eigrod

More cancellations on DART line this evening due to 'operational reasons'. Clearly drivers are ringing in sick and they have no substitutes on standby. It's tempting to think the drivers are doing this as some sort of unofficial action against IR. It's absolutely appalling that the service has been allowed to deteriorate so much.

eigrod wrote: »
    More cancellations on DART line this evening due to 'operational reasons'. Clearly drivers are ringing in sick and they have no substitutes on standby. It's tempting to think the drivers are doing this as some sort of unofficial action against IR. It's absolutely appalling that the service has been allowed to deteriorate so much.

There was a SPAD yesterday which probably resulted in a driver taken down.
    I’d hazard a gues the services cancelled had something to do with this. No proof mind you, just a guess.

There has been 3-4 cancellations everyday this week.

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

I’d hazard a gues the services cancelled had something to do with this. No proof mind you, just a guess.

What's a SPAD?

LEIN wrote: »
    What's a SPAD?

Signal passed at danger (i.e. red signal).

• Moderators Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

Signal passed at danger (i.e. red signal).

Thank you. Everyday is a school day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Actually have to wonder if the driver overshot due to poor Rail Adhesion rather than passing it due to other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Travelling this afternoon (bank holiday) from Pearse to Clongriffin.

The timetable told me to board the northbound DART to Howth for 2 stops, get off at Connolly then board the 17:20 Drogheda service at platform 6.

I thought this was unusual, as I assumed non-peak diesel services no longer stopped at Clongriffin. I hung around at platform 6, (watched the message board cycle through all the stations with lifts out of order) before realising Drogheda wasn't on the board.

Spotted a diesel train on platform 4 so decided to run downstairs, under the tunnel, up to platform 4. The diesel train showed no information on the side. There are no message boards on platform 4 either - other than 1 which shows the final destination only. I walked down to the Information booth at the bottom of the platform, which of course was closed. I went out to the guy on the turnstiles and was told the Drogheda train doesn't stop at Clongriffin. I headed back in, before looking up at the overhead message boards in the foyer, which told me it in fact did go to Clongriffin. Directly above your man's head too.

So I sheepishly boarded, and here I am, on my way, with no driver's announcement, a broken on-board display, heading to Drogheda with absolutely no idea if I can get off at Clongriffin.

Take a bow Irish Rail.

Wish me luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Travelling this afternoon (bank holiday) from Pearse to Clongriffin.

The timetable told me to board the northbound DART to Howth for 2 stops, get off at Connolly then board the 17:20 Drogheda service at platform 6.

I thought this was unusual, as I assumed non-peak diesel services no longer stopped at Clongriffin. I hung around at platform 6, (watched the message board cycle through all the stations with lifts out of order) before realising Drogheda wasn't on the board.

Spotted a diesel train on platform 4 so decided to run downstairs, under the tunnel, up to platform 4. The diesel train showed no information on the side. There are no message boards on platform 4 either - other than 1 which shows the final destination only. I walked down to the Information booth at the bottom of the platform, which of course was closed. I went out to the guy on the turnstiles and was told the Drogheda train doesn't stop at Clongriffin. I headed back in, before looking up at the overhead message boards in the foyer, which told me it in fact did go to Clongriffin. Directly above your man's head too.

So I sheepishly boarded, and here I am, on my way, with no driver's announcement, a broken on-board display, heading to Drogheda with absolutely no idea if I can get off at Clongriffin.

Take a bow Irish Rail.

Wish me luck!

Did you make it??

Advertisement