Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The rise of fascism in the 21st Century

Options

Comments

• Facism :pac: Jesus OP you’re reading too many scare pieces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭hill16bhoy

mammajamma wrote: »
    Yes, they are all part of a pyramid scheme. They displace local workers, use housing, use healthcare, use all facilities. They don't exist for a job in isolation. There is more than a fair chance they will stay here, grow old here, send children into schools here, require pensions and sustenance here. Never mind the social effects.

A strong argument would be bringing in foreign workers to train local workers where there is a GENUINE lack of skills. It should be timestamped and when the worker has been trained, there is no need for the foreign worker. But of course, that would be far too sensible, and never happens. You either have a country that works for ITS people, or not.

Side point, what good is a huge international company that pays fractional tax, employs 40 to 70% plus non-irish people, and can be gone in the blink of an eye...exactly how great is tying ourselves to that kind of setup? Its not, is the answer.

Sustainability is the name of the game, and if an industry cannot survive in a country without gigantic outside reliance, then it is quite simply a bad idea in the first place

Generally speaking, a pyramid scheme. And don't forget, we have plenty and plenty of irish people qualifying as nurses doctors etc....where have they gone? To get higher wages elsewhere because the pay here isn't good enough? Would that be related to the fact that imported health workers are paid less? Are they connected?

Do the irish people educated here on the back of irish people paying tax going to cause the same problem for another countries indigenous population of healthworkers?

Its a big old swindle, the whole shebang. Observed reality, as I said earlier, hence the growing anger everywhere.
    Which Irish workers have been displaced by those at Google and Facebook?

Google, Facebook and all the other multi-national corporations feed a large number of ancillary businesses and jobs.

Ireland derives much of its tax take from multi-national corporations. Now it's perfectly fair to argue that those multi-corporations should pay more tax, which I would argue.

However, they do still provide a hefty whack of tax receipts to the exchequer, which help to pay the wages of healthcare workers.

Under your plan, the state would be denied these tax revenues altogether.

Ireland can't build a wall to stop its healthcare professionals leaving. If they want to go elsewhere to get higher wages, that's their choice and good luck to them. To entice them to stay at home on such grounds would require an explosion in the health budget. Money does not grow on trees, as you appear to think.

If you think things are bad now, you won't have seen nothin' yet if you get your way with your laughably simplistic economic ideas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

Facism :pac: Jesus OP you’re reading too many scare pieces.

I think the OP is halfway through this.

hitlerbook.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

So real question again, why is all this happening?

Manipulation of social and other media to divide the population.

It's increasingly well documented. E.g. https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanhatesthis/brazil-jair-bolsonaro-facebook-elections

• I think the OP is halfway through this.

hitlerbook.JPG

All makes sense now

• Advertisement

BOLLOCKS

Tip: try and debate on facts, not your feelings, which appear to be hurt, for some reason.

You know the funny thing about conspiracy theorists? They think believing something makes it so.

Proof is all I seek. Nay, nay, not so much. Evidence. Anything other than someone simply stating that travelers are a race or separate ethnicity.

'Jewish people “basically live in the White House”'

Is this an anti-semitic comment? Is it the location that makes it bigoted? I don't think the White House has particularly negative connotations.

Anyway, this tweet wasn't made during the presidential election, and didn't feature during the presidential election. This is the first I've seen of it, and I'd say that'd be true for, well, anybody not desperately searching for something to show how terrible Casey is. I don't agree with it, but I don't really much to it beyond that.

Look, you've got to up your insult game. This is garbage. I don't even know what you're referring to - are you saying that my opinions are.. that of Casey? Or that I'm easily swayed by online opinion? You'd have been better off editing it out.

It's ironic you mention conspiracy theorists since you appear to have the reasoning and rationale of one.

hill16bhoy wrote: »
    Tip: try and debate on facts, not your feelings, which appear to be hurt, for some reason.

What facts?
    Here is the opening post of the thread again.
    With such a silly opening post it is a bit unfair to pick on any of the replies.:confused:

Try_harder wrote: »

Following the election of a far right leader in Brazil, and Trump and Farage's behaviour, even boards displays it, is fascism on the rise, I say so.

What facts?

The facts that i) Travellers are an ethnic group and that ii) what Peter Casey says was, according to the UN definition of racism, racist.

I like facts and tend to agree with them.

I did rather think that typing "BOLLOCKS" in oversized, bolded capital letters was an actual and obvious attempt at a shout down, by the way.

There you go, Casey supporters, shouting others down.

Tut tut.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

Travellers are an ethnic group.

Peter Casey's comments about Travellers clearly fall under the UN's definition of racism.

I've spelled out it out for you above in black and white. Whether you choose to acknowledge that is your own choice.

Here is documentation of Casey's anti-semitic comments.

https://www.businesspost.ie/news/casey-embroiled-anti-semitic-row-old-interview-resurfaces-426837

https://twitter.com/colettebrowne/status/1046389236600098816?lang=en

If you're not capable of forming your own opinions, as you seem to be admitting, it isn't my problem.

If someone admits to being jealous of/admiring the success of a defined ethnic group, and aspires to achieve the same, how in god's name is that racist or anti semitic....that is bonkers...bonkers!

Did the Jewish council contact Collette Brown or did Collette Brown contact the Jewish council do you think?

• Advertisement

The facts that i) Travellers are an ethnic group and that ii) what Peter Casey says was, according to the UN definition of racism, racist.

I did rather think that typing "BOLLOCKS" in oversized, bolded capital letters was an actual and obvious attempt at a shout down, by the way.

Tut tut.

I am not shouting you down I am going to bed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭mammajamma

Which Irish workers have been displaced by those at Google and Facebook?

Google, Facebook and all the other multi-national corporations feed a large number of ancillary businesses and jobs.

Ireland derives much of its tax take from multi-national corporations. Now it's perfectly fair to argue that those multi-corporations should pay more tax, which I would argue.

However, they do still provide a hefty whack of tax receipts to the exchequer, which help to pay the wages of healthcare workers.

Under your plan, the state would be denied these tax revenues altogether.

Ireland can't build a wall to stop its healthcare professionals leaving. If they want to go elsewhere to get higher wages, that's their choice and good luck to them. To entice them to stay at home on such grounds would require an explosion in the health budget. Money does not grow on trees, as you appear to think.

If you think things are bad now, you won't have seen nothin' yet if you get your way with your laughably simplistic economic ideas.

Its a pyramid scheme. If it doesn't work, it shouldn't be here and we should be doing something else. A fundamental observation. And trying to state that "something is better than nothing in the short term" wont win anyone over anymore.

And don't forget, im not here to provide some magical solution (as if thats a great reason to dismiss everything out of hand), its to simply point out the sheer inadequacies of the current band-aid solutions to economic "empowerment"

Again, observed reality is the instigator for this backlash.

As for "laughably simplistic economic ideas", what are you expecting, a full 500 page policy? Or is it just a quick way to bail out of the obvious?

You start at the start of a problem, the basics. Then you work up. People who like to get involved at the dithering end of stuff have a tendency to talk and walk in circles. If you cant work from first principles, you aren't worth a jot in your profession.

Heres the basic: international mega corporations that pay fractional tax while hiring vast majority non-indigenous people are a bad foundational economic pillar for a country. Simple as that.

If someone admits to being jealous of/admiring the success of a defined ethnic group, and aspires to achieve the same, how in god's name is that racist or anti semitic....that is bonkers...bonkers!

Did the Jewish council contact Collette Brown or did Collette Brown contact the Jewish council do you think?
    What Casey said was a variation on a theme of the shrieking loonies shouting "George Soros" and their "globalist" dog whistles.

Saying "Jews live in the White House" is an obvious anti-semitic comment.

Its a pyramid scheme. If it doesn't work, it shouldn't be here and we should be doing something else. A fundamental observation. And trying to state that "something is better than nothing in the short term" wont win anyone over anymore.

And don't forget, im not here to provide some magical solution (as if thats a great reason to dismiss everything out of hand), its to simply point out the sheer inadequacies of the current band-aid solutions to economic "empowerment"

Again, observed reality is the instigator for this backlash.

As for "laughably simplistic economic ideas", what are you expecting, a full 500 page policy? Or is it just a quick way to bail out of the obvious?

You start at the start of a problem, the basics. Then you work up. People who like to get involved at the dithering end of stuff have a tendency to talk and walk in circles. If you cant work from first principles, you aren't worth a jot in your profession.

Heres the basic: international mega corporations that pay fractional tax while hiring vast majority non-indigenous people are a bad foundational economic pillar for a country. Simple as that.

You're certainly not providing any magical solution, but you sure are proposing the opposite of a magical solution, which, I guess, is a magical economic disaster.

I have news for you - in economic crashes, one of which we experienced not long ago, Irish people leave Ireland in their droves.

You've shoehorned some nice meaningless phrases like "the basics" and "first principles" in there though, so well done on that.

What Casey said was a variation on a theme of the shrieking loonies shouting "George Soros" and their "globalist" dog whistles.

Saying "Jews live in the White House" is an obvious anti-semitic comment.

It isn't anti semitic, if someone in Scotland decided that Irish people get way more influence in the White House than the Scots, that wouldn't make him racist....come on this not that hard!! Of course, the media could whip up a media storm out of it and the morons would swallow it hook line and sinker!

I admire the Jews because they dominate numerous lucrative industries...is that anti semitic?

Goodshape wrote: »
    Manipulation of social and other media to divide the population.

It's increasingly well documented. E.g. https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanhatesthis/brazil-jair-bolsonaro-facebook-elections

Sorry, I don't buy that wholesale. The very idea relies on the supposition that people are pig-ignorant and stupid. They don't like that, believe it or not.

And division is inherently, inseparably part of "diversity", NOT a known mantra of the supposed fascists.

Further, that would mean that people who were perfectly content, have been lulled by the big bad "manipulators" into hateful caricatures. Would you say main stream media is really THAT far-right leaning?! ;)

No, there are ACTUAL reasons that cant be dismissed out of hand by blaming the boogeyman. Lets state the most basic of basic: people aren't happy.

Even if you tried to defend the manipulator angle, then youd still need to acknowledge that said manipulation is on both sides.

This whole dismissive hand-wringing is just turning more and more people against the status quo of today (or should that be yesterday?). There seems to be no desire, perhaps even fear, to recognise the WHY's behind it all.

It isn't anti semitic

Look, mate, you're just wrong on this. It's a textbook anti-semitic comment.

But I suppose you're probably one of these people who thinks that saying Jews are good with money is praise rather than anti-semitism.

It isn't anti semitic, if someone in Scotland decided that Irish people get way more influence in the White House than the Scots, that wouldn't make him racist....come on this not that hard!! Of course, the media could whip up a media storm out of it and the morons would swallow it hook line and sinker!

I admire the Jews because they dominate numerous lucrative industries...is that anti semitic?

Jewish people having undue influence in business and politics is a well known anti-Semitic trope and Peter Casey isn't living in a vacuum.

It's an anti-Semitic comment.

Look, mate, you're just wrong on this. It's a textbook anti-semitic comment.

But I suppose you're probably one of these people who thinks that saying Jews are good with money is praise rather than anti-semitism.

Good f##king jesus.

There are many parts of many different nations and races that I find fascinating and am intrigued by, and yes, there are a lot of different aspects of Jewish Culture and history that I really admire.

Who knew that made me a racist and an anti semite.

You need to relax on the koolaid mate!

• hill16bhoy wrote: »

Tut tut.

The UN defines racism in part as an unfair attitude towards an ethnic group, however I find that nothing said has been unfair & has been entirely based on real life interaction with said group. So you, sir, are full of shít.

• Advertisement

You're certainly not providing any magical solution, but you sure are proposing the opposite of a magical solution, which, I guess, is a magical economic disaster.

I have news for you - in economic crashes, one of which we experienced not long ago, Irish people leave Ireland in their droves.

You've shoehorned some nice meaningless phrases like "the basics" and "first principles" in there though, so well done on that.

So you don't know what first principles means eh? It means a fundamental understanding of a system. Example: I can tell you WHY a machine outputs a certain number, whereas you can only READ a number. One person is a lot more useful than the other.There you go.

Where is this thing I have proposed that will equal an economic disaster?
    I haven't made any replacement suggestions, but you're so fixated on my logical attack on the current system, you're literally dreaming up situations I haven't mentioned!

That's fear of the unknown. Someone preferring to 100% walk off a cliff, as opposed to even questioning a deviation from the plan. Its like that bit from that batman film, something like "no matter how crazy it is, if its a plan, people will go along with it".

Mad stuff :)

Good f##king jesus.

There are many parts of many different nations and races that I find fascinating and am intrigued by, and yes, there are a lot of different aspects of Jewish Culture and history that I really admire.

Who knew that made me a racist and an anti semite.
    Not me - you're just making stuff up now.

It was your denial that Casey's obviously anti-semitic comment was anti-semitic that made me suspect you had a problem understanding what anti-semitism is.

Innocent ignorance on this subject can be forgiven, but ignorant digging in is not a good look.

The UN defines racism in part as an unfair attitude towards an ethnic group, however, I find that nothing said has been unfair & has been entirely based on real-life interaction with said group. So you, sir, are PRONE TO MISLEADING STATMENTS

Suggested edit if you want to avoid a ban.
    Attack the silly posts, not the posters just some friendly advice.
    Let us all try and keep posts civilised.

And now I really am off to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

Very few people give a fuk about travellers and rightly so. Peter Casey is a hero saying what 90% of the country thinks. Most travellers are con artists and thieves. They live happily on the fringes of society and refuse to integrate. Fuk them.

So you don't know what first principles means eh? It means a fundamental understanding of a system.
    A system which you have proved you haven't the faintest understanding of.

We can stop there.

PapaOscar wrote: »
    Very few people give a fuk about travellers and rightly so. Peter Casey is a hero saying what 90% of the country thinks. Most travellers are con artists and thieves. They live happily on the fringes of society and refuse to integrate. Fuk them.

Agree with your post but the bits in bold why?

• hill16bhoy wrote: »
    A system which you have proved you haven't the faintest understanding of.

We can stop there.

are you talking about people lacking understanding while misquoting the UNs definition of racism to suit you’re own agenda?

Pot.. kettle...

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭PapaOscar

Agree with your post but the bits in bold why?

Because its quicker than *. And you get my point.

Sorry im new around here :D

Sorry, I don't buy that wholesale. The very idea relies on the supposition that people are pig-ignorant and stupid. They don't like that, believe it or not.

It has nothing much to do with being stupid. Group thinking
    and mob mentality just has a way of snowballing, and the methods used to manipulate opinion are highly sophisticated.

No, there are ACTUAL reasons that cant be dismissed out of hand by blaming the boogeyman. Lets state the most basic of basic: people aren't happy.

Yes, people are unhappy. There's corruption in politics and business. The rich are unthinkably rich while the rest of us stagnate. And for that we're blaming... The poor and the even less well off?
    Even if you tried to defend the manipulator angle, then youd still need to acknowledge that said manipulation is on both sides.

The existence of "sides" as you put it is the fiction I'm referring to. We're fighting amongst ourselves for some scraps from the masters table.

• Advertisement

• Agree with your post but the bits in bold why?

Thought you were going to bed?

:pac:

Advertisement