Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Prime Time Presidential Debate Tues 23.10.18

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I'd give him a vote but I wouldn't buy a car from him!

I will vote for him.
    And I would buy a car from him.... Yeah if he threw in a free tow-bar and trailer , :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

If Michael D wins, I really hope they blast 'Jet' by Wings over the speakers while he's walking up to the podium to deliver his victory speech.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Why can't he, he's done it many times already in this tread?

because it opens up boards to being sued

• Registered Users Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Wonder tomorrow will Matt and Ivan play good cop/bad cop with tomorrows debate?

If people thought tonight was bad, they'll burst a blood vessel tomorrow. Cooper can't hide his contempt for Casey, and there's mutual dislike between he and SF.

And Yates will be there stirring the pot.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

Try_harder wrote: »
    Government makes decisions. Civil Service enacts them.

So you think the Ministers just say we are doing this or that with no advice from the civil servants below them?

Regardless of what way it works or doesn't work, the top advisors to the government and those in secondary positions are still getting well paid for what they do - if a policy goes wrong the minister takes the public out cry where as the advisors get away with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

This:

Please be precise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭sheroman01

Jesus Joan Freeman is horrifically negative and whingy.
    The three "dragons" have been anything but buddies tonight and there positioning was as a result of a draw.

Imagine having to listen to her for seven years...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

The final result of the election will be very interesting. I think there will be a lot of people that will vote for Casey who would have otherwise voted for MDH "by default". I think MDH will be reelected, and comfortably, but probably not by the massive margin the earlier polls predicted.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    So you think the Ministers just say we are doing this or that with no advice from the civil servants below them?

Regardless of what way it works or doesn't work, the top advisors to the government and those in secondary positions are still getting well paid for what they do - if a policy goes wrong the minister takes the public out cry where as the advisors get away with it.

Whether they take advice or not, ultimately the government make the decision

riemann wrote: »
    Please be precise.

Would you like me to draw you a picture?

• Advertisement

So you think a person who pretends to be in a relationship with their so called partner for 50 years, all the while actually in a relationship with someone else, is worthy of the title head of state?

Spineless.

The hilarious part is that you're posting as if it's a proven fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,306 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Would you like me to draw you a picture?
    I honestly don't even think that would work.
    Posting up rubbish like that Is bloody disgraceful.

Christ its tomorrow! Time for sleep

Some of us have to get up early!

Christ its tomorrow! Time for sleep

No it's today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

Hurrache wrote: »
    The hilarious part is that you're posting as if it's a proven fact.

Posting what? About who?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,860 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think Michael D will win it but not by as much as people expected. Peter Casey has become a very serious contender after tonight.
    The biggest lesson the public learned tonight is that our national broadcaster does not want people speaking their own minds and upsetting the politically correct mindset they want to advertise as our national way.
    If you want to say what you think they will try to put you down. Major fail by RTE tonight.

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I think it's his strength.

We've had enough of coached, experts of spin that talk lots to get themselves in the news but say little and commit to even less.

Casey the winner tonight. As I said earlier, the 2 ladies were desperate to seem relevant, the 2 lads were spoofers and MDH should probably have stayed home this time as well.

Funny I’ve gone off Casey after tonight , he peaked a week too soon .
    He’s got nothing of substance ( none of them do ), he lacks polish and isn’t able to string together a sentence coherently. On the world stage he wouldn’t look good .

Michael D for me .

irishchris wrote: »
    Another tedious reply to a fellow poster or was there some logic in this post?

Did you read his post? If so you'll see it's obvious they paid no attention to about the first 15 minutes of the debate.

No it's today

Now that Ive established its Wednesday- it is today

• Advertisement

Why are my posts not in chronological order???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Advisors advise. Ministers decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Right, you cannot post things like that without proof! Where's your proof?

Your not a mod so stop telling people what they can and can’t post.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Dayo93

FFS!!! he is the President of this country. I’d be angry too. He has proved himself over the last 7years , UNLIKE any of the others especially Gallagher . I think the President should have a Lear Jet , why not ? Theresa May has one , Leo Vararker uses it all the time !

How has he proved himself ??

fin12 wrote: »
    Your not a mod so stop telling people what they can and cant post.

Have you not just done likewise???

• Registered Users Posts: 28,676 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

So you think a person who pretends to be in a relationship with their so called partner for 50 years, all the while actually in a relationship with someone else, is worthy of the title head of state?
    It wasn't a problem for Mitterand, who had both his wife and his mistress in the front row at his funeral.

Advisors advise. Ministers decide.

My point at the time was that they are all getting well paid, where as the OP said they weren't.

But on your point, Ministers decide based on the advice they are given. They don't go and try to understand complex matters in detail themselves - they trust what they are told.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

Have you not just done likewise???

When did I tell someone not to post something????

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Excited93

So here’s what I learned from the debate tonight after not paying much attention apart from the odd article about it here and there and as a young voter in Ireland:
    Peter Casey- his wife wears the trousers and he’s trying to identify with the general joe soap in the country and their opinion in Trump style.
    Sean Gallagher- has had 7years to practice his answers and spins them for his own agenda while answering like he’s in a miss America contest.
    Liadh Ni Riada-“don’t you know who my daddy is? I speak Irish. Let’s put everyone else down to make me look good”. Load of bull comes out of her mouth every time she speaks if you ask me.
    Gavin Duffy- “I can deliver” it’s like he’s pitching the country as a business but in fairness seems to know his stuff. PR spin or not? Not sure
    Joan Freeman- hate to say this because she seems so nice but she’s not capable and in my honest opinion a true social worker at heart. Not a president. In over her head here.
    And finally Michael D Higgins- as much as this pains me to say because I respect the man and think he’s very intelligent and has represented the country well I don’t think heath wise he seems up for the task. Call me ageist but I am not in the slightest but seeing how he got so worked up and shook on tonight’s debate and how pale he got I don’t think his health is up to seven more years of constant public duty. He’s served his country for decades and mustn’t know when to call it a day. He said it before that he’s only going to serve one term but like most men who’s passionate about their post he doesn’t know when to stop.
    So who to vote for. Best of a bad lot it seems

• Advertisement

fin12 wrote: »
    When did I tell someone not to post something????

Stoop telling people...

Advertisement