Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Robinson wants us all to become vegan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Get the catlicks to stop burning condoms in Africa,do wonders for the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Good old Noddy Robinson wants everyone in the country to become a vegan for the sake of "climate justice".

I wonder will she stop traveling around on private jets to cut down her carbon footprint ? somehow I don't think so.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/robinson-again-calls-for-move-to-vegan-37441801.html

The last time I called her noddy on here I was pulled up by the boards police. She’s spouting that nonsense with years while she tucks into her prime beef cut. Noddy needs to do some research before she blows her mouth, there’s not enough tillage land in the world for everyone to go vegan and growing plants also leaves a carbon footprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭terryduff12

Oh Mary, whats she doing with all the money she`s made after selling her house`s five hundredth thousand for her family home in ballina to be turned into a shrine for her. Another house she sold for around a million in the country side. Times being good to mary.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What I think is worth saying, in all seriousness, is that the childish character-assassination here does nothing at all to help the debate. Very few good logical ripostes on show, but quite a bit of petty mud-slinging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

What I think is worth saying, in all seriousness, is that the childish character-assassination here does nothing at all to help the debate. Very few good logical ripostes on show, but quite a bit of petty mud-slinging.

Seemingly though, that's how politics is done these days, and it's leaking into society at large.

Don't attack the post, attack the poster. :(

• Advertisement

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm not a vegan but she's right. Saying that we should eat less meat products is simply what loads of climate scientists have said. The world is changing and we're going to change with it. It's not the first time this has happened either. Human diets have always changed because of economic reasons, they'll change again because of other reasons. We certainly don't have the same diets we did 100 years ago.

Animal farming is a huge contribute to greenhouse gasses. In addition we're getting to the point where we need to get more food globally. You will see a shift to non meet products in a lot of countries.

Globally our diets will change because they have to.

Methane disperses in the air unlike other pollutants.

gozunda wrote: »
    She's a media geisha with a mouth like the Mersey tunnel

Transport and Fossil fuels are the two biggest global contributors to greenhouse gas emissions.

You (not a vegan) going to give up your car / use of fossil fuels first No?

Exactly, when they were comparing animal emissions to transport they conveniently only tested exhaust emissions leaving out all other pollutants that transport causes.

Dakota Dan wrote: »
    Methane disperses in the air unlike other pollutants.

:confused:

So does CO2....

Do you think disperse means 'magically disappear'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

I agree to an extent. However people like Robinson need to be realistic and a bit more self aware.

Animal agriculture is not going anywhere soon and proposing measures to prevent its unsustainable expansion, including measures for less meat in diets rather than none at all, is a logical and feasible first step to controlling its significant contribution to climate change.

The many people who depend on animal agriculture for a living can understandably feel aggrieved at some one percenter preaching from their private jet about the moral imperative of destroying their livelihood.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

The last time I called her noddy on here I was pulled up by the boards police.

It's not a medical condition is it? I thought it was just some daft affectation.

Anyway - did she talk through this grand plan in full? Do we simply release the national herd into some vast conifer plantation in Leitrim and let them fend for themselves. Because PETA might not like that option either. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,534 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

Threads started by OP in recent times:
    • An Easy solution to the Irish Border problem (OP wants to tell the EU to f**k off)
    • Peter Casey tells it like it is (OP delights in Peter Casey's traveller bashing)
    • Is this the cause of Feminism ? (didn't even open this one)
    • Christian bakers who refused to make gay wedding cake win Supreme Court appeal (OP delights in Christian baker's court win)
    • We need to go back to landfill (OP thinks recycling is scam)
    • Anti-immigrant party wins 20% in Sweden vote - exit poll (OP crows about the swedish election result)
    • Nigel Farage back in politics to challenge Theresa May's Brexit (OP welcomes back Farage)
    • Pedophiles Believe They Should Be A Part Of The LGBT Community (didn't bother opening this one either)

And that was only Page 1

It's probably bad for your health to be so perpetually outraged all of the time OP

Threads started by OP in recent times:

And that was only Page 1

It's probably bad for your health to be so perpetually outraged all of the time OP

How dare you speak up in here? You yourself are probably responsible for as much methane as the dairy industry in Ireland

:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

kneemos wrote: »
    Get the catlicks to stop burning condoms in Africa,do wonders for the environment.

Africa isn’t 100% Catholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭Dr Brown

I will be thinking of Noddy this evening when I'm tucking into my Fillet Steak :pac:

wexie wrote: »
    :confused:

So does CO2....

Do you think disperse means 'magically disappear'?

Methane is flushed in 12 years. Carbon, on the other hand: (from wiki)

Between 65% and 80% of CO2 released into the air dissolves into the ocean over a period of 20–200 years. The rest is taken away by slower processes that take as much as several hundreds of many thousands of years, including chemical weathering and rock formation.

Methane is flushed in 12 years. Carbon, on the other hand: (from wiki)

Between 65% and 80% of CO2 released into the air dissolves into the ocean over a period of 20–200 years. The rest is taken away by slower processes that take as much as several hundreds of many thousands of years, including chemical weathering and rock formation.

Yeah I know it does, but that doesn't mean we don't need to be conscious of emissions (not that I'm jumping on the vegan bandwagon), it's still 12 years where it's not doing any good.

But yes you're right in saying it's not as harmful as CO2.

There's much bigger fish to fry than methane emissions (shipping anyone?) but let's not pretend methane is harmless.

Yeah I know it does, but that doesn't mean we don't need to be conscious of emissions (not that I'm jumping on the vegan bandwagon), it's still 12 years where it's not doing any good.

But yes you're right in saying it's not as harmful as CO2.

There's much bigger fish to fry than methane emissions (shipping anyone?) but let's not pretend methane is harmless.

You know it does yet a few posts back you didn’t know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Patww79 wrote: »
    Anyone wanting me to become vegan can lick the back end of my ballbag, and anyone wanting me to do it for bloody climate change can go and play in traffic afterwards.

Well ultimately I think it will take governmental action such as introducing taxes with capture the negative externalities of meat consumption and incentivising alternatives. Your plan seems like a logistical headache with no clear benefits.

You know it does yet a few posts back you didn’t know.

No I was pointing out that 'disperse' doesn't mean disappear.

If you drop a bottle of green food colouring in a bottle of milk it will disperse in the milk, what colour does the milk go? Is the food colouring now gone?

But sure, if you want to feel that you're right pat yourself on the back by all means.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 815 ✭✭✭animaal

A family of 8 living a very simple subsistence life somewhere in Africa/Asia still consume and pollute and awful lot less than a family of 4 anywhere in the west, regardless of how hard said family of 4 is trying to reduce, reuse and recycle.

That's a point. And to be fair, you may even be conservative in the numbers you present.

However, climate change and population growth are both issues with long-term consequences. They haven't had any great impact yet, relatively speaking. The worst, by far, is in the medium- and long-term future.

Let's follow the figures. Assume the figures hold for a number of generations. The Irish family of 4 consists of two children, who themselves each have two children... etc. At the risk of embarrassing myself with bad maths, after 4 generations, that generation consists of 16 people.

The African/Asian family of 8 consists of six children. After 4 generations, that generation consists of 1296 people.

Then we consider what happens to that generation. The Irish family may stay in Ireland or migrate, not a lot of difference to their impact on the world. If some of the African/Asian family migrate to richer countries,it makes a big difference to that family's impact on the world as they consume more.

The economic health of the African country is unlikely to decrease much , starting from a low base. But it may increase and that is desirable. If it does, this also increases the impact on the world as they consume more.

All of the world needs to control its population, not just Africa/Asia. Some countries (Western and Asian) are already doing that unintentionally because of economic pressures. The challenge facing Western countries is that our entire economies are built on the assumption that there will be ever-lasting growth.

• Advertisement

No I was pointing out that 'disperse' doesn't mean disappear.

If you drop a bottle of green food colouring in a bottle of milk it will disperse in the milk, what colour does the milk go? Is the food colouring now gone?

But sure, if you want to feel that you're right pat yourself on the back by all means.
    I never said it meant disappear but if you do some research you’ll see that methane actually does disappear from the atmosphere after 12 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭megaten

Dr Brown wrote: »
    I will be thinking of Noddy this evening when I'm tucking into my Fillet Steak :pac:

That's kind of bizarre.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Where did her nickname come out of?

Is it that she resembles the Toytown character or is it becomes she nods her head excessively?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

gozunda wrote: »
    Hey eathrin - no not only myself others got there before me about your preachyness ... ;)

And yet you still preach!

I appreciate that you try to get people like me to shut up by using words like that! It's pretty cowardly. You can't address the substance of the argument so you try to bully.

If advocating for justice is preachy then so be it, but I know exactly what you're doing.

Hmmmm those great vegan staples such as almonds soya avocado quinoa lentils etc etc being mass produced with huge environmental impacts increasingly imported to cater for trendy vegan lifestyles :rolleyes: How much of that food is produced locally or ethically or with proper environmental standards? And you want more people to adopt this type of diet - really?

Yeah you don't need to eat any of the above you know? That said, if you put any objective research into the area, you'd find that animal products are the far less ethical and far more environmentally damaging foodstuffs. Most soy is grown for animal feed for Christ sake...

Thankfully most people get that veganism is nothing but a con, which assumes economic security
    Vegan diets are far cheaper.
    ready access to cheap imported  foodstuffs and the leisure to construct an 'identity'.

I don't mind if veganism is part of my identity. Everybody holds beliefs that are part of their identity. What's your point?
    At the end of the day it's more about how vegans see themselves as better than everyone else and and  nothing about animals or even  other humans. As for jumping on the fad bandwagon. No thanks.

The point of veganism is that you don't see yourself as better than anyone else. Vegans aren't the ones who take lives for a moment's sensory pleasure. I don't feel entitled to be damaging the earth needlessly so I do everything I can not to.

Whatever your idea is about my life, i can assure you, apart from not exploiting animals I live a very normal life. Veganism can be for anyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

we are a tiny country when you look at the globe compared to asia and USA we are like an aran island our contribution would not even register and i am a vegetarian. Look at china they need to make an impact they have huge populations and are burning coal like nobodys biz. the eu is fining us every day if we stopped altogether no on e would notice......

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Eathrin wrote: »
    Boards.ie users sure do get upset at the notion of not abusing animals!

I mean, she just said this:
    I said we all have to do more. We have to be more energy-efficient, we have to recycle, we must think about what we eat, we need to eat less meat, maybe become vegetarian or even vegan.

Not exactly controversial or incendiary comment. Fairly bland tbh. And the most thanked post was this:
    paw patrol wrote: »
    she had one trick .
    that was beating princess diana in a race to Somalia for the cameras
    that was it.

fcuk off you pompous overbearing media whore
    I mean, who the fúck cares what MR says? People need to step away from the keyboard sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

we are a tiny country when you look at the globe compared to asia and USA we are like an aran island our contribution would not even register and i am a vegetarian. Look at china they need to make an impact they have huge populations and are burning coal like nobodys biz. the eu is fining us every day if we stopped altogether no on e would notice......

It's true yeah but you have to get your own house in order before you start telling others what to do right? Ireland still makes a sizeable contribution to global emmisions per capita.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

paw patrol wrote: »
    she had one trick .
    that was beating princess diana in a race to Somalia for the cameras
    that was it.

fcuk off you pompous overbearing media whore
    Mod note:paw patrol, don't post in this thread again,

Buford T. Justice

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Its perfectly reasonable to ecnourage something that would do so much good for the world
    Im not vegetarian but I think anyone who thinks shes pompous or just saying it for credit just feel guilty they are partaking in the demise of the planet and arent willing to even think about changing their lifestyle or inconveniencing themselves

• Advertisement

Eathrin wrote: »
    I appreciate that you try to get people like me to shut up by using words like that! It's pretty cowardly. You can't address the substance of the argument so you try to bully.

If advocating for justice is preachy then so be it, but I know exactly what you're doing.

Yeah you don't need to eat any of the above you know? That said, if you put any objective research into the area, you'd find that animal products are the far less ethical and far more environmentally damaging foodstuffs. Most soy is grown for animal feed for Christs sake.

Not in Ireland. You know what cattle eat here? Grass. Even in winter. There is some animal feed but proportionality less than the US.

If you are importing soy it’s a cost to the environment.

Advertisement