Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Robinson wants us all to become vegan

Options
  • 21-10-2018 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭

Good old Noddy Robinson wants everyone in the country to become a vegan for the sake of "climate justice".

I wonder will she stop traveling around on private jets to cut down her carbon footprint ? somehow I don't think so.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/robinson-again-calls-for-move-to-vegan-37441801.html
    Former president Mary Robinson is standing firm on her call for people to go vegan to tackle climate change, despite a backlash which saw her local council ask her to withdraw the comments.
    The long-standing campaigner, who runs a climate justice foundation in her name, said she spoke "from the heart" when she made the remarks two years ago and stands by her call for people to consume less.
    The former UN High Commissioner for Human Rights told the audience at the One Young World summit in The Hague yesterday that her comments made at the same summit in Ottawa two years ago prompted a formal letter from her local council in her native Co Mayo.
    Mrs Robinson faced criticism from some in Ireland's farming community following her comments in 2016. She said: "I said we all have to do more. We have to be more energy-efficient, we have to recycle, we must think about what we eat, we need to eat less meat, maybe become vegetarian or even vegan.
    "And the point is we do have to take a stand and we do have to make our voices heard and if people take action themselves, they are much more likely to use their vote and their power to change what government policies are doing.
    "Individual action alone won't get us there even if we try our hardest; we need government policies."
    She told this year's summit, attended by more than 1,900 young leaders from 196 countries: "Achieving climate justice, I believe, is the space race for your generation."

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Tell noddy to fcuk off back to toytown, and bring big ears with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭orourkeda1977

Noddy Robinson can f*ck off

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭mikeym

Ill just eat the grass out the front garden so?

More taxes on the poor will sort out the environment.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭paw patrol

she had one trick .
    that was beating princess diana in a race to Somalia for the cameras
    that was it.

fcuk off you pompous overbearing media whore

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

So we all do more and then what? Do the factories stop polluting? Do the rich stop buys their jets? Cars? Untold amount of houses that use energy to maintain?

What then? Maybe we give up consuming all together, so they can continue the same way they always do?

Such a load of ****…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Dr Brown wrote: »
    Good old Noddy Robinson wants everyone in the country to become a vegan for the sake of "climate justice".

I wonder will she stop traveling around on private jets to cut down her carbon footprint ? somehow I don't think so.

Don't worry, even if she does we can probably find another excuse to never change our behaviour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Lets flip it on this idiot. She is basically calling for the mass extinction of a few animals. Cows,Sheep,Pigs and Chickens. Lets face it, if the eating of meat or animal products was banned world wide then why would any farmer bother keeping any of the above. I'd safely say they'd all be gone in about 30 years.

Same as idiots calling for a ban on horse racing. Do people really think Aidan O'Brien or Willie Mullins would keep 200 horses apiece if they couldn't make a few quid off them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Boards.ie users sure do get upset at the notion of not abusing animals!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,860 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Eathrin wrote: »

Found this a strange thread to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Austria!

Putinbot wrote: »
    Lets flip it on this idiot. She is basically calling for the mass extinction of a few animals. Cows,Sheep,Pigs and Chickens. .

Land clearing for animals causes many more species to go extinct.

I guess that's you gone vegan, seeing as this concerns you so much,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

anewme wrote: »
    Found this a strange thread to begin with.
    Check who started it. Was never going to be better than strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Lets flip it on this idiot. She is basically calling for the mass extinction of a few animals. Cows,Sheep,Pigs and Chickens. Lets face it, if the eating of meat or animal products was banned world wide then why would any farmer bother keeping any of the above. I'd safely say they'd all be gone in about 30 years.

Same as idiots calling for a ban on horse racing. Do people really think Aidan O'Brien or Willie Mullins would keep 200 horses apiece if they couldn't make a few quid off them.

You do know what happens to slow race horses don't you?

http://www.thejournal.ie/horses-slaughtered-food-chain-3953636-Apr2018/

Austria! wrote: »
    Land clearing for animals causes many more species to go extinct.

I guess that's you gone vegan, seeing as this concerns you so much,

Fück no. To paraphrase Charlton Heston "They'll prise my beef burger from my cold dead hands"

• Registered Users Posts: 15,768 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I can eat whatever the fcuk I want.

Enough with the insufferable preachyness, no wonder ye are so hated.

Fück no. To paraphrase Charlton Heston "They'll prise my beef burger from my cold dead hands"

Unfortunately he won't have your back on this he died 10 years ago RIP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Climate change is happening but unfortunately the most virtuous proponents of change are the most hypocritical of carbon users.

Robinson isn’t even a vegan herself, as far as I know but this is par for the course for her class. I mean she’s been so career driven she left the Irish presidency to get a better job party way through her term. She flies private jets. Her consumption is probably way above average.

We should all reduce meat though.

My brother in law is a vegan so I have to eat extra to make up for him. Not joking either.

Climate change is happening but unfortunately the most virtuous proponents of change are the most hypocritical of carbon users.

Robinson isn’t even a vegan herself, as far as I know but this is par for the course for her class. I mean she’s been so career driven she left the Irish presidency to get a better job party way through her term. She flies private jets. Her consumption is probably way above average.

There is a valid point regarding Mary Robinson's carbon footprint. Until about 12 months ago she had a 6,500 sq ft mansion in Mayo. She sold it for €1.55m to move to a smaller place in Dublin. She said in a recent interview that she is "cutting down" on flights but still uses taxis to get about.

Until people like her are prepared to accept that their carbon allowance can only be the same as any citizen they will find it hard to sell their message.

By the way the reason you are hearing so much about her lately is she is plugging a book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Folks, nobody is being forced to do anything.

There are far bigger concerns to focus your energy on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Close down all the fast food joints like MacDonald's & Supermac's and that should solve the problem and maybe do something about the levels of obesity.

Unfortunately it will put quite an amount of people out of work and that will put an enormous strain on revenue so I don't think this will happen!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Are tiger vegan

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Austria! wrote: »
    Land clearing for animals causes many more species to go extinct. I guess that's you gone vegan, seeing as this concerns you so much,

Beware the attack of the veganators ...

No 'land clearing' in Ireland for animal agriculture

However intensive cultivation for arable and horticultural produce results in the death and destruction of many species.

But vegan propaganda won't tell you that ... ;)

As for the cheap imported foodstuffs bought by those vegans ....

¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯. 

• Registered Users Posts: 16,126 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I'm not a vegan but she's right. Saying that we should eat less meat products is simply what loads of climate scientists have said. The world is changing and we're going to change with it. It's not the first time this has happened either. Human diets have always changed because of economic reasons, they'll change again because of other reasons. We certainly don't have the same diets we did 100 years ago.

Animal farming is a huge contribute to greenhouse gasses. In addition we're getting to the point where we need to get more food globally. You will see a shift to non meet products in a lot of countries.

Globally our diets will change because they have to.

Grayson wrote: »
    I'm not a vegan but she's right ... Animal farming is a huge contribute to greenhouse gasses. ....

She's a media geisha with a mouth like the Mersey tunnel

Transport and Fossil fuels are the two biggest global contributors to greenhouse gas emissions.

You (not a vegan) going to give up your car / use of fossil fuels first No?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

This is the next step folks. 20 years ago we would have laughed at the Sugar Tax, minimum pricing of alcohol or this preposterous idea in the UK to limit Pizzas to below 1000 calories. So many foods and drinks over the last few years have been ruined in the false name of health by the political/media establishment. Robinsons rhetoric may not be far off.

2kmv2z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,485 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Whatever about meat, but you should all stay away from dairy.

https://twitter.com/peta/status/1053073317786198022

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

gozunda wrote: »
    Beware the attack of the veganators ...

No 'land clearing' in Ireland for animal agriculture

However intensive cultivation for arable and horticultural produce results in the death and destruction of many species.

But vegan propaganda won't tell you that ... ;)

As for the cheap imported foodstuffs bought by those vegans ....

¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯. 

We're bottom in Europe along with the Netherlands for woodland cover.

Do you not eat any imported fruit or vegetables yourself?

We're bottom in Europe along with the Netherlands for woodland cover.Do you not eat any imported fruit or vegetables yourself?

Still preaching lol? In Ireland significant amounts of agricultural land have been planted with forestry in the past couple of decades. I mainly grow my own thanks or buy local. How's your vegan lifestyle and all that cheap nasty imported food grown with few if any environmental and ethical standards with its massive food miles doing? Though funny last time in AH you claimed not to be a vegan .... ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Thought eating bugs was the new land and energy efficient way to save the environment?

Advertisement