Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mary Robinson wants us all to become vegan

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

*There's a thread about vegans or going vegan here at least once a month. These threads are full of preachiness about how a vegan based diet is better.

Why the fuck it matters to anyone that someone chooses to eat meat is beyond me.

There's about as many foreign ingredients in processed vegan food as there is in processed meat the way. Practically all of them even use soya and other ****e as a filling ingredient. If you want to eat vegetables because you enjoy them that's understandable but this shit about caring for the planet more than those that eat a normal mixed diet is ridiculous.

*fixed that for you ;)

You did take time to read the title of this thread Irish Guitarist yeah? And guess who's doing the preaching? Yup the vegans...go figure

You vegan by any chance :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

gozunda wrote: »
    *fixed that for you ;)

You did take time to read the title of this thread Irish Guitarist yeah? And guess who's doing the preaching? Yup the vegans...go figure

You didn't fix anything for me. I said exactly what I meant to say. Thanks for trying though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Dakota Dan

Where did her nickname come out of?

Is it that she resembles the Toytown character or is it becomes she nods her head excessively?
    The second one.

The thread is an example of why boards is becoming such a joke. She made a perfectly valid point, the same point climate scientists have been making, and the first page of the thread is nothing but a race to attack her. Boards.ie is full of the opposite of virtue signaling- people rushing to show off how reactionary and hate filled they are.

Are you ok Mary?

Eathrin wrote: »
    Sorry to break it to you but you can't murder something you love. This is not the same as putting down a sick dog, we're talking about raising animals for the sole purpose of slaughter and doing so when they are effectively children.

Cool nickname. A lot of vegans are anti natalist already. No one trick ponies.

I hope you're aware of the amount of methane produced by animal agriculture? Do you know how much more lethal methane is to the environment than even Co2?
    Did you not read earlier in the thread that methane disappears from the atmosphere after 12 years whereas co2 takes way longer? Take off them blinkers you are wearing.

• Advertisement

You didn't fix anything for me. I said exactly what I meant to say. Thanks for trying though.

The point stands.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

Poor Mary is a wee bit behind the times, again.
    https://twitter.com/SBakerMD/status/1049696517177503745
    The third graph there is the interesting one, agricultural emissions dropping but the rest of the emissions on a huge upward surge. People may have to look a bit closer to home than is comfortable to reduce emissions.

But, yeah, beef is the cause:rolleyes:

Greenhouse gasses are not just the only problem, beef production causes mass deforestation and habitat extinction, run off of chemincals into local water reserves, huge water usage, among many other problems

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

*fixed that for you ;)

How does it work in a discussion that one side is preachy and the other is not? You absolutely love that word but it is totally illogical to use here.

How does it work in a discussion that one side is preachy and the other is not? You absolutely love that word but it is totally illogical to use here.

Easy to spot tbh. When veganistas turn up and start spouting rubbish about meat being evil and destroying the planet via GHGs and the rainforests blah blah - no mention of fossil fuels or anything else. It's the same ****e again and again.

Posters who then hold this type of stuff up to scrutiny arn't preaching they're pointing out the absurdities - Simples

As you may have observed already I wasnt the one who at first pointd out the preachyness . I quoted and paraphrased the poster above and the poster who referred to you in their post....

¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

Take a read of this - it might help you to understand a little ...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/pop-psych/201311/curious-case-vegan-moral-hypocrisy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

Easy to spot tbh. When veganistas turn up and start spouting rubbish about meat being evil and destroying the planet via GHGs and the rainforests blah blah. It's the same ****e again and again.

Posters who then hold this type of stuff up to scrutiny arn't preaching they're pointing out the absurdities - Simples

As you may have observed already I certainly wasnt the one who at first pointd out the preachyness . I simply quoted the poster above and the poster who referred to you in their post....

¯\_(ツ)_/ ¯

Take a read of this - it might help you to understand a little ...

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/pop-psych/201311/curious-case-vegan-moral-hypocrisy

Put it in italics to really drive it home! Absolutely savage.

That article is bizarre. Trying to call vegans hypocrites because of the actions of one person? Comparing lions to humans? And the notion that because a person stands for reducing suffering but ultimately falls a little short of their ideal is worthy of ridicule is just mad.

• Advertisement

Put it in italics to really drive it home! Absolutely savage.

That article is bizarre. Trying to call vegans hypocrites because of the actions of one person? Comparing lions to humans? And the notion that because a person stands for reducing suffering but ultimately falls a little short of their ideal is worthy of ridicule is just mad.

He's a psychologist so I reckon he'd probably be able to spot 'mad' fairly well tbh ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

Woke Hogan wrote: »
    No there aren't. This dying planet and the impending extinction of our species are the most important concerns facing us at the moment.

The permanently outraged meat eaters in this thread should reflect on their robbing of their grandchildren's future as they choke down each rancid bite of their steaks. The price they're paying for a burger and chips is the eventual annihilation of their lineal descendency, doomed to eventual societal collapse and premature deaths and the blackened promise of the human race.
    I was referring to people acting as though Mary Robinson is forcing them to go vegan.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,767 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

wakka12 wrote: »
    Greenhouse gasses are not just the only problem, beef production causes mass deforestation and habitat extinction, run off of chemincals into local water reserves, huge water usage, among many other problems

Which growing acres and acres of veg doesn't of course. You can grow veg in a rain forest.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,226 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Which growing acres and acres of veg doesn't of course. You can grow veg in a rain forest.:rolleyes:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_protein_per_unit_area_of_land

I'm no vegan or vegetarian, but no doubt it's better all round. No system is perfect.

Huge water usage? That has been proven wrong many times. Polluting rivers with chemicals and deforestation doesn’t happen in Europe.

Cienciano wrote: »
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edible_protein_per_unit_area_of_land

I'm no vegan or vegetarian, but no doubt it's better all round. No system is perfect.

Nope ...

Amongst the two worst offenders for environmental degradation and greenhouse gas emissions are at the top of that list. These are Soya production - destruction of rainforest, habitat removal & spcies extinction and Rice production - water pollution, euthrophication including toxic metal pollution and major Methane emitter for greenhouse gases ...

That's the thing. Claims that so something is 'better all round' just doesn't wash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Huge water usage is a typical fallacy being propagated as fact, typically from US sites where a large proportion of agricultural crops are dependent on water taken from underground reservoirs like the Ogallala reservoir in the US. US agriculture is in no way comparable to European agriculture or Asian agriculture for that matter.

In Ireland we live in a temperate, maritime climate, where there is, for the most part, plenty of rain water for growth of crops. Indeed, the biggest problem is the more frequent excess of water for growth and harvesting of crops.

As for mass deforestation, take that up with those causing it mainly in Brazil. In Ireland, the tertiary managed ecosystem is grassland which the Irish climatic conditions is near perfect for and the soil types prevalent in Ireland is much more suited to than other staple cropping types like grains or vegetable production.

Certainly, you can grow grains or vegetables where ever you want to in Ireland, but you cannot grow a breakeven crop never mind a profitable crop in the majority of Irish soil types even if you could get it as far as harvesting said crop.

As far as habitat extinction goes, take a look at where you live. What happened to the once thriving habitat that was present there before you decided to park up there and build/buy a house in that site? Have you native Irish plants growing and providing food and shelter for native animal species or have you a plethora of imported plants and a green desert without any habitat for the flora and fauna that should be thriving there?

We have a large area of native hedging and habitat on our lands and have increased that habitat in recent years as our needs changed and funding has become available. Habitats change according as our needs change and we have a large and varied wildlife selection living within a few feet of our doors.

As to runoff of chemicals, perhaps again one might be better off looking much closer to ones own output than blaming others before their own deficiencies are sorted. I'll leave this for your further perusal, at your convenience.
    https://www.independent.ie/news/environment/raw-sewage-still-being-discharged-into-waters-in-38-areas-37448297.html

Advertisement