Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rachel McKinnon wins Worlds gold at UCI masters track cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

CramCycle wrote: »
    You are purposefully misreading my post. I have never posted on slavery in Nigeria and know very little about it. You on the other hand have been posting about women's sports and the unfairness with alot of passion. This to me would indicate you have a strong passion for women's cycling. This is great as it has a small cohort of passionate people already who could do with a bit more support. I myself help out at one race, as well as actively work with my own club to make sure we host a separate women's race. Because there are not as many people as you out digging in though, many women's races are blended with A4 or A3, which is abhorrent to you so I look forward to you giving a helping hand. If your not sure where to get started, drop me a PM and I can give you contacts or let you know of clubs local to you who would be glad of the help.

See? You are doing it again.
    I'm not misreading your post, you are trying to belittle my opinion on this topic by pointing out (correctly I might add) that I have not helped in organising a womens bike race.
    What on earth that has to do with trans women in sport (specifically cycling in this case) I have no idea, but you sure do seem to think it helps your argument somehow.
    So, to try to illustrate how silly your point is, I'm throwing it right back at you; a-la support for slavery. If me not helping womens cyclists means I cant speak out against trans-women, then equally you not stopping slavery in Nigeria means you cant speak out against slavery. A pure nonsense argument.
    . And she could just be a good cyclist
    But by yours, every trans male to female athlete must be at the top of every podium with a margin that rivals Landis epic win.
    Not at all, in fact I have said the opposite.
    If a trans women beats a single natural women, then they are unfairly depriving someone of something. Just like Lance was, even when he didnt win. Anyone he was ahead of was unfairly knocked back a place by someone with an unfair advantage.

Never said I wasn't OK with it, it's simply whataboutery and not related to the discussion in hand.
    How is is whataboutery and not related to the discussion?
    Its other examples of people having surgical procedures to change who they are. Except in these cases we all laugh at the poor misguided individuals....*of course* a man cant become a lizard or a cat...yet a woman can become a man through the same process and suddenly its ok and its wrong for the rest of us to point out the disparity here?

That's still a reasonable number of people, but not a big enough majority for you. Luckily someone else has Godwin'd the thread already.
    "not a big enough majority"?
    Its 0.05 of 1 percent....its nowhere near a majority, its hardly even a minority, its a statistical anomaly if anything.

It's not transphobic to ask the questions. It is transphobic when presented with reasonable answers to said questions to roundly ignore them and revert to chanting it doesn't matter she is a man. This is simply not true. If there were not reasonable answers then it would make sense to keep up the chant but a specific set of posters here seem intention whataboutery and distraction. I stupidly have responded to nearly all of their posts in length only for them to pick out the bits they can try and alter slightly. It is like being responded to by a Daily Mail headline generator than a person

The problem is we havent been presented with reasonable answers to reasonable questions.
    You dont like my cat/lizard example because you cant give an answer for it that fits with the rest of you narrative.
    In one case an operation changes the definition of someone, in 2 others it doesnt...explain why?

Its logic-phobic when presented with logical questions and logic answers to just keep repeating "but the law says they are". The law is repeatedly shown to be an ass and doesnt stand up to the test of time.
    Biologically unchangeable facts on the other hand do stand up, yet you are ignoring them for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Elmo Murphy

I have no issue gathering data, in fact anytime I have posted data or tried to point to ways that it could be interpreted it has been roundly ignored by some posters.
    First of all, I know many women who are shorter and heavier than that, taller and lighter and some who are probably not far off that, but it was an point that has no relevance.
    Your missing one clear point here, pro athletes are typically a sub set of the wider human race in regards advantages, be they genetic or otherwise. The advantages you claim all men hold over all women simply does not hold true at an international level. We accept that those at the top of their game are a breed apart from the rest but when someone is trans and wins a minority of their events, they are cheating in some way. It would not take much looking forward to find someone born female who has bigger lung or heart volume, who has higher bone density or higher muscle mass. Somehow these people who have been gifted genetic advantages above all others, are in some way not cheating despite that being the claim against Rachel despite the fact, with data linked to earlier in thread, she simply does not have all those advantages.

People want it to be cheating and when provided by reasoned and well thought out reasons why it is not, they turn too moronic, men are better than women without any proof other than their own feelings

Its the same issue.

Elite male athletes will have a natural advantage over elite female athletes.

It all comes down to the point that once someone is a man as opposed to a woman they have an advantage there is no disputing that, If there was then why do we have womens sports at all.

In a lot of ways I shouldn't really care whether transgender women are allowed to compete in womens sports it will not have any negative affect on my life as I'm not a person competing against them, however I imagine women competing will have a big issue with it (of course they'll be bullied into keeping quiet about it)

I have no issue gathering data, in fact anytime I have posted data or tried to point to ways that it could be interpreted it has been roundly ignored by some posters.
    First of all, I know many women who are shorter and heavier than that, taller and lighter and some who are probably not far off that, but it was an point that has no relevance.
    Your missing one clear point here, pro athletes are typically a sub set of the wider human race in regards advantages, be they genetic or otherwise. The advantages you claim all men hold over all women simply does not hold true at an international level. We accept that those at the top of their game are a breed apart from the rest but when someone is trans and wins a minority of their events, they are cheating in some way. It would not take much looking forward to find someone born female who has bigger lung or heart volume, who has higher bone density or higher muscle mass. Somehow these people who have been gifted genetic advantages above all others, are in some way not cheating despite that being the claim against Rachel despite the fact, with data linked to earlier in thread, she simply does not have all those advantages.

People want it to be cheating and when provided by reasoned and well thought out reasons why it is not, they turn too moronic, men are better than women without any proof other than their own feelings

You are fixated on trying to disprove the idea that all men are stronger than all women, yet this isnt the argument.

"men" are stronger than "women", sure there are outliers but by and large, in the vast, vast majority of cases this is true.

Yet you are holding to the idea that since this person doenst win everytime, its fine. Lance didnt win everytime, I presume you had an issue with him doping?

Whats the difference?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

GreeBo wrote: »
    If a trans women beats a single natural women, then they are unfairly depriving someone of something.

That incorrectly supposes that the trans woman has done something unfair. This is not the case, as they've competed within a set of rules which explicitly allows them to compete. By denying them this, it is you who would treat them unfairly based on your own bias. I'm not seeing any reasonable evidence to support this bias, as in results of actual research. Anything less than this amounts to no more than opinion. Those best placed to make informed decisions as to what is or is not fair in a sport are the governing bodies of that sport, which of course they do on an ongoing basis which in turn has led to the rules we have today.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

You are fixated on trying to disprove the idea that all men are stronger than all women, yet this isnt the argument.

"men" are stronger than "women", sure there are outliers but by and large, in the vast, vast majority of cases this is true.

Yet you are holding to the idea that since this person doenst win everytime, its fine. Lance didnt win everytime, I presume you had an issue with him doping?

Whats the difference?

Lance doped to purposefully gain advantage. Pantani the same, Ben Johnson the same. They all doped to enhance performance. This is completely and utterly different

You keep trying to draw similarities to this and other things which are absolutely poles apart and then accuse others of deflecting, or not backing up their point whne you have utterly failed to do so yourself, all while managing to be derogatory and inflame something which you evidently have no understanding of and think of it as a very black and white issue which it isn't.

It's ignorant at best

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    Lance doped to purposefully gain advantage. Pantani the same, Ben Johnson the same. They all doped to enhance performance. This is completely and utterly different

You keep trying to draw similarities to this and other things which are absolutely poles apart and then accuse others of deflecting, or not backing up their point whne you have utterly failed to do so yourself, all while managing to be derogatory and inflame something which you evidently have no understanding of and think of it as a very black and white issue which it isn't.

It's ignorant at best

Why have womens sports at all then if there is no advantage to being biologically male.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

On the cat lizard argument, while beyond the point that a transwoman is a woman. If someone wants to identify as whatever, let them, what's the harm? It's their body at the end of the day. Its not as if they're forcing you to do the same to yours

P_1 wrote: »
    On the cat lizard argument, while beyond the point that a transwoman is a woman. If someone wants to identify as whatever, let them, what's the harm? It's their body at the end of the day. Its not as if they're forcing you to do the same to yours

I don't think he has a problem with someone identifying as whatever they are, but it doesn't mean they are the thing they identify as.

In this debate though someone who is biologically male identifying as a woman and competing in a female sport is unfair on real women who she competes against.

smacl wrote: »
    That incorrectly supposes that the trans woman has done something unfair. This is not the case, as they've competed within a set of rules which explicitly allows them to compete. By denying them this, it is you who would treat them unfairly based on your own bias. I'm not seeing any reasonable evidence to support this bias, as in results of actual research. Anything less than this amounts to no more than opinion. Those best placed to make informed decisions as to what is or is not fair in a sport are the governing bodies of that sport, which of course they do on an ongoing basis which in turn has led to the rules we have today.
    The rules are unfair and, in my opinion, only exist to appease the noisy minority.
    The fact is that there was an advantage that didnt always lead to someone taking first place. Some would say "what harm" in this case, I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy of this viewpoint by using PED takers as an example.

It's ignorant at best

It is black and white, thats exactly the point I and others are making.
    There are 2 sexes, male and female, you dont switch between then two anymore than you become a donkey by getting some surgeon to give you big ears and a tail.
    The only reason we are treating this trans contradiction any differently is because people are now afraid to call things out for what they really are due to fear of being attacked by SJW.
    I don't think he has a problem with someone identifying as whatever they are, but it doesn't mean they are the thing they identify as.

In this debate though someone who is biologically male identifying as a woman and competing in a female sport is unfair on real women who she competes against.

Bingo.
    Call yourself a toddler for all I care, but that doesn't entitle you do a childrens allowance.
    Call yourself a woman if you want, but that doesnt entitle you to do everything that a biological woman can.

Nothing about life is black and white and if you view the world that way you have lived a very sheltered life.

• Advertisement

Nothing about life is black and white and if you view the world that way you have lived a very sheltered life.

Sport can be black and white, you either win or you don't.

People sometimes don't want things to be black and white as they want to shelter themselves from facts they don't agree with.

The studies out there appear limited, but from "Sport and Transgender People: A Systematic Review of the Literature Relating to Sport Participation and Competitive Sport Policies" the conclusion states

I guess the researchers just aren't spending enough time on boards to make an informed decision. :pac:

Another way to read the conclusion from that piece is that there is no evidence to the contrary either.
    I'm pretty sure if they actually had any evidence they would have presented it, funny that they didnt.

Hmm, you you say

and the peer reviewed journal says...

Perhaps you'd care to back your assertion with a bit of evidence that goes beyond anecdote and what you feel is 'common sense'.

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

The rules are unfair and, in my opinion, only exist to appease the noisy minority
    I'd argue the opposite, they only seem to annoy the noisy minority. The truth of the matter is if the majority were annoyed, the rules would be different.
    The fact is that there was an advantage that didnt always lead to someone taking first place. Some would say "what harm" in this case, I'm merely pointing out the hypocrisy of this viewpoint by using PED takers as an example.
    The facts are clear, and until more become available it's hard to understand your point. In this case, all evidence indicates that being transgender provided no benefit. If you have actual evidence other than your opinion, please share.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

Nothing about life is black and white

Yet you are happy to state that 'transwomen.are.women' and accept every one to just accept that?

Seems to me there might be a few shades of grey indeed

I'd argue the opposite, they only seem to annoy the noisy minority. The truth of the matter is if the majority were annoyed, the rules would be different.
    The majority of people just get on with their lives, that doenst mean they agree with it.
    Its the noisy minority who bring these causes to bear.
    Just look at the recent removal of Kleenex Mansize tissues because it offended someone.
    The facts are clear, and until more become available it's hard to understand your point. In this case, all evidence indicates that being transgender provided no benefit. If you have actual evidence other than your opinion, please share.

How are the facts in anyway clear?
    You are fixated on the placings of transgender women to somehow prove that they dont have an unfair advantage in sports, but this is not a useful or all encompassing metric to prove advantage.
    You can have an advantage and still not win!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

It's ignorant at best

So being a man is not any kind of advantage in a sporting context.
    So let’s just have the Wimbledon fortnight next June, one big draw culminating in the Wimbledon Final on the second Sunday?

As an example of appealing to the noisy minority out of fear:

NHS guidance states: "men living as women are being invited for cervical smear tests even though they do not have a cervix, an official guidebook states. A video accompanying the guidance explains that smear tests can be “uncomfortable” for trans men, as “it is often a procedure designed for women”."

Does that seem a sound, scientific decision by the NHS or more of a scared to speak the facts in case they get abused by the snowflakes response?

wexie wrote: »
    Yet you are happy to state that 'transwomen.are.women' and accept every one to just accept that?

Seems to me there might be a few shades of grey indeed

Do you know any? Try say it to their face that they're not women

Do you know any? Try say it to their face that they're not women

actually I do.

And I treat her as a woman, refer to her as a woman.

It hasn't come up in conversation whether or not I believe she is a woman though. Now, perhaps that might be because she, nor I, think in terms of defining a person by their gender rather than just their person.

And why would it matter whether or not I believe she is a woman if I extend her the courtesy of treating her like one?

• Advertisement

The rules are unfair and, in my opinion, only exist to appease the noisy minority

The rules being unfair is also no more than an opinion. All the noise I'm hearing seems to be coming from those such as yourself.

How are the facts in anyway clear?
    You are fixated on the placings of transgender women to somehow prove that they dont have an unfair advantage in sports, but this is not a useful or all encompassing metric to prove advantage.
    You can have an advantage and still not win!
    Again not reading my posts, please review the thread. Rachel's testosterone is lower than most women. Her bone density and muscle mass would also be consistent. There are several women around the world who would have larger lung and heart capacity and but please, just ignore all of this.
    As an example of appealing to the noisy minority out of fear:

NHS guidance states: "men living as women are being invited for cervical smear tests even though they do not have a cervix, an official guidebook states. A video accompanying the guidance explains that smear tests can be “uncomfortable” for trans men, as “it is often a procedure designed for women”."

Does that seem a sound, scientific decision by the NHS or more of a scared to speak the facts in case they get abused by the snowflakes response?
    Again, irrelevant to the discussion at hand. You don't have to get a smear test, while they are recommended there is no one forcing their hand. Without any other info it's hard to comment further but what it has to do with this case is beyond me.
    actually I do.

And I treat her as a woman, refer to her as a woman.

It hasn't come up in conversation whether or not I believe she is a woman though. Now, perhaps that might be because she, nor I, think in terms of defining a person by their gender rather than just their person.

And why would it matter whether or not I believe she is a woman if I extend her the courtesy of treating her like one?
    But you would object if she raced in the Frank O'Rourke and signed on as a woman, so no, your not extending her the courtesy.

It is black and white, thats exactly the point I and others are making.
    There are 2 sexes, male and female, you dont switch between then two anymore than you become a donkey by getting some surgeon to give you big ears and a tail.
    The only reason we are treating this trans any differently is because people are now afraid to call things out for what they really are due to fear of being attacked by SJW.
    MOD VOICE: Legally, quite simply the part boards as an entity is most concerned with, Rachel is a woman. This is a fact borne out by law. This is not I dispute in the eyes of the law. Some seem uncomfortable with this fact. I suggest they get over it. It is OK to discuss the story as it stands and the surrounding issues, including whether or not an advantage is gained , and if this is acceptable but the next person to fail to grasp this basic legal premise will get a card. If I am mistaken, please let me know via PM, do not discuss in thread.

But you would object if she raced in the Frank O'Rourke and signed on as a woman, so no, your not extending her the courtesy.

deleted as written at the same time as mod warning.

guess we're done here.

It only annoys a minority because no trans woman has

If they deny a real woman an olympic medal it might start to annoy a few more and something might be done.

But the organisers of the competitions well know who'll give them the largest headache. The trans person not allowed to compete, or the woman who didn't win.

And, as so eloquently pointed out above, it's the law... So a talented female cyclist denied a place on the podium does what? They get recourse based on what?

Whereas if an organisation denied a transwoman starting rights there would be a raft of well funded organisations chomping at the bit and frothing at the mouth to take up the battle....

But the organisers of the competitions well know who'll give them the largest headache. The trans person not allowed to compete, or the woman who didn't win.

Do you have any references to support your assertion that the pressure from the trans women on the organisers outweighs that of the other women competing, or is this simply speculation? Reason I ask is that given they're such a tiny minority, there is no reason to assume that they can apply any leverage to a large sporting body without the majority support of all others involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

One of the difficulties with understanding cycling performance is that the physiological traits which separate the elite from the also-rans aren't physically obvious.

But they are there, and they do differ by born gender.

So maybe the general case surrounding this issue of trans-people is easier to reason about in sports where the physiological traits are more obvious.

For instance, the average height of an NBA player is 6 feet 11 inches, and armspans of well over 7 feet are typical.

So if an averagely sized and proportioned NBA player were to transition to female and compete in womens' basketball, they would probably be the best player on earth, regardless of their hormone levels. Would that be fair? I don't know. I don't want to rob anyone of their athletic career through exclusionary rules, but it would seem like a somewhat odd outcome.

And hypothetically, if womens' basketball were to attract similar compensation to the mens game (say, by making it a legal requirement for the salary pools to be equal, which an advocate of equality might consider a good idea) there would be huge financial incentives for people to switch gender, since the average NBA player earns over $6m a year.

Maybe that would be OK? For the womens' game to be entirely dominated by trans players?

This may seem to be an absurd argument, since there several unlikely factors that would have to come together to make that happen.

But this is as much an argument about broad principles as a micro outcomes. There is strong whiff of "values" coming from either side of the argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Lumen wrote: »
    But this is as much an argument about broad principles as a micro outcomes. There is strong whiff of "values" coming from either side of the argument.

Nice reasoned post, but reason left about 300 posts ago.

P1ck a fcuking side :D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

ford2600 wrote: »
    P1ck a fcuking side :D
    Bear with me, I'm in the process of transitioning from one to the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Does absolutely no one want to discuss abandoning all “segregated by sex”sporting competitions? If being a biological male is no advantage then why on earth is there a Ladies Rugby World Cup?

Advertisement