Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rachel McKinnon wins Worlds gold at UCI masters track cycling

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,114 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Lumen wrote: »
    "biologically a man" is a gross simplification. She was born male, but her biology has been manipulated. Her biology is now something else, I guess.

In normal life I prefer not to stick labels on people. If someone wants to be called something or treated in a particularly way then I'm happy to adjust my words and behaviour to accommodate that, although I may get it wrong and hope those mistakes are forgivable.

But in elite sport we need categories. If we got rid of categories there would be only men competing with each other. So some poor feckers have to navigate the complexity of modern biological and social gender and come up with a set of rules for those categories. Good luck with that, because however you do it someone is going to be disadvantaged.

So if I say I'm a she-wolf you will just accept it?
    What if I say I'm actually your boss and you are fired, will you accept that or not?

Why will you accept one label I give myself but not another?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

GreeBo wrote: »
    What if I say I'm actually your boss and you are fired, will you accept that or not?

How does this relate to cycling?
    This is a complicated matter and will probably be figured out over time.

How does this relate to cycling?
    This is a complicated matter and will probably be figured out over time.

Maybe wolves are excellent cyclists.:confused:

The point is that you *are* something, there are some facts that you dont get to choose, not even if you are Donald Trump.

Being 85KG is a fact, being an 85KG man or an 85KG woman is a fact.
    You cant just decide to switch facts anymore than you can decide you now identify as a 65KG man.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

terrydel wrote: »
    Plenty of woman, maybe not in this particular instance, have raised concerns over this. But they just get called bigots. And shouted down by the mob as is now common.
    Where? I could, I imagine find just as many competitors, rather than just women in general, who have voiced opinion he other way. Did you ever think, rather than just saying they are afraid of being called bigots, maybe, just maybe, and quite unintentionally, they could be bigots, but don't want to admit it out loud. I haven't shouted you down, nor do I think your bigotted. I think we are looking at it from two different stand points. You seem to have strong beliefs on some huge advantage Rachel has achieved through her early life. I am very much of the opinion that the facts do not bare this out. She is not winning by a country mile, she is not winning every race, all in all, looking at her form, there is nothing to say she will ever win that competition again. She might be competitive at it but no more than any other person in the race.
    As for testosterone, you wilfully ignore the comment I made about the historical/residual advantages she's had from being born a biological male and the physiological benefits that entails in relation to physical activity, as in higher testosterone levels for an extended time. She may have those levels low now, but that wasn't always the case. Go read anything from Ross Tucker on this.
    I have read loads on Ross Tucker on this, even he isn't sure of his opinion. You are willfully missing the points about several male athletes having lower than female athletes or competitors athletes testosterone. As well as Rachel herself having low levels, and nothing to indicate that her levels were abnormally high before hand to endow an advantage over others.
    Are you saying that shes had zero advantage from being born and living a large period of her life as a biological male? And are you also suggesting that the catergorisation of sport into male/female is purely based on what someone thinks they are, because it that is the case, then you are ok with any male deciding to enter any female discipline? You cant have it both ways.
    I am saying that there is nothing even close to proof that it has been or would be an advantage.

This is just going down nonsense town now, one is a form of self identification, the other is an earned position, you are just conflating things which cannot be compared.

The point is that you *are* something, there are some facts that you dont get to choose, not even if you are Donald Trump.

You cant just decide to switch facts anymore than you can decide you now identify as a 65KG man.
    The 65kg bit maybe, but the other part yes, legally, socially and morally you can change. It is not an easy decision or process, and I couldn't even begin to imagine how tough it is in the modern world, but it doesn't change the fact that you can.

The other question that will or has come up, is if it does give a huge advantage (which in this case it would appear not to be to an impartial observer), in this minority of a minority, would I still support her participation. Yes I would, she is a woman, and as such stopping her talking part in a competition for women because she has an undoping/cheating related advantage, be it genetic, social, financial (and they all make a difference), then yes. Every winner at international level has an unfair advantage in one of these categories. In Rachels, I would put it down more to social and financial than genetic, but there we go.

Plenty of racers who do better than me who are the benefactors of social and financial supports that remove fair play from the competition, and in the same way, there are a few lads I race against who, if I only targeted beating them, I always would win due to genetic advantages, that is sport.

CramCycle wrote: »
    This is just going down nonsense town now, one is a form of self identification, the other is an earned position, you are just conflating things which cannot be compared.
    They can be compared. They are both facts.
    One of the people is actually your boss, another one is identifying as you boss, in the face of all the facts.

The 65kg bit maybe, but the other part yes, legally, socially and morally you can change. It is not an easy decision or process, and I couldn't even begin to imagine how tough it is in the modern world, but it doesn't change the fact that you can.
    Legally and socially are not biological facts though.

Male & Female are definitions, you cant change the label without changing the definition.

Plenty of racers who do better than me who are the benefactors of social and financial supports that remove fair play from the competition,

Indeed they are, but there is nothing in the competition that pretends to be "fair" or trying to balance social or economic factors, however when a race is defined as a "female" race, then it is *specifically* separating males from females.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

Why are you so exercised about this?
    This is a complicated issue that will be figured out over time.

Why are you so exercised about this?
    This is a complicated issue that will be figured out over time.

Who says I am exercised about it?:confused:

I have an opinion that I am sharing just as you are.

I dont believe actual female athletes should be denied medals or careers because of what is hopefully some temporary insanity on the part of the IOC.

They can be compared. They are both facts.
    One of the people is actually your boss, another one is identifying as you boss, in the face of all the facts.
    You have to know that is BS.

Legally and socially are not biological facts though.
    By societal terms they are. Regardless of this, everyone glossed over my genetic mocaism or intersex athletes comments. Should someone who from birth believed they were female in any and every sense of the word, who became an athlete and done well, have their accomplishment stripped because some people think it is unfair.
    Male & Female are definitions, you cant change the label without changing the definition.
    Life isn't black and white, even without chosen intervention there are more than enough cases to justify saying it is not black and white.
    Indeed they are, but there is nothing in the competition that pretends to be "fair" or trying to balance social or economic factors, however when a race is defined as a "female" race, then it is *specifically* separating males from females.
    And in my opinion, transgender women are women. This is really the crux of the issue. I have given plenty of examples why it isn't an advantage in this case, in fact I'd understand it more if there was a clear advantage, but there really does not appear to be. In this scenario, I think the numbers hold up that the advantage is either non existent or in line with any other random variable in our biological make up. therefoer the only reason to be disgruntled in this scenario is because you believe Transgender women are not women. I respectfully believe you are wrong.
    I dont believe actual female athletes should be denied medals or careers because of what is hopefully some temporary insanity on the part of the IOC.
    But you think some female athletes should be?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

...checks in on thread.
    Maybe wolves are excellent cyclists

...checks out of thread.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,552 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement

You have to know that is BS.
    Oh there is BS alright, but my post doesnt contain any.
    I find it strange that you are ok with people changing one fact (their gender) but not another.

By societal terms they are. Regardless of this, everyone glossed over my genetic mocaism or intersex athletes comments. Should someone who from birth believed they were female in any and every sense of the word, who became an athlete and done well, have their accomplishment stripped because some people think it is unfair.
    What does "societal terms" have to do with biology though?
    Biology is biology. Its the same in the middle of the Amazon as it is in Outer Mongolia, society doesnt define gender, biology does.
    You can believe all you want, it doesnt make it real. Life isnt fair, life is life and nature is nature.

According to societal terms I can identify as a lion and go try live in the Serengeti but when an actual lion rocks up and eats me, thats biology and nature at work.
    Thats the facts.
    Thats life.

Life isn't black and white, even without chosen intervention there are more than enough cases to justify saying it is not black and white.
    No, but biology effectively is.
    There are not "more than enough" cases...whats the rate?
    Less than .05% of the population are born with both/mixed genitalia.

And in my opinion, transgender women are women. This is really the crux of the issue. I have given plenty of examples why it isn't an advantage in this case, in fact I'd understand it more if there was a clear advantage, but there really does not appear to be. In this scenario, I think the numbers hold up that the advantage is either non existent or in line with any other random variable in our biological make up. therefoer the only reason to be disgruntled in this scenario is because you believe Transgender women are not women. I respectfully believe you are wrong.

They are not the biological definition of women. If you want another word to describe them, go right ahead, but you cant just (mis) appropriate an existing word that has a specific definition and use it to mean something else.

Pluto used to be a planet, we then realised it wasnt, so we dont call it a planet anymore. We didnt just change the definition of the word 'planet' to include bodies like Pluto.
    But you think some female athletes should be?

Which female athletes did I say should be?
    The people who you are calling "women" are most certainly not female, please stop reassigning the meaning of words.

Is this man a lizard?
    erik-the-lizardman-sprague-attends-the-lizardman-wax-figure-unveiling-picture-id117220721

Is this man cat?
    StalkingCat.jpg

Is this man a woman?
    Screenshot-9-2-640x480.jpg

How can you say "yes" to the third one but "no" to the other two?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

The last point in the above post is so asinine it doesnt deserve the dignity of a reply.

Look if her being trans gave an inherent advantage she would be winning every single race a la Lance Armstrong in the TDF, but she isn't. What does that tell us?

Another point. While she is incredibly intelligent and clearly has a bit of talent on the rothair, she does have a rather butch appearance. Would there be so much discussion on this if she appeared more femme? Just some food for thought

I have given several points to show there is no measurable advantage over her competitors. Then the goalposts moved to she is simply not female. The truth of the matter is we are never going to agree on this point. Rachel is a woman, not just in my opinion (which doesn't actually matter in the greater scheme of things), but legally and accepted by the organisers of the competition she was competing in.

If one thing can be taken from this, it was nee's excellent point where hopefully this enthusiasm for women's racing carries forward with all the passionate posters on this thread and they can help out next year. I presume with all the strong beliefs purported here that there are a few more eager faces ready to help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

P_1 wrote: »
    The last point in the above post is so asinine it doesnt deserve the dignity of a reply.
    Dignity has nothing to do with it.

You have no answer. Just admit it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

Who says I am exercised about it?:confused:

I have an opinion that I am sharing just as you are.

If you believe this is temporary then you haven’t been following the trajectory of the issue. In fact Rachel McKinnon is logically correct. If she’s legally a woman then she should race in female competitions.

Furthermore the testosterone test is discriminatory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Elmo Murphy

I have no problem with transgender people going about their lives and being whatever they want to be.As long as they don't do any harm to anyone else then they are fine to do as they please.

However in sport it is quite obvious that from the point where it is "decided" (don't know how better to phrase it) in the process of a baby being created whether you are going to be a born male or female the "decision" of the child being born male provides significant advantage on the child physically. for the child
    The person will be taller.
    They will have a bigger heart and lungs.
    They will have longer arms and legs.
    They will have greater bone density

All of the above give a person a significant advantage in competing in sport.

She has all of those advantages from being born a man and it is completely unfair on female athletes to be forced to compete against somebody who has those natural advantages of being born male.It doesn't matter what someone wants to identify as it doesn't matter what the legal situation is , if you want a fair sport you cannot have people who were born men competing in a womens sport.

All transgender athletes should have to compete in the mens sport and at least they do not gain an unfair advantage by being born a man , this is fair to women and it's fair to transgender athletes as they can still compete in their chosen sport.

Whether or not someone wins all the time is irrelevant it makes no difference Rachel MacKinnon has gained a completely unfair advantage by not being born a woman and therefore regardless of how successful she is she should not be allowed to compete in womens cycling events nor should any other transgender athlete.

Recently the world seems to have given up on common sense for fear of being labelled transphobic.

recedite wrote: »
    Dignity has nothing to do with it.

You have no answer. Just admit it.

Simply put what someone does to their body is of no business to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I have no problem with transgender people going about their lives and being whatever they want to be.As long as they don't do any harm to anyone else then they are fine to do as they please.
    Recently the world seems to have given up on common sense for fear of being labelled transphobic.
    That's weird phrasing. Why would transgender people hurt anyone?

Substitute another word and see how it looks.
    I have no problem with black people going about their lives and being whatever they want to be.As long as they don't do any harm to anyone else then they are fine to do as they please.

Lumen wrote: »
    That's weird phrasing. Why would transgender people hurt anyone?

Substitute another word and see how it looks.

I'm not implying they would.

I'm clarifying that regardless of what subsection of society a person belongs to as long as they cause no harm to anyone else then they can do as they please and I have no issue with them.

However transgender people competing in womens sport sport clearly is causing harm to female athletes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

You sure about that?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Only if it does not affect anyone else.
    But when a man on drugs is standing like an eejit on the winner's podium of a ladies race, having cheated the lady standing next to him out of her gold medal, that has a big effect on plenty of other people.

recedite wrote: »
    Only if it does not affect anyone else.
    But when a man on drugs is standing like an eejit on the winner's podium of a ladies race, having cheated the lady standing next to him out of her gold medal, that has a big effect on plenty of other people.

A. Trans. Woman. Is. A. Woman.

If you think otherwise theres just no point continuing this exchange. Theres a crowd of irritating middle class bored housewives in the UK you can go off and whiter to

If you think otherwise theres just no point continuing this exchange. Theres a crowd of irritating middle class bored housewives in the UK you can go off and whiter to

Biologically they are not women , never have been and never will be.

They simply have been modified so they can look like and live as women in order to keep them happy and content with their lives, which is perfectly fine.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Insert the name Kirsten Wild for 'They' in the below:
    The person will be taller.
    They will have a bigger heart and lungs.
    They will have longer arms and legs.
    They will have greater bone density

All of the above give a person a significant advantage in competing in sport.

Than Maya Abbott. Both professional cyclists and biological women. Look at the results (see below).
    I'm not implying they would.

I'm clarifying that regardless of what subsection of society a person belongs to as long as they cause no harm to anyone else then they can do as they please and I have no issue with them.

However transgender people competing in womens sport sport clearly is causing harm to female athletes.

Trans women are not hurting bio women. They're certainly not hurting me. Look into the conditions and levels of T they have to live under. And look at the results.
    As I have said before, the third placed woman beat Rachel 10 out of the 13 times they met.
    Look into the results of the other trans women competing in cycling. Look at the rules they have to adhere to (Olympic and national federations). Look at their results.
    By the metric of the above and posters spouting same these women are unbeatable, but the results don't bear this out at all.

nee wrote: »
    Insert the name Kirsten Wild for 'They' in the below:

Than Maya Abbott. Both professional cyclists and biological women. Look at the results (see below).

Trans women are not hurting bio women. They're certainly not hurting me. Look into the conditions and levels of T they have to live under. And look at the results.
    As I have said before, the third placed woman beat Rachel 10 out of the 13 times they met.
    Look into the results of the other trans women competing in cycling. Look at the rules they have to adhere to (Olympic and national federations). Look at their results.
    By the metric of the above and posters spouting same these women are unbeatable, but the results don't bear this out at all.

The issue has nothing whatsoever to do with whether any transgender athlete is unbeatable.

Rachel MacKinnon has gained an unfair advantage due to being born a man and therefore is performing better than she should be because she is biologically not a woman.

So why isn't lizard man a lizard?

He had medical procedures to make himself look like a lizard...same for cat man and same for this cyclist.

What makes "her" different than the other two?

If you believe this is temporary then you haven’t been following the trajectory of the issue. In fact Rachel McKinnon is logically correct. If she’s legally a woman then she should race in female competitions.

Furthermore the testosterone test is discriminatory.

Of course it is, just like hsving a female race discriminates against men...or rather is supposed to but now it seems you can grow your hair, chop your bits off and away you go.

If one thing can be taken from this, it was nee's excellent point where hopefully this enthusiasm for women's racing carries forward with all the passionate posters on this thread and they can help out next year. I presume with all the strong beliefs purported here that there are a few more eager faces ready to help out.
    By that logic you must support slavery as I didn't see you in Nigeria trying to stop it. It's a stupid, cheap shot and I think you know it.

Look if her being trans gave an inherent advantage she would be winning every single race a la Lance Armstrong in the TDF, but she isn't. What does that tell us?

Don't be silly. She could have an advantage and still just be a **** cyclist.
    By your logic PEDs don't give an advantage as not everyone on them wins. Do you think lance was the only one on drugs?

Putting. Full. Stops. In. A. Sentence. Proves. Nothing.

If trans women are women then there’s a serious problem for biological women in sports.

Right.We definitely shouldn’t be listening to women on this issue.

Considering you're 1) Male and 2) Irish I highly doubt they'd entertain your thoughts.

Why don't you head off on a nice relaxing cycling assuming you're actually a cyclist and not one of those gowls who complains about cyclists holding up traffic

• Advertisement

Considering you're 1) Male and 2) Irish I highly doubt they'd entertain your thoughts.

Why don't you head off on a nice relaxing cycling assuming you're actually a cyclist and not one of those gowls who complains about cyclists holding up traffic

Im sorry, did you just *assume* his sex? :eek:

he actually identifies as a pygmy for the purposes of thie thread.

Advertisement