Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

MJohnston wrote: »
    I don't really remember this complaint in this thread, tbh.

In fairness, there definitely was criticism, so SG is right on that. This is much improved from DB, they did a good job on it this time.

I'd disagree with the rest of what SG says though, Dublin Bus aren't held to a higher standard, people will be on here complaining about Irish Rail, GoAhead, anyone really. The only reason that complaints about Dublin Bus seem more prevalent is because there's more of them. That's not to say that Dublin Bus are worse than any other transport company, that's merely a result of the fact that Dublin Bus has more passengers than almost any other transport company in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,551 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I feel like most people here who constantly criticise Dublin Bus are pro-passenger, rather than anti-anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭john boye

SG317 wrote: »
    For those that were giving Dublin Bus an extremely hard time, for not posting the transfer of routes 45A, 59, 63 and 75, until the second day of the routes being operated by Go Ahead. Dublin Bus has announced in advance that routes 111, 184 and 185 will be operated by Go Ahead from tomorrow, they have even posted a picture of Go Ahead's logo. Interestingly enough though those same people that constantly blame Dublin Bus for just about everything eventhough it's not Dublin Bus's fault, I don't find them here now praising Dublin Bus for this move. Especially considering they have even mentioned there will be timetable changes. Maybe it just doesn't suit some people's anti-Dublin Bus agenda. Sorry for the rant, it is just frustrating how Dublin Bus is given such a hard time by some people and held to some ridiculously high standards compared to other operators and transport organisations.

With that username it kind of seems like it might be someone else who has an agenda

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I saw a GA bus last night on the 75. Why did it have different upholstery?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StreetLight

dfx- wrote: »

Was it a recent new-build ordered directly by the NTA for GA, rather than a transfer from DB?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

why not order it new with the same design?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 68,046 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

why not order it new with the same design?

Because the old moquette is DBs - they don't remove it from any buses sold/transferred (never did) but it is their design.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

Could have been ex-DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Could have been ex-DB.

The 2018 batch came with none yellow bars inside which they then had to change as to see them.

The seat covers are different too on the batch that came straight from wright.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 rorybyrne7

I have a friend who drives for GAI and he was telling me they are breaking the law by having drivers driving for 5 and a half hours without a break yet all cpc courses tell you it's 4 and 3 quarter hours for driving. They also don't pay over time if your rota is 44 or 45 hours long then they only pay you a flat rate for that many hours were drivers were told anything over 39 hours was paid at over time. These are a joke I don't think I be running to work for these people full of false promises.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,270 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

rorybyrne7 wrote: »
    I have a friend who drives for GAI and he was telling me they are breaking the law by having drivers driving for 5 and a half hours without a brake yet all cpc courses tell you it's 4 and 3 quarter hours for driving. They also don't pay over time if your rota is 44 or 45 hours long then they only pay you a flat rate for that many hours were drivers were told anything over 39 hours was paid at over time. These are a joke I don't think I be running to work for these people full of false promises.

Interesting that this is your first post.

I have a friend who drives for GAI and he tells me that they're are giving out gold bars to all the drivers.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

If The driver is driving for 5 hours 30 they they are not breaking the law as under EU Domestic driving hours they can drive for 5 hours 30 with out a break

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I have a friend who drives for GAI and he was telling me they are breaking the law by having drivers driving for 5 and a half hours without a brake ....

If you drove a bus without a brake, you'd be doing well to drive it for 5 minutes, let alone 5 and a half hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

If The driver is driving for 5 hours 30 they they are not breaking the law as under EU Domestic driving hours they can drive for 5 hours 30 with out a break

What about regular employment law that states you are legally entitled to a break after 4 and half hours of work ?

Bearing in mind, Dublin bus do this also so it's not new.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,366 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

What about regular employment law that states you are legally entitled to a break after 4 and half hours of work ?

The entitlement to a break simply means that you clock up the entitlement, it doesn't mean that you have to stop work after that time and cannot work a minute longer.

so why is this not up on the rsa web site that you can drive for this long do they not enforce the laws? If you had an accident and they founded that you drove over your 4 and 3 quarter hours would the gardai excuse you because your bosses said it was OK to do this?

CatInABox wrote: »
    Interesting that this is your first post.

I have a friend who drives for GAI and he tells me that they're are giving out gold bars to all the drivers.

I have just come across this thread!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

I thought trucks were covered under EU tacho regulatations but buses only covered under domestic regulatations.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Could have been ex-DB.

All ex DB buses still have DB interiors. Honestly it dosen't make a difference most London buses all have different upholstery depending on the company operating them.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    I thought trucks were covered under EU tacho regulatations but buses only covered under domestic regulatations.

not according to RSA web site I may be wrong I don't drive myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭soundman45

Dublin Bus and Go Ahead do not have to use tachograph for driving hours and are free to drive over 4hrs 30m at a time. Do Dublin bus drivers not do extra hours such as double days etc still. When i drove for them drivers on earlies would do a middle or late duty after finishing their duty and drivers on lates would do Nitelinks etc as overtime. Dunno about Go Ahead overtime but other operators pay flat hourly rates regardless of hours worked so its not uncommon. Also they are free to do so, so stop comparing them to Dublin Bus as they are 2 seperate companies with different pay rates and conditions . If your "friend" is unhappy why does he not drive for DB.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

soundman45 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus and Go Ahead do not have to use tachograph for driving hours and are free to drive over 4hrs 30m at a time. Do Dublin bus drivers not do extra hours such as double days etc still. When i drove for them drivers on earlies would do a middle or late duty after finishing their duty and drivers on lates would do Nitelinks etc as overtime. Dunno about Go Ahead overtime but other operators pay flat hourly rates regardless of hours worked so its not uncommon. Also they are free to do so, so stop comparing them to Dublin Bus as they are 2 seperate companies with different pay rates and conditions . If your "friend" is unhappy why does he not drive for DB.

Double days no not a hope anymore.

soundman45 wrote: »

who is comparing them to Dublin Bus ?
    All I was saying was I would not be in a hurry to work for GAI as they seem to be breaking a few laws and their pay is not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Kopparberg Strawberry and Lime

coylemj wrote: »
    The entitlement to a break simply means that you clock up the entitlement, it doesn't mean that you have to stop work after that time and cannot work a minute longer.

But this is my arguement, and I've had rows in Dublin bus over this

If I'm working for 4 and a half hours and want my break, which I did, I was told where to go with myself and flat out refused.

Why are they getting away with it !

All I was saying was I would not be in a hurry to work for GAI as they seem to be breaking a few laws and their pay is not great.

But they are not breaking any laws as far as I can see. Please let us know what laws they break and if you have valid proof of such why not complain to the relevant agencies about it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Not sure about the breaking the law bit but it's not like GAI lied about pay. Their operations manager said as much in an interview. Less than DB but typically more than private operators. I suspect many private operators still do another of cash in hand hence why they look so low but it doesn't change the fact that while low to DB it's not a terrible pay packet and obviously it's good enough or they wouldn't have gotten drivers in the current market. Having known a few drivers for private operators, I imagine some would happily jump over for steady pay and no messing with predictable hours week to week.

CramCycle wrote: »
    Not sure about the breaking the law bit but it's not like GAI lied about pay. Their operations manager said as much in an interview. Less than DB but typically more than private operators. I suspect many private operators still do another of cash in hand hence why they look so low but it doesn't change the fact that while low to DB it's not a terrible pay packet and obviously it's good enough or they wouldn't have gotten drivers in the current market. Having known a few drivers for private operators, I imagine some would happily jump over for steady pay and no messing with predictable hours week to week.

well you show me on the rsa web site where it shows that a driver can drive for 5 and a half hours before taking a break. I operate my own bus for school runs and have done for years and never heard this why don't they teach this on CPC courses. it's legal in England this domestic hours or whatever it is they call it but we are in Ireland Here.

well you show me on the rsa web site where it shows that a driver can drive for 5 and a half hours before taking a break. I operate my own bus for school runs and have done for years and never heard this why don't they teach this on CPC courses. it's legal in England this domestic hours or whatever it is they call it but we are in Ireland Here.

this is what I'm looking at

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,600 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Real Time seems to be working for the 111, 184, 185 at the moment, so certainly an improvement on the first phase!

• Advertisement

But this is my arguement, and I've had rows in Dublin bus over this

If I'm working for 4 and a half hours and want my break, which I did, I was told where to go with myself and flat out refused.

Why are they getting away with it !

You are not driving on a tacho so are not entitled to a break after 4.5 hours. If you drive for 5hrs 40m its a workout as per union agreement is it not????

Advertisement