Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Go-Ahead Dublin City Routes - Updates and Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭vectorvictor

GM228 wrote: »
    Surprised DB didn't remove them themselves seeing as how they are so caught up with protection of their identity.

To be fair all the driver side stuff was rebranded. The BAC bye law sign was on top of the top deck exit window . The wifi signs have been replaced (on stairs and upper deck but all were peeling away).

The furnishings were all DB and tbh the bus didn't get a deep clean (rusty window screws , etched graffiti and faded coverings)

I could ignore all that but had gotten very used to charger ports which obviously aren't there on most of these.

Driver was under instruction/being monitored on my last one. Both guys really polite, helpful and well presented.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

The mention of bye laws got me thinking, current BE, IE and DB bye laws are issued under the Transport Act 1950, wirh LUAS issued under the Transpprt (Railway Infrastructure) Act 2001. Both Acts give the CIE companies and TII the power to enact bye laws, but, currently there is no provision in law for the NTA/GA to make bye laws for GA services, wonder did the NTA overlook this and forget to lobby the Oireachtas for a legislative change.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭rx8

Apparently, the NTA overlooked another very important item.... THE FAREBOX MONEY.
    GAI are not obliged to count or pass it on to the NTA, as it's not seemingly in their contract. Sitting in a corner in bags in Ballymount, awaiting collection. Whenever the NTA gets around to it.

Also, the issue of DB looking after the lost property is an absolute joke. WTF are they smoking in O'Connell St. They say they can't afford to turn down the money they're being paid to collect it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

rx8 wrote: »
    Apparently, the NTA overlooked another very important item.... THE FAREBOX MONEY.
    GAI are not obliged to count or pass it on to the NTA, as it's not seemingly in their contract. Sitting in a corner in bags in Ballymount, awaiting collection. Whenever the NTA gets around to it.

Also, the issue of DB looking after the lost property is an absolute joke. WTF are they smoking in O'Connell St. They say they can't afford to turn down the money they're being paid to collect it.

Can't be too many corners in Ballymount :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭WomanSkirtFan8

New style bus stops on greystones main street now this morning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

GM228 wrote: »
    The mention of bye laws got me thinking, current BE, IE and DB bye laws are issued under the Transport Act 1950, wirh LUAS issued under the Transpprt (Railway Infrastructure) Act 2001. Both Acts give the CIE companies and TII the power to enact bye laws, but, currently there is no provision in law for the NTA/GA to make bye laws for GA services, wonder did the NTA overlook this and forget to lobby the Oireachtas for a legislative change.

There are draft NTA bye-laws in circulation,largely identical to the 1999 BAC ones.

This has not been overlooked,but may well be trapped in an administrative log-jam awaiting a swift Ministerial Signature ?

It's not important until there is an "issue" which requires legal power to pursue...then it will be rapidly addressed.... ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

New style bus stops on greystones main street now this morning.

New style as in DB stops removed and replaced with the new TFI style of bus stops or the DB logos simply replaced with the TFI Bus logo which can be seen on most stops along the 45a, 59, 63 and 75 routes.

Stephen15 wrote: »
    New style as in DB stops removed and replaced with the new TFI style of bus stops or the DB logos simply replaced with the TFI Bus logo which can be seen on most stops along the 45a, 59, 63 and 75 routes.

yes but its the first time i've seen them out here :)

yes but its the first time i've seen them out here :)

Just wondering

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭BowWow

Saw my first GA double decker today (not many out in Howth area), was out this way on driver training. Blue colour looks much better in the flesh than it does in pictures. Actually don't like the amount of yellow on the bus, to be honest I don't know why there is any requirement for yellow. If it was necessary would it not be on buses worldwide?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

These bus stops are extremely hard to see at night from a bus drivers perspective. Needless to say, people with no experience of driving a bus designed them.

I hope they brighten them up a bit. I missed a stop last week . Yellow was perfect . Now its complete darkness when mixed in with trees .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

These bus stops are extremely hard to see at night from a bus drivers perspective. Needless to say, people with no experience of driving a bus designed them.

I hope they brighten them up a bit. I missed a stop last week . Yellow was perfect . Now its complete darkness when mixed in with trees .

Imagine what it was like when the stops were dark blue.

A reflective strip or 2 down low on the pole would really help at night.

Bus eireann stops have these strips up high on the pole.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Imagine what it was like when the stops were dark blue.

A reflective strip or 2 down low on the pole would really help at night.

Bus eireann stops have these strips up high on the pole.

Thats a great idea. One that should be suggested. I have over 12 routes as a spare driver with variations . Some you get every week other you get once every two months. Its hard to remember all the stops.

Seems strange they would make it more difficult to spot them. But thats the NTA for ya.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

rx8 wrote: »

:eek::eek:

I still think it's mental that Go-Ahead only have one depot based in Ballymount and no outstations grand for the likes of the 17, 18, 75/a, 175 and the 76 but crazy for the likes of the 33a/b, 184 and 185 and other routes which serve only South and North Dublin Ballymount is not a great location.

Go-Ahead wanted to turn the old ferry terminal in DL into an outstation for 20 buses similar to the way DB have D/brook buses based out in Bray but were wrongly refused planning permission while the ferry terminal currently lies idle.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ferry terminal is being converted to offices and a restaurant now

• Registered Users Posts: 9,930 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Is there any prospect of the GAI being integrated into google maps?

L1011 wrote: »

The tarmac could be used to park buses

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

No point in putting that in place, while looking for something else to do, when there's no garentee an alternative will be available before the planned work begins.

No point in putting that in place, while looking for something else to do, when there's no garentee an alternative will be available before the planned work begins.

Are they planning to build on the tarmac?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

L1011 wrote: »

There was already a restaurant on the HSS terminal.It closed recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭tabbey

Trouble with parking any vehicles at the harbour, is the salt in the air, causing rust to develop more rapidly than in Ballymount.

However it is operationally inefficient to run buses on routes 59,63, 45A etc, from a base in Ballymount.

Somewhere like the Stillorgan, Leopardstown, Sandyford industrial estate would be suitable, but unfortunately more costly.

tabbey wrote: »
    Trouble with parking any vehicles at the harbour, is the salt in the air, causing rust to develop more rapidly than in Ballymount.

However it is operationally inefficient to run buses on routes 59,63, 45A etc, from a base in Ballymount.

Somewhere like the Stillorgan, Leopardstown, Sandyford industrial estate would be suitable, but unfortunately more costly.

Didn't think of that but I guess it's valid reasoning however would Clontarf buses not be effected by this considering the depot is near the sea and they park some buses overnight in the car park across the road. I hope they get their issues at the moment sorted out and their only teething issues if in the long run they aren't up to scratch I hope the NTA will be swift to act.

I can't figure out how they allocate buses either it appears they are allocating them at random at the moment and routes don't have any set allocations I don't think this is that efficient. Anytime I pass by DL DART station since the switchover where there was once a line of DB buses laying over the terminus there is now usually a DB bus from the 46a and one or two GAI buses compared to about 5 or 6 DB laying over the terminus and about 5 or 6 GAI drivers waiting for to take over buses which have not yet arrived.

When DB were operating those services there would always usually be a driver to every bus and buses would remain parked up while drivers were on a break but appears now GAI is keeping buses out on the road. I can understand from a commercial point of view why they are doing this but buses should be at they're terminus when they are needed. They just seem a little badly organised at the moment. DB also used to have an inspector in DL making sure things were running as smoothly as possible and buses and drivers were where they should be.

Plenty places in Bray....

Old Dell and few other places even better left laying years empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,816 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Plenty places in Bray....

Old Dell and few other places even better left laying years empty.

Yeah but the traffic to get in and out of Bray is massively congested already

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Not out the top end. Sure when the buses would be going out to start there is no traffic and even with traffic is much closer and quicker then where they are.

Not at the southern cross end of bray, although that roundabout coming in from greystones to bray does tend to get busy between 8am and 9am in the morning.

the former Dell site there on the boghall road would be a good placed to have a secondary depot for go ahead ireland.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,540 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Is there any prospect of the GAI being integrated into google maps?

I'd like to know this as well, I got a 75 last night but it was no thanks to Google maps, which thinks the route doesn't exist any more. It also doesn't think the other routes which switched to GAI exist any more either.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

You can ask Google about that, as they're the ones that control the data. They're generally pretty quick, but far from instant.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,781 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

tabbey wrote: »
    There was already a restaurant on the HSS terminal.It closed recently.

Well, there's one going in as part of the redevelopment

https://www.daft.ie/dublin/commercial-property-for-rent/restaurant-hotel-bar-for-rent/st-michales-pier-dun-laoghaire-dublin-735193/

Advertisement