Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So Michael D IS running again!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

blackwhite wrote: »
    Peter Casey throwing out the Hail Mary passes at this stage to try and get any votes

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/presidential-election-2018/listen-presidential-candidate-peter-casey-believes-travellers-should-not-be-recognised-as-an-ethnic-minority-37428508.html

Whether people agree with his view or now - the vast majority also know that such comments aren’t exactly “Presidential”

His comments are being called racist, and being asked to drop out of the race because of them is a step too far, and I think will actually give him a bounce.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Hurrache wrote: »
    His comments are being called racist, and being asked to drop out of the race because of them is a step too far, and I think will actually give him a bounce.

So he might hit 3%?

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

Sure, someone running for President of Ireland (sorry, majority Ireland) only wants to remove ethnic minority status from an ethnic minority because they bring down the tone of the place. What could possibly be construed as racist about that?

There are serious issues around integrating an indigenous minority into the rest of the population. There are serious issues around crime, health and the treatment of women. Casey went for a lazy dogwhistle rather than actually suggest anything meaningful though. He's back to the bottom of my list anyway. Although tbf he never got particularly high on it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭sliabh 1956

I was wondering who to give my number 2 to Casey your the Man you rascal you.

I don't think it's racist to say they shouldn't have been given ethnic minority status. Did he say he wants to remove that status?

But I'm not saying he should have said it, nor am I going any further into that quagmire of a discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭Rhineshark

I don't think it's racist to say they shouldn't have been given ethnic minority status. Did he say he wants to remove that status?

But I'm not saying he should have said it, nor am I going any further into that quagmire of a discussion.

He said they should not have it, which yes, is actually close enough when running for President.

Tbh, you brought up the point regarding the appropriateness of what he said. In my view, it was deeply inappropriate and indicates he should not be running for President if he doesn't want to be a president to all Irish citizens.

Mind you, can see the dogwhistle worked for some in the thread. And that is all it was - a hail Mary for support by having a go at the wasy target of Travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Rhineshark wrote: »
    He said they should not have it, which yes, is actually close enough when running for President.

Tbh, you brought up the point regarding the appropriateness of what he said. In my view, it was deeply inappropriate and indicates he should not be running for President if he doesn't want to be a president to all Irish citizens.

Mind you, can see the dogwhistle worked for some in the thread. And that is all it was - a hail Mary for support by having a go at the wasy target of Travellers.

Michael D handled it great on morning Ireland this morning imho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

Casey shoring up the boards.ie votes I see

In fairness I didn't bring up the appropriateness of his comments, which I do agree wasn't. And it's been a quiet enough whistle, so far, it's just brought one person to the party.

I think the man is abhorrent, which is plain from what I've posted about him. But I also see why a certain demographic would buy into him as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,678 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    Casey has my vote!

Seriously though, i won't be voting for Michael D

He had his 7 years

What do you mean by that the limit for presidents is 2 terms so 14 years.

He's perfectly entitled to run for another 7.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Its anyone but Michael D for me

Not taking part in the debate means he is not credible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

naughtb4 wrote: »

A debate. How many presidential tv debates do we actually need?

Try_harder wrote: »
    A debate. How many presidential tv debates do we actually need?

It depends on how seriously you take the presidency?

What has he done to get a 70% share of the vote?

He has been there for 7 years, he said he would stay 7 years

Do we really have to retread this tired childish argument?

The only people sticking to it are using it because they simply do not like the man or his politics.

Have you never changed your mind about something 7 years after the fact?

Also if not taking part in the debate removes his credibility I assume you would not then be voting for sean gallagher either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,610 ✭✭✭eastwest

On the contrary, not bring involved in a Q&A session with clare Byrne raises him further in my estimation.
    Debate, what debate?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,189 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Did Ni Riada resign as an MEP to run for President?
    After the election, will this trigger an election for her seat, or will it remain vacant untill the next round of EU elections?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

So by 'seriously', do you mean he should honour previously agreed engagements as part of his role, yes?

In which case, he didn't take part in the debate, because he was too busy... being the President. So looks like he can't win really.

https://president.ie/en/diary/past-engagements

VinLieger wrote: »
    Do we really have to retread this tired childish argument?

The only people sticking to it are using it because they simply do not like the man or his politics.

Have you never changed your mind about something 7 years after the fact?

Also if not taking part in the debate removes his credibility I assume you would not then be voting for sean gallagher either?

And i wont be

He has been there 7 years, I want to see some achievements

To be honest , who I vote for wont make a difference, he is so far ahead

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    After the election, will this trigger an election for her seat, or will it remain vacant untill the next round of EU elections?

No she doesnt need to resign to run. If she did win (hah) the seat would be filled by someone of her or her parties choice until the next election afaik. There is no special elections for MEP seats.

He has been there 7 years, I want to see some achievements

Achievements like?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Peter casey being attacked in the indo and on the journal thismorning for saying travellers arent an ethnic minority and are 'basically people camping on somebody elses land' , also in a journal quiz yesterday he was the only one to not just up and agree with a blanket amnesty for those in direct provision to remain.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day i suppose.

Peter casey being attacked in the indo and on the journal thismorning for saying travellers arent an ethnic minority and are 'basically people camping on somebody elses land' , also in a journal quiz yesterday he was the only one to not just up and agree with a blanket amnesty for those in direct provision to remain.

Even a broken clock is right twice a day i suppose.

A lot of people will agree with him re travellers however I still think many will still view him as a complete con artist and asshole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 796 ✭✭✭Sycamore Tree

Peter Casey has started the inevitable transition to right wing government. I can see him gaining in the polls now and giving more confidence to those who want to set up a right wing party in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

Have to say I agree with Casey...might even give him my 1 or 2 now. At least he tells it how he see's it. Love the way Pavee point are straight out to condemn. However when travellers do something wrong them stay stump...

I agree with him re travvellers however no way would I ever vote for him as every impression i have of the man is he is still a conniving, self serving, human piece of garbage

Peter Casey has started the inevitable transition to right wing government. I can see him gaining in the polls now and giving more confidence to those who want to set up a right wing party in Ireland.

Well I don't believe that's at all true. Have you seen how the other attempts at far right politics in Ireland went?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,058 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

Yeah he's clearly Trump and Farage rolled into one.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Nekarsulm wrote: »

AFAIK an MEP is supposed to have a pre-nominated alternate named so if they resign their seat, or die during the term, the alternate automatically assumes their seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

He's right though, a blanket amnesty for asylum seekers would be insane, but somehow it's wrong to say that.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,060 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

blackwhite wrote: »
    AFAIK an MEP is supposed to have a pre-nominated alternate named so if they resign their seat, or die during the term, the alternate automatically assumes their seat.

We have this to thank for catapulting the then-unknown Paul Murphy onto the national political stage.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Advertisement