Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brexit discussion thread IV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Clare in Exile

So to cut through it all, what do people think will happen? Will we get a Backstop without a time limit, or will the EU give in to UK demands and insert some kind of limit?

Seems to me we've got firm allies in the EU on this issue, hopefully it's not all just optics.

I feel that it will go down to the wire, and that ultimately May will have enough numbers to jettison the DUP (who I'm sure she regrets ever getting in to bed with), if some Labour MPs vote with the Government in an effort to avoid a No Deal Brexit.

Great thread, providing brilliant commentary on events as they unfold...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,101 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Jon Craig says on Sky News that these particular talks are at an end and will not resume......Raab already returning to London and will not be back in Brussels

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Rain Ascending

Strazdas wrote: »
    Jon Craig says on Sky News that these particular talks are at an end and will not resume......Raab already returning to London and will not be back in Brussels

If this is true, watch Sterling tomorrow morning...

We're getting dangerously close to No Deal now and it could be on us within a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

In fairness to the EU they're not putting much pressure on us in terms of a time limit on the backstop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,903 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Brinkmanship possibly with Raab?

I doubt this is the end of it yet.

It seems May is going to have to make a major concession at the actual summit this week in order to stave off No Deal.....this is really going down to the wire. If the UK cannot concede, then a November summit is pointless. Crunch time has arrived.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Panrich

It's already started

https://www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=GBP&to=EUR&view=1D

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I don't perceive Raab to be bluffing when he says he won't support the backstop in its current form. He's very much influenced by ERG types. I recall a few months back when he was appointed, it was noted that his Twitter feed was made up of die-hard Brexiteers. He's been quite strong in denouncing the backstop whenever I've heard him talk about it.

What I'm wondering is what happens if Raab does a David Davis and resigns? Can the UK government survive the resignation of the Brexit secretary at this late stage in the talks? Does May appoint Olly Robbins to the role who seems to be doing much of the work behind the scenes (and who many Brexiteers hate)? Could she step in and take on the role herself? I can't see how things can continue if Raab departs, which is probably the last roll of the dice for the Brexiteers who want to scupper a compromise.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Panrich wrote: »

Great just got invited to a wedding in the UK on the 30th of March. Do I book flights now , what happens if planes can't fly do I get a refund ? Does the refund include my hotel. Nightmare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,488 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Its no real surprise. The Brexit talks have been on this trajectory since the last UK general election.

Great just got invited to a wedding in the UK on the 30th of March. Do I book flights now , what happens if planes can't fly do I get a refund ? Does the refund include my hotel. Nightmare

Be very careful about booking anything. There are already warnings that there might be no refunds for cancelled flights or holidays if there is a No Deal. Hold off booking anything for as long as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Rain Ascending

Agreed -- this is definitely not the end. For various reasons (*), it has to get bumpy over the next few days for a WA deal to be reached. Buckle up, turbulence ahead!

(*) See this tweet:
    https://twitter.com/GeorgeWParker/status/1051531699920805888

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Foster apparently to meet Varadkar tomorrow, and May hasn't shown her the text of the apparent backstop agreement despite Foster asking for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,502 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I think the country needs to get ready.

There probably won't be a deal now in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭catrionanic

I still think a deal may be coming. We always knew all along that May would have to leave it so close to the wire that the Brexiteers wouldn't have time to torpedo things. I was sceptical that they would announce tonight of a deal being done, because it would give the ERG, DUP et al. too much time to kick up a fuss. Plus, all this posturing and drama and last-minute crisis palaver will add to the ruse of May pushing the EU to their absolute limits, and emerging from the jaws of Brussels at the eleventh hour with a hard-won deal under her belt. "Bloody difficult woman" and all that.

It isn't over yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,051 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I still think a deal may be coming. We always knew all along that May would have to leave it so close to the wire that the Brexiteers wouldn't have time to torpedo things. I was sceptical that they would announce tonight of a deal being done, because it would give the ERG, DUP et al. too much time to kick up a fuss. Plus, all this posturing and drama and last-minute crisis palaver will add to the ruse of May pushing the EU to their absolute limits, and emerging from the jaws of Brussels at the eleventh hour with a hard-won deal under her belt. "Bloody difficult woman" and all that.

It isn't over yet.

Yep and call an election on that basis. She needs rid if the DUP but she also needs some sort of mandate from the people. No other way. She'll be 'all in' on Wednesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,292 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

A no deal is going to an absolute disaster for us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,991 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

It must be near time for the EU to walk away from the negotiating table now. A year on and we're no further forward. No point in them wasting any more time or effort on May, she's clearly unable to deliver an outcome that will gain parliamentary approval.

The EU should simply now say that all avenues have been exhausted and all possible options are already on the table - the UK can advise which one they want to take up when they are ready, if any.*

*and then quietly make arrangements for a short turnaround on an Article 50 extension - but only on the basis that it would facilitate a general election or a second referendum to avoid a full crash out by the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,803 ✭✭✭An Ciarraioch

Now London pausing talks until the summit:

https://mobile.twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1051555706623680516

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,143 ✭✭✭✭Water John

That the final difficulties would be hammered out at PM level wouldn't surprise me, even from a visual POV.

I get a spidey feeling that there will be a deal, but the EU accept that for optics the UK have to be seen to have won concessions.

It is a game and that is all. I reckon this was all figured out ages ago.

The DUP will not figure in this, they might huff and puff but they have no real power. OK they can bring down the Government, but will they do that?

If they do, their so called power is gone forever anyway. IMV of course

• Registered Users Posts: 67,051 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I get a spidey feeling that there will be a deal, but the EU accept that for optics the UK have to be seen to have won concessions.

It is a game and that is all. I reckon this was all figured out ages ago.

The DUP will not figure in this, they might huff and puff but they have no real power. OK they can bring down the Government, but will they do that?

If they do, their so called power is gone forever anyway. IMV of course

The DUP have one shot only. And after Wednesday it won't matter if it hits or not. Election time.

It must be near time for the EU to walk away from the negotiating table now. A year on and we're no further forward. No point in them wasting any more time or effort on May, she's clearly unable to deliver an outcome that will gain parliamentary approval.

The EU should simply now say that all avenues have been exhausted and all possible options are already on the table - the UK can advise which one they want to take up when they are ready, if any.*

*and then quietly make arrangements for a short turnaround on an Article 50 extension - but only on the basis that it would facilitate a general election or a second referendum to avoid a full crash out by the UK.

We, the EU, anyone who isn't 'the UK Govt negotiators', cannot give up on trying to negotiate the best possible exit from the EU that the UK can achieve.

Allowing the UK to unilaterally damage itself while offering the EU as those in charge of fault would be long term damaging. Of course, if the UK govt cannot be made see sense, the negotiations will end up nowhere. But there is no way at all that the EU can ever leave them.

They must work hard, at every opportunity, to get the UK govt to understand the damage it is doing to itself and its neighbours, and to almot force / coerce it to explain each and every step to the UK electorate at large.

If the EU 'leave' the negotiating table early, we will all have been failed. Not that we're not terribly close to such at present in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,196 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

lawred2 wrote: »
    A no deal is going to an absolute disaster for us
    The other option is to call the whole thing off. But that would mean somebody other than May in charge. I don't see the EU diluting the backstop. There would be no point and it would weaken the EU. May has pointed herself into a corner that she can't get out of and hasn't the strength to deal with the ERG and their fellow travellers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭EdgeCase

I don’t think we are quite understanding the attitudes in the UK. Most people seem to be totally fed up discussing Brexit and there hasn’t really been a whole lot of shifting of the position.

Most of them really don’t see this at all from the perspective that we do and a lot of British people genuinely perceive the EU as being completely at odds with sovereignty and simply haven’t ever considered it to be anything positive. I don’t agree with those attitudes but that’s what many of them think.

My spidey sense is saying that may will be ousted and that we are going into a perfect storm that will see the UK in a political brawl that will crash out in March.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The EU has not the slightest interest in making concessions to the UK. The EU has always helped member states in selling union-wide initiatives to their electorates. It has no reason to care how the UK government deals with its internal problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

prawnsambo wrote: »
    The other option is to call the whole thing off. But that would mean somebody other than May in charge. I don't see the EU diluting the backstop. There would be no point and it would weaken the EU. May has pointed herself into a corner that she can't get out of and hasn't the strength to deal with the ERG and their fellow travellers.

A change of Tory leader/PM won't improve matters as the front runners are Johnson, Hunt, Javid and Mogg.

First Up wrote: »
    The EU has not the slightest interest in making concessions to the UK. The EU has always helped member states in selling union-wide initiatives to their electorates. It has no reason to care how the UK government deals with its internal problems.

Read my post again. I did not say that the EU would make concessions, but rather the optics of concessions would be there. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Read my post again. I did not say that the EU would make concessions, but rather the optics of concessions would be there.

The EU has no interest in the optics of concessions either.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement