Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary march October 2018

Options
  • 29-09-2018 8:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭

There is a march in Tipperary on October 20th 2018 to highlight the unemployment and the lack of investment in Tipperary town. My question is after the march what is Tipperary town expecting. There is no agenda other than look at our poor town. What do Tipperary marchers expect to happen after October 20th ? If there is no phase 2 plan after the march why bother having a march or a day out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Who is organising the march?
    Surely the organisers will look to be getting publicity about the issue and will be talking to local representatives and then use the publicity around the march to kick off the next phase of protest?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,028 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

What is going on in the car park of Dunnes in the vacant building?
    There are signs saying 'SKY Innovation'.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Einstein A. Gogo

cordangan wrote: »
    There is a march in Tipperary on October 20th 2018 to highlight the unemployment and the lack of investment in Tipperary town. My question is after the march what is Tipperary town expecting. There is no agenda other than look at our poor town. What do Tipperary marchers expect to happen after October 20th ? If there is no phase 2 plan after the march why bother having a march or a day out?
    So what's your solution? Just sit back and do nothing? Like the Council, Councillors and Politicians are doing?

Nothing. It's all bull**** from Alan Kelly. He's saying it has been renovated and is ready for the IDA to take it over. A quick look in the windows shows that it's bull****.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cordangan

Lets ask the question, what in your opinion is killing the town. Is it a multiple of factors? Let us look at neighboring towns that appear to be doing ok. Cashel and Cahir would be my suggestions. They both have a bypass. They both have a relatively good selection of industry. They have additional tourism with the castles. They have excellent strong organised local support groups with a good voice for their towns. Tipp has grown on the outskirts and died in the middle. Supermacs, Dunnes,Tesco,with Aldi and Lidl propping up the main street. Parking killed Wellworths along with the decentralization of the businesses and the closing down of the surrounding busineses on the main street. The buildings on the main street are in an advanced state of disrepair and I hear the rates are high for businesses but I do not have comparisons. I understand the march will highlight the problem but what do Tipp want and what are the next steps after the march for the future of Tipp town? I would like to see a strong guiding committee formed and not just a committee full of business people with their own interests but a committee genuinely after the towns and the people of the towns interests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭incentsitive

I knew it would be political point scoring of some sort at the root of it....

These are the people who vote Michael Lowry, a man who typifies the corruption and brown envelope culture of this country, and Matty McGrath, a man who stands up and talks absolute JARGON at every opportunity in the Dail. Alan Kelly, a man whose legacy will be leaving us with the bloated quango that is Irish Water.

What is killing all small towns is the lack of support from locals, online shopping, people going shopping in Dublin/Cork/Limerick/etc, and rates making starting businesses financially nonviable.

But if you are voting for the above gombeens, you reap what you sow.

100% agree. These are the facts of what Tipp is up against. Do we stop voting, will that help, well we need a voice? Who can we rely on to make things happen? Do we vote with our conscience for the good of the country or vote for our town (parish pump politics) and be selfish to make things happen? A local native Dan Breen was once asked why did Tipp take it into their own hands to start a civil war and he declared that the people of Tipperary felt they were doing the 'right thing' for the people. I'm not inciting violence or anything of the sort but we do need a strong voice to air our requirements and make things happen. What I am asking is do we know what we want, what is the plan and how do we propose to implement this plan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭Expunge

I think a more robust approach is indeed an option! Let's call it 'direct action'.

Tipp town has been f**ked over for generations now and is in an awful state. It has been ignored by all politicians, except it's own local ones and maybe Mattie McGrath, who has delivered nothing for Tipp really.

Also, this is a fight that really should be played out in Nenagh and/or Clonmel where Tipp CO CO is headquartered. Tipp Town people need to get right in to the faces of those who actually run the council on a regular basis and make their lives very, very uncomfortable.

If nothing much happens after this march except a letting off of steam, it'll be time to up the ante and take a few ideas from the Dan Breen playbook.

This is a war for resources and Tipp Town is loosing out badly. Time for a proper fight back.

Expunge wrote: »
    I think a more robust approach is indeed an option! Let's call it 'direct action'.

Tipp town has been f**ked over for generations now and is in an awful state. It has been ignored by all politicians, except it's own local ones and maybe Mattie McGrath, who has delivered nothing for Tipp really.

Also, this is a fight that really should be played out in Nenagh and/or Clonmel where Tipp CO CO is headquartered. Tipp Town people need to get right in to the faces of those who actually run the council on a regular basis and make their lives very, very uncomfortable.

If nothing much happens after this march except a letting off of steam, it'll be time to up the ante and take a few ideas from the Dan Breen playbook.

This is a war for resources and Tipp Town is loosing out badly. Time for a proper fight back.

Plenty of threats, not 1 reasonable proposal......what exactly should happen?

Plenty of threats, not 1 reasonable proposal......what exactly should happen?

I'd rather not say here. Something spectacular. It's time for making headlines

• Advertisement

I heard that this area is now on the IDA books for development now whereas before one would have to go through a lot of red tape to put a business in place. Interesting on 2 notes ....Did the proposed march in October push this development on and is this development just another pie in the sky as earlier suggested?

I heard that this area is now on the IDA books for development now whereas before one would have to go through a lot of red tape to put a business in place. Interesting on 2 notes ....Did the proposed march in October push this development on and is this development just another pie in the sky as earlier suggested?
    There seemed to be cars and people around there last week.

Expunge wrote: »
    I'd rather not say here. Something spectacular. It's time for making headlines

So, basically you don't have a ******g clue but want to rant about something?

So, basically you don't have a ******g clue but want to rant about something?

Look mate, your great insight seems to be to urge people not to vote for gombeens. How has that worked out so far in the history of the Irish State?

I'm urging you and people like you to turn it up many, many knotches from there.
    If you don't want to, fine. You can go back to lecturing people about their voting habits instead.

So what are you proposing then, thrashing half of Tipperary town to show your outrage? Why don't you tell us what you are on about instead of waffling about voting habits, etc.

So what are you proposing then, thrashing half of Tipperary town to show your outrage? Why don't you tell us what you are on about instead of waffling about voting habits, etc.
    With respect, friend, it was your good self who was tut tutting about voting for gombeens and pulling your pud about shopping on Amazon.
    If thrashing is required, and it may well be, Tipp town is not the place for it - Nenagh and Clonmel would be better.
    Think of the success of the Water Charges protests.
    Disruption on the doorsteps of those who matter might get somewhere.
    The March4Tipp is fine and all but it's way past time for just a few marches.

Anyway, unfortunately Tipp town already looks like it's been thrashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

To be fair to the organizers, they've set out their 'wish-list'.

1. Grant 'deis' status to the primary schools
    2. Council change the plan to remove parking spaces for residents on the limerick road (davitt st)
    3.Bypass
    4. Sort out the roads within 6 months
    5.establish a task force to deal with the unemployment (34% V 7% nationally)
    6.maintain the recreation centre
    7.keep the mount sion open
    8. 2 hour free parking
    9. Council maintain the listed buildings

Some of it's achievable. some of it is pie in the sky.

Cant fault the organisers. There's a real sense of disillusionment in the town. The closure of wellworths seems to have been the final straw..

^^ Do they want a bypass or not want one?

Nothing. It's all bull**** from Alan Kelly. He's saying it has been renovated and is ready for the IDA to take it over. A quick look in the windows shows that it's bull****.

Alan kelly seems to be the 'fall guy' for everything....
    Honestly think most of it is from the ' we wont pay, you pay for us' brigade from the irish water debacle.
    Dunno anything about the sky park. Think its just a mr price warehouse.

But why should none of the other public reps get mentioned ? *

*I'm not a kelly voter

^^ Do they want a bypass or not want one?

Want a bypass that was planned out a decade ago. it was from bansha to pallasgreen.

Then the crash came.....

A few years back there was a mini bypass proposed that'd go from the royal hotel to connect with the 'supermacs' roundabout.

The residents of canon hayes park and other areas objected and the councillors voted against it too.

personally, I think it should've gone ahead

• Advertisement

I would have thought they'd argue that a bypass would take all the business from the town.

I would have thought they'd argue that a bypass would take all the business from the town.

Dont think anybody is of that opinion.

Place is choked up, roads are in sh1t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 tipptown78

While I have some sympathy for the people of Tipperary Town, the protest hasn't a hope of getting some of those things listed on their wishlist.

1. Grant 'deis' status to the primary schools.
    This is probably the most achievable item.

2. Council change the plan to remove parking spaces for residents on the limerick road (davitt st).
    This decision was made 2/3 years ago, when the decision was made was the time to protest, not when the tender is gone out.

3.Bypass
    I doubt will happen in any of our lifetimes. No mention in the Ireland 2040 plan so its a dead duck.

The tender process alone would take 6 months

If you or I was setting up a business, would you choose Tipperary Town when Limerick is 20 minutes in the road? Lets call a spade a spade, the population in Tipperary Town wouldn't be classed as skilled workers. The best they could hope for is a monotonous assembly line or a call centre.

The Canon Hayes Centre doesn't exactly help itself, when other facilities/gyms opened in the town, it showed people what should be expected. I know the centre itself is an excellent facility to have in any town but it cannot keep relying on hand outs. If I was running a business that wasn't viable, I wouldn't expect funding left, right and centre to keep it going

The last I heard there was 6 residents in the building. I can only imagine the cost of staffing the place as well as maintaining it. The residents would probably be better off relocated to other residential care facilities.

8. 2 hour free parking
    It will never happen. If the council agreed to it, it would only open a can of worms and every other town would demand the same.

Why should the council? Why shouldn’t the owners be held responsible? The council already offer grant funding under the Built Heritage Investment Scheme and Structures at Risk fund for maintenance of protected structures as well as other funding available from the Heritage Council.

tipptown 78 that is a very sobering analysis for the proposed march.

1. Grant 'deis' status to the primary schools.
    This is probably the most achievable item.
    (I had to look up what deis was and if this is the most achievable item from this list then a march is a bit of an overkill perhaps?)

2. Council change the plan to remove parking spaces for residents on the limerick road (davitt st).
    This decision was made 2/3 years ago, when the decision was made was the time to protest, not when the tender is gone out.
    (I agree the protest delay is against the residents but how many are actual homeowners there now? Was there proper notification offered to residents and were they given a proper platform to raise their concerns....or was it steamrolled through....there MAY be an outlet here but homework needs to be done in advance of the request).

3.Bypass
    I doubt will happen in any of our lifetimes. No mention in the Ireland 2040 plan so its a dead duck.
    (I agree here with you. Original proposal in 'tiger times' were 3 route ways and property bought and sold as developers gambled on final selection. Latest mini bypass would seriously affect the long established Canon Hayes park residents. The mini-bypass is an offering that not many living in the park find acceptable.) There is no known alternative so take it or leave it. Probably linked to the parking in that the flow of traffic is so poor that parking areas are severely curtailed. Funny observation last week when lights faild and traffic flowed far smoother with drivers been more courteous.)

The tender process alone would take 6 months.
    (Only for the bicycle race coming through the town the roads would be worse. Again Tipp has no voice. Need a proper plan for continuous road repairs not just a once off road repair 6 months after the October march. Cannot be marching every 6 months).

If you or I was setting up a business, would you choose Tipperary Town when Limerick is 20 minutes in the road? Lets call a spade a spade, the population in Tipperary Town wouldn't be classed as skilled workers. The best they could hope for is a monotonous assembly line or a call centre.
    (35% is incredible in this day. I would like to see the breakdown as to whether it is through disability or not. Employers cannot get enough workers whether it is skilled or non-skilled right now. This is a rot that only the people themselves can work as a community to overcome. Task force essential and there should be steady stepped targets set for the force. The task force selection would be key to the success).

The Canon Hayes Centre doesn't exactly help itself, when other facilities/gyms opened in the town, it showed people what should be expected. I know the centre itself is an excellent facility to have in any town but it cannot keep relying on hand outs. If I was running a business that wasn't viable, I wouldn't expect funding left, right and centre to keep it going.
    (Brilliant facility. The local towns and villages invested in indoor and outdoor football/tennis and Gym facilities. Take the Gym as an example. Why is it cheaper/better to set up you own gym in a rural village than offer the operator a chance to take a share in an already established Gym. Is it bureaucracy or is it insurance or a committee that has seen the rise of all these external facilities at great costs and sat on their hands and done nothing? I remember booking well in advance the main hall or hoping for a cancellation whereas now it is so rarely used. A viewing gallery and no events arranged to view. Rant over).

The last I heard there was 6 residents in the building. I can only imagine the cost of staffing the place as well as maintaining it. The residents would probably be better off relocated to other residential care facilities.
    (If this is the case then review the accounts and present to task force to come up with alternative plan within an agreed time or this is doomed to close...simple).

8. 2 hour free parking
    It will never happen. If the council agreed to it, it would only open a can of worms and every other town would demand the same.
    (I say open the can of worms. The council have watched long enough the towns demise. Do the council have a long term/short term plan or do they wing it? I'd love to see what the plan was from 2015 onward - was the plan realistic and what projects were realised from that plan in that time period?) If the council are elected by the people for a voice in how the town is run then why is there a march? Have they run out of ideas or have all their plans fell on deaf ears and they have no power?)

Why should the council? Why shouldn’t the owners be held responsible? The council already offer grant funding under the Built Heritage Investment Scheme and Structures at Risk fund for maintenance of protected structures as well as other funding available from the Heritage Council.
    (I agree. I think the council should have a say on how our town is maintained and if they do not own the building then they should pressure the owners to maintain the building. Huge problem everywhere on ownership responsibilities and buying with no intention to develop. The fact that council reps do not have a say is disappointing.)

Lets ask th I would like to see a strong guiding committee formed and not just a committee full of business people with their own interests but a committee genuinely after the towns and the people of the towns interests.
    You seem to have a strong opinion so why not geta involved instead of hurling from the ditch?

A simple look at the IDA website and a look in the windows of the premises shows that most of what Alan Kelly said during the week is totally untrue. It's shocking how he's misleading the people of Tipperary.

You seem to have a strong opinion so why not geta involved instead of hurling from the ditch?
    This is an action group full of positive people as they should be. I admire their efforts and the fact that they are investing their spare time in this cause for our town is a measure of their commitment. I admire that they have taken a huge first step in seeking recognition for the town. I do question the 9 'demands' outlined in their leaflet and query what is the next phase when most of the demands are not met. I'm not a politician or affiliated to any particular party, I'm not part of any working committee and my working schedule does not give me the time that an action group deserves. I will take time off to support the march and jump off the ditch at 2 o clock on October 20th.
    I've seen many new people join groups with with great intentions but no power within the group and after years in the group they are consumed by the politics and have forgotten the reasons why they joined to make a difference. I hope this action group do not give up. I would like to see a strong leader within the action group rise up for the people of the town and give Tipp town a voice that will be heard. I want to see a workable, progressive and responsible long term plan put in place for the town. Having said all that if the people come out and march for their town and demonstrate that they want a change ....I will seriously consider taking a vested interest.....so good question :)

I knew it would be political point scoring of some sort at the root of it....

These are the people who vote Michael Lowry, a man who typifies the corruption and brown envelope culture of this country, and Matty McGrath, a man who stands up and talks absolute JARGON at every opportunity in the Dail. Alan Kelly, a man whose legacy will be leaving us with the bloated quango that is Irish Water.

What is killing all small towns is the lack of support from locals, online shopping, people going shopping in Dublin/Cork/Limerick/etc, and rates making starting businesses financially nonviable.

But if you are voting for the above gombeens, you reap what you sow.
    Spoken like a true Fine Gaeler. There's three FG councillors from Tipp and they've done absolutely nothing to improve the town.

Spoken like a true Fine Gaeler. There's three FG councillors from Tipp and they've done absolutely nothing to improve the town.

What has Mattie mc grath and Seamus Healy done for tipp town?

• Advertisement

digzy wrote: »
    What has Mattie mc grath and Seamus Healy done for tipp town?

You could ask what are the people of Tipperary town doing for their town? Why are shops and businesses closing? Is it because they’re not being supported?

Advertisement