Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tipperary march October 2018

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,155 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Have been following this with interest I often pass through Tipp road surfaces are poor and the Main Street is depressing I can see why people are out marching.

Im not affiliated to any party but if Tipp people want to get these issues addressed they need to vote in as many government party candidates as possible and hold them to their election promises. Some may say previous Tipp TD’s did nothing for years but voting in opposition or protest candidates is virtually a guarantee nothing will be delivered. Mattie and other independent candidates will highlight issues and make a lot of noise but will never get a bypass or similar projects agreed.

This is probably not what protestors want to hear but that’s the country we live in unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭PacMan

I often pass through Tipp road surfaces are poor and the Main Street is depressing I can see why people are out marching.

I agree, the town is terrible, and although I live in Limerick now, I still travel to see the folks outside Thurles on a regular basis.

The commute through Tipperary Town is truly awful, and is getting worse.
    I assume that its hard for the local residents to take pride in their town.
    Cashel and Cahir are so beautiful and have lots of areas to appreciate and great restaurants and cafe's.
    You cannot even stop in Tipp town for a coffee, even if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭Chevy RV

tipptown78 wrote: »
    While I have some sympathy for the people of Tipperary Town, the protest hasn't a hope of getting some of those things listed on their wishlist.

1. Grant 'deis' status to the primary schools.
    This is probably the most achievable item.

2. Council change the plan to remove parking spaces for residents on the limerick road (davitt st).
    This decision was made 2/3 years ago, when the decision was made was the time to protest, not when the tender is gone out.

3.Bypass
    I doubt will happen in any of our lifetimes. No mention in the Ireland 2040 plan so its a dead duck.

4. Sort out the roads within 6 months
    The tender process alone would take 6 months

5.establish a task force to deal with the unemployment (34% V 7% nationally)
    If you or I was setting up a business, would you choose Tipperary Town when Limerick is 20 minutes in the road? Lets call a spade a spade, the population in Tipperary Town wouldn't be classed as skilled workers. The best they could hope for is a monotonous assembly line or a call centre.

6.maintain the recreation centre
    The Canon Hayes Centre doesn't exactly help itself, when other facilities/gyms opened in the town, it showed people what should be expected. I know the centre itself is an excellent facility to have in any town but it cannot keep relying on hand outs. If I was running a business that wasn't viable, I wouldn't expect funding left, right and centre to keep it going

7.keep the mount sion open
    The last I heard there was 6 residents in the building. I can only imagine the cost of staffing the place as well as maintaining it. The residents would probably be better off relocated to other residential care facilities.

8. 2 hour free parking
    It will never happen. If the council agreed to it, it would only open a can of worms and every other town would demand the same.

9. Council maintain the listed buildings
    Why should the council? Why shouldn’t the owners be held responsible? The council already offer grant funding under the Built Heritage Investment Scheme and Structures at Risk fund for maintenance of protected structures as well as other funding available from the Heritage Council.

Lets call a spade a spade, the population in Tipperary Town wouldn't be classed as skilled workers. The best they could hope for is a monotonous assembly line or a call centre.----true ....but what would be wrong with those type jobs? Money is money , regardless of the type of job.Look at what has happened in towns like Clonakilty where they have put their resources into getting low capital intensive industry that provides many jobs e.g. Capita etc down there.

Should the main centres of resources(money) in town like Tipperary Co Op, Tipperary Credit Union , Banks be asked by their customers put some money into a jointly owned company that specifically supports local job creation in SME type enterprises that tend to outlast the FDI type jobs that can disappear at the stroke of a pen somewhere outside of our control?

Chevy RV wrote: »
    Lets call a spade a spade, the population in Tipperary Town wouldn't be classed as skilled workers. The best they could hope for is a monotonous assembly line or a call centre.----true ....but what would be wrong with those type jobs? Money is money , regardless of the type of job.Look at what has happened in towns like Clonakilty where they have put their resources into getting low capital intensive industry that provides many jobs e.g. Capita etc down there.

Should the main centres of resources(money) in town like Tipperary Co Op, Tipperary Credit Union , Banks be asked by their customers put some money into a jointly owned company that specifically supports local job creation in SME type enterprises that tend to outlast the FDI type jobs that can disappear at the stroke of a pen somewhere outside of our control?

There are plenty of enterprise supports already there through Enterprise Ireland and other agencies if you have a viable idea and a solid business plan. I don’t think it’s the remit of the banks or other businesses in any town to step in.

Looking at the figures quoted here I suspect the unemployment issue runs deeper than a lack of jobs in any case. Could take a generation of intervention through education and up-skilling to sort it out.

A task force is required to look at all of this and take action, keep the pressure on. Blocking the main road in January is bonkers though. The organisers should be arrested and dealt with harshly if this goes ahead IMO. Protest is fine but that’s going too far.

There are plenty of enterprise supports already there through Enterprise Ireland and other agencies if you have a viable idea and a solid business plan. I don’t think it’s the remit of the banks or other businesses in any town to step in.

Looking at the figures quoted here I suspect the unemployment issue runs deeper than a lack of jobs in any case. Could take a generation of intervention through education and up-skilling to sort it out.

A task force is required to look at all of this and take action, keep the pressure on. Blocking the main road in January is bonkers though. The organisers should be arrested and dealt with harshly if this goes ahead IMO. Protest is fine but that’s going too far.

Or treated the French way. https://www.bbc.com/news/av/world-46411660/france-fuel-protests-tear-gas-and-water-cannon-used-in-paris

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭digzy

What choice is open though?
    There’s been 2 Marchs, a silent picket of the loca authority office.

The farmers ( a huge national body) are well able to block the streets of Dublin with their grievances. They would rather not have to do that but their backs were to the wall.

As per the the groups head, they’re not being listened to.

The tipp group haven’t the numbers for that kinda operation. One of their issues is the 7000 vehicles that pass through town each day.

Personally, I don’t want the road blocked as it’ll hurt my business. However, I support the group in terms of their aspirations

Cllr Mary Hanna Hourigan announced at the council meeting that businesses with whom she spoke were opposed to 2 hour free parking. A survey carried out by the group found less than 1% of business were opposed to it. So looks like someone is telling lies. I know whom I believe.
    It’s a resigning matter.

digzy wrote: »
    What choice is open though?
    There’s been 2 Marchs, a silent picket of the loca authority office.

The farmers ( a huge national body) are well able to block the streets of Dublin with their grievances. They would rather not have to do that but their backs were to the wall.

As per the the groups head, they’re not being listened to.

The tipp group haven’t the numbers for that kinda operation. One of their issues is the 7000 vehicles that pass through town each day.

Personally, I don’t want the road blocked as it’ll hurt my business. However, I support the group in terms of their aspirations

Cllr Mary Hanna Hourigan announced at the council meeting that businesses with whom she spoke were opposed to 2 hour free parking. A survey carried out by the group found less than 1% of business were opposed to it. So looks like someone is telling lies. I know whom I believe.
    It’s a resigning matter.

Are you actually saying that a politician actually LIED?? I’m shocked!

The unemployment figures are shocking.
    While I know it’s not ‘pc’, a fair chunk of the blame must lie with those not working. There are too many multi generational unemployment families.

Secondly, some blame lies with the state.
    They’ve made these ‘lifestyles’ viable. While any reasonable person wants the state to look after its citizens in times of need, a situation exists for many people that unless they got jobs paying over €500 per week it’s not worth their while ‘go legit’.

I can recall working in pall which was one of the last of the towns big employers. A fair few of my colleagues were traveling from outside the town.
    While the ‘townies’ were moaning about a lack of employment.

Given the public transport links to limerick and Clonmel, I cannot understand how any (childless) person can be unemployed. Fair enough, when you’ve kids it complicates things!

Are you actually saying that a politician actually LIED?? I’m shocked!

It appears she ‘misled’ the chamber at best!

Look, the proposal is to block the main Waterford to Limerick road, what if emergency services need to get through quickly that day. Can the organisers live with being responsible for a loss of life due to the chaos they cause? Dublin is different there are always alternative routes.

The timeframes given are not reasonable. With the best will in the world it’s a 5-10 year project to transform a town and anybody expecting instant solutions is just foolish. The way to do it is through political pressure, funding for various projects, and progressive positive action on the ground. The bypass should underpin everything but that’s 10 years away minimum, are they going to continue this type of action for 10 years? They’ll find their support and numbers dwindling quite quickly I’d imagine. Blocking roads and causing traffic gridlock just makes the organisers look like lunatics IMO.

As I said above be very careful about who you elect in the next GE. Any group that can get 5000 out on the street is potentially a very influential voting bloc. Get politicians in there who can actually get things done. I think it’s safe to say you have their attention at this stage.

• Advertisement

digzy wrote: »
    The unemployment figures are shocking.
    While I know it’s not ‘pc’, a fair chunk of the blame must lie with those not working. There are too many multi generational unemployment families.!

Yes, tipp town has one of the highest unemployment of any town in the country. Apparently a lot of people do not want to work, and have been on the long term unemployment payment for a long time.
    These people who do not want to work, are the ones giving tipp town its dreadful name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

PacMan wrote: »
    Yes, tipp town has one of the highest unemployment of any town in the country. Apparently a lot of people do not want to work, and have been on the long term unemployment payment for a long time.
    These people who do not want to work, are the ones giving tipp town its dreadful name.

Do you pass through often?

Yes, some weeks almost daily.
    If your query is rergarding a meet for a coffee, there are sites specifically for hook ups which you should use :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,100 ✭✭✭trixiebust

PacMan wrote: »
    Yes, some weeks almost daily.
    If your query is rergarding a meet for a coffee, there are sites specifically for hook ups which you should use :)

No thanks! I was asking more because I thought you were assuming about people when passing through,as opposed living there.

That town needs investment in decent jobs & there are numerous empty factory sites that could be filled. Hopefully those people marching keep do until they are heard.

trixiebust wrote: »
    No thanks! I was asking more because I thought you were assuming about people when passing through,as opposed living there.

That town needs investment in decent jobs & there are numerous empty factory sites that could be filled. Hopefully those people marching keep do until they are heard.

I hope that they support local businesses and shop local this Christmas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

If the town is as bad as they say there won't be much to buy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Vizzy

Funny you should say this as I was told from someone from Tipp that one of the march organisers had a lovely post on Faceplant about shopping in Limerick.

Vizzy wrote: »
    Funny you should say this as I was told from someone from Tipp that one of the march organisers had a lovely post on Faceplant about shopping in Limerick.

That’s my point exactly. They need to help themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭cordangan

Wellworths on the main street reopening tomorrow Friday at 11 am. Well done Tony and all concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭CúilChip

Mary Newman Julian's one of the FG candidates for the next general election has been doing a lot of work in Tipp town behind the scenes, and has now published a paper on it, which she has given to all the relevant ministers and the Taoiseach.

https://maryfortipperary.wordpress.com/tipperary-town-acceleration-programme-ttap/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,965 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

CúilChip wrote: »
    Mary Newman Julian's one of the FG candidates for the next general election has been doing a lot of work in Tipp town behind the scenes, and has now published a paper on it, which she has given to all the relevant ministers and the Taoiseach.

https://maryfortipperary.wordpress.com/tipperary-town-acceleration-programme-ttap/

Pity her party are responsible for the policies which are part of the problem

"mary for tipperary".... is that the slogan she is using.
    Not very good.

Advertisement