Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donald Trump is the President Mark IV (Read Mod Warning in OP)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭jooksavage

everlast75 wrote: »
    That tax evasion stuff is interesting.

No statute of limitations either.

Perhaps that immunity deal for the Trump CFO with the SDNY is paying dividends*

*no pun intended

Plus Trump CFO Allen Weisselberg is cooperating with investigators. Trumpnation author Tim O'Brien says you really cant overestimate how worried the Trump family are about him.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,251 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Its how they got Capone.
    Come to think of it, didn't Trump have a kind word to say about him and how badly he was treated?
    Coincidence?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Christy42

You can't be still banging that drum?

The majority of posters on this thread have a clear (daily) objective, which is to condemn everything that Trump says and does, while acting like it was all wine and roses under Obama. You're all mostly far left liberals, well 90%+ anyway, who consider yourselves to be progressive, and show time and time again, that the truth is of little importance to you. Not just on this issue, but many of them. The latest of course being Kavanaugh.

Personally I believe in due process and if people are found guilty remove them from their jobs then (assuming it's deemed appropriate to do so). Had some woman come out of the woodwork and claimed Obama raped her at a house party 30 years previous I would be saying the same thing too. Indeed I have done so on the back of many democrats who were accused during the #metoo campaign. As you see, I am consistent, and don't believe someone only deserves due process if their politics align with mine.

A: Do you think absolute proof is required of a crime to not give someone a job (say a suspected bank thief a job in a bank)? Remember this is not a trial. He will not go to jail based on this vote and will not lose his current job either (though the investigation could have other effects if the investigation shows it appropriate separate from the the senate vote).

B: What do you feel of the initial attempts to block any investigation which was all that most here wanted from the so called far left liberals here?

C: The man lied repeatedly in front of the senate about his youth. If he is willing to do so can he be seriously trusted to act independently of his own interests as a judge? This is about his drinking habits, nothing to do with unproven allegations.

As for the other thing, I have not looked into it. Maybe you should have protested it at the time? If Obama did horrific stuff in office I won't defend it and would have agreed with those protesting against it but I fail to see how it absolves Trump in the slightest. Trump being the current person doing terrible things.

I will take a look at them when I have the chance but again, separate topic. Edit: Even reading the spiel you posted it is just about people being denied asylum when they likely should have been granted asylum. I see little about throwing kids in cages after separating them from their families. Seems right up Trumps ally. I disagree heavily with the Obama administration here if it is as painted. Maybe too many conservatives in the democrats or maybe Obama is too conservative himself. He did a lot of great things but it has oft been repeated that the Democrats are not particularly left wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,691 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

That New York Times article about trumps wealth is nuts. Is anything the guy says or does anywhere on the level ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭vetinari

Regards Kavanaugh, I feel enough has not been made about him having and then keeping calendars from high school.
    It's hands down one of the weirdest things I've heard in years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,691 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

vetinari wrote: »
    Regards Kavanaugh, I feel enough has not been made about him having and then keeping calendars from high school.
    It's hands down one of the weirdest things I've heard in years!

Well I don't know anyone who did it and I certainly didn't but maybe it's a american thing ?

I mean most teenagers and people in college have drank to excess and as has been said that that shouldn't be held against anyone in their later life but Bret Kavanagh has tried to portray himself in an almost angelic way who liked beer and "worked his butt off" to get to where he is. How many actors in hollywood decades ago were utter geniuses at acting but were martyrs for the drink ? I'm not saying Brett Kavanagh is that but he's trying to paint himself a certain way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,404 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

As long as the judge is well qualified, I’m happy enough. I’m old-school that way.
    A judge must not only be knowledgable in the matter of the law, as Kavanaugh no doubt is, but impartial in the application of it.

A judge who rants, without producing any evidence to support his claim, about a left-wing conspiracy ranged against him involving the Clintons would really exclude himself from that important, second group.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

That tax evasion stuff is interesting.

No statute of limitations either.

Perhaps that immunity deal for the Trump CFO with the SDNY is paying dividends*

*no pun intended

I think the Statute of Limitations has run out on the Criminal aspect of it. However, the IRS and the State of New York could bring civil fraud cases, although that may be unusual.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

The more you hear about the investigation the more the little credibility it had or possibility it had to do some good (either way) evaporates.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Paddy OFurniture

I'm always amazed at how obsessed some are with American politics and completely missing the whole point of Pres. Trump. He's the first person in decades to listen to the concerns of a large group of people in the US. He was a snub to the know-it-all Democrats and career politicians. I personally think this salivating over the possibility of America tanking is sick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭splashuum

Just confirm Kavanaugh already. People are just sick of this charade at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,112 ✭✭✭✭StringerBell

I'm always amazed at how obsessed some are with American politics and completely missing the whole point of Pres. Trump. He's the first person in decades to listen to the concerns of a large group of people in the US. He was a snub to the know-it-all Democrats and career politicians. I personally think this salivating over the possibility of America tanking is sick.

Sure, everyone is entitled to an opinion.

"People say ‘go with the flow’ but do you know what goes with the flow? Dead fish."

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Mod Note

Ah here, within hours of the last mod warning....
    Mod Note

Despite a very explicit mod warning in the OP, we're back to a situation where far too many people taking childish swipes at each other, with "It's typical of people like you..." remarks. That's not what this forum is for.

If you think someone's an idiot, ignore them. If they really are an idiot, it should be obvious to any reasonable person reading the thread. And they don't need the thread being dragged into the gutter by yet another smart alek stating the obvious.

We get this:
    The majority of posters on this thread have a clear (daily) objective, which is to condemn everything that Trump says and does, while acting like it was all wine and roses under Obama. You're all mostly far left liberals, well 90%+ anyway, who consider yourselves to be progressive, and show time and time again, that the truth is of little importance to you. Not just on this issue, but many of them.

Card for you
    Tl dr

And a card for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,853 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

RTE Trump attack fail, who writes this headline grabbing thrash...
    US restricts visas to unmarried gay diplomats' partners

Eh no, they changed the rules so all staff regardless of sexual orientation must be married in order for their partner to get a visa...
    Under the new guidelines, diplomats regardless of sexual orientation will need to be married by the end of the year in order for their partners to receive visas.

https://www.rte.ie/news/world/2018/1003/1000580-us-diplomatic-visas/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 915 ✭✭✭2 Scoops

I'd imagine he knows the wheels are about to fall off. The Woman questioning Ford did a better job than I thought cross examining. That's a sworn statement below to the committee in case someone thinks it's anonymous or whatever.

https://twitter.com/ShannonBream/status/1047293294567456770

https://twitter.com/JerryDunleavy/status/1047304183286829057

Grassley wants the documents, they've refused to give them to the committee.

The FBI is due to finish tomorrow. Avenatti's client walked back her claims on NBC earlier. Loved the burn here, and rightly so.

https://twitter.com/MtgGuyDan/status/1047263152163835905

• Registered Users Posts: 19,251 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

If that's your smoking gun, then she has nothing to worry about.
    Kavanaugh's room mate came out and said he was a nasty drunk and blacked out before.
    However, being fair, i disregarded that as it appeared he was not on good terms with Kavanaugh.
    I wonder does his "ex" have an axe to grind?

Kavanaugh's room mate came out and said he was a nasty drunk and blacked out before.
    However, being fair, i disregarded that as it appeared he was not on good terms with Kavanaugh.

There's no need for a "smoking gun". There's no evidence to support the allegations and the FBI statements will show that they were sent on a merry go round.

Kavanaugh has nothing to prove. All this testimony does is damage her credibility more, which I believe most honest people felt was already very low.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,106 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

RIGOLO wrote: »
    President Trump is on the road, 5 States in 5 days, rallying the electorate.

The energy in the room is palpable , and Im sure it will transfer into the ballot box in the mid-terms.

Theres no evidence of a blue wave, if anything there is a red revival akin to 2016 . I expect alot of suprises in November.

People are coming from hundreds of miles away, queuing up overnight and having to be turned away, or listen in from outside the auditorium.

Not only are people expressing their political persusssion, they also seem to be having a good time. Theres a great vibe coming off these, a family friendly, positive, patriotic expression of ordinary folks.

I assume its okay to put 2 videos of POTUS Trump Rallys from the last 2 days in the Donald Trump Is President thread... seems appropriate. .

Southaven Mississipi and Johnson City

And these are the very people that will vote in droves in November.

Not the people here constantly telling us that the game is up for Trump, not RTE or the Irish Times and their liberal agenda.

Trump has a base, a base that for too long the Democrats have ignored for the sake of being "progressive" and that base is not getting smaller.

Is it a good thing for America, I'm not really sure, but it's happening.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,025 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

One-liners and video dumps deleted.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Quite shocking, but what's new, Trump mocks Dr Ford's testimony at a public rally.
    https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2018/oct/02/trump-mocks-christine-blasey-ford-at-mississippi-rally

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Christy42

2 Scoops wrote: »

There's no need for a "smoking gun". There's no evidence to support the allegations and the FBI statements will show that they were sent on a merry go round.

Kavanaugh has nothing to prove. All this testimony does is damage her credibility more, which I believe most honest people felt was already very low.
    As opposed to the credibility of the man who we know lied in his testimony?

This entire case will be an example of why not to come forward about sexual abuse. There is no proof she is lying and yet she has had death threats and been shown a large proportion of her country just wants to mock her. Has Trump shown any sympathy for her current living situation?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Yes Rigolo, I'm sure the rallies are great fun. But the KKK hold family fun days. The Nazi party had huge rallies, hell even Boris was standing room only yesterday.

Millions of people went to see the last star wars movie. Do you think that means they all agree with the subjects in the movie? Or maybe they simply want to show their support for movies in general, or overpriced popcorn.

Trump had massive rallies leading up to 2016, yet still lost the popular vote. So size of rallies does not link but size of vote.

Christy42 wrote: »
    There is no proof she is lying

That's not how it works. Onus of proof is on the accuser and it worries me people are taking this view, imo it's radical and Stalinist. She put herself in the public spotlight with zero evidence or collaboration, what did you expect would happen.

People in public debate get death threats, it's wrong but out of our control, look at Ted Cruz's office today with two people hospitalized by powder in the post or the Ricin that ended up in the pentagon this morning addressed to Mattis and Trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,555 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Christy42 wrote: »
    There is no proof she is lying

That's not how it works. Onus of proof is on the accuser and it worries me people are taking this view, imo it's radical and Stalinist. She put herself in the public spotlight with zero evidence or collaboration, what did you expect would happen.

People in public debate get death threats, it's wrong but out of our control, look at Ted Cruz's office today with two people hospitalized by powder in the post or the Ricin that ended up in the pentagon this morning addressed to Mattis and Trump.

What sort of proof would be sufficient?

In these types of cases, even if recent, it will in many cases come down to he said/she said.

What they frequently do is try to paint a picture. in rape cases, for example, the defense will use previous sexual activity, levels of alcohol etc to try to undermine the accuser.

In this 'case' we have a history of drinking, an apparent attitude to women, and additional accusations. All separate but all following a similar pattern.

You compare her testimony to his and there really should be only one view. Doesn't mean he is guilty, its not a court of law, but it should raise serious credibility issues for him.

In fact, even Trump agrees and ordered an investigation. By any stretch of the imagination, and given that Trump is firmly in his camp, this can only be seen as her giving a far more credible account.

Bearin mind that the hearing was meant to shut this whole thing down. The exact opposite happened.

Anyone who can watch the clip of Kavanaugh answering the devil's triangle question and say that they believe him is not worth engaging with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Anyone who can watch the clip of Kavanaugh answering the devil's triangle question and say that they believe him is not worth engaging with.
    I thought the exact same thing, it's just not convincing at all. There's almost an inner glee as he moves into the microphone and takes that pause before answering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭BabyCheeses

splashuum wrote: »
    Just confirm Kavanaugh already. People are just sick of this charade at this stage.

True, they will vote to confirm regardless of what is found. Fox would be disappointed to lose a potential employee if something was found, he's good at sexual assault and ranting about democrat conspiracies.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What sort of proof would be sufficient?

How about the house in question, or even the street? How she got to the party and got home over a 6 mile distance? Who invited her?

Even simpler, how about one person in the entire world that could even hint at collaborating her story?

Any of those would be a start.

Trump doesn't agree, they didn't have the votes without the FBI intervening.

I'll leave you to the Aventatti devils triangle conspiracies.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

The onus of proof is not on the accuser. The onus of proof is on the prosecutor. All that an accuser should worry about is giving a truthful account.

As to Trump and Fox News and their coordinated attack on Ford, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that either the FBI have found something that has them worried or they don't think the investigation will get them their senate votes so they've changed tactic to attack the victim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

How about the house in question, or even the street? How she got to the party and got home over a 6 mile distance? Who invited her?

None of that would be proof.

Even simpler, how about one person in the entire world that could even hint at collaborating her story?

Any of those would be a start.

The word is corroborating. Collaborating is what Trump and Fox News are doing.

Trump doesn't agree, they didn't have the votes without the FBI intervening.

So was he lying when he praised Ford after her testimony?

I'll leave you to the Aventatti devils triangle conspiracies.

What are the rules of that particular drinking game?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement