Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment Stage 3 (2018 Campaign)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pedrigo

Does anyone know if the Form B is handed in before the interview to be solely used for vetting at a later date or does the interview board have the information on it available to them during the interview?

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

pedrigo wrote: »
    Does anyone know if the Form B is handed in before the interview to be solely used for vetting at a later date or does the interview board have the information on it available to them during the interview?

The interview panel will have your PAS application form with your employment/education history in front of them. You give your Form B to a member of AGS HRM who will go through it with you and tell you if you need to get any additional information.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭leheaven

Had my interview today. Went fine, it's more like a conversation about your experiences to date and the 5 competencies. Just know them and you'll do grand!

Thank you

Elliot192 wrote: »
    The interview panel will have your PAS application form with your employment/education history in front of them. You give your Form B to a member of AGS HRM who will go through it with you and tell you if you need to get any additional information.

I’ve been filling mine out on word (form B) so do I print it out and bring on the day? Or do I print it off and fill in by hand. I read the material and it says no hard copy would be taken.

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

leheaven wrote: »
    I’ve been filling mine out on word (form B) so do I print it out and bring on the day? Or do I print it off and fill in by hand. I read the material and it says no hard copy would be taken.

That's strange. Maybe they've changed the procedure for the 2018 interviews? Do you have to email the Form B? We had to type the answers in to Form B and print off a copy to hand to the HRM official on the day of the interview. But I would follow whatever instructions you've been given by AGS to the letter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭Carles Puyol

leheaven wrote: »
    You need 4 things on the day.

1. Completed Form B (not by hand - it says so on the first page of document) with passport photo with name and DOB on back. This must be a hard copy.

2. Original birth cert (and a photocopy).

3. Original Leaving Cert results (and a photocopy).

4. Photo ID (passport/driving license).

Nothing else is required. If some info is incomplete/incorrect on From B you will be given 7 days to send it in by email.

I don't know what the procedure is if you forget one of the four things required.

It's worth noting that eircodes are required for Irish addresses in Qs 8 (aunts and uncles).
    I did not have those and had to get back onto a few of them. They can also be found using the eircode finder.

Elliot192 wrote: »
    That's strange. Maybe they've changed the procedure for the 2018 interviews? Do you have to email the Form B? We had to type the answers in to Form B and print off a copy to hand to the HRM official on the day of the interview. But I would follow whatever instructions you've been given by AGS to the letter.

Ok, thanks. I’m going to go through it all later again just to be sure. Hate to get there and have it wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭bottar1

1. Completed Form B (not by hand - it says so on the first page of document) with passport photo with name and DOB on back. This must be a hard copy.

Nothing else is required. If some info is incomplete/incorrect on From B you will be given 7 days to send it in by email.

I don't know what the procedure is if you forget one of the four things required.

It's worth noting that eircodes are required for Irish addresses in Qs 8 (aunts and uncles).
    I did not have those and had to get back onto a few of them. They can also be found using the eircode finder.

Thanks for that, I didn't think the eircodes were mandatory. I'm only missing about 2 from my 20 or so relatives on the list so I'll track those down!

Thanks for that. I know what I need to bring on the day but I’d seen someone say they had to hand over form B. I was basically looking for clarification so I’m all sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 lealor17

Uweir32 wrote: »
    Yes I got an email on Friday to book

Excellent. Good luck! Can I just ask are you in the first 130 that are being called or have they moved on in the numbers?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 121 ✭✭RabbitHeart18

bottar1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that, I didn't think the eircodes were mandatory. I'm only missing about 2 from my 20 or so relatives on the list so I'll track those down!

Just to add, I was in there today and I asked about eircodes and was told they aren't mandatory unless the address is very vague. I assume they follow up if they need clarification. One less thing to worry about!

Just to add, I was in there today and I asked about eircodes and was told they aren't mandatory unless the address is very vague. I assume they follow up if they need clarification. One less thing to worry about!
    That would make sense actually as the majority of my relations live in rural areas.

Ah fair enough, I have very detailed addresses for the ones I don't have, but If I have time I'll try to get them. I got all the ones I could from the eircode finder.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 foam

Yeah they will email you if they require any further details.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Coconut21015

For the interview have I to fill out a form apart from the b form? Like with my competencies and their examples? Or am I completely wrong here

For the interview have I to fill out a form apart from the b form? Like with my competencies and their examples? Or am I completely wrong here
    Just the form b. Although it would probably help a lot were you to write out sample answers to the competencies.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Hearns2017

Just wondering what numbers got called for October? I’m early 400’s just wondering when I might be called... very excited and nervous!!

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭arainagusime

So worried I failed interview. I was asked for 3 examples for one competency and gave 2 good ones and was able to answer all follow up questions. But for the third example i was asked to provide, i gave 1 irrelevant answer and one weak answer when prodded.. Then panel member ran out of time. If any kind person from a previous campaign would PM me I would appreciate it. :) the rest of the interview went well and they mentioned several times there is ovelap in answers.

I hope that overlapping answers count? Meaning if one panel member runs out of time but hears you say something relevant to his or her competencies they would give you the points?

So worried I failed interview. I was asked for 3 examples for one competency and gave 2 good ones and was able to answer all follow up questions. But for the third example i was asked to provide, i gave 1 irrelevant answer and one weak answer when prodded.. Then panel member ran out of time. If any kind person from a previous campaign would PM me I would appreciate it. :) the rest of the interview went well and they mentioned several times there is ovelap in answers.

I hope that overlapping answers count? Meaning if one panel member runs out of time but hears you say something relevant to his or her competencies they would give you the points?

Three examples? Well ****! I've only ever heard of them asking two, jaysus. I better prepare a third..

bottar1 wrote: »
    Three examples? Well ****! I've only ever heard of them asking two, jaysus. I better prepare a third..

Yes, best to over prepare but don't panic. I certainly didn't need 3 examples for *every* competency. And it is important to have strong examples that stand up to further questions than to have many examples, I'd say. I don't want to compromise the interview process by elaborating further.

If I do fail I am nearly certain I would pass next time because I think I was very close. I definitely prepared well for this interview and know my experiences directly relate to being a garda.

Again - does anyone know anything about picking up marks for examples given in a different competency?

I hope I pass..........Jesus the wait is killer

• Advertisement

Yes, best to over prepare but don't panic. I certainly didn't need 3 examples for *every* competency. And it is important to have strong examples that stand up to further questions than to have many examples, I'd say. I don't want to compromise the interview process by elaborating further.

If I do fail I am nearly certain I would pass next time because I think I was very close. I definitely prepared well for this interview and know my experiences directly relate to being a garda.

Again - does anyone know anything about picking up marks for examples given in a different competency?

I hope I pass..........Jesus the wait is killer

Good luck man. Wishing you the best.

Interview results are out.

Absolutely over the moon, jumped over 100 places and into lower single digits oom. Best of luck to all ye! Only 2 stages left - getting very close now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Absolutely over the moon, jumped over 100 places and into lower single digits oom. Best of luck to all ye! Only 2 stages left - getting very close now.

First off. Congrats.
    Have we any idea of how many failed the interview?
    I take it it wasn't the entire 900 from Batch 1 got to interview?

I passed too!!! Cried with relief, really thought I blew the interview.
    I dropped a few places again but still good oom, so I'm over the moon. Hope everyone else here gets good news too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 MrNightOwl

Just got word I failed. Absolutely gutted. My OOM was in double digits for the first two stages. I even did an interview prep course. I put a lot if work in. The board absolutely grilled me on the day. Asked for 3 examples for each competency and probed all my answers. I used all the buzz words and kept my cool. I can't understand what I did wrong. Hopefully the feedback will give some indication where I went wrong. Just have to try again next year.

MrNightOwl wrote: »
    Just got word I failed. Absolutely gutted. My OOM was in double digits for the first two stages. I even did an interview prep course. I put a lot if work in. The board absolutely grilled me on the day. Asked for 3 examples for each competency and probed all my answers. I used all the buzz words and kept my cool. I can't understand what I did wrong. Hopefully the feedback will give some indication where I went wrong. Just have to try again next year.

I'm so sorry.
    I know it's no consolation, but at least you'll have the experience to draw on next year.

I passed, OOM improved by a lot. I really feel for anyone who didn't pass. I was convinced I failed on one of the competencies. I had told myself the following, when bracing myself to fail - "Good. More time to get better," a phrase borrowed from an inspirational podcaster and ex navy seal. I thought to myself how one year is not long in comparison to a career. Also, the PSNI opened recruitment yesterday. So just keep on keeping on. Get super fit. You will probably be in the first round of interviews again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 mezzac95

I passed too!!! Cried with relief, really thought I blew the interview.
    I dropped a few places again but still good oom, so I'm over the moon. Hope everyone else here gets good news too.

I passed too! Absolutely shocked I swore i failed the interview. Now I need to get ready for the fitness!

mezzac95 wrote: »
    I passed too! Absolutely shocked I swore i failed the interview. Now I need to get ready for the fitness!

I came out feeling great and by the time I got home I had convinced myself I hadn't done enough.
    Think I'll be running with a spring in my step tomorrow :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 MrNightOwl

Congrats everyone who passed. It's a great achievement to get this far. If you don't mind, could you maybe talk about how specific they were with the competencies? Like, did they say 'can you tell me about a time you had to use your interpersonal skills to solve a problem'? In my interview, they honed in on specific sub-headings within each competency, like, 'tell me about a time you had to use your LISTENING SKILLS to resolve a problem'.

Advertisement