Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air BnB to be effectively banned for non PPR

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

That's far too extreme. Have you seen the price of hotel rooms in Dublin? They are already eye watering. And we already apparently have a shortage of hotel beds in the city.

The government needs to build more homes!! That's the end of it. Or we need to change the current system which is so weighted against the landlord, thus making Airbnb an attractive alternative! Pushing the problem onto the private rental sector is not the answer here.

I'd rather we prioritise people who live in the city rather than tourists.

Frankly we can do with less stag dos from Slough

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

P_1 wrote: »
    I'd rather we prioritise people who live in the city rather than tourists.

Frankly we can do with less stag dos from Slough

ill take them over Talbot street junkies or Margaret cash types any day of the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,792 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Bananas idea to take focus off their continued f'n up of the housing situation. Just make laws that protect people renting property and this is a non issue. Why there isn't a set standard for rental property and a blacklist for bad tenants is baffling.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

how dare anybody use their skills / property how they want, no it has to be the old , cumbersome expensive cartel run by big players only. We're so backward.

Yeah, darn those inconvenient planning laws.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

ill take them over Talbot street junkies or Margaret cash types any day of the week.

Ever lived beside an Airbnb? Come back to me after you've had a shower of Nordie gits wrecking the gaff when they found themselves in a city for the first time ever for the all Ireland final

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

From what I've seen in Carrick on Shannon there's not much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Bananas idea to take focus off their continued f'n up of the housing situation. Just make laws that protect people renting property and this is a non issue. Why there isn't a set standard for rental property and a blacklist for bad tenants is baffling.

What should we do with these bad tenants?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Scienceless

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    What should we do with these bad tenants?

Well a compliant ll with a rental property up to standard should be able to get them out if they don’t pay, over hold, or damage the house.
    After that it’s not the ll’s problem.
    Equal sanctions should apply to dodgy ll’s.

What would you do with them?

As long as there's significantly more money on the table from AirBnB more and more properties will be moved into the short-term vacation market.

Unless legislation is put in place to prevent it.

Ireland is not the first market to see this.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,961 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Well a compliant ll with a rental property up to standard should be able to get them out if they don’t pay, over hold, or damage the house. After that it’s not the ll’s problem. Equal sanctions should apply to dodgy ll’s.

Strangely enough, we need to come up with workable ways of dealing with both, we currently don't have this, the whole thing is highly dysfunctional, it's a mess, and nobody knows what to do, including myself

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,524 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

how dare anybody use their skills / property how they want, no it has to be the old , cumbersome expensive cartel run by big players only. We're so backward.
    We're so backward? What nonsense.

You have never been allowed to do whatever you want with your property. This is the same all over the world. Planning permission is a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭aluminium

Theres always spotahome, booking dot com, homeaway word of mouth etc etc.

aluminium wrote: »
    The law will target short term lettings, not AirBnB specifically.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,782 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I can't see them shutting down Airbnb and leaving all the above open.

It's unlikely any legislation is going to be AirBnB specific.

Other countries have seen significant compliance rates by accompanying legislation with fairly hefty financial penalties.

Very true. Lots of established contacts in place now that could just carry on, some element of this will undoubtedly remain as a cash business.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

pearcider wrote: »
    Easy to see the people in this thread who’ve just seen their cash cow slaughtered :) I for one am delighted. It’s a joke that a government would be expected to prioritize wealthy tourists over its own taxpayers and citizens. Now bring on the vacant home tax.

How about others people's property be handed over free and gratis - is that enough?

How would you expect anyone who invests in a manufacturing business or as a landlord or as a taxi driver react if their freedom to earn an income from that investment was denied or was as you state - have "their cash cow slaughtered"(sic)

How exactly are such tourists 'wealthy'??? Should the government ban tourists?

And how exactly does the government 'prioritize' such tourists? Nothing in that comment makes any sense unless we somehow live in an isolationist communist state

gozunda wrote: »
    How about others people's property be handed over free and gratis - would that be enough?

How would you expect anyone who invests in a manufacturing business or as a landlord or as a taxi driver react if their freedom to earn an income from that investment was denied or was as you state - have "their cash cow slaughtered"(sic)

How exactly are such tourists 'wealthy'??? Should the government ban tourists?

And how exactly does the government 'prioritize' such tourists? Nothing in that comment makes any sense unless we somehow live in an isolationist communist state

They haven't been denied earning an income. They are being denied using it in a manner that they are not, and never have been permitted to use it for.

Same as it always has been, same as it is all over the world.

This communism stuff is grasping at straws. Planning permission is nothing new.

Your mention of taxi drivers is particularly amusing given that taxiing is regulated in Ireland and requires a license. I can't go out and buy myself a Fiat 100 and call myself a taxi driver. I can't just go out and buy a bus and run a bus service. I can't go out and buy a factory and just decide to turn it into a house.

In the same way, I cannot go out, buy a residential property and turn it into a BnB/hotel. Never have been able to.

awec wrote: »
    They haven't been denied earning an income. They are being denied using it in a manner that they are not, and never have been permitted to use it for.

How is it then that some here have said planning permission for some properties allows Airbnb type lettings?

Your mention of taxi drivers is particularly amusing given that taxiing is regulated in Ireland and requires a license. I can't go out and buy myself a Fiat 100 and call myself a taxi driver.

but it would be great if you could, as many other countries now allow.

• Advertisement

How is it then that some here have said planning permission for some properties allows Airbnb type lettings?
    You can get planning permission to allow short term lettings. These people have nothing to worry about.

The worry (and moaning) will come from those who know what they are doing is wrong, and who know they have no chance of ever claiming legitimate use as a short term let.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Peatys wrote: »
    Happy days. House joined on to me won't be an unlicenced hotel any more. Who's responsible so i can make sure to get them some votes come election time?

If it's the one I own it's going to have social housing tenants in fairly shortly, so I'm sure that'll go down well in all the areas it's about to happen in. I'm not going back to a situation where a tenant can simply stop paying an I can do sod all about it. So if you can't beat um join um. Ten year let to Dublin CC here I come and I hope many do similar, it's about time we mixed in social housing a bit more.

And for all this waffle about communism, even in the US, the bastion of rampant capitalism, many cities have restrictions on AirBnB, some even more restrictive than what is proposed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

That was in reply to the posters having "their cash cow slaughtered" not planning permission and being joyous to boot. It remains that the restriction of means of production by the state is unfortunately a very real facet of communist states. Why would there need for any change in legislation if the use of personal property is currently 'not permitted" ....

As to the additional bits added to your post they are irrelevant to my reply to that poster

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

This is excellent news.

And any clown that says their property will remain empty is a liar.

They will rent it our normally or sell it. Both great results for every concerned.

Excellent news well done to all involved

• Registered Users Posts: 11,941 ✭✭✭✭titan18

pearcider wrote: »
    Easy to see the people in this thread who’ve just seen their cash cow slaughtered :) I for one am delighted. It’s a joke that a government would be expected to prioritize wealthy tourists over its own taxpayers and citizens. Now bring on the vacant home tax.

I'm 29, still live at home, and can't afford a house and I'm against it. It's easy to be against something when it's short-sighted, populist and does nothing to solve the actual issues.

Time and time again has it been shown that more regulation has caused more issues to the housing market here. All it does it drive landlords from the market which pushes rents up as there's less competition.

gozunda wrote: »
    That was in reply to the posters having "their cash cow slaughtered" not planning permission and being joyous to boot. It remains that the restriction of means of production by the state is unfortunately a very real facet of communist states. Why would there need for any change in legislation if the use of personal property is currently 'not permitted" ....
    This really is complete and utter rubbish. Can you name me a state where the concept of planning permission does not exist?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,790 ✭✭✭✭listermint

If it's the one I own it's going to have social housing tenants in fairly shortly, so I'm sure that'll go down well in all the areas it's about to happen in. I'm not going back to a situation where a tenant can simply stop paying an I can do sod all about it. So if you can't beat um join um. Ten year let to Dublin CC here I come and I hope many do similar, it's about time we mixed in social housing a bit more.

Good !

Is this you trying to to get one back on the government? Your neighbours ?

I don't really get it, either way it makes you look incredibly stupid with and incredibly stupid point.

titan18 wrote: »
    I'm 29, still live at home, and can't afford a house and I'm against it. It's easy to be against something when it's short-sighted, populist and does nothing to solve the actual issues.

Time and time again has it been shown that more regulation has caused more issues to the housing market here. All it does it drive landlords from the market which pushes rents up as there's less competition.
    Landlords letting their properties out on AirBnB are not ON the market. These properties are not part of Ireland's property market at the moment.

That is exactly the problem. These properties directly contribute to rising rents.

• Advertisement

This really is complete and utter rubbish. Can you name me a state where the concept of planning permission does not exist?

Pretty much most of Romania, in Japan you can build a residence anywhere and most zones allow you to do some commercial use after that but once you stick within the simple table of rules that it.

Even the most places that do have planning permission its mostly to do with just physical building height, overlooking and location. Many countries do not care what you use it for and the process isn't half as convoluted as it is here.

Advertisement