Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air BnB to be effectively banned for non PPR

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

You've dodged the point though that a bad LL is probably going to have bad tenants regardless of the type of let. At least with AirBnB you might get the odd weekend of partying rather than a long term bad tenant who will make life miserbale for months, if not years.

There are bad tenants so AirBnB should be a free-for-all is a pretty weak argument.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

to the 99% of air b and b landlords

did you apply to the council for a change to your planning permission before putting the house up for short term letting ?

No ?

quit while your ahead ......

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Graham wrote: »
    There are bad tenants so AirBnB should be a free-for-all is a pretty weak argument.

No AirBnB should have properly rated guests, no AirBnBer wants the neigbours upset or more selfishly the place trashed. I've bugger all idea who I'm renting too in the current scheme of things. I know that the person I'm 'hosting' has had atleast a small number of posative reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I can see work is not going to be boring tomorrow, night night all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Airbnb is a great example of innovation in an otherwise stagnant status quo sector.

It has nothing to do with the disfunction of the housing market and instead was trying to find better ways to move forwards and provide solutions.

Banning Airbnb is a shocking curtailment of personal freedom and liberty. It won't make any difference to housing availability because the core underlying conditions remain unchanged.

It's communist economics under the banner of helping people. Governments are banning uber, my taxi and Airbnb in a few places. They don't like cost effective solutions that provide a really good service eroding state backed industries that need protection to survive.

• Advertisement

Lantus wrote: »
    Banning Airbnb is a shocking curtailment of personal freedom and liberty.

There is no proposal to ban AirBnB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,661 ✭✭✭fxotoole

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Unreal, but the communists appear to have gotten their way.
    No more Air BnB unless you rent a room in your own dwelling.

Can't understand how FG thinks this will help them come election time.

http://www.thejournal.ie/airbnb-regulations-ireland-3-4259732-Sep2018/

Now there’s a first. Never thought I’d hear “FG” and “communists” in the same sentence.

• Administrators Posts: 53,648 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Airbnb is a great example of innovation in an otherwise stagnant status quo sector.

It has nothing to do with the disfunction of the housing market and instead was trying to find better ways to move forwards and provide solutions.

Banning Airbnb is a shocking curtailment of personal freedom and liberty. It won't make any difference to housing availability because the core underlying conditions remain unchanged.

It's communist economics under the banner of helping people. Governments are banning uber, my taxi and Airbnb in a few places. They don't like cost effective solutions that provide a really good service eroding state backed industries that need protection to survive.

This post is wrong in so many ways it is hard to know where to start.

FFS

What's next, compelling all taxi drivers to work Saturday night cause that's when it busy?
    They'll probably come up with some crazy schemes like forcing property in residential zones to be residential, forcing business property to remain business property and what not.

Your next door neighbour might want to turn his house into a chipper and they'd probably ban that too. Shocking! Won't someone think of all the hungry people!

Wee Jimmy in the house behind wants to turn his gaff into a pub. That'd be banned. Damn communists, coming here and imposing restrictive planning permission on us all!

Some rich american has bought all the houses on the opposite side of the street, he wants to flatten them all and build a wind farm. Oh no, wait, there's that fecking planning permission again. Outrageous. Think of the climate!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Airbnb is a great example of innovation in an otherwise stagnant status quo sector....

One of the possibly best description of Airbnb type accommodation that I found is
    Airbnb use of accommodation for short term letting is an example of sharing economy services where through web based applications individuals can connect to each other in terms of providing and requesting services, in this case accommodation.

The growth of sharing economy services is explained not only by the opportunities that the internet offers, but also by the increase in urbanisation. Urban living patterns result in proximity of people to each other but also in premium values of land and goods.

The increased cost of property and transport infrastructure for example, is a factor leading to lifestyles with less ownership and more access to goods based on short term use. Car sharing services, Uber transport services and Airbnb accommodation services are all examples of this phenomenon.

http://www.rwnowlan.ie/airbnb/

It is certainly strange that it is these sharing economy services that the current government is attempting to strangulate the most whilst the issues of public housing etc remain completely unaddressed by same ...

• Advertisement

gozunda wrote: »
    One of the possibly best description of Airbnb type accommodation that I found is

http://www.rwnowlan.ie/airbnb/

It is certainly strange that it is these sharing economy services that the current government is attempting to strangulate the most whilst the issues of public housing etc remain completely unaddressed by same ...
    What's strange about it? You think the two are mutually exclusive? :confused:

I haven't seen a single objection to sharing.

Sharing was the original purpose of AirBnB, rent your spare rooms or your home when you're out of town.

When you talk about wholesale removal of residential accommodation, that's not sharing.

awec wrote: »
    They'll probably come up with some crazy schemes like forcing property in residential zones to be residential, forcing business property to remain business property and what not.

Your next door neighbour might want to turn his house into a chipper shop and they'd probably ban that too. Shocking! Won't someone think of all the hungry people!

Wee Jimmy in the house behind wants to turn his gaff into a pub. That'd be banned. Damn communists, coming here and imposing restrictive planning permission on us all!

Some rich american has bought all the houses on the opposite side of the street, he wants to flatten them all and build a wind farm. Oh no, wait, there's that fecking planning permission again. Outrageous. Think of the climate!

Hyperbole especially when it has already been pointed out that not all airbnb letting requires planning permission.

Tbh the whole PP issue is largely a smokescreen afaics

Hyperbole especially when it has already been pointed out that not all airbnb letting requires planning permission.

AirBnB generally doesn't require planning permission for sharing.

It's hardly hyperbole, it's somewhat facetious but then again we've had tonnes of nonsense on this thread from people expressing faux concern for Ireland's tourists and the communist policies of Fine Gael so meh.

You need PP to turn your property into a hotel. Same as if you want to turn it into a pub, a chipper, a night club, a sex shop. Same as if you want to knock it down and build a new house that's 5 stories high. Same as if you want to knock down your suburban red brick house and build a metal box instead that's painted luminous pink. PP protects property owners.

Turning a residential property into a business (in this case a hotel) is detrimental in two ways. One it's awful for Ireland's property market and a massive problem when there is a housing crisis and two it impacts negatively on neighbours and nearby residents.

I haven't seen a single objection to sharing.
    Sharing was the original purpose of AirBnB, rent your spare rooms or your home when you're out of town.
    When you talk about wholesale removal of residential accommodation, that's not sharing.

Did you read the defintion or come up with your own? Most of the airbnb I've came across outside Dublin was never 'residential accomodation' for rent or lease in the first instance. Many home owners either have made a spare room available on a short term basis or have created or done up old property as short term letting which let's them provide flexible services which they share with others.

The mess that is the private rental market atm is a product of onerous conditions on both renters and those renting. Time that was sorted and not half baked notions from quangos who couldn't hit a bull on the rear end with a baking board ....

AirBnB generally doesn't require planning permission for sharing.

I agree - that's why this is largely hyperbole
    It's hardly hyperbole, it's somewhat facetious but then again we've had tonnes of nonsense on this thread from people expressing faux concern for Ireland's tourists and the communist policies of Fine Gael so meh.You need PP to turn your property into a hotel. Same as if you want to turn it into a pub, a chipper, a night club, a sex shop. Same as if you want to knock it down and build a new house that's 5 stories high. Same as if you want to knock down your suburban red brick house and build a metal box instead that's painted luminous pink. PP protects property owners.
    Turning a residential property into a business (in this case a hotel) is detrimental in two ways. One it's awful for Ireland's property market and a massive problem when there is a housing crisis and two it impacts negatively on neighbours and nearby residents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I don’t know if this is a serious post or if you are messing but enforcement of planning regulations that exist for the common good is not communism. It would be nice if we could all pick and choose what laws to abide by and what ones to break but we can’t.

Airbnb hosts have had a good innings and many have made a killing in recent years in fact but I think they all knew it couldn’t last in the current climate. If anybody effected feels that strongly about it they can apply for planning permission to change the use of their property.

Did you read the defintion or come up with your own? Most of the airbnb I've came across outside Dublin was never 'residential accomodation' for rent or lease in the first instance. Many home owners either have made a spare room available on a short term basis or have created or done up old property as short term letting which let's them provide flexible services which they share with others.

The mess that is the private rental market atm is a product of onerous conditions on both renters and those renting. Time that was sorted and not half baked notions from quangos who couldn't hit a bull on the rear end with a baking board ....
    It's what AirBnB was set up for. Rent out your spare room or your air mattress in your living room for a few quid now and then for travellers.

I agree - that's why this is largely hyperbole
    How?

• Advertisement

:confused:

Most of the AirBnB letting is inside Dublin.

It appears those letting a room in their own home (i.e. sharing) will will be largely untouched by the proposed changes.

It appears those letting a room in their own home (i.e. sharing) will will be largely untouched by the proposed changes.
    Probably just a limit on the amount of days per year.

mickeyk wrote: »
    I don’t know if this is a serious post or if you are messing but enforcement of planning regulations that exist for the common good is not communism. It would be nice if we could all pick and choose what laws to abide by and what ones to break but we can’t.
    Airbnb hosts have had a good innings and many have made a killing in recent years in fact but I think they all knew it couldn’t last in the current climate. If anybody effected feels that strongly about it they can apply for planning permission to change the use of their property.

The current requirements for planning permission are far from universal with regards to the different types of airbnb lettings.

Comments rabbiting on about PP as if it is absolutly de facto lack any credibility tbh ..

mickeyk wrote: »

Most won't apply for PP (or a license or whatever they end up calling it) because they know they have absolutely no chance of getting it.

Hence all the moaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,488 ✭✭✭Ginger83

Just claim to live there.

Are they really? I can tell you that there are many many airbnb properties all over the country and not just Dublin. The current planning regulations that some keep on barking about are a lot less definitive than have been made out. As you have noticed those on soap boxes are making no differentiation between the different types of airbnb accommodation. Hence my post on that subject ...

The current requirements for planning permission are far from universal with regards to the different types of airbnb lettings.

Comments rabbiting on about PP as if it is absolutly de facto lack any credibility tbh ..

Glossing over the planning requirements is what has many hosts concerned about the proposals.

Most won't apply for PP (or a license or whatever they end up calling it) because they know they have absolutely no chance of getting it. Hence all the moaning.

Nope the only moaning I'm seeing is about the evil nasty capitalist individuals who have the apparent temerity to venture into the business of renting

Nope the only moaning I'm seering is about the evil nasty capitalist individuals who have the apparent temerity to venture into the business of renting

Surely you mean the ones that have moved out of renting into the tourism business?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,158 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I would suggest comments rabbiting on about communism and protecting our tourism industry are even less credible.

My understanding is that there will be no issue with renting your spare room as Airbnb was originally intended. Changing the use of your property from residential to fully commercial (i.e. short term letting) would require a change of use planning application. I’m not an expert on planning admittedly.

Advertisement