Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Seems like a good deal on coal....

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

vectra wrote: »
    If it is of any benefit to any member here.
    I used the easyglow ovoids last year, Both sizes.
    They were great,

This season I have tried some Supertherm, So far I can feel a huge difference in both heat output and burn time.
    Supertherm outshines any other ovoids i have burned.
    I will be ordering a tonne of Supertherm.
    I would suggest anyone that wants to try ovoids to first go to their local depot and get a bag or two of supertherm to try.

From Kosy King? Seems that every second manufacturer has a product called Supertherm.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭john_doe.

If it is of any benefit to any member here.
    I used the easyglow ovoids last year, Both sizes.
    They were great,

This season I have tried some Supertherm, So far I can feel a huge difference in both heat output and burn time.
    Supertherm outshines any other ovoids i have burned.
    I will be ordering a tonne of Supertherm.
    I would suggest anyone that wants to try ovoids to first go to their local depot and get a bag or two of supertherm to try.

Where you buying the ton from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

I bought a Ton of Superflame off Coal Direct

They mailed me yesterday very sorry to inform me they only had 20kg bags and would the be acceptable

Waiting on delivery will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Roen wrote: »
    From Kosy King? Seems that every second manufacturer has a product called Supertherm.
    john_doe. wrote: »
    Where you buying the ton from?

Sorry
    I should have specified..
    I am buying it from my local Dairygold Store.

I get 2x40kg bags for €37.99
    I will get a Tonne for €450
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Smokeless-Coal/Supertherm-Smokeless-Fuel-40kg-Bag-0052082

Sorry
    I should have specified..
    I am buying it from my local Dairygold Store.

I get 2x40kg bags for €37.99
    I will get a Tonne for €450
    https://www.coopsuperstores.ie/Fuel--Heating/Solid-Fuel/Smokeless-Coal/Supertherm-Smokeless-Fuel-40kg-Bag-0052082

A ton delivered?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,504 ✭✭✭✭vectra

A ton delivered?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Sasso

A ton of this works out at €417 delivered. And very good reviews I think, not far off supertherm, unless I'm contradicted by someone experienced here.

https://staffordclarke.ie/product/superglow-smokeless-coal-40-kg/

I collected a ton of Staffords Superior Coal (silver bags) yesterday from a local supplier in Wexford for €445.

They were looking for €25 delivery but as its only 15 mins away and the fact that Im in need of a losing a few pounds I opted to collect it.

By my calculations ordering ovoids from the North would have been €380. Im happy to pay the little extra for coal that I know from previous use as being of great quality with terrific heat and decent burn time. In my opinion I have found it superior to the ovoids.

All set now....just wish it would get cold enough so I can start lighting the stove!!! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

TheTorment wrote: »
    I collected a ton of Staffords Superior Coal (silver bags) yesterday from a local supplier in Wexford for €445.

They were looking for €25 delivery but as its only 15 mins away and the fact that Im in need of a losing a few pounds I opted to collect it.

By my calculations ordering ovoids from the North would have been €380. Im happy to pay the little extra for coal that I know from previous use as being of great quality with terrific heat and decent burn time. In my opinion I have found it superior to the ovoids.

All set now....just wish it would get cold enough so I can start lighting the stove!!! :)

Have you ever used C.W ovoids? If so, i would appreciate if you could let me know how the this coal compares, as I reckon I will be looking for an alternative come my next tonne order.

Have you ever used C.W ovoids? If so, i would appreciate if you could let me know how the this coal compares, as I reckon I will be looking for an alternative come my next tonne order.

Yes I was using the CW ovoids for the past few years. In my opinion the Staffords lights easier, and the heat and burn time is very similar if not better. The only difference is that there are a few cinders left in the morning compared to the ovoids burning out to ash. Not a problem though as I just use the cinders when starting the next fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭Tinder Surprise

TheTorment wrote: »
    Yes I was using the CW ovoids for the past few years. In my opinion the Staffords lights easier, and the heat and burn time is very similar if not better. The only difference is that there are a few cinders left in the morning compared to the ovoids burning out to ash. Not a problem though as I just use the cinders when starting the next fire.

cheers mate.

will more than likely give them a whirl when on my next order

• Registered Users Posts: 8,670 ✭✭✭OmegaGene

This is the supertherm I’m using and it’s mighty stuff

http://www.cplfuels.ie/products/supertherm-smokeless-coal

The internet isn’t for everyone

OmegaGene wrote: »

Do you burn it in a stove or open fire ?

This is the deal in my local co-op.
    I'll go with this , not much price difference to north.

Is the Supertherm better than the Argina Cosyglow for open fires.

Alos any one know how the stoveheat premium compares to the Supertherm ?

Do you burn it in a stove or open fire ?

Stove

Stove

Thanks , I was wondering what the stoveheat premium was in comparison, seems to be targeted for stoves from CPL as well.

Thanks , I was wondering what the stoveheat premium was in comparison, seems to be targeted for stoves from CPL as well.

I tried that once and wasn’t overly impressed
    All you ca do is try some before making a big order

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭deisedav

This is the deal in my local co-op.
    I'll go with this , not much price difference to north.

Is the Supertherm better than the Argina Cosyglow for open fires.

Alos any one know how the stoveheat premium compares to the Supertherm ?

I would say the supertherm would pip the cosyglow for an open fire as it lasts a bit longer.

deisedav wrote: »
    I would say the supertherm would pip the cosyglow for an open fire as it lasts a bit longer.

Below is the makeup of the coal , may explain why :-)
    I actually thought PET coal was very bad for stoves , seems to be a lot in these . The argina Ecobrite seems to just be anthracite.

Cosyglo Argina
    comprise anthracite (as to approximately 35 to 50% of the total weight), petroleum coke (up to approximately 45% of the total weight), bituminous coal (up to approximately 20% of the total weight) and a starch or other organic binder (up to 5% of the total weight)

Supertherm CPL
    comprise anthracite fines (as to approximately 40 to 65% of the total weight), petroleum coke (as to approximately 20 to 40% of the total weight), bituminous coal (as to approximately 0 to 20% of the total weight), biomass (as to approximately 5 to 20% of the total weight), biomass char (as to approximately 0 to 10% of the total weight) and an organic binder or, molasses and acid binder (as to a maximum of 20% of the total weight)

Argina Ecobrite
    comprise anthracite fines (as to approximately 96% of the total weight) and starch as binder (as to the remaining weight)

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/fuels.php

• Registered Users Posts: 713 ✭✭✭soap1978

Below is the makeup of the coal , may explain why :-)
    I actually thought PET coal was very bad for stoves , seems to be a lot in these . The argina Ecobrite seems to just be anthracite.

Cosyglo Argina
    comprise anthracite (as to approximately 35 to 50% of the total weight), petroleum coke (up to approximately 45% of the total weight), bituminous coal (up to approximately 20% of the total weight) and a starch or other organic binder (up to 5% of the total weight)

Supertherm CPL
    comprise anthracite fines (as to approximately 40 to 65% of the total weight), petroleum coke (as to approximately 20 to 40% of the total weight), bituminous coal (as to approximately 0 to 20% of the total weight), biomass (as to approximately 5 to 20% of the total weight), biomass char (as to approximately 0 to 10% of the total weight) and an organic binder or, molasses and acid binder (as to a maximum of 20% of the total weight)

Argina Ecobrite
    comprise anthracite fines (as to approximately 96% of the total weight) and starch as binder (as to the remaining weight)

https://smokecontrol.defra.gov.uk/fuels.php
    so ecobrite is the best coal out of the 3 to buy?

• Advertisement

soap1978 wrote: »

Starnge it uses so much Anthracite. That should generate some serious heat.

I also find odd about these products , is their high content of PET coke.
    My stove manual warns against high content PET coke products as below.

Maybe I'm not intrepreting this correctly.

6. FUEL GUIDELINES
     This Boru Stove is fitted with a multi-fuel grate, which means that fuels such as; seasoned
    wood, peat (both with a moisture content of less than 20%) and peat briquettes. Coal can
    be used in moderation. But NEVER burn coal as a primary fuel.
     DO NOT use fuels with a high calorific value, petroleum coke content and/or petroleum
    based products.

Petroleum coke has a very high carbon content and is virtually ash free. Ash plays an
    important role when fuel burns as it helps to modify the combustion process e.g. the fire
    bed temperature forms an insulating layer at the base of the fire to protect the grate from
    direct contact with the burning fuel. With such low ash content in petroleum coke the fuel
    tends to burn at a higher temperature than mineral fuels. The components of solid fuel
    burning appliances are not generally designed to cope with the intensity of the heat that is
    generated by the burning of petroleum coke based fuels. High petroleum coke products
    are not as strong as approved fuels and are very prone to splitting causing hot embers to
    be ejected from the stove or causing a second burn in the ash pan, this could lead to an
    unsafe condition. High petroleum coke products can produce excessive soot deposits
    because of incomplete combustion due to high moisture, leading to a risk of fire in the
    chimney or liners. Burning petroleum based fuels will push your stove beyond it’s design
    capability. This will over fire your stove and void your extended warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,827 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

soap1978 wrote: »

Ecobrite is the best stove fuel by a mile. You can turn the air right down & get a long controlled burn.

The warnings are because, if you accidentally left the air open, it could melt the grate in the stove.

Discodog wrote: »
    Ecobrite is the best stove fuel by a mile. You can turn the air right down & get a long controlled burn.

The warnings are because, if you accidentally left the air open, it could melt the grate in the stove.

That exact thing happened to a friend of mine last season using the supertherm ovoids, he had the air open to light the fire then filled it up and went out, grate was warped and a crack appeared at the back of the stove
    When the stove company came out they gave him a telling off but replaced it because it shouldn’t have cracked.
    My stove is only a small one so I don’t need many ovoids in it and keep the air turned off, I lit the stove the other day and had to open the windows and back door lol it was roasting.

Discodog wrote: »

What you think makes Ecobrite the best stovefuel.
    Is it the composition of Anthracite? I'm guessing Anthracite is quite pricy . The other coals seem to mix PET etc..

End of day suppose it's about what's in the coal itself and science of it.
    We think heat , big ovoids etc, but guess we should be more concerned what's actually in it.

A coal may be hot but could also be destroying a stove

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Is there anything to be said for a bargain at all at all?

vicwatson wrote: »
    Is there anything to be said for a bargain at all at all?

Sorry off topic.

Up north it looks like coalite from what I can see.
    With CW price increase and shipping increase and also Easyglow increases doesn't seem as much of cost saving this year.

I'll be going with the co-op myself , for sake of 20-30 euro it's just easier , they are down road from me . I've saved €30 on my oil anyway thanks to the Topoil promo.

local fuel supplier star fuels Mitchelstown and clonmel
    20 x 40kg supertherm ovoids €368
    5 x 25kg bales of coal briquettes (rekord) €45
    Delivery coming tuesday

local fuel supplier star fuels Mitchelstown and clonmel
    20 x 40kg supertherm ovoids €368
    5 x 25kg bales of coal briquettes (rekord) €45
    Delivery coming tuesday

The co-op is now €358 for 20x40kgs Supertherm

The co-op is now €358 for 20x40kgs Supertherm

My local co op charge €25 for delivery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭2forjoy

Starnge it uses so much Anthracite. That should generate some serious heat.

I also find odd about these products , is their high content of PET coke.
    My stove manual warns against high content PET coke products as below.

Maybe I'm not intrepreting this correctly.

6. FUEL GUIDELINES
     This Boru Stove is fitted with a multi-fuel grate, which means that fuels such as; seasoned
    wood, peat (both with a moisture content of less than 20%) and peat briquettes. Coal can
    be used in moderation. But NEVER burn coal as a primary fuel.
     DO NOT use fuels with a high calorific value, petroleum coke content and/or petroleum
    based products.

Petroleum coke has a very high carbon content and is virtually ash free. Ash plays an
    important role when fuel burns as it helps to modify the combustion process e.g. the fire
    bed temperature forms an insulating layer at the base of the fire to protect the grate from
    direct contact with the burning fuel. With such low ash content in petroleum coke the fuel
    tends to burn at a higher temperature than mineral fuels. The components of solid fuel
    burning appliances are not generally designed to cope with the intensity of the heat that is
    generated by the burning of petroleum coke based fuels. High petroleum coke products
    are not as strong as approved fuels and are very prone to splitting causing hot embers to
    be ejected from the stove or causing a second burn in the ash pan, this could lead to an
    unsafe condition. High petroleum coke products can produce excessive soot deposits
    because of incomplete combustion due to high moisture, leading to a risk of fire in the
    chimney or liners. Burning petroleum based fuels will push your stove beyond it’s design
    capability. This will over fire your stove and void your extended warranty.

@ john.doe

I was looking at the link to the make up of these , and one thing it tells me is that none of the round ovids are manufactured in Northern Ireland . So I wonder who makes the CW ones ?

Advertisement