Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Importing a 2nd-hand CPO (Certified Pre-Owned) Tesla from the UK

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irltopper

Umbauk, thank you so much for the post - you gave me confidence to go get my Tesla from the UK myself instead of getting ripped off here and not getting the exact model I had my heart set on.

I picked up my car last week (a million apologies, I didn't think to give them your referral code) and it was the exact model I wanted (except I got executive seats which I didn't want but are pretty sweet).

Complete gentleman to post all that. Also thank you Giotto and others.

My journey:
    * I went with Axa and they were a pleasure to deal with, extending out the temporary cover when the Tesla was delayed.
    * Picked up the car at Manchester. Great tutorial showing me a few things I didn't know. Then drove to Hollyhead with a beaming smile. Tried Autopilot on the way and it's freaky at first, then freaking great.
    * I drove 20 miles and then topped up at a SuperCharger. Really glad I did as I had to drive to Cork and made it to the supercharger in Durrow with just 11mi left.
    * Registering car next week, I'll let you know what it costs then.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,635 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Can you give any details regarding the car/spec you got?
    Well wear BTW!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 irltopper

Sure. From the invoice:

Model S P90D
    All-Wheel Drive
    Range Upgrade
    Pearl White Multi-Coat Paint
    Sunroof
    21" Grey Turbine Wheels
    Black Next Generation Seats
    Obeche Wood Gloss Décor
    White Alcantara Headliner
    Ludicrous Speed Upgrade
    Carbon Fibre Spoiler
    Tesla Red Brake Calipers
    Autopilot Hardware 1 with Convenience Features
    Premium Interior and Lighting
    Smart Air Suspension
    Security Package

Excellent, well wear, how much did it cost you ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Giotto

Congrats irltopper - that is a magnificent machine.
    I look forward to seeing it around Cork

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

Just finished the import process for a 2015 Model S 85D, many thanks to everyone on the thread (and forum) for great info and advice.

Unfortunately, there were no CPO cars available around a month ago when I wanted to get the car, so got it from a dealer in the UK, just south of Birmingham. Drove back (autopilot is definitely a must have for long distance driving!) and got it into Tesla Dublin for a service. The rear suspension bushing and control arm was replaced but everything else was perfect. Dealer is covering the service and the 3-pin charging cable (UMC) which wasn't present with the car.

It's an Oct 2015 Model S 85D, midnight silver, with 19" wheels, sunroof, AP1, tech pack, dual chargers, premium interior, high fidelity sound and subzero pack. No air suspension or 7 seats but pretty well equipped!

Planning a trip to Poland with the kids in the summer, so should be an adventure!

Cost of car was just under £49k and VRT (paid last night) was €4,905. Insurance with FBD and no problem switching UK plates etc, but was roughly €500 increase (per annum) increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Well wear spuncy!

And long trips on the continent is where it's at with these Teslas. Do big miles in comfort and of course with free supercharging. Enjoy your trip :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

Wear well!!
    I'm not jealous*

* Disclaimer... may be a lie. :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Nice one, many years safe and comfortable motoring ahead.

Is there any warranty with this car and is it possible to put a figure on battery health ( like the 12 bars on the Leaf or Leafspy app ) on the Tesla.
    85D with those features is exactly the one to go for.

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 spuncy

Thanks, it really is a dream to drive and as the others have said, you have a big smile on your face every time you get into it!

Now, the warranty was the one issue I had. As it's Oct 2015, I assumed it was covered until Oct 2019. Then I noticed the warranty also depends on mileage and this had exceeded the 50k miles. A not very nice surprise to get after I had paid deposit and booked flights/ferry, etc. I was ready to cancel it all given the horror stories and how expensive the cars seem to be to fix out of warranty. Plus I felt like an idiot as I had seriously researched this yet this major thing slipped through.

First thing I did was contact the dealer and he checked with Tesla that there had been no issues with the car, which was a relief. Then I negotiated with him and he agreed to extend the standard 3 month warranty he was offering to October and he'd pay for a full Tesla service. The alternative was cancel everything and lose money on the travel. I checked against other similar cars of the same price and all things considered the car was working out a few grand below other similar cars, which would have had warranties into 2019.

So a calculated risk with the warranty reduced by a year (from what I had thought) but no issues with the car except for the suspension, which was replaced during the service and covered by dealer warranty, total around €450. Keith and Tom in Tesla Dublin gave it a very thorough going over so I'm happy enough for now.

I was planning on a CPO like Umbauk and Giotto and paying more than from a dealer, purely for the warranty and peace of mind, but that just wasn't an option last month. If I had copped the mileage exceeded warranty then I probably wouldn't have considered the car. Given the spec and condition of the car having bought it, driven it and had it checked by Tesla, I'm happy enough I went for it.

Check with me next year to see if it has paid off, or if I have to sell my remaining kidney to maintain the car :)

On the battery health, I don't know if there's a Leafspy equivalent, I'm afraid. The battery and drive train still has the 8 year warranty and it gives 410km range on the display after a full charge. It's probably around right, maybe closer to 380km depending.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 umbauk

Congrats Irltopper and Spuncy! Delighted for you. Glad to hear the post was useful.

I can recommend joining the Tesla Owners Ireland group on Facebook if you haven't already - a good place to get advice and tips!

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

Looking at bringing in a Tesla from the UK in the next few months if I can get my finances in order.

Ideally I’d get something just over 6 months and just over 6,000kms, however the selection of used vehicles from Tesla is quite poor so would consider buying a new one from the inventory available. This would then be a new car and would be liable to VAT in Ireland, anyone know if I can avoid paying the UK VAT and just pay the VAT here? Or do I have to buy through a business to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 465 ✭✭Ewan Hoosarmi

hatrack wrote: »
    Looking at bringing in a Tesla from the UK in the next few months if I can get my finances in order.

Ideally I’d get something just over 6 months and just over 6,000kms, however the selection of used vehicles from Tesla is quite poor so would consider buying a new one from the inventory available. This would then be a new car and would be liable to VAT in Ireland, anyone know if I can avoid paying the UK VAT and just pay the VAT here? Or do I have to buy through a business to do that?
    You and the dealer fill out a VAT 411 form. It's a declaration that the car will be removed from the UK. Some kind of proof might be needed for the dealer. Boat tickets or the like. The dealer then invoices you VAT free and you pay the VAT and VRT due when you present it for NCT.

The same can be done for a second hand car if it is under 6 months old or under 6k kms.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tails_naf

Did anyone notice the terms change on the Tesla website? It says the vehicle is sold locally only and cannot be exported (or at least they won't help export it).

Text reads:
    "Domestic Sale Only

You acknowledge and agree that the Vehicle is sold to you locally in the country of delivery and that you shall not involve us in any export procedures and/or submit any related export documentation on our behalf. We reserve the right to cancel your order should you violate any of these obligations."

It appears to be on all websites in europe so not sure if it's intended to disrupt the UK-ireland export. Hope not as I'm seriously considering one...

tails_naf wrote: »
    Did anyone notice the terms change on the Tesla website? It says the vehicle is sold locally only and cannot be exported (or at least they won't help export it).

Text reads:
    "Domestic Sale Only

You acknowledge and agree that the Vehicle is sold to you locally in the country of delivery and that you shall not involve us in any export procedures and/or submit any related export documentation on our behalf. We reserve the right to cancel your order should you violate any of these obligations."

It appears to be on all websites in europe so not sure if it's intended to disrupt the UK-ireland export. Hope not as I'm seriously considering one...
    Yes I saw that, and it is not listed in the US listings just the UK ones.
    I also checked the german and it is included in the german listings too. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

I read that as "don't be exporting Model 3's"

ewj1978 wrote: »
    I read that as "don't be exporting Model 3's"
    But it's only included on listings in countries that do not yet have the model 3

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭hatrack

It’s only appearing on used cars. No such message on new inventory.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,801 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

You and the dealer fill out a VAT 411 form. It's a declaration that the car will be removed from the UK. Some kind of proof might be needed for the dealer. Boat tickets or the like. The dealer then invoices you VAT free and you pay the VAT and VRT due when you present it for NCT.

The same can be done for a second hand car if it is under 6 months old or under 6k kms.

Bold bit by me, how would the NCT centre know you have bought the car VAT free? If you show them a typed up invoice how would they be aware of the VAT implication?

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭ewj1978

They don't know. They will charge you VAT regardless of whether you have paid it in UK or not.

VAT will not be applied if older than 6 months and over 6000 kms.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

slave1 wrote:
    Bold bit by me, how would the NCT centre know you have bought the car VAT free? If you show them a typed up invoice how would they be aware of the VAT implication?

NCT will charge VAT regardless. If you have already paid vat in UK there is a mechanism to claim it back from the UK, hour I don't have details as I bought my car ex vat (2 month old Ioniq)

hatrack wrote: »
    It’s only appearing on used cars. No such message on new inventory.

Did anyone else get confirmation if this is preventing cpo cars from being sold to Ireland? I called tesla Dublin and they did not know, called a tesla store in the UK and they did not know. I'm sick of trying to get through to the cpo number it never answers and they seem to not call back either.... new car sales do pickup, just cpo do not.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 agentblue

I was in the Tesla showroom in Dublin yesterday. One of the guys, Cillian was very helpful. He confirmed that Tesla Ireland WILL NOT honor the 4 year extended warranty that is offered on CPO cars in the UK. They will only honor the original warranty which starts on the date of first registration.
    This means that for anyone who was looking at a CPO car from the UK, including myself, it might no longer make sense to pay the premium that is on the CPO cars for a warranty that will not be honored.
    Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 961 ✭✭✭aliveandkicking

agentblue wrote: »
    I was in the Tesla showroom in Dublin yesterday. One of the guys, Cillian was very helpful. He confirmed that Tesla Ireland WILL NOT honor the 4 year extended warranty that is offered on CPO cars in the UK. They will only honor the original warranty which starts on the date of first registration.
    This means that for anyone who was looking at a CPO car from the UK, including myself, it might no longer make sense to pay the premium that is on the CPO cars for a warranty that will not be honored.
    Hope this helps.

I suggest you get this double checked with Tesla Europe HQ in Tilburg or ask to get it in writing off Dublin as I believe Cillian to be incorrect here. Tesla honour warranties across the European Economic Area. For example a CPO Tesla bought in say France will have it's warranty honoured in Germany. The same should apply UK to Ireland at least until the UK leaves the EU.

Edit: Tesla Europe CPO warranty document here confirming warranty honoured across European Economic Area.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/Tesla_Pre-Owned_Warranty-EU.pdf

I got a reply from tesla uk sales by email saying they don't do cross border sales to Ireland. I followed up to clarify that this also excludes me coming to the UK and picking it up in person (which was always my plan) to see if that makes a difference. I'll post here if I get a reply.

I'm not thst worried about the extended warranty - id just like the option of getting a cpo car as there are some nice ones.

It's actually illegal for them not to sell to anyone in the EU, but Mercedes UK won't sell to irish buyers either, so hopefully they are not going down that road...

- snip-

Edit: Tesla Europe CPO warranty document here confirming warranty honoured across European Economic Area.

https://www.tesla.com/sites/default/files/Tesla_Pre-Owned_Warranty-EU.pdf

Page 2 of that document seems to say that they will honour the warranty provided you bring it back to the country of original cpo purchase.
    Transport of a non driving model s back to the UK would be costly I would imagine!!
    Still worth a phone call though.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,053 ✭✭✭✭unkel

agentblue wrote: »
    Transport of a non driving model s back to the UK would be costly I would imagine!!

Last time I looked Northern Ireland was still part of the UK ;)

unkel wrote: »
    Last time I looked Northern Ireland was still part of the UK ;)

Is there a service centre in Norn Iron

• Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭zep

New wording on Tesla UK used section, well I never noticed it previously, doesn't suggest it can't be exported but still. 
    "Domestic Sale Only You acknowledge and agree that the Vehicle is sold to you locally in the country of delivery and that you shall not involve us in any export procedures and/or submit any related export documentation on our behalf. We reserve the right to cancel your order should you violate any of these obligations"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 LAcer

When I looked online the Manchester Tesla website states warranties are only valid for domestic sales.

Advertisement