Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economic growth doubles to 9%

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

I would say the reality if the figures were broken down are even more shocking. From what I can see Waterford has definitely regressed relative to the rest of the cities and smaller towns are going absolutely nowhere. Travelled the Waterford to Limerick road a couple of weeks, if ever there was a journey in Ireland to make you question "what recovery" that was it.

I'm estimating Dublin and possibly Cork have actually experienced growth in the region of 15%+ and a lot of the rest of the country continues to suffer. Keep the recovery going. (For Leo and his rich friends)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Economic growth is set to double so who cares about the house prices, rents and the homeless?

Not me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

damned if I do damned if I don't.

buy a house now at the "top" of the market and go into negative equity or continue to pay rents spiralling ever farther out of reach.

If you buy a house that you can live in for the rest of your days negative equity is less of an issue as prices will go up and down in your lifetime. It's making sure you can make repayments during any downturn is the important part. The biggest cause of the problems before was "starter homes" to get on the "ladder". Don't buy until you're sure you can stay there

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Mooooo wrote: »
    If you buy a house that you can live in for the rest of your days negative equity is less of an issue as prices will go up and down in your lifetime. It's making sure you can make repayments during any downturn is the important part. The biggest cause of the problems before was "starter homes" to get on the "ladder". Don't buy until you're sure you can stay there
    I've no interest in the ladder tbh the childer will just have to share rooms, tough sheite

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Mooooo wrote: »

Sound advice.

No house is ever perfect, but when you are spending that kind of money, you need to know it will last you more than a decade if necessary.

There are people who bought one-bed apartments without thinking what they wanted to do with their lives over the next decade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Why are the Multinationals importing less, has it something to do with changes in corporate taxation.

Something to do with a free Britain moving its corpo tax downwards with nobody looking over their shoulder.

This is going to hurt and there is nothing we can do but ask the remaining euro-partners to cut us some slack.

Most of the multis here are quite footloose.

You could make a right funny thread on here though by posting a comparative table of growth predictions Vs. actual results.
    Might be hard getting hands on historical predictions - they are probably all deleted :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

It's all in Dublin and the Pale. Feck all sign of 9% pa in Waterford or most parts of the country.

Waterford??

Are you mad, the ida Park has numerous massive pharmaceutical factories etc been built, its booming.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,067 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I was offered a 60,000 euro loan in BOI in Wexford Street in 2007 when first came home.

When you think back to the time when country was going crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I've no interest in the ladder tbh the childer will just have to share rooms, tough sheite

Comment wasn't directed at you , just a general statement. I'm mid 30's and most people I knw that had brothers and sisters all shared growing up. My sister's kids are the same now. Won't do em any harm. Should be a case of building up in cities for younger people to rent or share and allow families to live in the houses rather than 4 younger people renting a house that suit a family or whatever. Booms and busts may come and go but planning has to change to sort housing and transport

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I was bolloxed when everything went tits up 10 years ago. I was a nearly qualified plumber and living waaay beyond my means. Didn't help when I had banks ringing me offering me loans. Got into a mess that I'm thankful that I worked myself out of. I have zero loans now and if I want something I save for it. Even now I'm getting a few emails and calls about loans and finance. Not happening. If and when the next crash happens I'll be well prepared with zero debts and a few bob saved.

Fair play.

But I wonder how many have quickly forgotten that only 5 or 6 years ago this country was still in bad way.

You would wonder will it be very Same learn from when the next recession hits us in next couple of years

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

Waterford??

Are you mad, the ida Park has numerous massive pharmaceutical factories etc been built, its booming.

lol. You haven't actually been to Waterford in a while have you?

One, one pharma plant has been built; West Pharma and hasnt come close to the "projected jobs" announced to such fanfare.

In the meantime, how's Cork, Galway for ecample getting on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭JJJJNR

We're coming to the end of the cycle now, one more year of economic growth and it will break the record of longest period of growth. Won't happen though.

• Site Banned Posts: 272 ✭✭Loves_lorries

JJJJNR wrote: »
    We're coming to the end of the cycle now, one more year of economic growth and it will break the record of longest period of growth. Won't happen though.

I'd have thought we had longer periods of growth in the past, is growth since 2013 such an impressive run?

The level is but is the duration anyway special.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

The 9% isn’t appearing in my paycheck.

I'd have thought we had longer periods of growth in the past, is growth since 2013 such an impressive run?

The level is but is the duration anyway special.

Yes we did. Decades in fact but it was slooow growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,795 ✭✭✭✭listermint

topper75 wrote: »
    Something to do with a free Britain moving its corpo tax downwards with nobody looking over their shoulder.

This is going to hurt and there is nothing we can do but ask the remaining euro-partners to cut us some slack.

Most of the multis here are quite footloose.

You could make a right funny thread on here though by posting a comparative table of growth predictions Vs. actual results.
    Might be hard getting hands on historical predictions - they are probably all deleted :-)

Doesn't matter what the UK do.if they aren't given access to the EU market then they won't be getting any multinationals.

More fool them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

What alternative economic theory would you suggest we pursue? Back of a fag packet sort of stuff.

One that involves creating a fair society.

Some people seem so obsessed with the economy as if it’s the be all and end all.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

No borrowings no debts eyes wide open from the last time

Give it another year heavily involved in construction so I have a six month warning before the next big one

Don't buy anything now you can't afford if you were to lose your job

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

engiweirdo wrote: »
    lol. You haven't actually been to Waterford in a while have you?

One, one pharma plant has been built; West Pharma and hasnt come close to the "projected jobs" announced to such fanfare.

In the meantime, how's Cork, Galway for ecample getting on?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056878580/73

You need to get out and about mate and be positive.

That one is how many has been BUILT.

There is more under construction.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I was offered a 60,000 euro loan in BOI in Wexford Street in 2007 when first came home.

One of the stand out moments of the old boom for me was a girl in the audience on one of RTEs shows (maybe Prime Time?) when they were analyzing the crash, she said she had got a mortgage that was 13x her salary.

Now I know that maybe she did a bit of fiddling the figures herself, but even with some bluffing, the bank must have known she was in way over her head.

• Advertisement

Without being funny 60k loan isnt alot. ...

On its face your comment doesn't really say Celtic tiger

NIMAN wrote: »
    One of the stand out moments of the old boom for me was a girl in the audience on one of RTEs shows (maybe Prime Time?) when they were analyzing the crash, she said she had got a mortgage that was 13x her salary.

Now I know that maybe she did a bit of fiddling the figures herself, but even with some bluffing, the bank must have known she was in way over her head.

I don't doubt that. Many many had ten times their salary.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,256 ✭✭✭facehugger99

This time it’s different.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,218 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I'm just sorry I didn't buy some Dublin property in the 2008-2011 period, I could have retired now selling it to some maniacs with no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,298 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Economic growth is set to double so who cares about the house prices, rents and the homeless?

You'd prefer a shrinking economy?

listermint wrote: »
    Without being funny 60k loan isnt alot. ...

On its face your comment doesn't really say Celtic tiger

No it probably isn't. But I had grand total of 4 euro 29 cent in it for 2 years while I worked and studies abroad that you kinda think maybe I might least be asked Could I pay it back

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,111 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

lawred2 wrote: »
    You'd prefer a shrinking economy?
    I'd prefer a sustainable one.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Site Banned Posts: 386 ✭✭Jimmy.

Wibbs wrote: »
    I'd prefer a sustainable one.

We need more council houses.

It’s interesting the reactions here. Like wibbs I would prefer growth of 2-3% a year and not 9%. The latter seems like a car that’s over accelerating and going out of control. Doesn’t seem to benefit most people either. There’s such an overhang from 2008 there’s no real capacity for tax cuts and they would overheat the economy anyway. My mortgage is where it was a few years ago. Renters are worse off than they were. Homelessness is up and the hospitals are a disaster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,705 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

One that involves creating a fair society.

Some people seem so obsessed with the economy as if it’s the be all and end all.

What is a fair society though?

Advertisement