Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economic growth doubles to 9%

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,395 ✭✭✭✭road_high

jacksie66 wrote: »
    I was bolloxed when everything went tits up 10 years ago. I was a nearly qualified plumber and living waaay beyond my means. Didn't help when I had banks ringing me offering me loans. Got into a mess that I'm thankful that I worked myself out of. I have zero loans now and if I want something I save for it. Even now I'm getting a few emails and calls about loans and finance. Not happening. If and when the next crash happens I'll be well prepared with zero debts and a few bob saved.

I think there's a lot more people living like this now compared to 10/12 years ago. Definitely in my peer groups this is what people are doing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭engiweirdo

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056878580/73

You need to get out and about mate and be positive.

That one is how many has been BUILT.

There is more under construction.

There's nothing in that thread but eejits dreaming about projects that might get a block laid by 2022 if we're lucky. No way I'm trawling through 70 pages of that. Need to be more specific. Waterford is an economic cesspit and is going backwards. You'd need serious blinkers on not to see it.

Elessar wrote: »
    The ESRI has just doubled its forecast for Irish economic growth to nearly 9% for 2018 from its previous estimate.

We're once again the fastest growing economy in Europe. Don't get me wrong this is good news, but this level of growth is completely unsustainable. I feel completely uneasy about this. I fear the boom and bust cycle is still in full swing, and we're currently in boom.

Is anyone seeing a pattern here? Should alarm bells be going off!?

I think we are all in the same boat in terms of feeling that bit uneasy about the whole thing which is good to know because by contrast around 06,07 there was apartments in Bulgaria, shopping trips to New York, etc.....but id fear those government idiots making another catastrophic decision if the arse fell out overnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

I think we are all in the same boat in terms of feeling that bit uneasy about the whole thing which is good to know because by contrast around 06,07 there was apartments in Bulgaria, shopping trips to New York, etc.....but id fear those government idiots making another catastrophic decision if the arse fell out overnight.

This is what I don't get form all these threads about government bashing, like you do know that the government are jus the guys that deliver what the top civil servants tell them to do right?

Brian Cowan and co didn't decide themselves to give that bank guarantee 10 years ago - they were advised by top civil servants, many of whom are probably still in the same department.

I don't think people are uneasy about it to be honest, I think it's more central bank rules have meant it's harder to get a mortgage to buy the property people want in Dublin, so more people are renting, which while it pushes the cost of renting up, it means there are less people with mortgages, which is good for when the inevitable bust cycle comes round again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

A no deal brexit is going to mess us up for a couple of years. I find it hard to how a deal is going to be reached by march

• Advertisement

When Brendan O'Connor comes out to tell us all again that "all the smart ballsy guys are buying up property" it will be far too late to abandon ship.

7 years of the Blueshirts, and the housing situation has only got much worse for everyone but their developer friends who continue to hold this society to ransom under a Fine Gael ideology which refuses to have the state back building houses for the poor.

Meanwhile, in the Great Depression of the 1930s, De Valera's Fianna Fáil managed to get the money to build 132,000 homes for Ireland's poorest people, clearing out large swathes of Dublin's infamous slums in the process.

Understandably, the Dev haters always recoil in disarray when this contrast is highlighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭tobsey

When Brendan O'Connor comes out to tell us all again that "all the smart ballsy guys are buying up property" it will be far too late to abandon ship.

7 years of the Blueshirts, and the housing situation has only got much worse for everyone but their developer friends who continue to hold this society to ransom under a Fine Gael ideology which refuses to have the state back building houses for the poor.

Meanwhile, in the Great Depression of the 1930s, De Valera's Fianna Fáil managed to get the money to build 132,000 homes for Ireland's poorest people, clearing out large swathes of Dublin's infamous slums in the process.

Understandably, the Dev haters always recoil in disarray when this contrast is highlighted.

The housing situation has got better for everyone who owns their own house, especially those who bought 2000-2009. That’s a lot of people in this country.

Those social houses became the absolute sh*tholes in our cities for which we are still paying massively in terms of crime and deprivation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

Please fasten your seatbelts!
    We could well be in for another ff softlanding!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Meanwhile, in the Great Depression of the 1930s, De Valera's Fianna F managed to get the money to build 132,000 homes for Ireland's poorest people, clearing out large swathes of Dublin's infamous slums in the process.

amazing how FF are being held up as heroes considering their part in the 10-15yrs of Irish financial history.

Ace2007 wrote: »
    This is what I don't get form all these threads about government bashing, like you do know that the government are jus the guys that deliver what the top civil servants tell them to do right?

Brian Cowan and co didn't decide themselves to give that bank guarantee 10 years ago - they were advised by top civil servants, many of whom are probably still in the same department.

I don't think people are uneasy about it to be honest, I think it's more central bank rules have meant it's harder to get a mortgage to buy the property people want in Dublin, so more people are renting, which while it pushes the cost of renting up, it means there are less people with mortgages, which is good for when the inevitable bust cycle comes round again.

Yes i would agree, but doesn't it alarm you even more that our elected members are mere puppets and that faceless bureaucrats are pulling the strings? Governments are voted in to lead but it seems they are just there to follow. No level of autocracy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,719 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Yes i would agree, but doesn't it alarm you even more that our elected members are mere puppets and that faceless bureaucrats are pulling the strings? Governments are voted in to lead but it seems they are just there to follow. No level of autocracy

Don't get alarmed, they are just workers doing their jobs. And they have faces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭Wheres Me Jumper?

NIMAN wrote: »
    amazing how FF are being held up as heroes considering their part in the 10-15yrs of Irish financial history.

FF are and imho always have been economic delinquents.
    you have a short memory young man. we are still living with the consequences of their disastrous 1977 ffing (one for everbody in the audience) budget!

Don't get alarmed, they are just workers doing their jobs. And they have faces.

Yes, but when they decide again the best course of action is to throw the irish people under a bus and bail out the banks when the next bubble bursts it could fúck another generation up while they still get their high paid pensionable jobs and continue the same cycle.

Yes, but when they decide again the best course of action is to throw the irish people under a bus and bail out the banks when the next bubble bursts it could fúck another generation up while they still get their high paid pensionable jobs and continue the same cycle.

It was the politicians who decided to do a bail out the last time. They were very popular politicians who the people elected for three terms. Don't blame the workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭PistolsAtDawn

Elessar wrote: »
    The ESRI has just doubled its forecast for Irish economic growth to nearly 9% for 2018 from its previous estimate.

We're once again the fastest growing economy in Europe. Don't get me wrong this is good news, but this level of growth is completely unsustainable. I feel completely uneasy about this. I fear the boom and bust cycle is still in full swing, and we're currently in boom.

Is anyone seeing a pattern here? Should alarm bells be going off!?

I can barely afford rent let alone buy a property, to be honest I hope the arse falls out of the country as I might be able to put a roof over my head then.

All this economic growth, how come our wages don't go up significantly

I can barely afford rent let alone buy a property, to be honest I hope the arse falls out of the country as I might be able to put a roof over my head then.

Your unfortunate circumstances is actually a good indicator of no repeat of what happened before. Last time out you would have been given a 100% loan, even though you would not have been able to make the repayments. When the next downturn comes, this will mean there won't be any negative equity.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

engiweirdo wrote: »
    I would say the reality if the figures were broken down are even more shocking. From what I can see Waterford has definitely regressed relative to the rest of the cities and smaller towns are going absolutely nowhere. Travelled the Waterford to Limerick road a couple of weeks, if ever there was a journey in Ireland to make you question "what recovery" that was it.

I'm estimating Dublin and possibly Cork have actually experienced growth in the region of 15%+ and a lot of the rest of the country continues to suffer. Keep the recovery going. (For Leo and his rich friends)

Usual begrudgery

The 9% isn’t appearing in my paycheck.

Get another job then.

engiweirdo wrote: »
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2056878580/73

You need to get out and about mate and be positive.

That one is how many has been BUILT.

There is more under construction.

There's nothing in that thread but eejits dreaming about projects that might get a block laid by 2022 if we're lucky. No way I'm trawling through 70 pages of that. Need to be more specific. Waterford is an economic cesspit and is going backwards. You'd need serious blinkers on not to see it.

So you you won't actually read anything either that doesn't agree with your pre formed views.

OK then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

There was a time when wages generally grew at the same rate as the economy. Not just here but everywhere.

This 9% is going to profits. The working population hasn’t increased by 9%

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

maninasia wrote: »
    Get another job then.

It isn’t appearing in most people’s pay checks. (Why do weak minds always personalise things?)

You are the one who personalised it.
    If you can't get such an increase from current employer (common situation ) can change employer , especially as job market has picked up.

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/robust-growth-in-macroeconomic-indicators-is-not-illusory-1.3615774?mode=amp

Total employment rose by 74,100 in the year to June, which is very strong job creation by any yardstick

• Registered Users Posts: 33,143 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

When the next downturn comes, this will mean there won't be any negative equity.

Sorry but got to disagree with this.

Some of the mad money being spent on property in Dublin now will surely mean people will be in NE should another crash happen.

Usual begrudgery

Get out and around outside Dublin/The extended "Pale" area much? There's a very different Ireland out there.

So you you won't actually read anything either that doesn't agree with your pre formed views.

OK then.

Got back through 10 pages, nothing contained in any of them to back up wheeliebins "evidence" , I'm not reading 70 pages of nonsense to find some obscure he said/she said post that apparently confirms "Waterford is booming". I live here ffs, the only things experiencing growth here the last 10 years are rents and heroin use.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

lawred2 wrote: »
    You'd prefer a shrinking economy?

Where did I say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Ace2007 wrote: »
    What is a fair society though?

One that allows hard working people to own their own home for starters.

One that isn’t obsessed with the “market” sorting everything out.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

NIMAN wrote: »
    Sorry but got to disagree with this.

Some of the mad money being spent on property in Dublin now will surely mean people will be in NE should another crash happen.

Some of the prices I am seeing in certain not great areas of the city are more outrageous than during the tiger

There will be negative equity

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

But that’s all we’re hearing now is spend spend spend on houses, people have very short memories.
    Electorates have short memories.

Consider yourself when you were young. At what age did you really start to become aware of economics, of how government budgets and employment rates affected you, and the nuances of supply/demand/inflation/recession.

At 16? Nah. Maybe you had difficulty getting a part time job, maybe your parents gave you less pocket money.

At 18? Same, probably not much effect, though a little more awareness with your impending entry into college/working.

At 19/20/21, probably starting to kick in.

Now consider that the crash happened in 2008/2009/2010. But the factors which caused it (runaway mortgage lending and personal credit) were at their peak in 2004/5/6.

Which means there are people today who are 30 (or approaching it), who had no real awareness of the last crash. They didn't see the crazy boom times leading up to it, and the abandonment of financial prudence that was everywhere. Because they were only children at the time.

Which makes them doomed to make the same mistakes without external intervention.

Advertisement