Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Arcade and Retro Chat - Insert Coin -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Some sweet retro goodness here:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Inviere

^^ that's just, well, wow. It's not a collection though, it's a museum at that stage. Real "if money were no object" stuff there

• Registered Users Posts: 710 ✭✭✭80s Synth Pop

He said he was a cracker in the amiga scene. Anyone know his old handle and scene group?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I lived in Sligo for three years, when I did my nurse training, loved it too!
    Lotsa rain though!

• Registered Users Posts: 34,384 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

Ever decide to try out a fencing class because you know, it looks cool - but when you get there, it turns out to be a studio full of people taking out full metal broadswords? :eek:

Just spent the evening hacking at and parrying attacks from in many cases, women half my size. I'm ****ing knackared and have a newfound respect for Connor MacLeod.

By the end of the evening I thought I was a character from Dark Souls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭Jack burton

o1s1n wrote: »
    Ever decide to try out a fencing class because you know, it looks cool - but when you get there, it turns out to be a studio full of people taking out full metal broadswords? :eek:

Just spent the evening hacking at and parrying attacks from in many cases, women half my size. I'm ****ing knackared and have a newfound respect for Connor MacLeod.

By the end of the evening I thought I was a character from Dark Souls.

Fencing is a proper art and seriously technical. It's been in the Olympics since the modern games began I think.

Keep it up man! As much as I love gaming and stuff, I'll start to go a little stir crazy if I don't go to our gym 3-4 times a week. Definitely a great way to not feel guilty for spending hours gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I've been off work since Thursday and not back in until next Tuesday. The days are long and boring but I love it. I have time to pick up random retro games and just enjoy them while also getting random collectable trophies in PS4 games. Need to fit in a few more movies though.

Definitely much needed time off. Work has been insane the last 3 weeks due to people taking holidays and in general the last 2 months have been flat out. Only took 1 week off in May so feeling burned out at the moment. Happy to do sweet feck all!

New things out called Emulators, anyone heard of them? There's one called MAME, which has over 140 games apparently!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,526 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Inviere wrote: »
    New things out called Emulators, anyone heard of them? There's one called MAME, which has over 140 games apparently!

If only there was a forum for this new thing, perhaps we should wait, see if they take off and make a decision then....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

And I can get these games from the 'net you say? I must start using this... 'net.

• Advertisement

pinksoir wrote: »
    And I can get these games from the 'net you say? I must start using this... 'net.

It's probably something cyber... all the fancy things are cyber these days.
    Of course, these days, the only thing net are the pants I were to hold my incontinence pad on....

Master of the Universe

'Surfing the net' has to be the most 90's phrase of all time. It's forever entwined in my mind with the sound of dialup internet and low resolution windows icons.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,906 ✭✭✭CosmicSmash

I wonder will there be any takers for this one.:pac:

philips-cdi-classic.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I still like the first two Zelda games and Hotel Mario is.... playable.

I'll take one :D

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I still like the first two Zelda games and Hotel Mario is.... playable.

I'll take one :D

They’re not not Zelda games though :o

Hopefully it's just someone's idea of a sick joke.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭pinksoir

o1s1n wrote: »
    'Surfing the net' has to be the most 90's phrase of all time. It's forever entwined in my mind with the sound of dialup internet and low resolution windows icons.
    giphy.gif

Master of the Universe

Haha! That gif literally has it all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps3-games-warhawk-twisted-metal-playstation-all-stars-shutting-down-october-25-2018.71240/

Sony can FECK RIGHT OFF with this! Warhawk still had an active community as of a few months ago.

Some tune

• Advertisement

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ps3-games-warhawk-twisted-metal-playstation-all-stars-shutting-down-october-25-2018.71240/

Sony can FECK RIGHT OFF with this! Warhawk still had an active community as of a few months ago.

Like Sony give two ****s about active communities, you'll probably see more and more announcements like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,993 ✭✭✭Nerdkiller1991

Like Sony give two ****s about active communities, you'll probably see more and more announcements like that.
    Well, considering the rumours of them deactivating PSN on PS3 altogether to make way for features like changing your username, I fully expect it.

Still, there better damn be a port of Warhawk (and let's be fair, Twisted Metal '12) for PS4 or 5 down the line.

Well, considering the rumours of them deactivating PSN on PS3 altogether to make way for features like changing your username, I fully expect it.

That’ll be very interesting, if they do. I’m not a fan of buying digital as is on console, but that’d prob be the nail in the coffin for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

PC really showing a lot more longevity in this respect. Get on Discord/Steam communities these days and you can generally find people willing to play any 90's game online with a little bit of notice.

Traded the Dreamcast and some games in for a boxed version in The Rage.

I guess they didn't test the first controller port because it doesn't work...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,948 ✭✭✭Doge

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Traded the Dreamcast and some games in for a boxed version in The Rage.

I guess they didn't test the first controller port because it doesn't work...

Bit silly to admit that you traded in a console with a fault on a public forum maybe? :confused:

Edit: Just realized you meant the boxed console you received from them has the fault.

Doge wrote: »
    Bit silly to admit that you traded in a console with a fault on a public forum maybe? :confused:

Edit: Just realized you meant the boxed console you received from them has the fault.

I thought the exact same thing :o

Yeah the one I received has the dodgy port now I have to make my way into town again, maybe Monday. To top it off, traffic was ****e!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

The guys at HG101 are all really digging a new shmup on steam called ZeroRanger.

Apparently its a fantastic, non-bullet hell shmup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Not strictly retro but genuinely a serious question.

Is Duke Nukem Forever as bad as people say? Was watching Kim Justice's documentary on it and I'm getting interested in playing it. Pity it's not compatible with Xbox One, would have to dig out the 360.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement