Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,733 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Eamonnator wrote: »
    35kgs!!
    Are you sure?
    my colleague has my copy of 'lanterne rouge' so i can't check it; that was the source of my (possibly badly remembered) claim.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,733 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

You were right about my bike though. I think it's 40kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

I know this is going to sound like a tall tale but anyway....
    Myself and the family are in Northern Italy at the moment. We were travelling from Milan to a place on the Austrian border and went via the Stelvio Pass. We had just started up on the west side, about the 4th or 5th bend when up ahead a guy high sided coming out of the next bend. He had a fairly hard impact with a wall so I stopped straight away to see that he was alright. Couple of deep cuts to the face and a lot of blood. I got his bottle and cleaned him a bit but there was no first aid kit in the hire car. The bleeding was stopping anyway. He seemed aware of what was going on and I wouldn't have said he was concussed but I'm no expert. Helmet took a couple of bangs.....he was also a doctor so didn't seem too bothered and just wanted to be on his way. Headed off at a slower speed. Rule 5 right there.
    The other thing that amazed me was the number of cyclists that passed and not one stopped. I stopped in a car and 2 bikers but no cyclists.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I understand what you're saying, but there were 3 people stopped. Not a whole lot another person could do unless they were medically trained. A crowd can often make a person feel worse and they may hop up to get away from it when they should be taking a little more time out.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Nice analysis of Dublin Bike movements. Very nice animation of stations filling up and emptying.

https://twitter.com/BikeSchemeStats/status/1043819597286256640

In the south of Spain at the moment. Genuinely don't know how people cycle here during the day. Was over 30 today and about 25C now and it's dark; we just went for a short walk and are dying of the heat. Granted, some of the walk probably hit 20-25%, but we were taking it slow.

It was close to 40 during the early stages of the Vuelta and them lads were racing. I start to melt on the bike anywhere close to 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

In the south of Spain at the moment. Genuinely don't know how people cycle here during the day. Was over 30 today and about 25C now and it's dark; we just went for a short walk and are dying of the heat. Granted, some of the walk probably hit 20-25%, but we were taking it slow.
    Cycling in heat is much easier than walking IMO as there's a more of a breeze when you are moving along. You notice the heat more when you stop. (From experience of cycling when in the mid 40's.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Cycling in heat is much easier than walking IMO as there's a more of a breeze when you are moving along. You notice the heat more when you stop. (From experience of cycling when in the mid 40's.)

Long time since I've been in the mid 40's...

Trouble with cycling in the heat is you can dehydrate/sunburn without noticing because of that breeze.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Hurrache wrote: »
    I understand what you're saying, but there were 3 people stopped. Not a whole lot another person could do unless they were medically trained. A crowd can often make a person feel worse and they may hop up to get away from it when they should be taking a little more time out.
    100%, one of the most important things after an ambulance is called and the most qualified person nearby eg First aider or medical professional is on scene, bar one or two people to keep others away/back or taking over in the case of CPR. Between making the person more comfortable and also making it easier for EMTs to approach, no one else should hang around.
    cdaly_ wrote: »
    Long time since I've been in the mid 40's...

Trouble with cycling in the heat is you can dehydrate/sunburn without noticing because of that breeze.
    The problem with walking in that heat is that you are not on your bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,029 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

It's fine until you get to a hill.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Lumen wrote: »
    It's fine until you get to a hill.

This year's ride: 12 hours in full sun and mid 30ties, at some point I had to stop and get into a supermarket to cool down, as my head was going funny...

Hills were not too bad, as I could cool down completely on the descend (to the point of feeling cold) - the problem arose when I had to go steadily fast on the flat. My body was just not able to sweat fast enough and the temperature was slowly building up I guess.

Imagine now the sight of a lycra clad hobo lying on the shop's floor, drinking a can of radler and big bucket of ice cream.. .all this in quite rural/conservative part of Eastern Europe ;)

To survive the rest of the ride I had to wet my jersey completely every 20 minutes as it was drying on me...

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=462211&stc=1&d=1537881959

Disappointed that it was not a picture of you lying on the ground in Lycra, covered in sweat and eating Ice Cream :eek:

I can PM pointers where to ask for the CCTV footage. They should have me recorded in a wet slim cut jersey from the outside cam too.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,029 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Alek wrote: »
    This year's ride: 12 hours in full sun and mid 30ties, at some point I had to stop and get into a supermarket to cool down, as my head was going funny...

Hills were not too bad, as I could cool down completely on the descend (to the point of feeling cold) - the problem arose when I had to go steadily fast on the flat. My body was just not able to sweat fast enough and the temperature was slowly building up I guess.
    My own experience of overheating was Lesbos a few years ago. I was racing at the time so in reasonable shape, but when the road went up away from the coast with the temps in the high 30s, there was no way I could cool down, and my brain started to cook. A local family took pity on me and brought me out a jug of ice water, which I dumped over my head. :D

I was racing at the time so in reasonable shape, but when the road went up away from the coast with the temps in the high 30s, there was no way I could cool down,

I guess you did not go easy up that hill? :) The effort is also a factor; I was rather in a touring mode.

Some of the streets in the towns here are mad. We walked up one earlier which must have been 25% for a few hundred metres. My wife was looking at me as if I was a madman when I was commenting that I'd like to have a go at it on a bike.

Some of the streets in the towns here are mad. We walked up one earlier which must have been 25% for a few hundred metres. My wife was looking at me as if I was a madman when I was commenting that I'd like to have a go at it on a bike.

Going down hill of course :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

Trundling along the canal this morning and enjoying the mild weather we seem to have today and a car veers right in front of me, encroaching the cycle lane, I had to come to a complete stop to avoid hitting him. Anyway he went on and when I caught up the lights I saw the reason, he was watching this weeks episode of Better Call Saul on a tablet mounted to the centre console. WTF is wrong with people

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

Trundling along the canal this morning and enjoying the mild weather we seem to have today and a car veers right in front of me, encroaching the cycle lane, I had to come to a complete stop to avoid hitting him. Anyway he went on and when I caught up the lights I saw the reason, he was watching this weeks episode of Better Call Saul on a tablet mounted to the centre console. WTF is wrong with people

its gotten alot worse, fact is people are selfish and without enforcement will do stuff like this because they just think "ah i can watch and drive" "im not like the guy in the ad". Did you get a car or reg? i see so many people texting and watching videos iv also most just happy if someones just talking on a phone and not looking at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,442 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

manafana wrote: »
    its gotten alot worse, fact is people are selfish and without enforcement will do stuff like this because they just think "ah i can watch and drive" "im not like the guy in the ad". Did you get a car or reg? i see so many people texting and watching videos iv also most just happy if someones just talking on a phone and not looking at it.

I didn't take a reg, I was going to take a pic but I really wasn't in the mood to get into it, I woke up in agony with my neck and shoulder and had considered not cycling this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

Lumen wrote: »
    My own experience of overheating was Lesbos a few years ago. I was racing at the time so in reasonable shape, but when the road went up away from the coast with the temps in the high 30s, there was no way I could cool down, and my brain started to cook. A local family took pity on me and brought me out a jug of ice water, which I dumped over my head. :D

Yeah, they can have that effect on people, apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Could anyone please judge whether 1,000chf (about 850euro) is a good price for this? I might offer 900chf for it.

https://www.englishforum.ch/items-sale/286668-sale-cannondale-supersix-3-ultegra-roadbike-58cm.html#post2996002

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 8,060 ✭✭✭buffalo

I thought these figures from the Luas on causes of emergency braking interesting:

DoCtpeMXgAEx2qb.jpg

Especially in the context of last year's video:

(Courtesy of Ciaran Cuffe: https://twitter.com/CiaranCuffe/status/1045027345793519616)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Saw that yesterday evening. Bizarre the context of that cyclist video at the time. I was wondering that the vigilance device is, do they have something like a dead mans switch on trains that if they don't trigger on occasion the Luas will stop itself?

Hurrache wrote: »
    Saw that yesterday evening. Bizarre the context of that cyclist video at the time. I was wondering that the vigilance device is, do they have something like a dead mans switch on trains that if they don't trigger on occasion the Luas will stop itself?

Pretty much, if the LUAS driver doesn't use it periodically, it sounds an alarm and hits the brakes.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

That anti cycling video was very misjudged, should have never got out, given how some of those people cycle im glad they arn't driving along with all the other poor drivers that are on the road

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

manafana wrote: »
    That anti cycling video was very misjudged, should have never got out, given how some of those people cycle im glad they arn't driving along with all the other poor drivers that are on the road

And there isn't a lad in the village
    Dar step on the tail of my coat, la la la la la ♫♪♫

Advertisement