Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Raam wrote: »
    Even that is a mess. I had 10,042km logged. Uploaded a 33km ride and hit refresh. Now I have 10,030km logged.

That was the backwards ride that you did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    Hmm. A trained eye can spot such an egregious and flagrant flouting of all that is good and decent.

This is why I always carry merino blindfolds to protect any Trueblooded roadies I meet from the horrors of my fat eurofailures

• Registered Users Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Popped into the bike shop to get mud guards for work bike and nearly left with a Giant Tcx for a real good price...

After briefly dancing around the topic of a new bike with Mrs Dahat I'm glad I didmt commit, going to keep my new bike promise for a new race bike this time next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,484 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

So is there and unwritten rule about the pad matching the socks in case of accident? I don’t want to embarrass myself if I ever end up in A&E after being hit by the proverbial bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

So is there and unwritten rule about the pad matching the socks in case of accident? I don’t want to embarrass myself if I ever end up in A&E after being hit by the proverbial bus.

Pad???

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,733 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

chamois in cycling shorts.
    maybe not the pad you were thinking of...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

Just make sure your socks are the correct height. Or you may find yourself unceremoniously booted out with instructions to HTFU.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,733 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

• Registered Users Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Has anyone seen these? They seem to be good value for the set. The only thing is they might be a bit annoying to be stuck behind
    https://seesense.cc/pages/see-sense-ace

• Advertisement

Mc Love wrote: »
    Has anyone seen these? They seem to be good value for the set. The only thing is they might be a bit annoying to be stuck behind
    https://seesense.cc/pages/see-sense-ace

Their previous lights are great. If you have a set and you are on a spin with another user they work together so that you aren’t blinded if behind.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

There isn't enough space for my large farm machinery and other vehicles, particularly cyclists, on the roads near my farm, therefore the cyclists are a problem and shouldn't be there. :rolleyes:
    Was kinda disappointed when they stopped responding, I don't think they have faced the "sounds like your the roads aren't suitable for the vehicles you are trying to use on it" concept before.

https://twitter.com/WitchyWife1964/status/1038836741199806466

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

There isn't enough space for my large farm machinery and other vehicles, particularly cyclists, on the roads near my farm, therefore the cyclists are a problem and shouldn't be there. :rolleyes:
    Was kinda disappointed when they stopped responding, I don't think they have faced the "sounds like your the roads aren't suitable for the vehicles you are trying to use on it" concept before.

https://twitter.com/WitchyWife1964/status/1038836741199806466

Ah they're a silly yank, best of ignoring them

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,566 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Their previous lights are great. If you have a set and you are on a spin with another user they work together so that you aren’t blinded if behind.
    What if its someone with just regular lights?

CramCycle wrote: »
    What if its someone with just regular lights?

The brightness is adjustable from 10% to 100%. So maybe just ask the person in your group to dim them a bit or stop staring at them.

Many other lights can’t dim, so I guess they would cause more of an issue.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Saw two things I'd never seen before last week in France.

The first was something I was expecting to see sooner or later, a guy with what looked like a full-sized iPad mounted on his handlebars.

The second was something I'd never even conceived of before I witnessed it, what can only be described as a rollerblade sportive. Complete with motorcycle marshals and an ambulance bringing up the rear.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

The second was something I'd never even conceived of before I witnessed it, what can only be described as a rollerblade sportive. Complete with motorcycle marshals and an ambulance bringing up the rear.

Unless it was full of Californian women in bikini's then that is just plain wrong....

• Registered Users Posts: 9,322 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Following on from the Audax thread/ The Dying Cow, I did a few comparisons compared to previous rides..
    Macy0161 wrote: »
    Move over Cunard. Full Wall? Full schmall... The Dying Cow climb is a untc!

Based on ride with gps from my own rides...

The Dying Cow, 0.6 km @ 16.6%, max of 26.5%
    The Wall 0.6km @ 12%, max of 17.2%
    The Full Wall 1.5km @ 11.3%, max of 17.2%*
    Red Lane 2.2km @ 9.1%, max of 16.9%
    Cunard 3.2km @ 7.9%, max of 10.4%**

*max on the top part, which was a surprise.
    **not entirely trusting that Cunard max tbh

Caution, pointless bragging coming up,
    The Dying Cow, 0.6 km @ 16.6%, max of 26.5%
    The Wall 0.6km @ 12%, max of 17.2%
    The Full Wall 1.5km @ 11.3%, max of 17.2%*
    Red Lane 2.2km @ 9.1%, max of 16.9%

*max on the top part, which was a surprise.
    **not entirely trusting that Cunard max tbh

When I was younger and my knees were stronger, I completed all of these climbs on a fixed gear. The dying cow was definitely the hardest of the lot, I actually had to turn back twice at the bungalow half way and reassess my approach. I did manage it without walking though so was very pleased. The rest I just slogged through.

just helped two chaps struggling with a tube swap outside the house - the spare tube they had was too long; how common would a wheel be of that size? i reckon the tube was somewhere between and inch and two inches too long.

• Advertisement

just helped two chaps struggling with a tube swap outside the house - the spare tube they had was too long; how common would a wheel be of that size? i reckon the tube was somewhere between and inch and two inches too long.

Would it just have been stretched? I have had tubes about an inch too long but once in and pumped they were grand. Presuming they were road tires of 700c. The oter thing is maybe they had 650c wheels so they had 700c tubes?

CramCycle wrote: »
    I did manage it without walking though so was very pleased.
    Admittedly not as impressive with a compact and 32 on the back, but I also made it without foot down. Although those walking it were walking away from me I was going that slow!

standard 700c wheels. the tube they had was either a 23 or 25, but had no markings at all on it. i had a 700c tube which went in with no issue - maybe it was just stretched, as you say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Admittedly not as impressive with a compact and 32 on the back, but I also made it without foot down. Although those walking it were walking away from me I was going that slow!

A compact?

461501.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Which one is that Dying Cow climb? I've done that event once a few years back (or twice?) and in fairness don't remember anything as monstrous as stats would suggest?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,854 ✭✭✭Rogue-Trooper

Alek wrote: »
    Which one is that Dying Cow climb? I've done that event once a few years back (or twice?) and in fairness don't remember anything as monstrous as stats would suggest?

Showoff

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

But seriously, is there a segment on Strava?

[edit]

Ok, I found it! In fairness I did not remember it from the Audax event, but definitely from doing the Wicklow Way in a day on a MTB... that seemed just stupid steep at that stage ;)

https://www.strava.com/segments/5210008

• Registered Users Posts: 24,966 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

**not entirely trusting that Cunard max tbh.....
    The max on Cunard is way more than 10%. I would have thought 16-18%.

Alek wrote: »
    But seriously, is there a segment on Strava?

[edit]

Ok, I found it! In fairness I did not remember it from the Audax event, but definitely from doing the Wicklow Way in a day on a MTB... that seemed just stupid steep at that stage ;)

https://www.strava.com/segments/5210008

I didn't think it touched 25%, I would have thought high teens at the start and that was it. Still tough but short.

• Advertisement

CramCycle wrote:
    I didn't think it touched 25%, I would have thought high teens at the start and that was it. Still tough but short.
    I dunno, I've never struggled on the wall or red lane like that which are "high teens", and I've done both after a longer distance and more climbing before than I had in the legs on Saturday.

Advertisement