Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Has anyone seen that latest McDonald's ad?

Broke me shiite laughing at the lads in full kit doing the walk of shame around the hairpin with the ould lad on a banger bike spinning cheerily by them

• Registered Users Posts: 6,483 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

P_1 wrote: »
    Has anyone seen that latest McDonald's ad?

Broke me shiite laughing at the lads in full kit doing the walk of shame around the hairpin with the ould lad on a banger bike spinning cheerily by them

I haven’t seen it but it reminded me of the McBike packaging. http://www.dailyedge.ie/mcdonalds-mcbike-2173278-Jun2015/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Could anyone please judge whether 1,000chf (about 850euro) is a good price for this? I might offer 900chf for it.

https://www.englishforum.ch/items-sale/286668-sale-cannondale-supersix-3-ultegra-roadbike-58cm.html#post2996002

Thanks

Anyone, please?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Anyone, please?

It is OK, but not spectacular value. It is 5 years old, old gear. Low mileage, seems like good condition. To be honest you would want to dig into the stats for the specifics.

If you like the look of it, and you like the price, then that is your answer. It is a nice bike, but unless it was a classic, I wouldn't take it at that price, but that's me.

Ha I'm loving that new Mc Donalds ad with the lads heading for a spin in France, I'd be the lad on the ground crawling up the climb and herself would be the local breezing up it :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Reminds me of the august bank holiday weekend after my leaving cert - pushing the bikes up the hill out of glencree up past lough bray, being cursed out of it by an ould lad who sailed past us on his garden gate. To be fair, it was the first time i'd ever tried cycling a bike with a tent on the back and probably half a dozen tins of heinz spaghetti in the panniers, and over the sadly gap too.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,467 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Sally.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

You don't have rims like this where I cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Hi. Can someone give me a run down on cycling shoes. I can't make head nor tale of spd, spd sl, 2 hole, 3 hole, and the various different pedals. Can spend between 150/200 euro.

I'm getting the urge to upgrade from my first bike as I'm upping mileage now but I need to invest in some decent gear before I can justify a bike.

Looking for road shoes, pedals and any associated attachments. Also is the something I'll be comfortable with all year round?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

i use spd, you can pick up 105 pedals cheap enough, shoes are trickier, sizes are all over the place, if you have a good shop nearby go visit them and see what choice they have,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Ha I'm loving that new Mc Donalds ad with the lads heading for a spin in France, I'd be the lad on the ground crawling up the climb and herself would be the local breezing up it :pac:

Where's this ad to be seen?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,317 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Old Perry wrote: »
    Hi. Can someone give me a run down on cycling shoes. I can't make head nor tale of spd, spd sl, 2 hole, 3 hole, and the various different pedals. Can spend between 150/200 euro.

I'm getting the urge to upgrade from my first bike as I'm upping mileage now but I need to invest in some decent gear before I can justify a bike.

Looking for road shoes, pedals and any associated attachments. Also is the something I'll be comfortable with all year round?

Thanks.

This should help you

• Registered Users Posts: 24,959 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Some of the streets in the towns here are mad. We walked up one earlier which must have been 25% for a few hundred metres. My wife was looking at me as if I was a madman when I was commenting that I'd like to have a go at it on a bike.
    I passed by this one in Bormio a couple of weeks ago. The pic doesn't do it justice - looked way steeper in real life.

XCfeP3Ph.jpg

Rechuchote wrote: »
    Where's this ad to be seen?

Right here

I passed by this one in Bormio a couple of weeks ago. The pic doesn't do it justice - looked way steeper in real life.

Pics or videos never really show off what a climb is really like, I was looking at that video and thinking, thats grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

Right here

Love it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,744 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Wrong time of year for this, but ECF just tweeted it so ...
    https://twitter.com/EuCyclistsFed/status/1045568967648194560

Spotted a cyclist this morning using braces to hold up his cycling shorts. Home grown bib shorts, I suppose.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Spotted a cyclist this morning using braces to hold up his cycling shorts. Home grown bib shorts, I suppose.

That was what everyone used to do before lycra ! and even after when bibs weren't that easily available....

(am I sounding old ??? )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

RobFowl wrote: »
    (am I sounding old ??? )

yup

i remember that as well and cleats clips and straps

Alas it is a common side effect ....

...of actually being old :P

I discovered a new danger of cars earlier today. We'd just parked the rental car in a supermarket car park here - I put the cameras in the boot and was saying something to my wife when I got a hard punch to the face. After a second or two of 'WHAT THE **** JUST HAPPENED ME', I realised I'd just pulled the boot lid down right into the bridge of my nose. Don't I feel like an idiot.

Eight years ago, my wife's sister was carrying her niece (my first-born) in a strap-on front-carrier, and nearly interposed the head of the baby into the trajectory of the lid as she was slamming it shut. I wasn't there, but it was a very close thing, according to my wife, who was.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,511 ✭✭✭Old Perry

Thanks
    Didn't realise pedals were so expensive 😣.
    Should I invest in something like this considering time of year?
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=107195

Or would some overshoes and decent road shoes get me through winter? I'm somewhat fairweather cyclist in that I'll avoid rain but hope to keep going threw winter this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

On RTE news website there and reports of a cyclist critical in Cork after a Cyclist v Cyclist crash. Am I going mad or is that the second one of these this week?

Anyway, hopefully the last will be ok

Irish times are reporting the injuries occurred on hitting a pothole.

Anyone any experience on imports from China, not sent via one of the big couriers, how long they get held at customs for? Happy to wait but wouldn't mind an expected date.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Old Perry wrote: »
    Thanks
    Didn't realise pedals were so expensive ��.
    Should I invest in something like this considering time of year?
    http://www.cyclesuperstore.ie/shop/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=107195

Or would some overshoes and decent road shoes get me through winter? I'm somewhat fairweather cyclist in that I'll avoid rain but hope to keep going threw winter this year.

Overshoes and cheaper road shoes will see you through just as well. The difference between shoes (unless your going mad wintery) is mainly weight and stiffness. There are often decent pedals going in the Cycling Adverts section for around the 20-30 mark if you wanted to just see what a particular one is like without spending a fortune.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,054 ✭✭✭buffalo

One for the doping-in-other-sports file:

https://www.rte.ie/sport/soccer/2018/1001/999280-ex-man-utd-striker-fined-378-for-failed-doping-test/
    Former Manchester United and Italy striker Giuseppe Rossi has escaped with a reprimand and a small fine ... of €378 to cover costs.

The substance, which requires a therapeutic use exemption, is usually found in anti-glaucoma medication but can be used as a masking agent.

NADO Italia accepted he had no intention to cheat

Advertisement