Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 70's and 80's in Ireland

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

The other presenter was Michael Sheridan, and the quiz show in question was The Works

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

Collecting Phone Cards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,681 ✭✭✭Try_harder

living in poverty.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Bosco

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I can't remember the specifics but it was something about a kids programme that had two hosts. It was a quiz show on the weekday afternoons.
    Mary Kingston was one host and the other host was male and for some reason I think he looks like Simon Delaney but obviously it wasn't him.

I fancied the pants off her when I was a teen.
    Collecting Phone Cards
    I found a box of them she I was visiting my parents a while back.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 991 ✭✭✭The Crowman

Stuff that used to come in cereal packets. Those hologram cards in Corn Flakes that showed a dinosaur and then changed into a modern animal.

The plastic boats that you put soda powder into to make them go.

Figurines from that Disney cartoon the Black Cauldron.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I drew a picture for Live-at-three-Thelma, and nearly died with the giddiness when she read out my name and showed it on the screen.

She left and it became Dempsey's Den along with Zig and Zag and later on, Dustin.

Anyone remember the satanic messages in the heavy metal tapes of the day. It was around the time of the Mejugorie messages and there was many a young fella gutted up and down the country because his ma burned his Def Leppard and Whitesnake tapes for fear the child would become a devil worshipper.

Moving statues were all the rage. As was divine faces in random rocks and tree stumps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

Sharing “the pipe” (analogue tv) with a neighbour ‘cause times were tough. Was easy enough, just split the cable and throw a feed across, and pay half.

Bloody cold houses but with unbearably hot sitting rooms when the fire was lit.

Pointless partition walls. Was the way before ‘open plan’ came in.

Water from the tap seemed to have 2 temperatures: liquid ice and skin-removingly hot.

Horrible carpet. Was so horrible that all carpet went out of fashion completely until quite recently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Jack Moore

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Even better when you could tap the number to ring someone when skint, not that I ever did that ;)

Whennskint ?
    0 1 and 9 are free all other numbers must be tapped who told me ?
    How did they know
    Why did anyone pay for calls
    I donno all I know was I was a god cos no one else could do it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

The slutty girls on Grange Hill. Couldn't believe all the kids in English schools had uniforms

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,454 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Edgware wrote: »
    The slutty girls on Grange Hill. Couldn't believe all the kids in English schools had uniforms

Then half the actors and actresses turned up in Eastenders. :)

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 34,278 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Wibbs wrote: »
    In the 80's? I doubt it. I saw a kinda "internet"(which name escapes) in a B&B in France in the mid 80's. It was like teletext that went two ways. Kinda.

Minitel.
    Because of a career thing I got what was the Internet foisted upon me in around 94 and it was very basic. Initially had Apple's E-World, which was almost exclusively American, with zero local colour. AOL was better and attempted to have more local stuff(90% UK stuff).

No Usenet? Usenet (aka newsgroups, basically thousands of self contained forums each dedicated to a particular topic) used to be great. Had (read-only) access to it in college in late 80s-early 90s, but it was still going strong in the late 90s when I got dial-up internet at home. It's still around, just about.
    They were painted as widow makers and baby killers and insurance cost more than the car did because they were so powerful. 200-220 brake horsepower. Eh...

Meh. 30+ years ago you could get a Suzuki GSXR750 or Kawasaki GPz900R with ~100hp, 150MPH and handling to match (unlike 70s superbikes, which were generally lethal) and solid reliability. They're bona fide classics now.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Even better when you could tap the number to ring someone when skint, not that I ever did that ;)

You could dislocate a finger pressing the buttons and the coins were huge 50p massive, but lovely though, the 5p had a bull .....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,161 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Neyite wrote: »
    I drew a picture for Live-at-three-Thelma, and nearly died with the giddiness when she read out my name and showed it on the screen.

She left and it became Dempsey's Den along with Zig and Zag and later on, Dustin.

Anyone remember the satanic messages in the heavy metal tapes of the day. It was around the time of the Mejugorie messages and there was many a young fella gutted up and down the country because his ma burned his Def Leppard and Whitesnake tapes for fear the child would become a devil worshipper.

Moving statues were all the rage. As was divine faces in random rocks and tree stumps.

I knew someone that had dungeon and dragons books ripped up because it was "satanic"

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭w/s/p/c/

riclad wrote: »
    I lived in ballymun, i had a vcr , there was a video rental shop in the shopping centre,
    they had a book, you could look through , it listed 100,s of adult movies to rent.
    There were no adult films on display ,it more of an under the counter operation.It was probably illegal to rent out xx rated films at that time .
    The only films on display were the usual action, comedy, drama,s
    you,d see in the cinema .
    I think at some point a law was brought in so adults only stores could sell
    xx rated films.
    i mostly rented films from extravision.
    There used to be small local shops around dublin,
    they might have only 2-300 films avaidable to rent.This was before extravison opened shops in every suburb.

We used to have this in our local video shop in Stoneybatter in Dublin. You would have to ask the lad behind the counter for a look at some Australian Videos. As they were kept Down Under the counter!!

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭username2013

branie2 wrote: »
    You weren't looking forward to the Easter eggs 2 days later?

I'm not a huge Chocolate fan so this didn't do it for me I'm afraid!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Kyle More

begbysback wrote: »
    Trips to frawleys and the denim shop a couple of doors away (can't remember it's name) on Thomas street for the latest fashion!!

Fitzgerald's, I got my first pair of Levi's in there. I thought I was the coolest kid on the street (despite retrospective evidence to the contrary).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,788 ✭✭✭griffin100

Kyle More wrote: »
    Fitzgerald's, I got my first pair of Levi's in there. I thought I was the coolest kid on the street (despite retrospective evidence to the contrary).

Back in the late 80’s I used to get my tight black spandex type jeans to go with my white runner boots and long hair there :o. Couldn’t get them anywhere else.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Wet look trousers from Unique in the Ilac! :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Fleck jeans

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,091 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Stuff that used to come in cereal packets. Those hologram cards in Corn Flakes that showed a dinosaur and then changed into a modern animal.

The plastic boats that you put soda powder into to make them go.

Figurines from that Disney cartoon the Black Cauldron.

That reminds me..
    My first postal delivery was a vintage minature toy car that I received from Kelloggs from collecting tokens.
    It came in a rectangular box not much bigger than a matchbox.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,099 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Use to love this

• Registered Users Posts: 2,979 ✭✭✭Stovepipe

dasdog wrote: »
    I only really remember the mid/late 80's.

The Good
    So many concerts from the age of 13. Metallica were even good back then.
    ZX Spectrum or C64 for the posher kids. VHS.
    Playing in the streets. Kerbs, heads and volleys. Disappearing for hours on end on your bike with friends.
    There was a real sense of togetherness. We were a very proud but troubled nation.

The Bad
    The smog before the introduction of smokeless coal. It was like a Dickens novel some nights.
    Parts of Dublin city centre were completely derelict. People give out about Temple Bar now. It was an absolute dump in 1988.
    Food was pretty terrible for most.

The Ugly
    Unemployment, poverty, fighting, joyriders, glue sniffers, heroin.

Got it in one. You wouldn't dare go down to the docks back then. Sherriff street and Sean McDermott street were no go areas after dark. Now, it's like a totally different planet.......the end of temple bar near the Corpo offices was rough and best avoided.......parts of Dublin where you can walk around safely now were to be avoided. People only went jogging around local pitchs. Going jogging on a street wearing headphones was an invitation to be attacked.......No NCT. cars were held together with string. You don't see rusty cars any more.......poverty was much more widespread than in the 2008 recession and certainly more than now. Lots more unemployment, dole was much less. People made do with less and they had less of a financial cushion than they do now.

Jack Moore wrote: »
    Whennskint ?
    0 1 and 9 are free all other numbers must be tapped who told me ?
    How did they know
    Why did anyone pay for calls
    I donno all I know was I was a god cos no one else could do it

0, 1, and 9 had to be available for the operator (10) or 999 calls.

There used to be a trick late 80s putting used callcards into a freezer, and using them again!

newspower wrote: »
    Two & Two bars and Mosney......

Was in Mosney a couple of times in the 70s, got sunburned to bits :o

Went back on a school day trip in 82 or 83 and the place was very delapidated by then. Had a great time on the ATV trikes though! (health and safety hadn't been invented)

Two and Two bars were the best thing around in the 70s and 80s. Apparently there was a plan a few years ago to bring them back, but nothing :( Pic from the "Favourite Chocolate Bar" thread :
    ZV Yoda wrote: »
    Gone, but not forgotten...

Picture-22.png

Two and Two thread here :)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

1972 We joined the EEC and the half crown became obsolete, the price of a box of matches doubled from one old penny to one new penny which had double the value, what a rip off.

We joined the EEC in 1973, we decimalised in 1971 which was nothing to do with the EEC but everything to do with the UK doing it at the same time.

Don't know what a half crown has to do with a penny box of matches, why didn't their competitor charge 1/2p and clean up?

Fears of effects of decimalisation on price rises were greatly exaggerated (same fears at euro changeover, almost entirely false) but the oil crisis and celtic tiger happening after those things did have a big effect on prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Remember snooker was big back in the 80s. Every town had a snooker hall and snooker was shown all the time on TV

The Late Late Show was on a Saturday night, followed by Jimmy Hill on Match of the Day

Ringing doorbells and running off was a popular pastime among teenagers

MTV USA with Vincent Hanley on Sunday afternoons

For GAA fans, half the league was played before Christmas and the second half in the spring

People blessed themselves passing churches and graveyards

• Registered Users Posts: 4,765 ✭✭✭jimmytwotimes 2013

whitey1 wrote: »
    Remember snooker was big back in the 80s. Every town had a snooker hall and snooker was shown all the time on TV

The Late Late Show was on a Saturday night, followed by Jimmy Hill on Match of the Day

Ringing doorbells and running off was a popular pastime among teenagers

MTV USA with Vincent Hanley on Sunday afternoons

For GAA fans, half the league was played before Christmas and the second half in the spring

People blessed themselves passing churches and graveyards

People were snooker loopy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭California Dreamer

1987. The Introduction of satellite television. Super Channel and Sky

Nino Feretto v Pat Sharp for the girls.

Linda De Mol v Kristina Backer for the boys.

Non stop music videos and repeats of the flying nun, monkees, bewitched, I dream of jeanie.

After midnight on MTV they would show the adult versions of some videos. Belious Some - Imagination and George Michael - I want your sex

1987, the year I got to second base!! Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

dieselbug wrote: »
    1972 We joined the EEC and the half crown became obsolete, the price of a box of matches doubled from one old penny to one new penny which had double the value, what a rip off.

The half-crown was gone long before the EEC. Decimalisation was introduced in 1971. EEC referendum was in '72 and join date was 1 Jan 1973. The 1970s was a time of massive inflation mostly caused by the oil embargo after the Yom Kippur war of 1973. Just because we joined the EEC around the time of these events doesn't meant they were caused by the EEC.

Advertisement