Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

sexmag wrote:
    Well I mean it's hardly his fault, he didn't create the crisis, in fact he could hardly have had much effect in the time he's been there,he's trying to build more houses in her constituency with a very fair ratio of social and affordable housing.

FG are in government since 2011. Crisis is getting worse. Lots and lots and lots of announcements very little done. As an example an article in today's Times stating only 15 houses delivered as part of a government plan for 3500.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    FG are in government since 2011. Crisis is getting worse. Lots and lots and lots of announcements very little done. As an example an article in today's Times stating only 15 houses delivered as part of a government plan for 3500.

Yet the examiner said that there was at least 780 bought/built in 2017.

"The Department of Housing confirmed last month that the total number of houses built by local authorities in 2017 was 780."

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/views/ourview/social-housing-total-number-built-is-abysmal-846073.html

It's strange how one paper says one thing and another says something different

sexmag wrote:
    It's strange how one paper says one thing and another says something different

The Times referred to the RL scheme government claimed it would deliver 3500 houses into the system to date only 15 houses. 9 in 2017 and 6 year to date.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,695 ✭✭✭✭Ace2007

It's only a crisis cause the media portray it that way, there are houses in the likes of Leitrim that you can get for peanuts compared to Dublin - whether your renting or buying, but yet for some reason none of these homeless people want to move down there. They believe it's their right to find accommodation in an area that they want to.

A quick look on daft.ie you can get 2/3 bedroom houses in Leitrim for 450€ a month. I'm sure there are plenty of other houses in similar areas around the country.

Ace2007 wrote:
    It's only a crisis cause the media portray it that way, .

It's the media's fault, gotcha. ;-)

• Advertisement

The Times referred to the RL scheme government claimed it would deliver 3500 houses into the system to date only 15 houses. 9 in 2017 and 6 year to date.

Yet there was 780 in 2017 alone,why has that figure got cast aside in favour of the lonely 15?

Because of the media and their clickbait and the fact is doesn't join with the current TBTC consensus

That's misconstrued and you know it,they didn't say the media caused it the current housing problems but it's them who have labelled it as crisis to grab headlines etc

The point of the matter is someone can rent a home in leitrim for 450.

I know someone who commutes from cavan each day to the city centre and pays 500 quid a month for a 3 bed house

Why don't the media ask the homeless people who claim they can't find accommodation why they don't move outside of Dublin?

It's easier and it sells more papers to attack the government.

sexmag wrote:
    Because of the media and their clickbait and the fact is doesn't join with the current TBTC consensus

Not at all, 2 different newspapers although one article from May this year the Examiner and the other from today's paper the Times.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 886 ✭✭✭NasserShammaz

Ace2007 wrote: »
    It's only a crisis cause the media portray it that way, there are houses in the likes of Leitrim that you can get for peanuts compared to Dublin - whether your renting or buying, but yet for some reason none of these homeless people want to move down there. They believe it's their right to find accommodation in an area that they want to.

A quick look on daft.ie you can get 2/3 bedroom houses in Leitrim for 450€ a month. I'm sure there are plenty of other houses in similar areas around the country.

Any in Dublin, I work in Dublin/ Kids go to school in Dublin , there's employment in what i'm trained in in Dublin, extended family are around Dublin,childcare afterschool Doctor are in Dublin , if its OK with you I want to live in Dublin

Bullsh*t logic , Im sure theres plenty of empty houses in Alleppo sur why don't all the syrians go there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭BBFAN

sexmag wrote: »
    That's misconstrued and you know it,they didn't say the media caused it the current housing problems but it's them who have labelled it as crisis to grab headlines etc

The point of the matter is someone can rent a home in leitrim for 450.

I know someone who commutes from cavan each day to the city centre and pays 500 quid a month for a 3 bed house

And how much do they pay for their commute?

Why does everyone keep quoting Leitrim? Who says Leitrim wants all the unemployed people in the country to move there? There's a reason the houses are so cheap. There are NO JOBS THERE.

BBFAN wrote: »
    And how much do they pay for their commute?

50 quid a week petrol so they are still making saving and because of their hours of work they are in the city by 7:30 am and home by 5pm.

It can be done and is done, the people in these counties are laughing at the fact people want free housing in or around Dublin while they bought/rent places off in other counties and are still saving money whole maintaining jobs in the city

Any in Dublin, I work in Dublin/ Kids go to school in Dublin , there's employment in what i'm trained in in Dublin, extended family are around Dublin,childcare afterschool Doctor are in Dublin , if its OK with you I want to live in Dublin

Bullsh*t logic , Im sure theres plenty of empty houses in Alleppo sur why don't all the syrians go there.

Sure if you want all that and house then pay for it.

Want a free house well then you and your family will have to make sacrifices like everyone else

Also bad form referencing a war torn country

Why does everyone keep quoting Leitrim? Who says Leitrim wants all the unemployed people in the country to move there? There's a reason the houses are so cheap. There are NO JOBS THERE.

Given that there is the HAP scheme and the dole, Would you prefer you children to have a roof over their heads, and for you to be able to feed them.

Or for them to be sleep rough on the streets on Dublin cause you want to live in Dublin?

I don't know about your circumstances, but I doubt your homeless, my comment was based on those that are homeless, so for example, lets say you do end up on the streets with your kids, are you going to stick your heels in and say, my family is in Dublin I want to live here, and spend days/weeks in emergency accommodation or would you make sacrifices to ensure that they have a roof over their heads and take the house down the country until you save enough and can move back closer to Dublin?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

Excuses, excuses

There's 45 jobs on indeed. Ie at the moment in Leitrim. I didn't check the other websites.

https://ie.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=&l=County+Leitrim

Excuses, excuses

There's 45 jobs on indeed. Ie at the moment in Leitrim. I didn't check the other websites.

https://ie.indeed.com/m/jobs?q=&l=County+Leitrim

Really? You're making yourself look silly now, going off and googling jobs in Leitrim. And using Indeed as a good example? Where the jobs are sometimes months old and there are advertisements for dogwalkers and babysitters?

By the way I'm making no excuses for anyone, I don't live in Dublin. I live and work a long way from Dublin. I'm simply saying the answer to the housing problem is not as simplistic as throwing everyone into Leitrim. And everyone knows that.

I'm simply saying the answer to the housing problem is not as simplistic as throwing everyone into Leitrim. And everyone knows that.

And you're right but the point is a vast amount of homeless people refuse to move to other areas of the country for a house,cash as an example wants tallaght and she won't stop until she gets it. Where as I'm pretty sure the homeless person under the archway on amiens street would happily take a house in leitrim

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

I don’t understand why homeless families complain about living in hotels. Movie stars live in hotels so do some premiership footballers, it can’t be that bad if they can do it.

• Advertisement

And you're right but the point is a vast amount of homeless people refuse to move to other areas of the country for a house,cash as an example wants tallaght and she won't stop until she gets it. Where as I'm pretty sure the homeless person under the archway on amiens street would happily take a house in leitrim

As long as people in Ms. Cash's situation, have apologists, making every excuse as to why they can't do something, it will continue.

Really? You're making yourself look silly now, going off and googling jobs in Leitrim. And using Indeed as a good example? Where the jobs are sometimes months old and there are advertisements for dogwalkers and babysitters?

By the way I'm making no excuses for anyone, I don't live in Dublin. I live and work a long way from Dublin. I'm simply saying the answer to the housing problem is not as simplistic as throwing everyone into Leitrim. And everyone knows that.

Boo hoo, what are you doing googling
    Boo hoo, I don't like the website

BTW The oldest one there is 9 days old.

This thread is not about ms cash though is it? It's about the Frederick Street Protests.

And you're wrong about the homeless person under the archway on Amiens Street by the way. They would not move to Leitrim at the drop of a hat because they usually have one or many issues which include mental health issues/addiction/alcoholism and the services for these issues are certainly not in the middle of Leitrim.

As long as people in Ms. Cash's situation, have apologists, making every excuse as to why they can't do something, it will continue.

This thread is not about ms cash.

This thread is not about ms cash.

"People in Ms. Cashs situation"

"People in Ms. Cashs situation"

Have you read the thread title?

Yes I have.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Calltocall

I May be going a little off topic here but something ive been curious/puzzled about how come huge blocks of student accomodation can go up in the city centre in lightning speed, I speak of one at the corner of summerhill and gardiner street and another on dorset street, there a few more and im speaking major developments in a matter of months yet our government are paralysed to get new builds off the ground for citizens accomodation, genuinely curious as to what’s going on here, what’s the major difference?

It's kind of hard to not refer to her as TBTC have lauded her as their poster girl now so yeah we can use her to make our points

• Advertisement

Calltocall wrote: »
    I May be going a little off topic here but something ive been curious/puzzled about how come huge blocks of student accomodation can go up in the city centre in lightning speed, I speak of one at the corner of summerhill and gardiner street and another on dorset street, there a few more and im speaking major developments in a matter of months yet our government are paralysed to get new builds off the ground for citizens accomodation, genuinely curious as to what’s going on here, what’s the major difference?

The land would be the major issue. then there is planning permission/objections etc.

Advertisement