Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

washman3 wrote: »
    If the protest group are really serious about their campaign and have a half a brain between them, they must immediately see that the likes of Margaret Cash and her ilk have nothing to offer their cause. She is a fraud, plain and simple.
    To allow her have a microphone and spout utter tripe is completely counter-productive for the protest.
    Of course she is 'manna from heaven' for the media, particularly RTE news and suits their agenda perfectly.

Ms Cash is currently the gift that keeps on giving.

However,in order to do this,she has to be effectively managed,and her backing group are playing a blinder here.

The Irish print-media,in particular,deserve a commendation for the speed and totality of their abandonment of basic journalistic principles in relation to how they cover the issue.

Very basic issues fundemental to Journalism have been flung onto the funeral pyre of truth.

Today,yet again,the Irish Independent,or at least some of it's Staff (They cannot ALL be devoid of competence......can they ?) embark on the same ould crusade,once again wheeling out Ms Cash to offer a pithy quote...

The main focus of the article,the living arrangements of an American couple in Co Clare,is quickly dispensed with,to allow for the required interlude of Ms Cash's wise words...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/well-lose-our-home-over-50pc-rent-rise-it-should-be-illegal-retired-couples-fears-over-soaring-rents-37346957.html
    Mother of seven Margaret Cash, who made headlines when it was revealed that her children slept at a Garda station in Tallaght overnight, talked about the homelessness she saw on her commute to the Garden, saying “nobody cares.”

“Nobody cares, nobody even stops to ask why these people are there,” she said.

“You walk through Dublin City, and nearly every second or third doorway is full of homeless people. They’re not all on drugs and they’re not all alcoholics. But even so, the ones that are, do they not deserve our help? A hand up? Do they not deserve somewhere to go?

“Everyone makes mistakes, but do they not deserve somewhere to go where they can reflect and say - what have I done with my life?” Ms Cash said.

“Eoghan Murphy needs to resign!!!” she called to a crowd of cheers, referring to the Housing Minister.

Well spoken Margaret.

However,in your quest to give these folk a "hand-up",I'm assuming you will be in the vanguard of those willing to sacrifice a portion of your own income to offer this ?

It is compulsory for me do this "hand up"gig every week,and I have done for the past 41 years,continuously, as a full rate PAYE and PRSI contributor.

I have paid every income levy imaginable,property tax,rates and all without being asked,or complaining,as yes,I do believe in the State having a duty to support those in need,as it has,and continues to support You.

Yet,Margaret Cash,and her supporters continue to push for their Nirvana....
    “There are people all over Dublin living in deplorable conditions. I have a family member and there are eight of them living in a two bedroom squalid house owned by Dublin City Council. Him and his partner have been sleeping on a mattress for the last five years. They’re forgotten people,” she said.

“My sister is homeless as well,” Ms Smith said. “My other sister is in a BnB in Clondalkin with a baby.

“All my little niece wants is a back garden with a trampoline to celebrate her birthday and bring her friends. She’s now six years old and hasn’t had that. So that’s heartbreaking for the children.”

Failing to point out,of course,that the Trampoline Space is a prerequestite for ALL of those they classify as the "forgotten people" (in the single quoted case,it's now THREE individual "homeless" claims in the one Family)

It brings us right back to the Private Property Ownership debate....when the Local Authorities provide communal areas,with playground equipment to world-class standard,these are soon laid awaste to,burnt out,physically ripped from the ground,all within a very short time frame,so the preferred answer appears to be a Play Area in EVERY Publicly Provided residence,with the shoebox sized multi stories being reserved for the Private Purchasers....sounds a good plan for sure ?

Now,where do I make my increased contribution ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

AlekSmart wrote: »
    It brings us right back to the Private Property Ownership debate....when the Local Authorities provide communal areas,with playground equipment to world-class standard,these are soon laid awaste to,burnt out,physically ripped from the ground,all within a very short time frame

Far from true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

Ahaa, can't respond to the indefensible stuff eh??

No, I said I wouldn't address nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Its a huge crisis

They can build 10,000 homes

In 5 years time they will need another 10,000

The demand for social housing is just not sustainable. Its the elephant in the room nobody talks about. We cant afford to keep supplying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Far from true.

With Halloween now on the horizon,we will have a reasonable opportunity to assess the damage.

My own experiences in West and Southwest Dublin over the years has left me hardened to it.

Most such sites now require considerable additional "security" features involving pallisade fencing,cctv monitoring or physical security patrols.

All part of a greater Societal issue,but there nonetheless :(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    No, I said I wouldn't address nonsense.

So,

The spokeswoman for TBTC - Margaret Cash - states that "Housing is a basic human right" and that all people should be 'provided homes by the government'.

You are in agreement that her demand above, is absolute nonsense.

Perfect, thank you, because it is.

And also going to presume that you agree that the TBTC movement is going about things the wrong way. And what they want is unrealistic, impossible & totally unsustainable.

Cheers, I didn't cop that we agreed on the whole thing tbh :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,106 ✭✭✭PlaneSpeeking

So,

The spokeswoman for TBTC - Margaret Cash - states that "Housing is a basic human right" and that all people should be 'provided homes by the government'.

Perfect, thank you, because it is.

And also going to presume that you agree that the TBTC movement is going about things the wrong way. And what they want is unrealistic, impossible & totally unsustainable.

Cheers, I didn't cop that we agreed on the whole thing tbh :)

There is one good thing that the Take Back The City campaign has done.

By getting that God awful Snow Patrol dirge stuck in my head it's finally dislodged Wrecking Ball.

Aside from that ? F**k all.

The irony of you accusing me of putting words in your mouth.
    Cheers, I didn't cop that we agreed on the whole thing tbh
    We don't .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭sexmag

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Ms Cash is currently the gift that keeps on giving.

However,in order to do this,she has to be effectively managed,and her backing group are playing a blinder here.

The Irish print-media,in particular,deserve a commendation for the speed and totality of their abandonment of basic journalistic principles in relation to how they cover the issue.

Very basic issues fundemental to Journalism have been flung onto the funeral pyre of truth.

Today,yet again,the Irish Independent,or at least some of it's Staff (They cannot ALL be devoid of competence......can they ?) embark on the same ould crusade,once again wheeling out Ms Cash to offer a pithy quote...

The main focus of the article,the living arrangements of an American couple in Co Clare,is quickly dispensed with,to allow for the required interlude of Ms Cash's wise words...

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/well-lose-our-home-over-50pc-rent-rise-it-should-be-illegal-retired-couples-fears-over-soaring-rents-37346957.html

Well spoken Margaret.

However,in your quest to give these folk a "hand-up",I'm assuming you will be in the vanguard of those willing to sacrifice a portion of your own income to offer this ?

It is compulsory for me do this "hand up"gig every week,and I have done for the past 41 years,continuously, as a full rate PAYE and PRSI contributor.

I have paid every income levy imaginable,property tax,rates and all without being asked,or complaining,as yes,I do believe in the State having a duty to support those in need,as it has,and continues to support You.

Yet,Margaret Cash,and her supporters continue to push for their Nirvana....

Failing to point out,of course,that the Trampoline Space is a prerequestite for ALL of those they classify as the "forgotten people" (in the single quoted case,it's now THREE individual "homeless" claims in the one Family)

It brings us right back to the Private Property Ownership debate....when the Local Authorities provide communal areas,with playground equipment to world-class standard,these are soon laid awaste to,burnt out,physically ripped from the ground,all within a very short time frame,so the preferred answer appears to be a Play Area in EVERY Publicly Provided residence,with the shoebox sized multi stories being reserved for the Private Purchasers....sounds a good plan for sure ?

Now,where do I make my increased contribution ?

The indo have repeated the same article 3 times since saturday, they take down the old and update it and each one reverts back to her, poster child for lazy lazy jounalism

The irony of you accusing me of putting words in your mouth.

We don't .

Might as well play on the same field with the same ball.

That's a mighty shame we don't agree, because she and TBTC are talking nothing but fairytale levels of shite.

I would strongly back support a movement with a proposal that's equitable and workable, but until then - its just a bunch of nonsense.

• Advertisement

That's a mighty shame we don't agree, because she and TBTC are talking nothing but fairytale levels of shite.

I would strongly back support a movement with a proposal that's equitable and workable, but until then - its just a bunch of nonsense.

"Buy empty houses from people who arent selling, put people in them, job done"

Not a word about where all this money is going to come from...oh wait, the tax payer, the people who arent out their breaking into houses while claiming the dole as they have nothing else to do :rolleyes:

sexmag wrote: »
    "Buy empty houses from people who arent selling, put people in them, job done"

Not a word about where all this money is going to come from...oh wait, the tax payer, the people who arent out their breaking into houses while claiming the dole as they have nothing else to do :rolleyes:

No no, not the taxpayer at all, sure as Margaret says - the government can pay for them.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭stratowide

sexmag wrote: »
    The indo have repeated the same article 3 times since saturday, they take down the old and update it and each one reverts back to her, poster child for lazy lazy jounalism

It's clickbait pure and simple.Nothing remotely connected to journalism.

I would suggest not clicking on such links so as not to fuel the flames of their propaganda/bulls**t.

Not the same you accused me of putting words in your mouth. Have a read and you'll know I asked you question.

Not the same you accused me of putting words in your mouth. Have a read and you'll know I asked you question.

Well I am very sorry then, I will retract - you did not put words in my mouth, you asked a question, a loaded question, with a supposition, would you rather argue the points being made or the way they are being made?

Well I am very sorry then, I will retract - you did not put words in my mouth, you asked a question, a loaded question, with a supposition, would you rather argue the points being made or the way they are being made?

I've read all your comments, no points more of an inane rant tbh. Can't argue with a rant.

I've read all your comments, no points more of an inane rant tbh. Can't argue with a rant.

Sound,

Sure look - when you get all this sorted and the TBTC movement prevails - I'll have a penthouse in Grand Canal Dock please, with room for a trampoline on the roof.

Sure look - when you get all this sorted and the TBTC movement prevails - I'll have a penthouse in Grand Canal Dock please, with room for a trampoline on the roof.

See with bs like this why would anyone take you serious. Make sure you tidy your room, your mum has enough to do.

See with bs like this why would anyone take you serious. Make sure you tidy your room, your mum has enough to do.

Your mum has a lot to do...like me!:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Did I stumble into the Margaret Cash thread by accident :confused:

• Advertisement

Bs like a campaign having a postergirl of a 20 odd year old woman who refused free education, who has never worked, who has been involved with crime, who's had 7 kids despite never working, never contributing and straight up demanding free housing near her ma's is why noone will take yours or tbtc's BS seriously.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Did I stumble into the Margaret Cash thread by accident :confused:

You did not stumble, and there was no accident.

Did I stumble into the Margaret Cash thread by accident

Sure it was just like the water charge protests Johnny, every second comment referenced Derek Byrne now it's Cash. Funny enough it's the same posters aswell.

Bs like a campaign having a postergirl of a 20 odd year old woman who refused free education, who has never worked, who has been involved with crime, who's had 7 kids despite never working, never contributing and straight up demanding free housing near her ma's is why noone will take yours or tbtc's BS seriously.

Noone taking it seriously? Keep telling yourself that. I know Cash is a gift for you and others but there are 1000's affected by the crisis .

• Registered Users Posts: 20,552 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Sure it was just like the water charge protests Johnny, every second comment referenced Derek Byrne now it's Cash. Funny enough it's the same posters aswell.

You must have a good memory, but you are also prone to exaggeration.

Noone taking it seriously? Keep telling yourself that. I know Cash is a gift for you and others but there are 1000's affected by the crisis .

Its like Asia Argento for the metoo movement to be honest,she discredits the whole thing

You must have a good memory, but you are also prone to exaggeration.

So I'm in good company so, lots of exaggeration in this thread.
    Memory doesn't come into, several of the water charge threads are still viewable.

Agreed, I am myself a person who earlier stated how I am one of the hundreds of thousands affected by this housing crisis.

I just happen to disagree with TBTCs proposals to solve it (or lack of proposals really)

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Auld Uncle Dinny must have had a fallen out with FG on a few tax exemption write offs so hes using Cash to constantly hammer them.

• Advertisement

rafatoni wrote:
    Auld Uncle Dinny must have had a fallen out with FG on a few tax exemption write offs so hes using Cash to constantly hammer them.

Once Naughten signs off the NB plan all will be golden again.

Advertisement