Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,593 ✭✭✭Wheeliebin30

You overdid it with the 'contributing to society' bit.

Ahhhhhhhh:)

Once again, I paid 21,000 tax last year, how much did these morons pay?

Corporation tax around 3k.

What about yourself?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

So they bought a few houses because they were in dangerous condition and people were living in them. That’s not the same as you are advocating Comrade.

A few houses? :D:D:D

Last time I checked, the entire neighbourhoods of Crumlin, Drimnagh, Dolphin's Barn, Gloucester Diamond, Killarney Court, Mercer Street, Cuffe Street, three large areas in Summerhill and dozens of others which I'd be happy to list for you, counted as more than just "a few houses". Not all of them were tenements, but all of them were acquired by compulsory purchase, cleared, and used to build fully council-owned estates.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 330 ✭✭All Seeing Eye

A few houses? :D:D:D

Last time I checked, the entire neighbourhoods of Crumlin, Drimnagh, Dolphin's Barn, Gloucester Diamond, Killarney Court, Mercer Street, Cuffe Street, three large areas in Summerhill and dozens of others which I'd be happy to list for you, counted as more than just "a few houses". Not all of them were tenements, but all of them were acquired by compulsory purchase, cleared, and used to build fully council-owned estates.

Anyway we already did a compulsory purchase a few years back it was called Nama. So we then sold these lands and properties on to private companies at a theoretical profit. So are you saying that we should now do another compulsory purchase of the stuff we just sold wasting more tax payers money as I’m sure the prices will be considerably higher. Sounds like shyster stuff from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I wasn't next nor near it today (city or protest), (the life of the self employed eh) but it would appear to me that it's keeping the issue fresh on people's minds, and highlighting it.
    The only thing they are highlighting is how much contempt they have for people who are trying to earn a living, and are probably paying a mortgage. Sitting down and blocking a main artery of the city so they can get a few headlines for themselves.

We go through this every year from hard left groups, and it's well past time the guards stopped indulging this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,444 ✭✭✭tigger123

The housing issue is starting to reach a tipping point. We can expect more and more of these types of protests as it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

Things are getting steadily worse for large sections of society as the economy overall performs better and better. It's only natural that people start to fight back.

• Advertisement

tigger123 wrote: »
    The housing issue is starting to reach a tipping point. We can expect more and more of these types of protests as it's gonna get worse before it gets better.

Things are getting steadily worse for large sections of society as the economy overall performs better and better. It's only natural that people start to fight back.

Large sections?

Any links etc to this claim?

hmmm wrote: »
    The only thing they are highlighting is how much contempt they have for people who are trying to earn a living, and are probably paying a mortgage. Sitting down and blocking a main artery of the city so they can get a few headlines for themselves.

We go through this every year from hard left groups, and it's well past time the guards stopped indulging this.

They blocked traffic ffs. People have a right to protest.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,079 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

The only thing they are highlighting is how much contempt they have for people who are trying to earn a living. Sitting down and blocking a main artery of the city so they can get a few headlines for themselves.

They won’t be caught hole open like they were in Jobbo, hmmm.

That’s for sure.They have learned their lesson.

Freddo tells you that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

They didn't block "traffic". They are blocking the ability of people to move, and at the times they have chosen they are largely blocking the ability of workers to get home.

Large sections?

Any links etc to this claim?

From Cso.ie, referring to the 2016 census-

"Rented accommodation has continued its upward trend with 497,111 households renting, an increase of 4.7 per cent on 2011. This meant that renting was the tenure status for almost 30 per cent of all of occupied dwellings in the last census."

• Advertisement

They didn't block "traffic". They are blocking the ability of people to move, and at the times they have chosen they are largely blocking the ability of workers to get home.

Really? On a Saturday?

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

And what of others rights to do what they're doing (going home etc) who's rights are more important and why does one superceed the other?

You can protest for months on end on the path outside leinster house if you want and it won't put others out.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,208 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

What about yourself?
    Run for election. You hero.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

The average number of occupants per dwelling, after a steady decline from 1900 to 2011, rose for the first time since data was collected between 2011 and 2016, a definite sign of deteriorating housing standards for a significant section of the population.

From Cso.ie, referring to the 2016 census-

"Rented accommodation has continued its upward trend with 497,111 households renting, an increase of 4.7 per cent on 2011. This meant that renting was the tenure status for almost 30 per cent of all of occupied dwellings in the last census."

Great so you showed a link for how many people rent.

Now have you a link for your claim its getting harder for large sections of society?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

What about yourself?

Ok, ok... if it'll prevent me from having to witness the unedifying spectacle of a stranger on the internet publishing documentary evidence of his tax returns, in a desperate bid to prove that he has contributed something positive to society... can I just say I believe you. Your protestations have absolutely convinced me.

Really? On a Saturday?

Quite lot of people work on the weekends you know.

Anything you do on the weekends that have staff for instance......

pjohnson wrote: »
    Run for election. You hero.

Nope just an answer and question as said poster questioned if I contributed to society.

And what of others rights to do what they're doing (going home etc) who's rights are more important and why does one superceded the other?

You can protest for months on end on the path outside leinster house if you want and it won't put others out.

I spose your the type who sticks your car up on footpaths then.

Nope just an answer and question as said poster questioned if I contributed to society.

Such a martyr <3

• Advertisement

Great so you showed a link for how many people rent.

Now have you a link for your claim its getting harder for large sections of society?

I was referring to people who rent in my original post. More people are renting, and life is becoming more difficult for people who rent.

I spose your the type who sticks your car up on footpaths then.

Yeah..... Sure...... Whatever floats your boat there chap.

That sure answered the post concisely.

I was referring to people who rent in my original post. More people are renting, and life is becoming more difficult for people who rent.

For the 500,000 people?

Have you a link to your claim?

On a saturday?

Yeah..... Sure...... Whatever floats your boat there chap.

That sure answered the post concisely.

You are crying over blocked roads. You said they can block the path instead.

Inconvenience some but just not me eh?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Nice twist.

I take it you support Ms Cash and her burglar fella?

Oh and she is a criminal too.

Know next to shag all about her or her fella, and care for either less so.

What I do know though is that she's being pointed at by yourself and others like the protests and housing crisis is about her, and only her.

10k last I heard, which is a shocking figure if true.

You are crying over blocked roads. You said they can block the path instead.

Inconvenience some but just not me eh?

Who would they be inconveniencing? There's plenty of room on the path on the other side of the road.

When youre sitting in a car in a line of traffic on the quays and the road is blocked you can't exactly just do a u turn or nip across the hapenny bridge.

Know next to shag all about her or her fella, and care for neither less so.

What I do know though is that she's being pointed at by yourself and others like the protests and housing crisis is about her, and only her.

10k last I heard, which is a shocking figure if true.
    It seems AH has a huge fetish over her, if she does anything on FB theres a gaggle rushing here to report it. :pac:

Defo have her bookmarked and checked every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

It seems AH has a huge fetish over her, if she does anything on FB theres a gaggle rushing here to report it. :pac:

Long running thread in here about her.

Had a peak today, W.B has a fairly high post count in it alright, bit of an obsession it would seem.

Don't get the obsession myself, she's only going to get publicity te more she's discussed.

• Advertisement

For the 500,000 people?

Have you a link to your claim?

I don't have a definitive link to hand to back up my claim.

I stand by my original point though. The issue of housing is reaching a critical mass. And I think the civil disobedience around it wll only increase as it continues to reach up through society and affect the middle classes.

Look at what happened with the Vietnam war i
    the US. There was no urgency around it until the Government started drafting middle class college students. Then the protests really started kicking off.

Advertisement