Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Frederick St protest and reaction

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭RobbieMD

As you can see, I am not claiming they were totally anonymous. They were effectively anonymous to anyone who would simply have been observing from the street, for example as a witness, and that's part of where the problem lies.

As with any refusal to comply with a court order, the courts can imprison or fine individuals for contempt, the latter can be attached to earnings from employment or social welfare income.

And the protestors will just leave their names and addresses and PPSN on a sheet for the property owner?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,628 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

dav3 wrote: »
    What a strange story. It's seems to have backfired for a lot of people.

Fine Gael desperate to throw off their 'posh boys' image and being out of their depth, are now viewed as being out of touch with the working class, stumbling from one disaster to another as the housing crisis worsens.

A new Garda commissioner with a suspect past, trying to act like Dirty Harry in his first few days, decides to bring in the riot squad wearing balaclavas, while the ordinary rank and file walk around unmasked.

A slum landlord who's hired goons turn up in an untaxed van which probably wouldn't pass the NCT, a van which also has a history of being used as a tactical aid unit in the greater manchester police.

A curious case indeed.
    Saw this elsewhere (Irelaid Simpsons Fans), the story is generating quite a bit of attention alright

41516647_10156884826379560_8645041182776229888_o.jpg?_nc_cat=0&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=2beb3b302bc155352c2f96816cacd715&oe=5C360D08

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

seamus wrote: »
    I did think it was the Shinnerbots making the most noise about this alright, I just wasn't sure until you posted this.

It's ironic considering your own love affair with balaclavas.

Just shows the Shinner scumbag attitude hasnt gone away. Usual scrotes with tattoos and fags in the arse pocket. Varadkar and Martin correct to keep them outside the door. Sooner or later people will see through the Shinner magic beans policies

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,759 ✭✭✭jobbridge4life

Edgware wrote: »
    Just shows the Shinner scumbag attitude hasnt gone away. Usual scrotes with tattoos and fags in the arse pocket. Varadkar and Martin correct to keep them outside the door. Sooner or later people will see through the Shinner magic beans policies

If anyone thinks AGS press office, or An Taoiseach woke up today and thought 'wow what a stunning PR coup we've pulled off' they are beyond deluded.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

If anyone thinks AGS press office, or An Taoiseach woke up today and thought 'wow what a stunning PR coup we've pulled off' they are beyond deluded.

Do you actually think the taoiseach had any involvement in such mundane day to day operations of the Gardai, I'd be surprised if the commissioner had any involvement.

The Gardai are in the job of applying and enforcing the law, not PR.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Do you actually think the taoiseach had any involvement in such mundane day to day operations of the Gardai, I'd be surprised if the commissioner had any involvement.

The Gardai are in the job of applying and enforcing the law, not PR.
    Ha, that's an understatement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

A lot of lunatics in this thread. But I just want to add something.
    I saw earlier someone comparing this to Rosa Parks and I would like to clarify a bit.
    These protestors don't compare to Rosa Parks.
    Firstly, Rosa Parks was a fraud and her bus protest was orchestrated. The famous photo of her sitting on a bus has her sitting beside white journalists who were asked to attend.
    Secondly she didn't stink of booze and welfare scrounging.
    Thirdly I hope the poor Gardai on duty are wearing gloves when they scrape their heads off the pavement.

cursai wrote: »
    I saw earlier someone comparing this to Rosa Parks and I would like to clarify a bit.
    Firstly, Rosa Parks was a fraud and her bus protest was orchestrated.
    Wow, that took a sharp turn into the bizarre.

We're the luntaics, and Rosa Parks was a fraud. Gotcha

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Firstly, Rosa Parks was a fraud and her bus protest was orchestrated. The famous photo of her sitting on a bus has her sitting beside white journalists who were asked to attend.
    Thirdly I hope the poor Gardai on duty are wearing gloves when they scrape their heads off the pavement.

Oh yes, so many lunatics. You, on the other hand, are clearly a very balanced person. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 498 ✭✭zapitastas

A little ironic you calling other people lunatics and coming out with that. The Rosa Parks photo was staged and she wasn't a meek woman on her way home. She was an active civil rights activist of many years and endangered her wellbeing by taking a stand that way she did. Calling her a fraud is pretty low. Maybe the term you were looking for is uppity

• Advertisement

RWCNT wrote: »
    Oh yes, so many lunatics. You, on the other hand, are clearly a very balanced person. :rolleyes:

No YOU on the other hand are a clearly balanced person. lol ROFL.

Is that how these passive aggressive meek insults work?

zapitastas wrote: »
    A little ironic you calling other people lunatics and coming out with that. The Rosa Parks photo was staged and she wasn't a meek woman on her way home. She was an active civil rights activist of many years and endangered her wellbeing by taking a stand that way she did. Calling her a fraud is pretty low. Maybe the term you were looking for is uppity

Its not ironic. And she was in no danger from the journalists.

No YOU on the other hand are a clearly balanced person. lol ROFL.

Is that how these passive aggressive meek insults work?

Not at all, I'm making fun of you for calling other people lunatics while appearing like an angry nut yourself due to the content of your post. You're just saying "no u".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

I see the latest destination is a house on Belvedere Place, which just recently received planning permission for conversion into 4 separate apartments. How exactly is occupying this house and preventing development going to help the housing issues we have?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

To be honest first thought when I saw this was "about time."And I'm pretty certain I wasn't the only one.

Same lefty whinging professional protesters who demand rights and ignore responsibilities and contribute nothing.. Sick to the teeth of watching them ride roughshod over the rule of law and grab all the media hype and then when someone attempts to enforce the law they scream harassment.

I remember watching those Jobstown prats standing on stage with a fake noose around their necks, fake blindfold over their heads and fake handcuffs behind their backs decrying the brutality of the state and raising funds while the same state was paying for their defense.. How my phone screen survived I will never know..

RWCNT wrote: »
    Not at all, I'm making fun of you for calling other people lunatics while appearing like an angry nut yourself due to the content of your post. You're just saying "no u".

No no no. I'm making fun of YOU for call other people lunatics whilst appearing etc etc.....

Wow, I'm enjoying this verbal exchange. I hope its intellectually vacated enough.

Amirani wrote: »
    I see the latest destination is a house on Belvedere Place, which just recently received planning permission for conversion into 4 separate apartments. How exactly is occupying this house and preventing development going to help the housing issues we have?

Because one of the flats wasn't specifically offered to one of their hags and brats.

No no no. I'm making fun of YOU for call other people lunatics whilst appearing etc etc.....

Wow, I'm enjoying this verbal exchange. I hope its intellectually vacated enough.

:rolleyes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEZFci9eaNE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,837 ✭✭✭Sweet.Science

Where does this end ?

Can i occupy someones car if i cant afford one and dont work to try get one ?

Can i take their clothes if that have too much and i want them ?

Amirani wrote: »

Because it's getting attention and keeping the issue in the public eye and being talked about, it's not rocket science

• Advertisement

Because it's getting attention and keeping the issue in the public eye and being talked about, it's not rocket science

or because they've nothing else to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

It's good to get folk talking but what do they actually want to come of it? If it's not rocket science please lay it out for me..

All I can see on social media today is people calling for compulsory possession and asset stripping of property in order to give it up for permanent housing for the homeless? (regardless of where within the broad definition of homeless a person may find themselves)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/social-affairs/protesters-occupying-third-vacant-property-in-dublin-city-centre-ordered-to-leave-1.3626722

comments deteriorated quickly into insanity and veiled threats and raving nonsense

next one lined up already , already planning permission that building but now all delayed until these parasites can be removed .
    its starting to look like these people arent protesting against homelessness . they are protesting against having to pay for homes

All I can see on social media today is people calling for compulsory possession and asset stripping of property in order to give it up for permanent housing for the homeless?
    Why is that so awful? We do that to build motorways, it's called compulsory purchase.

Why is that so awful? We do that to build motorways, it's called compulsory purchase.

CPO's would be fine by me, these people are calling for asset stripping, soviet style.

CPO's would be fine by me, these people are calling for asset stripping, soviet style.
    Have you seen a spokesperson or any politician involved with the protest saying that?

Or are you talking about your friends on social media who may not even have been present?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

If it's not the Garda's responsibility to remove people from a property after a court orders them to leave, who's responsibility is it? And what happens if the protesters refuse to move for the non-garda people?

I don't particularly like the idea of the Garda wearing balaclava's, but i can understand why they do.

Have you seen a spokesperson or any politician involved with the protest saying that?

Or are you talking about your friends on social media who may not even have been present?

Did I mention a politician or 'spokesperson'? I am talking about public opinion that I have noticed on social media, i.e. shared posts, comment sections, event comment sections... How the would I know if they were present or not?

FWIW I think there is a huge housing issue here, I just don't want to see a vitriolic divide rise in our society over issues that can be solved without attacking people just because they happen to own property.

Kiith wrote: »
    If it's not the Garda's responsibility to remove people from a property after a court orders them to leave, who's responsibility is it?
    Bailiffs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

Delighted to see them fúcked out on their arses.

Advertisement